Great Leather!

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

Re: Great Leather!

#376 Post by romango »

Jon,

The leather is close to my ideal for shoemaking. Of course, that was it's intended use. It's about 1.1 to 1.3 mm thick with a firm hand but stretches nicely in one direction.

Quality can be a little harder to be sure of with patterned leathers but is seems pretty good quality as far as I can tell.

I'll know more when I actually make some shoes.

At the price, it's hard top go too far wrong.
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#377 Post by dearbone »

Rick,

I have an order for a pair of blue and white golf shoes for months, the reason i haven't proceeded with them was lack of good water proof leather for golf shoes,It might be a good chance to find the leather i need for this golf shoes.Thanks for the tip.

Nasser
jkrichard
Full Name: Jeffrey K Richard

#378 Post by jkrichard »

Every once in awhile the school's instructor, Mike Dewitt, will come in early and place a swatch of 'something' on my workspace--- the last swatch of 'something' was a piece of tanned beaver tail. If I can try to remember to get a pic of it--- it's like an alien Scotch grain, neat looking stuff.

Does anyone know of a source that might carry tanned beaver tail? I thought maybe some of the Canadian brethren might now of a wholesaler or tannery...

-Jeff
Member, HCC
kieran_ionescu
Full Name: Kieran Ionescu
Been Liked: 1 time

#379 Post by kieran_ionescu »

Sheridan in Wyoming has beaver tail. I think it would be difficult to make shoes out of, but they would look neat for sure.

K.
guy_shannon

#380 Post by guy_shannon »

Jeff.

I will see what I can find out about tanned Beaver tail here.

As a scout we used to make lacing with it, you can get about 300 feet from a tail but I dont think it would be good to last.......just so you know there are about 100 million jokes on this subject and dont google tanned beaver tail unless you have loose morals and a good antivirusImage

Guy Shannon
Shoe Guy's Quality Shoe Repair
Prince Albert Saskatchewan Canada
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies

#381 Post by dearbone »

Jeff,

My beaver said, His tail is not for sale and not good for shoes.
10610.jpg

Cheers
Nasser
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jkrichard

#382 Post by jkrichard »

Kieran,
Thanks for the tip!

Guy,
Sadly, I keep my Google 'safe search' option on 'off' and I have already been mentally and emotionally damaged. O.o

Nasser,
I don't think your beaver is being very objective...

-Jeff
Member, HCC
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#383 Post by paul »

Jeff,

Leather Unlimited has had in the past. Looks like not right now. I would guess it's seasonal.

The link below does have beaver skin listed. Maybe a phone call would provide more info.

http://leatherunltd.com/furs/natural/natural.html

Best Wishes,
Paul
jkrichard

#384 Post by jkrichard »

Paul,
Thank you, will give them a shout. Though, it appears they deal primarily in furs and hair-on...the sample I have is an aniline dyed piece. But I'll give 'em a shot.

Thanks,

-Jeff
Member, HCC
ephraim

#385 Post by ephraim »

To DWII, from "Ephraim" (Brett):

To continue the conversation we were having earlier via a different context: I am a bit confused by your mention of SP being out of business. I think I talked with "David" (last name?) last week from there. At any rate, I'll check in with them again, and - failing that possibility - I'll check with Warkov-Safir.

One question about the Warkov-Safir insoles. I don't mind softness, per se; but is there is a higher risk of tear-through with the inseaming on the W-S stuff than with the Baker? I work with Baker all the time,...know its strengths and weaknesses,...so I would like to bench mark the W-S leather against Baker's.

Another question: Have you ever used the German acorn-tanned Redenbach for handwork? Al says it wears like iron, but he's never tried using it for anything else than machine-sewn soles. If you have experience with this, I would be grateful.

Looking forward to your reply, Sir, I remain,

Yr. Humble Srvnt., &c.,
+Bt.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#386 Post by dw »

Brett,

You're correct. SP has not gone out of business...it has just changed hands. I dealt with Dave Foster for so many years and trusted his integrity and his knowledge of leather so implicitly that, for me, it was that same a closing.

I don't know if the new owner is offering the insole shoulders but I understand he came late to the leather business.

I have inseamed Warkov-Safir and i think it is just as good as, or maybe even a little better than the SP was. As you suggest, softness doesn't automatically undermine the strength...the length of the fiber mat is more of a factor, I think.

