The Gallery

This is a photo gallery for members of the forum. Here you can share photos of your latest work for members to view. Like an Art gallery, however, where the exhibits come and go, photos will be deleted on a regular basis to save room on the server. Beauty, like Art, is fleeting.
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: The Gallery

#801 Post by lancepryor »

Here is a pair which is the result of my trip to spend time with Marcel in Budapest -- many thanks to Marcel for a very educational two weeks. It is humbling to get to observe someone who works with such a combination of skill and speed.

The pattern for this pair was made by Audrey, who is Marcel's pattern-maker. The sewing was done by me under the supervision of Erika, Marcel's closer. And, the making was done under Marcel's supervision (and more than occasional assistance).

I believe the leather for the upper is a crust leather, which I have finished with polish here in the states upon my return, and the bottoms were also finished after my return, so any shortcomings there cannot be blamed on Marcel!

I learned alot of 'tricks' from Marcel which I would say help the appearance of the finished shoes considerably.
13726.jpg

13727.jpg

13728.jpg

13729.jpg

Lance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cre8vmynd
Full Name: Casey Garton

#802 Post by cre8vmynd »

These are my first pair of handmade footwear. Uppers are cheap chrome from the scrap bin at Springfield Leather and they have full, sewn welt with cemented rubber outsole. Lots of fun to make too!
Casey...
13731.jpg
13732.jpg
13733.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fclasse
Full Name: Francis Classe
Been Liked: 1 time

#803 Post by fclasse »

A new pair of 1600s shoes that I finished up based on the pair in the Ashmolean museum in Oxford. Learned a ton on these and will be making another pair soon.
13744.jpg
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 8 times

#804 Post by tjburr »

It has been a while since I have posted so I wanted to post a few pictures.

A pair of renaissance shoes I made a few months ago.
13758.jpg

An ankle boot; slight variant of a button top. I did not enjoy this pair. If things could go wrong they did on this. Broken needles, difficult last pull, trouble getting the toe looking the way I wanted to...
13759.jpg

Have a good day!
Terry
tjburr

#805 Post by tjburr »

I thought I would post something a little different that I made awhile ago.

Motorcycle trunk bag. Made from black latigo with. Re-enforced to make sure it keeps it's shape.
13773.jpg

This was the first time I used rivets without my setter and I learned alot...I almost went back and re-done many of the first ones.

Terry
glenn
Full Name: Glenn McCune

#806 Post by glenn »

This is the first pair of shoes I've made.
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman

#807 Post by romango »

Here's something a little different...

Sort of a leather sneaker or walking shoe. Made on a low heel moccasin last, gossier double stitched welt to leather midsole and Vibram sole. Edelman Russian Calf, piped top line.
13825.jpg

13826.jpg

13827.jpg
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#808 Post by dw »

This was kind of an experiment for me...Italian kangaroo, gimped, brogued and antiqued.
13837.jpg

Also thought the bottoms came out pretty good. This was sewn with a curved needle stitcher.
13838.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
romango

#809 Post by romango »

A dance shoe for my upcoming display.
13840.jpg
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies

#810 Post by dearbone »

i will try again
13842.jpg
courtney
Full Name: courtney schamach

#811 Post by courtney »

Finally finished these! Built up last to accomodate orthotics, that was tricky. And put on external lift rocker sole. I think I'm going to be able to actually wear this pair. Closed on a flat bed, the only other machinery I used was a band saw and belt sander.
13853.jpg
13854.jpg
13855.jpg
13856.jpg
tjburr

#812 Post by tjburr »

my recent pair of shoes.

DW; I am still planning on providing step-by-step photos of how I close the balmoral boots. Unfortunately, I have only had time to pull the last out of these shoes since that discussion.
13860.jpg

Terry
luckyduck

#813 Post by luckyduck »

Here are some mango colored ostrich with cognac colored Finesse kangaroo from Hartke.
13898.jpg

The photo was taken in my home made light box with a point and shoot 12Mp camera on a tripod with no flash.

