Lasts

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

Re: Lasts

#301 Post by sorrell »

I've bought lasts from Bill several times. He's always delivered what I've ordered, was always honest and I enjoy working with him!

Lisa
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#302 Post by admin »

These remarks come from an individual whose sense of self-importance and unmitigated arrogance manifests as petty, mean-spirited, and destructive behaviour. The nearest analogue I can think of is the terrorists in the Middle East.

It should have been abundantly clear from the Forum's response to her previous posts, that these remarks are unwelcome and offensive. But such considerations never hold much importance to such people.

The administration of the Crispin Colloquy has sought to curtail what can rightfully, and legally, be called "criminal harassment" by this individual through the simple expedient of banning the offending IP. However, such measures are not always effective in the face of a determined individual bent on inflicting their particular brand of vitriolic nastiness on a chosen target--targets that through policy or simple measured restraint, cannot defend themselves. This is particularly true in this case where the attacks come from the dark corners and from behind the cowardly wall of anonymity. There is no "decency" in it...not by any rational, objective standard that can be applied.

That said, there are remedies. This matter can be turned over to the FBI and even a dynamic IP address can eventually be run to the ground. "Criminal harassment" is a crime that can be prosecuted and punished. Damages can be recovered.

Let me state this as plainly as possible....as administrator of the Crispin Colloquy...I neither believe nor do I care about the validity of such venomous attacks. What I do care about is the toxic nature of such postings and their effect upon the community as a whole. I do not welcome such remarks. None of us in this community welcome them. As administrator I find this situation totally unacceptable. I will, on behalf of the Crispin Colloquy and the Honourable Cordwainers' Company, seek legal remedies if this continues.

Yr. Hmb. Svt.
shoestring

#303 Post by shoestring »

Anon,
your remarks are taking the flavor out of this Forum.Your messages with out a name is a coward move,I dont'n know Bill but I know a gutless chump when I see or hear one.What ever your claims are keep them to yourself.If you were a Christian somewhere you would have read or heard "he amoungst us with out Sin cast the first stone ".So who ever you are please stop feeding hate to this group.Since I found it things has always been peachy and now here you come with your " Foolishness ".And if what you are proclaming is the Gospel let it be resolved between Bill and his God no one died and left judgement in your hands.I will leave you with this saying"there are 12 months in a year which leave you with 6 to mind your affairs an 6 to leave the next persons alone which should keep you busy.Gang just my 2 cents on hate.

Ed
Chuck Deats

#304 Post by Chuck Deats »

Just another two bits worth---Admin, Thank You, Please proceed. Bill and I have our discussions, but he has always been helpful, honest, straight forward and up front. A pleasure to do business with.

Chuck
jake
Full Name: Jake

#305 Post by jake »

Hey Gang,

I want to say more, but better "sense" tells me not. I've known Bill Tippit for YEARS! He's always treated me with the utmost fairness. I have NEVER heard a bad word about Bill....until yesterday!

I call "BULLSH*T"!
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#306 Post by dw »

I would have to disagree with you Ed, in one small regard,--yes, these remarks by anon are offensive and despicable and "totally unacceptable." But in one sense they highlight the strength and wisdom of this community (the forum).

Look at yourself and all the others who completely reject the poison and the cowardly slander that anon is spewing. Look at the number of good, "decent" people who have not only sprung to Bill's defense but also to the defense of the very spirit of "decency'--that a 'decent" person will not denigrate someone anonymously or behind the hand or even gratuitously.

There is an enormous amount of decency on this forum...real decency, not the self-proclaimed kind...even if anon defies that standard.

The Internet is a haven for all kinds of anti-social types who cannot feel any real sense of self-worth unless they are in conflict with or vilifying someone else.

But it is also populated by a goodly number of people who, like Bill Tippet, will go out of their way to help people and to further the Trade.

In my part of the country we throw out the bad apples...we don't let them spoil the rest. "They can get their own" barrel.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
dialex49

#307 Post by dialex49 »

This is my first posting in the forum and I want to thank you all for the wealth of information offered in the history and archives created in the past.

For those who are looking for cowboy boot lasts with classic lines, there are some used classic lasts at www.RexKelly.org. Photos show a variety of toe styles and nice, inside cones for the 1 5/8th inch heels. Or you can call 718-813-9400 for more details.
The www.customcowboybootsandshoes forum has more information online.

Regards - BigAlex!
tomo

#308 Post by tomo »

Hey Bill,
I should've said in my email too you, that I think you're site's looking really great and very user friendly. Can't wait to check for updates, and of course order from you Image.
More power to y'awl
T.
shoestring

#309 Post by shoestring »

I don't know if this question has been raised or not but here goes.How difficult is it to remove the metal plate from a last and will there be any harm done? Is leather placed there to fill that void?I would like to preform this surgery on two pair of last ,plastic & wooden.

