Tools of the Trade

Share secrets, compare techniques, discuss the merits of materials--eg. veg vs. chrome--and above all, seek knowledge.
kaspar
Full Name: Kaspar
Been Liked: 2 times

Re: Tools of the Trade

#1001 Post by kaspar »

Here are my two favorites. I have picked up the heads from the local market and made handles myself. Smaller is handmade head.
Bigger is IMO from 1900-1930. Can you tell the style or something....like: german, french... type?
4863.jpg
4864.jpg

K.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
firefly

#1002 Post by firefly »

All,

I was looking to pick up a 5 in 1. This is a Champion Model H. I am not familiar with the brand or for that matter am I completely familiar with the all the features of the 5 in 1 in general.

I was hoping that someone might give their opinion of this machine and if it might be an acceptable substitute for the old Landis 5 in 1.
4866.jpg

Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#1003 Post by dw »

Mark,

I used to own a Champion Model H. Nothing wrong with it if it's intact and has all its parts. The only criticism I can think of is that sometimes the welt press fixture will break right at the base...where it attaqched to the main head. It can't be welded reliably and it cannot be replaced--Landis parts won't fit..

I bought a Landis to replace my old H when it broke for the second time and sometimes I miss the Champion--it had a longer arm.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
firefly

#1004 Post by firefly »

DW,

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to get it at a reasonable price. Since I will not be producing a half dozen pairs of boots a week I thought it might hold up.

If Landis parts will not fit do you think that someone like pilgram might at least have replacement blades?

Again thanks,

Mark
dw
Seanchaidh

#1005 Post by dw »

Mark,

Oh yeah, Landis cutters will fit, so will the drive blade. No problem. It was only the welt press I had problems with. I had it welded once but when I went to have it welded again I was told that it wasn't likely to hold any better than the first time...if that long.

Maybe someone else has had a better or different experience.

Pilgim is a good source for replacement blades. And Ebay is a good place to locate and purchase 5-in-1's, and splitters too...if you're still looking...at reasonable prices. The only thing there is that it's pretty much "buyer beware."

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC

(Message edited by dw on March 06, 2007)
firefly

#1006 Post by firefly »

Thanks DW,

It is listed on eBay. If I can get it reasonably I think I'll try to pick it up.

Working with this soling has migrated me from "nice to have" to "neccessity" in a hurry. As sharp as I can get my little clicker knife it is still no match.

I'll keep up the search.

Thanks,

Mark
tomo

#1007 Post by tomo »

Hi all,
Quite often we come across old tools - the best kind, and they're usually quite rusty where some ol' girl or boy has had them in the shed since their granpappy use to do leatherwork and fix boots 'n' saddles.

I've been using a method that I think is the best and easiest way yet to remove the rust without damaging the tool.
If you follow the link below it'll take you to a site that explains it quite simply. And it is really easy, I put a dozen tools on an old oven rack and did them all at once.

http://www.htpaa.org.au/article-electro.php

Once the tools are dry, I'll give them a wipe over with Camelia oil, this oil is great for keeping the rust away especially if you live in a humid area, - I live about 2 minutes walk from the beach, and I know those of you who live in Florida have rust problems too.

More power to y'awl,
Tomo
chuck_deats

#1008 Post by chuck_deats »

Tom,

Thanks for the info; Best and clearest explaintion of the process I have ever seen. Will try it.
shoestring

#1009 Post by shoestring »

Is there a hand tool to make a serrated pattern on cut lines,and if so who would carry one and what's the correct name for that tool.

Ed
j1a2g3

#1010 Post by j1a2g3 »

Ed,

I have seen a couple of hand cranked pinking (not sure of the spelling) machines on e-bay. They look like they make a nice serrated edge in the pictures that where posted. Good Luck Joel
dw
Seanchaidh

#1011 Post by dw »

Ed, Joel,

Looking a lot like standard scissors, pinking shears are readily available anywhere sewing supplies are sold. And, if you look around you can find them in several sizes.

These kind of ornamental shears come in many different patterns too but most of the really fancy ones are made somewhat lightweight. Probably designed specifically for paper and fabric and wouldn't stand up to leather...at least not for long. I don't know that for certain but I would recommend sticking with the heavy all-metal pinking shears--I've used them for years.

BTW, I owned a pinking machine (might still have it somewhere around here) but there are variations and quality standards even for these machines. If you get one, be sure it has a cast cutting wheel and a nylon "underwheel." The one I had was a Singer but the cutting wheel was bent metal and it cut on a metal underwheel. It never did cut real clean. In my opinion, the shears are better for accuracy unless you are wanting to pink a long straight or gently curved edge.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#1012 Post by lancepryor »

Ed:

The pinking shears I've seen seem to make a bigger cut/pattern that that you see on shoes. The shoemakers/closers I've seen use a custom-made tool that fits in a sewing machine, in lieu of the needle; it has a tip that cuts the leather one 'triangle' at a time. I think Janne Melkersson had a picture of one posted here on the HCC some years ago. I've tried to track down the maker of that tool, but the guy who made them is retired. I've talked to Dick Anderson about this -- he might be able to make one, but I've not yet commissioned one.