I like the valona tanned leather better than much of the domestic stuff but it is somewhat brittle. I have seen outsoles crack before their time. I like chestnut tans the best.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor

#387 Post by lancepryor »

Brett:

I've never used the JR leather, but I've been told that their outsoles are a bear to sew by hand, at least with a square awl at 10 spi.

If you try it, perhaps you can let us know your experience with it!

Thanks,
Lance
jesselee
Full Name: Jesse Lee Cantrell

#388 Post by jesselee »

All,

Where can I purchase real French waxed hide that are Oak or veg tanned. Does such an animal still exist?
Cheers,
JesseLee
janne_melkersson
Full Name: Jan-Erik Melkersson
Been Liked: 1 time

#389 Post by janne_melkersson »

Lance,
JR has straighten it out. They have a line of leather they call "flexible" which still is on the hard side but workable.
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 136 times

#390 Post by das »

Jesse,

Only game in town I know for black waxed flesh uppers is Dickens Brothers, Northampton, UK. It's about all we use for uppers. All veg-tanned I.E. kips, whole-grain, not split down. Not a shadow of the waxed-calf of 30 years ago, but at least it's "close".
jesselee

#391 Post by jesselee »

Al,
Thanks, I'll write them for a sample.

Cheers,
JesseLee
spleathersales
Full Name: Erica Marquez

#392 Post by spleathersales »

We still offer insole shoulders and are looking to expand our inventory of leathers used for footwear.

Please let me know if there is anything in particular you are looking for.

Best,
Erica
SP Leather Sales
courtney
Full Name: courtney schamach

#393 Post by courtney »

I live pretty close to Stevenson Paxton, I have been over there a few times and they are always real nice, I met Big Dave and Little Dave so I dont know whose who. Anyway When I first went it was cool and then next time they had half the shop closed and it was not looking good, next time I went they had more space than before tons of leather everything was organized and Big Dave was tottaly into supplying boot and shoemakers. I dont know a whole lot about leather but I know SP is still there and really want to supply to boot and shoe makers, and have a really nice space with alot of nice leather and are cool people.
courtney
Full Name: courtney schamach

#394 Post by courtney »

I just looked at thier website and it says they moved to south san francisco, so what do I know.
jesselee

#395 Post by jesselee »

Erica,

I am looking for the best innersole and sole leather as well as quality Oak tanned 3/4 hides such as is used in tooling. Tou can email me at jesseleecantrell@yahoo.com for website information.

Cheers,

JesseLee
dw
Seanchaidh

#396 Post by dw »

Courtney,

And as far as I know, neither of the "Daves" made the move. Dave Foster, who started the business and who always seemed to know what was being talked about when we talked leather; and was always open to the needs of boot and shoemakers; and who I trusted unquestioningly, is now completely out of the picture.

Makes me sad. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
spleathersales
Full Name: Erica Marquez

#397 Post by spleathersales »

Unfortunately Dave Foster chose to leave SP Leather Sales. We would have liked for him to have made the move with the company, as his knowledge in leather was a valuable asset to us.

Our company has moved locations, but overall has the same goal of providing quality leather to our customers. All we can ask in moving forward is that you would be willing to give us a chance.

Best,
Erica
SP Leather Sales
dw
Seanchaidh

#398 Post by dw »

All,

Silverstone Fabrics on Ebay has some black Scotch Grain on sale. I think there's 20 hides averaging about 28 Sq. Ft. ea. & running $126.00 per hide...Buy Now. You can buy one or 20.

"Scotch Grain is vegetable tanned, aniline dyed and then polished. All hides are full grain of European origin." Originally $18.00 sq.ft.

Here's a link

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
athan_chilton
Full Name: Athan Chilton

#399 Post by athan_chilton »

Is this leather OK for shoes or is it heavier, i.e., boot leather? My first customer, (if I can figure out what last to use!) has no idea what leather he would like. The shoes will be over the ankle boots but made on a shoe last...
dw
Seanchaidh

#400 Post by dw »

Athan,

It's running about three ounce which is one of those sweet spots for thickness....good for both men's and womens shoes (maybe a little better for men's.

It is however, a veg tan...which brings its own set of requirements...and, like all the Edleman leathers, it was originally tanned and finished for upholstery work.

Several of us have used the Edleman Luxe which is a smooth aniline calf and like it very well. The Scotch grain is lovely to look at. I just bought some brown.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member