Lasts

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: Lasts

#176 Post by walrus »

To all I do have several runs of wooden lasts available you can check them out at our web site I have been posting more things every day.I hope this helps .Let us know if we can help.
www.walrusshoe.com
Larry Waller
Walrus Shoe & Leather Co.
btippit

#177 Post by btippit »

Rusty,

No, I don't work for a shoe company, just in the shoe business (CAD/CAM supplier). You might want to watch the ventilation when you're burning those lasts. I don't know about the last slip they put on production lasts but that urethane sealer we used to put on the turning models could get you quite a buzz in a closed in area.

Bill
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 151 times
Been Liked: 137 times

#178 Post by das »

Bill,

"Encouraging"?! Heck, my e-mail alone oughta have you looking for your color choice in a Porche Boxter Image
Uilliam

#179 Post by Uilliam »

Bill,

Do you know of a shoe/last CAD program that will run on a Mac? I am interested in using it to design lasts for medieval styled footwear and thought I'd ask. You can reply to uilliam@earthlink.net if your answer falls outside the guidelines of this list.

Thanks for your consideraton,

William
btippit

#180 Post by btippit »

William,

Sorry, all of the systems I'm familiar with, including ours are PC based. If I hear differently I'll let you know but the big push the past several years has been to get any older systems that were originally on Unix workstations ported over to Windows. I don't know of any shoe specific programs on Mac.

Bill
Uilliam

#181 Post by Uilliam »

Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I had to ask though, one never knows. It's to bad that the Unix programs can not be adapted to the current Mas OS as it's a Unix based OS.

William
btippit

#182 Post by btippit »

William,

In the case of footwear applications it's probably not a case of not being able to adapt the Unix programs to Mac but just a case of the effort versus the potential payback. It took years to get good programs for footwear on Windows and like it or not, we live in BillGatesville.

Bill
Uillaim

#183 Post by Uillaim »

Bill,

Brother do I know. We're only 5% or so of the computer world. But I like my Mac and am going to stick with it. Thanks for your response and conideration of my inquiry.

William
angel

#184 Post by angel »

Bill,
You made me curious about what last modeling programs you are running in your PCs. And also about the Unix based ones.
Would you be so kind to mention them?
I'm an amateur (and not very skilled) riding boots maker, and would like to be able of modeling lasts in a 3d soft, so as to have them plotter carved afterwards.
Thanks and regards,
Angel
btippit

#185 Post by btippit »

Angel,

I will email my response to you.

Bill
cmw
Full Name: Chris
Been Liked: 1 time

#186 Post by cmw »

I get some mac magazines very month or so. I understand that you can divide the hard disc in to partitions and build each up the way you want it. I did this with the old system and OS X. It works fine for me. Any way if you wish to use the time, you should be able to create a PC emulator in one section.

Another thing, check the help files. there should be a way to do something with the unix part/layer of the operating system. On the CDÕs that came with OS X there is a creative tool section. IÕm not a guru but I know it's possible.

I hope it helps and I did not create more confusion.
CW
btippit

#187 Post by btippit »

To all who have inquired:

We will know more about the "whens" and "ifs" of the new biz in a few weeks. Still putting sources together but should know more by early May. Still anticipating June or July for first order taking. Thanks for your interest and patience.

Bill and the Mrs.
arram

#188 Post by arram »

To anyone:

I am interested in shoemaking and would like to make colonial american shoes. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for a) men's colonial american shoe lasts b) patterns. Thanks to all who reply.
Jeff Gullett

#189 Post by Jeff Gullett »

Hello all,

I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs of getting onto the group. Maybe one of the moderators could help me out a bit there.

I stumbled upon this board a while ago and just started really lurking this past week.

Being an ex- (and hopefully future) patternmaker, I find the posts on this list rather interesting.

Jeff
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#190 Post by dw »

Jeff,

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy. I'm the Administrator and chief janitor. What kinds of problems are you having? You can contact me off list at admin@thehcc.org or frommer@bootmaker.com.

Glad to help...

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#191 Post by dw »

Arram,

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy. I'm sorry no one has come to your aid or answered your question. It may be that there is no answer or it may be that the guy that has the answer is on vacation.

Personally, Colonial era footwear is not my baliwick. So I can't help you much.

Anyway, you're not being ignored...I was hoping someone else, more knowledgable would jump in. Hang in there, though. Sooner or later someone will mention something that will get you started. Wait a bit and ask the question again...or read through the posts, particularly in this topic and see if you can email or contact someone who might share your interests. There are at least three members I can think of who do colonial era shoes.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
das
Seanchaidh

#192 Post by das »

Arram,

I guess I'm one of the three DW was thinking of. I run the shoemaking shop at Colonial Williamsburg. Lasts are one big problem, especially historically correct wooden ones a la pre-1961, not to mention correct shapes for the 1700s.

