HCC meeting in Oct.

Do you know of a boot or shoe related event that might be of interest? Hear Ye, Hear Ye...
relferink

Re: HCC meeting in Oct.

#201 Post by relferink »

Colin,

Welcome to the Colloquy. I'm sorry I didn't have the pleasure of meeting you in person in Guthrie. Hopefully next time.
Thanks for sharing those pictures. Through all the pictures and stories I feel as if I get to experience the AGM from a distance.

For those who have not taken a look at Colin's profile, his personal quote is very suitable:
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need"

Isn't that true, in boot and shoemaking probably more than any other field.

Glad to have you here with us.

Rob
relferink

#202 Post by relferink »

Does anyone have video of the singing Yankee? Even a fuzzy cell phone video would do.
I heared Bruce showed of another one of his many talents and love to hear and see it.

Rob
danfreeman
Full Name: Dan Freeman

#203 Post by danfreeman »

What a pleasure to see you all in Guthrie, the old familiar, and so many new faces. I only hope everyone who attended did exactly as I: had an even better time than I expected, and learned even more than I'd hoped.
Jake: just send the bill, don't complain about it. My teeth are worth it. Nasser: If you think Jake's accent sounds like music, welcome to the HCC!
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#204 Post by dw »

Rick,

That great photo of Lisa, Terry, Bruce, Al and I should be framed and titled:

"The Ladies from Hades and the Sweetheart of the Rodeo."

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
dw
Seanchaidh

#205 Post by dw »

Dan,

I second that. When was the last time we saw you? 2001? You don't look 7 years older.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
danfreeman

#206 Post by danfreeman »

Yes, but you should see that portrait of me I've got hidden up in the attic. Actually, I think making footwear keeps you young!
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#207 Post by sorrell »

In case anyone was wondering about the mood of my curved needle since the AGM meeting...

I've stitched two pairs of soles and the machine is working beautifully. I think she's feeling guilty about responding so quickly to DW's charm and big-city ways so she's being extra nice to me.

Lisa
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#208 Post by paul »

Lisa, I was just in congress with my own curved needle and was having a tought for you and yours.

Glad to hear you two are back in a relationship. Your curved needle and you, I mean.

Good job, DW.
Paul
dw
Seanchaidh

#209 Post by dw »

Lisa,

Thanks for posting that. I had very little time with the machine but at the end there I thought I had a handle on it. Nice to know that I did you some good even if it cost you two hooks.

We all keep talking about are machines like sailors of old talked about their ships...as if they were female. And they certainly feel like they're female (at least to a man) when they are being temperamental. But I've always felt that if you like them and trust them...and give them everything they ask for Image...just like human females, they're all sweethearts.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
danfreeman

#210 Post by danfreeman »

That's truer than I like to admit. Only when you know your curved-needle stitcher well, and treat it (her? him?) as you know, through bitter experience, it must be treated, will you produce satisfying results.
cordphilip
Full Name: Philip J Taylor

#211 Post by cordphilip »

Hi there

The 2008 bash seems to have been a great success, I will get there one day but hey fella's, why do you always leave it to the last minute to decide where you're going to meet up !

Our UK meet is in February 2010 just outside London hosted by Peter Schweiger of James Taylor & Sons (of London).. we agreed the venue at our meet this year, we like 12 months so we can get organised.

Would really like to be there with you, this sounds fun.

Philip
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#212 Post by romango »

Anyone have a room to share at the AGM in Sturbridge before I try to book one?
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#213 Post by romango »

I've booked a room for the AGM friday and saturday nights. Anyone want to share it with me?
luckyduck

#214 Post by luckyduck »

Anyone driving out thru the MidWest and want to share gas/driving?

I'm in eastern Iowa and fairly close to I-80 or I-90 from the north. Sort of right in the corner of Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois.

Paul
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#215 Post by admin »

[center]We look forward to seeing you!

October 23-25, 2009
H.C.C. Annual General Meeting in
Old Sturbridge Village, Massachusetts
[/center]

Itinerary Update:
Friday, October 23
Registration from 3:00-5:00 p.m. at the Motel 6 - welcome and get acquainted with your fellow cordwainers!
Followed by the annual "Feasting and Drinking" at a fine local establishment

Saturday, October 24
Meet at Old Sturbridge Village for the Annual General Meeting (location and directions availalble at registration on Friday)
Followed by our day's feature presentations

Bruce Graham
Roundtable Discussion on How to Plan and Organize a Beginner's Shoemaking Class

Peter Oakley
Pegging 101 - How to Make a Pegged Shoe

Marc Carlson
"Where's my hammer?" Examining early historical tools through texts, images and archaeology

Nasser Vies
Approaching Pattern Cutting for Shoes, Taping Last to Obtain Form and its Application to the Geometry of the Pattern

Dan Freeman
Patternmaking Tricks and Ideas

Sharlot Battin
Canvas Last Draping Technique and a Discussion of Last Nomenclature

Nasser Vies
Making Hand Wax

Thanks in advance to all our presenters. More are welcome: All those interested in sharing a presentation, lecture or workshop are encouraged to contact Marc Carlson at marc-carlson@utulsa.edu, Al Saguto at dsaguto@cwf.org, or Peter Oakley at oakli81@msn.com - share your knowledge and skills!

Saturday Evening Group Dinner followed by Swapping and Trading (Bring your tools, work samples, shoes, cool stuff!)

Sunday, October 25
We will meet for breakfast, followed by additional presentations, time to tour Old Sturbridge Village and local Sturbridge, and possibly an exciting field trip. Stay tuned for more details!

