Great Leather!

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
homeboy
Full Name: Jake Dobbins
Has Liked: 111 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Re: Great Leather!

#751 Post by homeboy »

Dee-Dubb,
You know....they informed me that they couldn't get the "rolled" shoulders during our conversations, but to tell ya the truth, I'm kinda glad they sent "rolled". Don't know why, I've never worked with this leather. But during our talks, I was sure you said you might prefer the "rolled" over the "unrolled".

Either way, we'll see how I like it. I'll report back as soon as I have a chance to fool around with another pair of boots.

I would encourage others to do the same. DW and I aren't the final say on this leather. But if DW Frommer says it's good leather, I would bet my last biscuit it's good! (not to put you on the spot Dee-Dubb :thumb: ). I would like to remind everyone that Berger has gone out on a limb, so to speak, to provide a leather they don't usually carry. Try some....see how you like it!

Appreciate everyone's time! Merry Christmas!

Adios, Jake
What one man has done....another can do.
homeboy

#752 Post by homeboy »

Ok....more info!

Berger is selling the bundles by the kg....$8.99/kg. A bundle is averaging between 7 - 9.5 kg. You can do the math (2.2lbs/kg).
I ordered a couple of bundles. They will be delivered Monday. I'll be too busy in the office to mess with them next week, but will follow-up as soon as possible.

If you got any questions, just let me know!

Adios, Jake
bcFour
Full Name: Bob Bautista
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 47 times

#753 Post by bcFour »

So I just got back from the UK and if anyone finds themselves in Northampton (or within trains' reach of Northampton) - I was introduced to Keith at Lyons Leather. He's an old shoemaker and has a warehouse full of one-off skins. Not the sort of thing you'd want to buy sight-unseen, but spend a few hours (or days) in there and you'll walk away with some great leather for next to nothing. I couldn't believe how much I didn't spend!!

also, @homeboy , do you have a verdict yet on the Berger insole leather? thoughts?
NatchezRabbit
Full Name: David H Slay
Been Liked: 1 time

#754 Post by NatchezRabbit »

I am looking for black waxed calf to make some early 18th century military shoes. Where can I purchase it now that Dickens Brothers has stopped?

Thanks,

David
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#755 Post by dw »

A.A. Crack carries something that is a reasonable facsimile being made by Horween. It's not historically correct in how it is made but it looks real close. See my IG pageThere are a number of examples of both the Horween and some I made myself using an old recipe. The latest three (?) posts feature some Horween that a customer brought back from the UK.

Hope that helps...
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
NatchezRabbit

#756 Post by NatchezRabbit »

Thank you. I will check it out.
Norwegian Welter
Full Name: FGBR
Has Liked: 1 time

#757 Post by Norwegian Welter »

I have no experience with it myself, but Crack also carries black waxed calf from J&FJ Baker, might be worth a look:

https://www.aacrack.co.uk/tanneries/j-f ... 13-15.html
NatchezRabbit

#758 Post by NatchezRabbit »

Thank you!
NatchezRabbit

#759 Post by NatchezRabbit »

What thickness will I need for the uppers for a military shoe? Crack's offering is 1.3 to 1.5mm.

Thank you,

David
dw
Seanchaidh

#760 Post by dw »

@das would be the one to answer this. Personally, I think you would need something on the order of 6-8 ounce (whatever that is in mm). I got some 6 ounce from Crack... (customer brought it back from UK) but it was Horween. Don't know if the Baker would be that heavy but if it were me...as much as the the Horween seems suitable at least in appearance...I think I would prefer the Baker if it wer available in the weights you want. It's certainly more historically correct.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 136 times

#761 Post by das »

The Bakers seems might thin. For military grade waxed calf, I'd go with a 2.2 to 2.4 mm thickness or 5-6oz. in US parlance.
NatchezRabbit

#762 Post by NatchezRabbit »

Thank you both for your willingness to share your knowledge.
deadfisheyes
Full Name: Nguyễn Hoàng Dũng

#763 Post by deadfisheyes »

What are you guys' opinions on using Veg tan shoulder as upper leather?

The Italian tanneries are very popular with their veg tan cow offerings, but I see that it's usually in Double shoulder or belly cut e.g. Buttero by Walpier, Minerva by Badalassi Carlo

Many casual bootmakers in Japan, Indonesia use those leather for their boots.