The boots turned out ok. The bottom work could have been better, but at least I know what needs to be done differently next time.
michael_nash

#814 Post by michael_nash »

Hi All,
Here are some wingtips I just finished.
13900.jpg
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor

#815 Post by lancepryor »

Here is a pair I just finished.

It is a pair of cap-toed Adelaide (U-throat) oxfords on my soft chisel toe last -- I really love the Adelaide design, which to my eye adds so much interest to an oxford, vs. the standard oxford with a quarter/vamp seam. The leather is brogued and gimped along the seams.

Leather was Edelman Luxe Calf in the Rootbeer color -- I really like this color, which is sort of a medium brown, but the leather had a bit more stretch than the other Luxe Calf I've used. If you look carefully, you can perhaps see the two toe caps are different lengths.

Outsole was the Milton Sokol Belgian, hand sewn at 10 spi.

I tried for a lighter edge finish, but I continue to be frustrated by my shortcomings in edge finishing.

The waist is beveled, with a very mild fiddleback sole.
13925.jpg

13926.jpg

13927.jpg

Lance
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#816 Post by dw »

Here's a couple of photos of a the second pair of boots that my student, Christophe, from Brussels has made with me.

Brown horween latigo, 1-5/8 cuban/military heel, full peg construction, Prussian blue monogram (CW)
13929.jpg

13930.jpg

13931.jpg

13932.jpg

Without "good," there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Little Jack Dandiprat in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives, the shorter he grows.[/center]
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray

#818 Post by jon_g »

(Message edited by Jon G on September 06, 2011)
michael_nash

#819 Post by michael_nash »

I just finished these wingtips.. They're my fifth pair and I tried quite a few new techniques here including 'insole up in waist', fiddle Back arch with (attempted) beveled waist, closed channel and reverse heel pocket lining. The leather I used was 'Worn Saddle' from Prime~a free sample panel from the rep paired with some cow suede I had lying around. The lining is calf from Pergamena and the soles and heels are JR. Now on to the next pair with a long list of improvements to make, hopefully in time for the AGM!
13939.jpg

13941.jpg

(Message edited by admin on September 08, 2011)
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray

#820 Post by jon_g »

New shoes!
13943.jpg
ana_santana
Full Name: Ana Luisa Santana

#821 Post by ana_santana »

Hello HCC! This one I made for my sister.
13945.jpg
13946.jpg
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies

#822 Post by dearbone »

A button boot in kangaroo and something i bought of a collector, there is veg feel to it and might be a re-tan, Our button boots come with a hook and a spare real vintage button, The buttons on the boot below are rare.
13948.jpg

Nasser
romango

#823 Post by romango »

Here is a recently completed pair of oxfords. I was particularly pleased with how the french edge turned out. GH French calf.
13955.jpg

13956.jpg

13957.jpg
idris_nowell
Full Name: Idris Nowell

#824 Post by idris_nowell »

I'm not sure these belong here with such beautiful shoes but I guess we all start somewhere and this is where I started; My first shoes.

Unknown leather from A&A Crack in Northampton. Every stitch sewn by hand though I punched the holes with a machine. Hand embroidered. 3/4 welted with premade welt (It has a rib on top that doesn't really suit a ladies shoe but it's what I could get hold of). Leather sole and stacked heel.

There are various things I'm not happy about. My back seam is bulkier than I'd like and the back seam in the lining tore so I had to stick a patch on the inside. I also managed to mark the uppers far too much when stitching the sole and scraping.

Comments and criticisms gratefully accepted.
13965.jpg

Idris
idris_nowell
Full Name: Idris Nowell

#825 Post by idris_nowell »

As asked, pictures of the heels and bottoms, I don't have the lasts with me at the moment but I should be able to get some pictures tomorrow. Please excuse the mucky bottom, they've been worn now.
13967.jpg
13968.jpg
13969.jpg