Ed
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#310 Post by lancepryor »

Ed:

Based on personal experience, it's not difficult. The plates are attached with screws; I've used a screwdriver and a hammer to pry the plate up enough to gain leverage, then just sort of levered the plates off. You do need to be a bit careful that you don't deform the feather line, as that is where the screwdriver will be sliding under the plate. And yes, I believe you can replace the plates with leather, which I trim and to which I apply press cement to give a harder surface.

Lance
jake

#311 Post by jake »

Ed,

My experience has been they're secured with ring-shank nails. I agree with Lance, it's extremely easy to remove them. I too caution you to replace the plates with a layer of leather the appropriate thickness to bring everything back to level. I usually apply several coats of press cement to the leather afterwards.

Oh, one more thing.....make sure you roughen up the last before cementing the leather on. It's very important for a secure bond. A piece of 30 grit sandpaper usually does the trick.

(Message edited by jake on June 04, 2006)
jake

#312 Post by jake »

Hey Gang,

Well, this is short and dirty. Basically, I wanted to see if I could do this. Don't know why, but I was nervous as hell. Please over-look the stuttering and slurred words. I'll get better.

Ed, I wanted to show you that I have done this several times and to let you know it's a fairly durable technique. Even though you send wooden pegs through the leather, when removing the last from the boot, the leather build-ups stay glued to the last. I can't over-emphasize how important it is to ROUGHEN up the last before gluing. Also, I get bargains on lasts every once in a while. Just because they have a metal plate on the bottom, doesn't mean you need to pass on a bargain.

Hope this helps.... Image
jake

#313 Post by jake »

Dang-it......this touch pad on my notebook is mighty "touchy". Let me "upload" the file. Sorry!
Last_Plates-4128.wmv*msmedia.gif*video/x-ms-wmv*8307.2*last+plates*Last+Plates%2ewmv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dw
Seanchaidh

#314 Post by dw »

Jake,

Looks terrific! My current student downloaded the video clip I did a couple of days ago and told me that even with his Windows Media Player set to automatically open a clip at 200%, it looked good. Your's did too! Of course it's "thin" but still remarkably sharp.

Well, I got to go start up the Chargriller to smoke a chicken and some home-made wild duck breast sausage. Three hours, low and slow and in the smoke, the chicken will hopefully be dinner!

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
shoestring

#315 Post by shoestring »

Lance,
I will take your suggestion and be careful and do the leather build up.

Jake,
I will make sure all surfaces are roughed up.The video was pretty good if there were faults I missed them,also looking for more from you to.And thanks to you both for the helpful information,I am off to surgery

Ed
tomo

#316 Post by tomo »

Jake that's great!

The voice was fine, the message was succinct and the picture was easy to see (...and I'm way at the back of the classImage - in more ways than one).

but I have a question. Why do you, or did you replace the the heel plates with leather, and do you do this to all your lasts?

I understand that the plate is used for clinching or stopping the nails or pegs from going into the last, especially if you nail on a heel, but why is it better without one?

Still doing the odd saddle too I see?

More power to your cam.
T.
relferink

#317 Post by relferink »

Jake,

Nice clip, the nerves were not noticeable from my end.
When putting on the press cement on a plastic last you you spread it from the leather on the the last to create a smooth transition as I would do on a wooden last or will it not stick to the plastic and come loose?

Rob
jake

#318 Post by jake »

Dee-Dubb,

Thanks Ol'Buddy! This is a terrific feature for the Forum. A deep tip of the hat to ya! By the way, I wish I lived closer. We could of had a few cold ones, and I would have been more than happy to help eat some of that great cookin'. Don't get like me and start puttin' the pounds on.

Thanks Ed for the kind words. It actually surprises me just how good the leather will adhere to the last if properly prepared.

Hey Tom, you ol'scoundrel. Glad you liked it! Now....I'm not gonna start saying what's better on any particular technique or method of doing things. I made it clear a long time ago, there many ways to skin this cat. But here's my take on it. It depends on whether a feller uses nails or not to secure the heel, or shank, or toe. The plates tend to mess up your pegging awl if you're using wooden pegs. Personally, I like my pegs to penetrate the last a little ways. When the last is removed, the points of the pegs are rasped or sanded down. This leveling of the pegs tends to brad them on the surface of the insole. When they swell, their gonna hold!

Saddles? I've been making and repairing saddles for 25 years now. People still stop by and leave a saddle or two to keep me busy. I have to say though, my heart is really into bootmaking.

