The Gallery

This is a photo gallery for members of the forum. Here you can share photos of your latest work for members to view. Like an Art gallery, however, where the exhibits come and go, photos will be deleted on a regular basis to save room on the server. Beauty, like Art, is fleeting.
Algansk
Full Name: Alan Marganski
Has Liked: 3 times

Re: The Gallery

#1651 Post by Algansk »

bcFour wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:02 pm almost to the day, 2 years after returning from my time with Carreducker, I finished my 20th pair - and here it is.

I realize a Norwegian stitch isn't everyone's bag, but I personally really like the look and more importantly, it is what was asked for. I think it works well with the Horween hatch grain and the casual natural vibe of their destination down in Bend OR.

As discussed in other threads, I holed these from the outside before lasting. It resulted in very even stitches even at the toe and heel.

Back of the envelope - almost 700 feet of thread in this pair of shoes... yikes!
Love the hatch grain leather. Beautiful!
Algansk

#1652 Post by Algansk »

bcFour wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:04 pm Horween Hatchgrain Split-toes. Milled kip lining. First 'shoes' closed on the new Pfaff.
Algansk

#1653 Post by Algansk »

Beautiful split toe, the fudging and outsole stitching is perfect! Do you mind if I ask which model Pfaff you used? I have been looking at a few Pfaffs. People either seem to love them or are luke warm on them. To me they are the BMW of sewing machines! Lol

Thanks,

Alan
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 8 times

#1654 Post by tjburr »

Another great AGM.

Here are a few pictures.
Matt have a wonderful presentation of women's shoes at the Fort.

PXL_20221022_135642377.jpg
How about Brett and some cool shoe pieces
PXL_20221022_170655000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjburr

#1655 Post by tjburr »

Some others were online so I did not get photos, though they were great.

Then some dinner.
PXL_20221023_004415046.jpg
PXL_20221023_004422426.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nickb1
Full Name: Nick Bardsley
Has Liked: 44 times
Been Liked: 55 times

#1656 Post by nickb1 »

Just off the lasts. Ladies Chelsea boots with sewn bevelled waists, piped topline and Cuban heels. The uppers were made by Dominic Casey, West End shoe and boot maker. Plus some pics from the making, including rescue work on the heels. I didn't use a regular "shover" with a break up at the ankle on the (shoe) lasts, but the distortion you can see there (at the ankle break) probably comes from the fact that I had given Dominic the lasts for pattern making before I built up the cone to conform to the short and long heel measurements. Mea culpa. I think that largely will go away with wear. Other things to work on include the sole stitching, which is still quite uneven in parts. Somehow even if the welt marking looks fine I am still getting the odd large or tiny stich here and there, and parts where they jump around away from the line.
DSC01404.JPG
DSC01405.JPG
DSC01408.JPG
DSC01344.JPG
DSC01273.JPG
To each foot its own shoe.
Instagram
tjburr

#1657 Post by tjburr »

I've been working on the shape of a 1400's style last. Still not totally happy but since I was going to England on vacation I made a pair to see how they felt roaming around castles. The toe is still a little tall and last shape in waist is a modern shape... Still a work in progress.

Cheated a little with a glue on sole since these we just mostly a fitter pair.
PXL_20230721_215337261.jpg
kemitchell
Full Name: Kyle Mitchell
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 6 times

#1658 Post by kemitchell »

I recently finished my first pair of shoes, some hand-sewn, hand-welted, ankle-height work boots, at least far enough to take to the cobbler for edge and heel sanding:

I'm also keeping a webpage with notes, thanks, suppliers, and a big, long list of mistakes I made in the process. The biggest disappointment was building the toe up so ugly, then leaving too little lasting allowance over it. The biggest payoff was the fit. With long, skinny flippers 11½″ heel to toe and barely 10″ around the joints, I've never had shoes that gripped my heel and freed my toes free like these.