The way we've solved this for the short term is, finding suitable dated antique lasts in good enough condition to copy, and of good enough design to bother duplicating--no small feat in itself. Then having them carefully sand-cast in aluminum, cleaning-up the aluminum model, and sending it to a last manufacturer who offers to do wood lasts. Problem is, none in the US I know of still offer any kind of wood. The last batch we had made in maybe '98, were in European red beech. Better than nothing, but nowhere as good as the old maple.

Patterns are less of a problem. Decide on the period you want to make, decade or locality. Find any surviving regional archaeological examples of the same date, acquire tracings of the surviving uppers [if you're lucky these are in the archological site/finds report], correct for distorion and wear, grade them up/down to the size you need, and go for it. Sound simple? Well it's really a bit more complex, but that's the basic approach.

Otherwise, a good long study of reliably dated shoes in museum collections, as well as art history sources, should fix the forms and basic patterns in your mind. Shoes for men, women, and children varied considerably, and the styles [multiple] for each period changed--there's no one style or pattern IOW. You're at the base of a tall mountain slope, be sure to bring plenty of food and water. Good luck.
arram

#193 Post by arram »

Thanks to D.A. Saguto for the information. I can see that finding a suitable last is going to be a problem, but I will keep on searching.

Arram
das
Seanchaidh

#194 Post by das »

Arram,

Yes, it's a big problem. I don't know what part of the country/world you're in, but there are a few good 18th c. lasts in some museums. At least you could learn the feel and look to search for, or if you get ambitious, carve a repro yourself. You need a man's? Woman's? What style: shoes, boots, pumps? What decade or quarter-century? There's a lot to figure out.
btippit

#195 Post by btippit »

Arram,

When The Last Word was in business I had two colonial lasts. One was exclusive to the gentleman who sent me the model to copy (it was a copy of a last found in a shipwreck) and I could not sell it to anyone but him. The other was very similar and I sold it to a couple of gents who were making shoes from that period. Unfortunately, that's the good news.

The bad news is that I've searched and searched and can't find the model number of the available last. When I sold the business to Sterling Last and went to work for them it was not included in the catalog we put out for our custom business. That is the only catalog I have copies of. I had drawings of all of my lasts at one time but if I still have them they are with some things I have stored at my sister's house. I'll try to get out there and take a look but I don't think the odds are in favor of me finding anything useful.

Perhaps someone has an old catalog from The Last Word. I think this last was in that catalog. If I can come up with the model number I can reproduce the last when I start the business back up again (see previous postings in the past couple of months). I've got all of the digital files. I just need the model number. So, if any of my old customers still has a TLW catalog maybe they can look through it and try to find the last. It should be easy to spot. Just think of a fish profile with the way the sides are squeezed in and the toe is rounded but comes to sort of a blunt point (as I recall). Anyway, it's worth a try. I'll let you know if my excavations at my sister's place prove fruitful.

Bill
jake
Full Name: Jake

#196 Post by jake »

Bill & Arram,

I've got an old catalog, but it's at the shop. I'll check tomorrow and let ya know.

Take care!
jake

#197 Post by jake »

Bill,

I've got a September 1997 catalog, and I can't find "hide nor hair" of that last.

Sorry!
jake

#198 Post by jake »

Bill,

You're not talking about the "Men's Indian Moccasin" last, are ya? (TLW-0023)
btippit

#199 Post by btippit »

Jake,

Nope, it's not the moccasin last. I was afraid it wasn't in the catalog. I had sketches of my period lasts (had some civil war lasts as well) but I didn't put them in the catalog because they were really targeted to a special group who sought them out. Thanks for looking though.

Arram,

I'm afraid I checked at my sister's already and after the divorce I must have pitched some of that stuff that I was having trouble finding storage space for. I have one other way to find it but I'm afraid it will take awhile. I've got about 400 digital files but these aren't really CAD files. Instead they are just more or less tool path info. However, I can run each one through a program that will show me the basic shape of the last. I think I can elminate about 200 of the model numbers from memory (how sad is that?). As I get time I'll run the others through the program and eventually one should turn up as the suspect. I'll let you know when I hit pay dirt but in the meantime I'd keep looking for something on your end. This will be time consuming.

Bill
erickgeer

#200 Post by erickgeer »

Bill,
What does this last look like? I expect it would not be in the Sterling issued catalog? I don't know the year I got it.

Are there any good last making books out there? I have the "American Last Making", and the Kolleff book. Neither of them really go into the finer aspects, like shaping the footbed through the girth and shank areas. The Kolleff book seems (to me anyway) to leave alot to the imagination.

Erick