Peter Oakley has reserved a block of 10 rooms at the Motel 6 in Sturbridge, Massachusetts for this year's AGM. The rate is $65.99/night double occupancy, and rooms are being held in the name of Cordwainers or Peter Oakley. The hotel is convenient to Old Sturbridge Village and area attractions.

Motel 6
408 Main Street
I-90 at exit #9/I-84 at Exit #3-B
Sturbridge, MA, 01566
Phone: (508) 347-7327 | Fax: (508) 347-2954

This year's meeting promises to be another great weekend of learning, fellowship and fun. In addition to the New England history nearby, OSV is one of the country's largest living history museums, with 59 historic buildings on more than 200 acres, practicing tradesmen and women in various areas, gardens and lots to see and do. We have a large meeting room at OSV reserved for members to share their skills and demonstrations.

We look forward to seeing you all in Sturbridge!
huia

#216 Post by huia »

For some reason I was not able to post the following on the bulletin board. I'll try my username and passwork here and see if it works. Transfer this for me? Thanks !

When coming to Massachusetts for the HCC Annual general meeting ... for those of you that have the time ... there is a shoe exhibit entitled 'The Perfect Fit" at the Fuller Craft Museum in Brocton, MA.

I have not yet taken time to see this exhibit, it promises to be visually pleasing, maybe not as informative as other venues. The Fuller is a showcase exhibiting and promoting "craft art" as "fine art." Visit their website at www.fullercraft.org if you like.
1947redhed
Full Name: Georgene Mckim
Been Liked: 1 time

#217 Post by 1947redhed »

Hooray Sylvia,
I'm looking for Shoe-ish things to do after the AGM.
Thank you for posting. I'm going! Hope to meet you at the AGM!

Anybody else know of things of a footwear nature to see between Sturbridge, Logan Airport, Lynne, Brockton, etc?
Georgene
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#218 Post by dearbone »

I booked a room for the AGM from Oct.22 to Oct.25 but i will there for Oct,26 as well, anyone interested in sharing this double occupancy,Please let me know.

Nasser
dearbone

#219 Post by dearbone »

One big request for volunteer/s who are driving to the AGM, i need for my tread wax making demo few items which i can't bring with me flying from Canada,so here are the 3 items i need to do this,
1-i need a small metal pan to melt one pound wax cake.
2-i need a bigger pot(metal or plastic) to fit one or two gallons of water to pour the hot wax in it.
3-i need a single burner gas stove,the one people take for camping will do. few drops of some veg oil i hope i can find around OSV.
I know it is a big list and your help will be appreciated,other wise i have to cancel the demo.So please let me know if you can help here.

Nasser
roy_najecki
Full Name: Roy Najecki

#220 Post by roy_najecki »

Nasser,

I live 45 minutes away from OSV and can provide all three items. My wife Debra has a few double boilers specifically for melting wax - for when she made candles. Item 2 is no problem. Item 3: Debra's horse riding buddy has two gas camp stoves which we can borrow. Vegetable Oil is no problem, and I'll provide that. If needed I've got lots of pure beeswax cakes (3 lb cakes). As I privately wrote to Al Saguto, I've got old stock from Rauch's Naval Supply: 4 lbs of Navy Pine Tar Pitch and 7 lbs of Gum Rosin WW (I have no idea what the WW means - that's what is written on the container). I'm eager to learn how to use all this stuff to make hand wax.
dearbone

#221 Post by dearbone »

Roy,

God bless you,your wife and your wife friend, I will sleep better tonight,Good on you and many thanks.
I will be interested in buying some of the pure bees wax if you can part with some,but bring samples of the rest, pitch and gum rosin.Thanks again and looking forward to meeting you at OSV.

Nasser
roy_najecki
Full Name: Roy Najecki

#222 Post by roy_najecki »

Nasser,

Your welcome. I've got about 20 lbs of beeswax and I'll bring plenty. I'll break some of the large cakes into 1 pound blocks. I've got a battery powered digital weight scale that I'll bring along. That might be handy to confirm what weight proportions of ingredients are being used to make the hand-wax.

Thank you for doing this seminar. I've been waiting years to see this done. It's one thing to read how to do it, and quite another to see it done.

Roy
dearbone

#223 Post by dearbone »

Roy,

There are two methods and maybe more for making hand-wax,I follow the method my teacher showed me,who also taught me thread making,this method consist of using two separate balls of waxes for thread making,the first is the pure pine sap (Norfolk pine)that is boiled,the scums will raise by heating the sap and can be removed,nowadays it comes in one pound cakes and very clean and it is this method i will show,Al is a master at the other method,maybe he will show both of us if we ask politely and buy the book.

Cheers
Nasser

(Message edited by dearbone on October 06, 2009)
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#224 Post by paul »

It's gettin' close folks. I guess I'm excited. (Tho I'm not looking forward to the flight).

Two things;

Would anyone like to share a rental car ride Thursday afternoon, and back Monday morning with my wife and I? Boston to Sturbridge.
paul@leatherimages.com

And how about a book recommendation for a historical novel that well depicts the area's attraction?
(You'll have to excuse me, I'm a Californian, not that there's anything wrong with that)

TIA,
Paul
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor

#225 Post by lancepryor »

Is there any more detail about the Friday evening and Sunday morning get-togethers, i.e. locations and times? Alas, I can't be there on Saturday, because I have to attend a Bar Mitzvah that day. However, I am interested in dropping in one or both of the other days, so I can meet folks and say hi.

Lance