I'm sure there are mistakes there I don't yet see, in addition to the many I do. Very grateful for any pointers or tips from the Crispin Crew!
nickb1
Full Name: Nick Bardsley
Has Liked: 44 times
Been Liked: 55 times

#1659 Post by nickb1 »

Good effort. Lasting the toe can be tricky with thick leather plus stiffeners. helps if you skive down the stiffener at the feather edge after lasting the stiffener over. You'll find other tips for this if you dig into the threads here e.g. on "wiping the toe". As for the long list of mistakes, it's suggested here to focus on 3 just things to improve for next time ;-) Nick
To each foot its own shoe.
Instagram
kemitchell

#1660 Post by kemitchell »

Thanks, nickb1! I appreciate the kind words.

I'm keeping an ever-growing list of questions about shoemaking, too. There's already one there about lasting toes with wire, like I've seen several Mexican western/cowboy boot makers do. But that's definitely to ponder another day.
carsten
Full Name: Carsten Metz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 48 times

#1661 Post by carsten »

Making the leather damp will also help to get a nice toe in case of a thicker upper leather -but more importantly the "wiping the toe" as Nick points out, will give good results. As far as I understand the wire lasting will work for the norvegian / double stitched construction but not for the classic welted construction. I agree with Nick on the list of mistakes. Don't be to hard on yourself and improve step by step.
kemitchell

#1662 Post by kemitchell »

Thanks, Carsten.

I may have given the wrong impression from my list of mistakes. I'm not browbeating myself at all. Just leaving notes for myself, later. I do tend to get a little disappointed when I make the same mistakes again.
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 136 times

#1663 Post by das »

While wire will work for "chasing wrinkles" at the toe, for welted work we often use a "toe wiper" in exactly the same way as the wire is used: take a 1/4" wide x 4"-5" long strip of strong uppers weight leather, wet it and pre-stretch it between two lasting pincers. After the vamp is lasted as smooth as you can get it, tack (2 tacks) one end of this strip securely amongst your lasting tacks maybe 2" off to the left of the center of the toe. Lay the strip outside of your lasting tacks right on top of the offending wrinkles. Grab the free end with lasting pincers and pull as hard as you dare around the toe and quickly secure the other end of the strip, likewise, ~2" to the right of the center toe and tack it securely. Then, with the pane of your hammer tap the "toe wiper" strip down as flat as you can to flatten the wrinkles underneath.
carsten

#1664 Post by carsten »

On my recent trip to Turkey I saw some traditional Ottoman-shoes. The shoes are flat and according to the maker (Ali Bayar, Selcuk close to ancient Ephesus) the upper is a veg tanned upper and the lining is made of goat leather. Only the heel has a stiffener. As I did not come across a similar bottom work, I thought it might be interesting to post a picture of the shoe here.

Here the sole is sewn directly on the shoe by hand - perhaps a little comparable to blake stitching. Except that the seam serves at the same time as a decorative stitching on the side of the sole.

I guess the shoes are sewn by pushing the curved awl into the side of the sole such that it exits the insole. This way the bottom of the sole stays entirely intact.

Not sure though if the visible thread might wear off quicker this way as it is more exposed than a normal inseam / blake stich.
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 136 times

#1665 Post by das »

That's a new one on me construction wise, but makes perfect sense for durability/protecting the thread.
kemitchell

#1666 Post by kemitchell »

carsten wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:42 am The shoes are flat and according to the maker (Ali Bayar, Selcuk close to ancient Ephesus) the upper is a veg tanned upper and the lining is made of goat leather.
Any idea about the outsole leather?

It is always hard to tell from pictures, but it looks soft to me. I can imagine that would make those curved stitches easier.
carsten

#1667 Post by carsten »

@kemitchell . Well, he said it's veg tanned as well, but its actually only a little softer than normal outsoles.

Speaking of it he also sells a version in which the sole tapers down to a point at the toe and rolls up building kind a very small toe box. Didn't take a picture of it though...