I'm new to the forum and hope to learn more from the elders here.

H.D
dw
Seanchaidh

#764 Post by dw »

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy.

Nothing wrong with vegetable tanning for upper leathers. Some high end shoes where custom dyeing and finishing is wanted, are made with crusts...which often are veg.

That said, as with any other animal skin, shoulder is not prime. And belly is far from prime. And when the animal is older, those cuts are even less prime.

Whether they are suitable for shoes or boots comes down to whether you are making high end shoes and boots or work boots or some other footwear that doesn't require best quality or best practices.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
deadfisheyes

#765 Post by deadfisheyes »

Thank you DW.

Here,the high end crust calf mainly used for shoes are Chrome tanned from Annonay or Du Puy. Veg crust can be found too, either Italian or Indian, Bangladesh; but I'm pretty apprehensive about trying them.

I'm curious about the usage of Veg shoulder because I saw that they are favored by "White Kloud", a Japanese Bespoke Bootmaker. His style is clearly workboot-ish, though the finishing is pretty high end. The leather is Badalassi Carlo. I saw that this tannery only does veg tanning and only produce shoulder cut.

Does the shoulder, being less prime, affect the longevity of the boots?
dw
Seanchaidh

#766 Post by dw »

Yes, also structural integrity and the way the shoe creases (generally unevenly and almost randomly)
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
deadfisheyes

#767 Post by deadfisheyes »

I keep seeing work/heritage boots brands like Nick's talk about their oak tan leather insole/heel/outsole. Apparently, those are tanned in the USA, not JR or Baker. Where can you find these US tanned oak tanneries?
dw
Seanchaidh

#768 Post by dw »

Maybe nowhere...although having said, that a distinction must be made between what Americans call 'Oak Tan" and what really is oak tan. Americans are famous for playing fast and loose with definitions.

AKAIK, all the 'oak tan' leather commercially tanned in the US is actually tanned with synthetic tannins with a smidgen of extracts for exotic South American barks such as Quebracho, and it's all called 'oak tanned' despite having zero oak tannins or bark.

And some of it is relatively good leather but none of it can hold a candle to Baker.

IMO....
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Harkmark sko
Full Name: Dina Harkmark Lie

#769 Post by Harkmark sko »

My name is Dina I come from Norway, I have made shoes since 2006 the old bespoke way as I was fortunate to find Jan Petter Myhre in Oslo to teach me the basics.
I am however searching for tips on Leather for insoles to be worked by hand-tools. All the leathers I have bought so far has a bite to them, I understand they might be treated with some chrome or other "stuff". The truble is: I do not know what to ask for so I can get help ordering the right stuff, as hardly anyone selling leather in Norway makes shoes all by hand and therefor dont know what I talk about or what I want them to look for when I order something.
When I shop I allways do that in person, is there a look or smell to the real oak tan leather I want up against the next best thing. I have tried to read up on these things, but some posts are so old that things change in the meantime.
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 136 times

#770 Post by das »

This is not a commercial endorsement, but the last operating oak bark, pit-tannery in the UK, J. & F. J. Bakers is the only insole I use. Zero chrome, very nice and mellow to work, takes a deep footbed in wear.
carsten
Full Name: Carsten Metz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 48 times

#771 Post by carsten »

Two days ago Rendenbach announced that they are going out of business. Apparently the pandemic and the increasing trend towards sneakers are responsible for the shutdown. Looks like they are still receiving some orders but croupons and sole leather are already sold out.
carsten
Full Name: Carsten Metz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 48 times

#772 Post by carsten »

Deleting accidental double post.
nickb1
Full Name: Nick Bardsley
Has Liked: 44 times
Been Liked: 55 times

#773 Post by nickb1 »

Rendenbach gone .., wow. How depressing. I hope someone buys it out. the hell with sneakers ...
To each foot its own shoe.
Instagram
homeboy

#774 Post by homeboy »

I was able to get a bend and 10 pairs of outsoles before it vanished! SAD! :brickwall:
nickb1
Full Name: Nick Bardsley
Has Liked: 44 times
Been Liked: 55 times

#775 Post by nickb1 »

@homeboy What are the "bends" for Jake? I thought insoles should be shoulders. I see that there are still some in stock over here. 3.5mm and 5mm.
To each foot its own shoe.
Instagram