Robert.....Thanks Partner! I guess I hid it somewhat. I'm from northcentral Arkansas, and we don't talk very plain anyway. To answer your question, the press cement tends to peel off the plastic last after a while. Can't say about what would happen with wooden last. I haven't any. But the peeling is never actually a problem. You'll still keep the smooth transition.

Once again, Thanks Gang for making me feel good about the whole process. D.W. has done a great job setting this up. We're lucky to have him! By the way, this stuff ain't too complicated. It would be great to see some footage from others. Give'er a try!
dw
Seanchaidh

#319 Post by dw »

Jake, all,

I wish I could have had you all over for some great 'Que!! I did my chicken beer butt style but cooked it low and slow (240*) for about three or four hours. I really poured the smoke to it--apple wood. Man.!! You just can't buy food this good...nowhere. I mean it!!

And Randee's duck sausage!! Well sir, it had orange peel and cranberry and bacon and wild duck in it. We smoked it about two hours in the same apple smoke...not to cook it mind, but just to smoke it. Then she broiled it to perfection and well...it don't get any better anywhere and I've been an eater all my life and a fan of great food. It just don't get any better, period!

'Course if y'all had come over we would have probably polished off my extra special, imported directly from the distillery, Special Reserve, Lagavullin...but hey! That's what it's for.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
jake

#320 Post by jake »

Tom,

I edited my comments to be posted, and somehow they didn't show up in my original post. But anyways, here's some more thoughts on nails or pegs.

During the process of making a boot, tacks are used to hold the uppers to the insole. If plates are present, tacks tend to be a problem when removing. Sometimes their points are left behind, and sometimes they are a bugger to pull out. They can actually remove a plug of leather when removing. If the insole is wet and the tacks aren't zinc coated, they leave black marks on the insole. I hate that! This is actually an oxidation process which hardens and destroys the leather.

One final point. After some time wearing the boot, a feller creates a footbed in the insole. With wooden pegs, the customer can sand them down if they become a problem. With nails or tacks, you can't do that. They become "proud" and you have to place the boot over a metal last to "re-clinch" them into the insole, which usually requires the aid of the bootmaker.
tomo

#321 Post by tomo »

Thanks Jake,
I see your pointImage.
I remember once you posted a picture of a peg rasp, and they seem almost obsolete, and the thought I've had since then was that a man could use a tooth rasp - you know the ones horse dentists use. The modern ones have abrasive embedded in an epoxy base. Also the handle could be bent to fit down inside the boot.

Well that was my thought, tell me I didn't waste my timeImage

More power to y'awl.
T.
jake

#322 Post by jake »

Tom,

Time wasted, or knowledge earned? Depends on how you look at it.

I usually use my peg float to quickly remove the bulk of the peg points. Then....nothing beats a piece of 30 grit in a small hand.

You can make all sorts of tools to fit your needs. All that is required is a little imagination.

Take care!
paul_k

#323 Post by paul_k »

Jake,

I just got back to the computer, after a weekend of leather tooling demonstrations. So it sounds like I missed the picnic, but I'm glad you recorded the entertainment. I think we've got a great tool at our disposal now that you and DW have started the ball. Thanks to you both. It's cool to think where will it go from here.

PK
jake

#324 Post by jake »

Hey Paul,

I appreciate it! We missed ya!

Sounds like you're staying busy. Good! Yeah, it's gonna get pretty exciting now. I'll try to make sure I keep my ugly "mug" out of frame!

Dee-Dubb,

That's what I call, "eatin' high on the hog". Good for You!
big_larry
Full Name: Larry A. Peterson

#325 Post by big_larry »

Jake, thank you for the film on modifying a last. I am on my third pair of boots since going to boot school. I have came to several conclusions about last preporation. It is a boring, laborious and tedious job. If it ain't done right the results are just bad. I am making a rule to charge a last preparation fee and I will keep that last in its finished form just in case I have to make another boot for that person. Rule # 2 is that I will use a trial shoe and not go to assembly until I am perfectly satisfied the last is perfect for the subject. I am using leather, JB Weld, and a varnish to do the build up. I use my knife grinding machines to get the smoothed surface. I am ok if I receive criticism, constructive or otherwise, but I am anxious to improve my knowledge base. Oh yes, I have found that the train robbing theorum holds true with boot making. "WHEN YOU ARE ROBBING A TRAIN, AND YOU ARE THE CHIEF ROBBER, YOU CAN ROB THAT TRAIN ANY WAY YOU WANT TO." I love choices and I appreciate folks like you and D.W. who are so willing to share. I personally will not be posting any pictures untill I can teach my sewing machines to sew in a straight line and next to the edge. Thanx again Larry Peterson