If you come up with a solution, please let me know!

Lance
bjohnsonleather
Full Name: Bruce Johnson

#1013 Post by bjohnsonleather »

Ed,
Campbell-Bosworth makes a handcrank pinking machine. I have seen one set up, but didn't look closely at it or the cut. Looks like it sells for about $75 on their site. What I use is a pinking blade on a 45 mm rotary cutter (Olfa). I get cleaner cuts on leather than I can with shears. I buy blades at fabric or craft stores. The scrapbookers use them a lot and I have had a couple pinking blades in different size points. One was pretty small. I use a larger one for chap leather and have pinked up to skirting weights with it. Roll right through.

Bruce Johnson
dw
Seanchaidh

#1014 Post by dw »

Lance,

I've seen shears with the smaller teeth...in catalogs for shoe makers tools or shoe factory supplies--maybe Global Supply or someone like that.

But you are spot on about the sewing machine pinker. I'd like to have one of those myownself. Seems like all that stuff comes out of Italy or Taiwan when it's commercially made. I've heard of, but not actually seen, hole punches (even cluster hole punches) that also work in a sewing machine.

On that note, Geotz makes a series of strike punches that will do tiny hearts and diamonds, etc., as well as others with clustered holes for foxing and overlays.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
shoestring

#1015 Post by shoestring »

Guy's thanks for all the great information.If the one that's attatched on a sewing machine or something closer comes up please post. But in the mean time I will work with the ideas presented.Thanks

Ed
relferink

#1016 Post by relferink »

Minke has nice heavy duty scissors (page 3) and some very nice sets of punches a few pages down. They will ship to the US but make sure you are sitting down when you ask for a quote. Great quality stuff with prices to match.

Rob
dw
Seanchaidh

#1017 Post by dw »

Robert,

I'd not seen the Minke catalog before. It seems to be a good source for high quality tools. It is similar to Goetz...Goetz even carries the same set of ornamental punches (or a very similar set). Although I have not priced them in years, they were high when I did price them and i suspect the price differences would be minimal. But there are a couple of Goetz dealers in the US. Sometimes, for some items, you have to order and wait...but you'd have to do that ordering direct, as well. And a couple of those dealers carry frequently orders tools, etc., on hand.

Thanks for posting the catalogue.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
j1a2g3

#1018 Post by j1a2g3 »

Robert,

Great link!!! Thanks for Minke website, Joel
j1a2g3

#1019 Post by j1a2g3 »

Robert,
Do you have Minke phone number. I can't find it on the web. Thanks Joel
firefly

#1020 Post by firefly »

Joel,

I know that you didn't ask me but...

http://www.minke.de/index.php4?action=&sessionID=1295765209&user_no=192821&rando m=1199981947&CODE=&lang=en

All of their catalogues are online.

Thanks,

Mark
relferink

#1021 Post by relferink »

Thanks Mark, it is under the contact tab. Since they are in Duisburg, Germany the number to dial directly from the US is 011 49 203 281 01 - 0
Their website is set up in a funny way that makes it hard to link to a specific page due to session cookies and that stuff. Their home page www.minke.de select English for your language unless you prefer German and brows from there. Their whole inventory is cataloged and worth taking a look at. I haven't found a price list on-line.

Rob
firefly

#1022 Post by firefly »

Hey Rob,

I actually requested a price list and I will let you know if I get one.

So many new toys Image

Thanks,

Mark
relferink

#1023 Post by relferink »

Thanks Mark. It's been a couple of years since I dealt with them but I've always enjoyed it due to the great quality of products. Once you have the price list I'd be interested in pricing out some items.

Rob
firefly

#1024 Post by firefly »

Rob,

I would be happy to make you a copy and send it your way as soon as I get it.

By the way...I am not sure what thread I am in. I am not really sure where I am most of the time, but I spoke with the Goldberg folks yesterday and they now sell their thread charts for $35. She said it had over 100 thread colors and it sounded like a good deal so I purchased one.

I'll let you guys know when I get that.

Thanks,

Mark
big_larry
Full Name: Larry A. Peterson

#1025 Post by big_larry »

Friends,

Today I discovered a way of improving the performance of my schiving knife. Some of you may already know about this but at last I think I have something worthwhile to share.

I made a schiving knife out of 440-C and it has really worked well for me. Today I was spraying a set of lasts with "Slick Silicone" which I have used for years to get rubber moulds to release from wax making knife guards and pommels. Today I sprayed my schiving knife and !!!Whoolaah It slides thr4ough the toughest of leathers.

The Slick Silicone helps get the last out of the boot when it can no longer live there. I have used oil on bow saws for years and I do not know why I did not use it bewfore? This might be a little thing but it can make life a little more enjoyable.

I purchase the silicone through a local jewelry supply, but I would guess is can be had anywhere casting supplies are sold.

Your friend, Larry Peterson