Lasts

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
btippit

Re: Lasts

#276 Post by btippit »

I'm not exactly sure where this should be posted but since I'm already here I'll leave it up to our humble servant to move it if necessary. We've developed into quite the International community and I just wanted to suggest something some of you might want to try. Phone companies and others in the US are really promoting their V.O.I.P. (voice over internet protocol) services now. For those who don't know, that's being able to use you PC to make phone calls. You need speakers (or headphones), a microphone (which can be from a webcam), and a high speed connection.

The phone companies and aforementioned others, will charge you $20-$40 a month for this service and usually a hefty setup fee. You can have it LEGALLY and FREE if you want. Go to www.skype.com and download their FREE software. Using this application, which is extremely user friendly, you can call any other PC in the world for FREE as long as that PC also has the requirements listed above and has Skype on their machine. You can also buy "Skypeout" time from the Skype website which allows you to call from your PC to any regular phone (or cell phone) in the world for very low rates. You must buy Skypeout time in lots of 10 or 25 Euros but since the typical charges are only 2 or 3 CENTS per minute, it lasts forever. I purchased 10 Euros worth in November and still have just over half of it left. Some countries are slightly higher (Mexico is 8 cents per minute I think) but all are much cheaper than a standard phone to phone call. The rate is solely based on where you are calling, not where you are calling from. I've used it to call Mexico, Canada, Brazil, France, Italy, Thailand, and China and so far, whether I'm talking to someone on their PC or on their phone, the connections have been as good or better than any local calls I make. No static, no delay, no echo.

I laugh every time I see one of the VOIP commercials for a phone giant on TV. I understand that with the pay service you have the luxury of not being tied to your PC as you are then able to use your phone for all the calls. I just don't see that being worth the price.

Just thought I'd pass it on to those who might not have heard of it.

Bill
www.globalfootwearsolutions.com
Lisa Cresson

#277 Post by Lisa Cresson »

Dear Bill Tippit,

I like the mention of the wood [Hornbeam, plus. . ?] in your posting a few days back... Can you be more specific?

Thanks!
btippit

#278 Post by btippit »

Lisa,

It's pretty basic. Any lasts ordered from me can be in plastic or wood. The wood will either be French Hornbeam or a Brazilian wood I have not gotten the exact name of. I have seen the Brazilian wood when I was there and it is a nice hardwood that was cut, cured, and roughed specifically for lasts (as was the Hornbeam). The type of wood used will depend on which source factory I use for the order and that decision may depend on the style. I will be able to let you know shortly after you place your order and you will have the option to change to plastic at that time.

The hinges that are available in plastic are also available in wood, including the ever popular "scoop". Please note that it will be up to the end user to coat the lasts with whatever you want to protect them from the shrinking and swelling caused by humidity changes. Anyone interested in pricing should contact me directly by email.

Bill
shoestring

#279 Post by shoestring »

Bill,
what would one put on a pair of wooden last for protection,parafin or sheliac.And is this a one time coating only. Thanks

Ed
btippit

#280 Post by btippit »

Ed,

We use basic polyurethane shellac for the wooden turning models. However, in any kind of humidity, that might get a little "tacky" when you're trying to pull the last. Maybe not. I have sort of a "humidity phobia", living in St. Louis with summer just around the corner.

In the days when wooden lasts were used in production (unfortunately, just before I came along) they used something commonly referred to as "last slip" to help the lasts come out of the shoe. I don't know if this had a sealing effect also or if the "last slip" was used in conjunction with something like a shellac. Perhaps Wilson Shaedler, Pablo, or someone else can better answer your question. I'm probably blowing the "sticky" factor of the shellac out of proportion.

Bill
erickgeer

#281 Post by erickgeer »

Bill,
I don't know how durable it is, but I've had occasion to use (minwax?) quick-drying polyeurethane and it hasn't felt sticky - I don't know how durable it would be though.

Here in Chicago the humidity is real bad - I wouldn't put it past it to be a problem - I've had insoles that wouldn't dry for over a week, because the humidity was so bad. Maybe it would only be a problem of an extended drying time while the finish is being applied.

Erick
btippit

#282 Post by btippit »

Erick,

You're probably right. Like I said, I may be making something out of nothing. Once the turning models are sealed, the PU doesn't get tacky as long as they're taken care of. However, they're not exposed to moisture like the lasts will be during the application of buildups and the actual shoemaking. I'll see if I can find out anything offline but I'm sure someone will jump on here soon. There are still plenty of wooden lasts being used and whatever was originally used to seal them and make them slick for pulling must have had to be replaced by now.

Bill
Georgene McKim

#283 Post by Georgene McKim »

In Vol. II of Bordolli, "The Boot and Shoe Maker", lasts are sealed after manufacturing with a mixture of "shellac, resin and carnuba wax". No mention of a recipe for the treatment. Perhaps the shellac/resin is applied during finishing while on the lathe and then the carnuba wax is applied periodically to insure and maintain the removal of the last. Just guessing here.
Georgene
Lisa Cresson

#284 Post by Lisa Cresson »

Lance Pryor

This is a bit late, but womens and men's feet are the same shapes, but the men have the bigger ones for the most part. A men's medium is a 'D" on the chart and a women's medium is a "B" on the size chart but for western bootmakint is is one large chart from AAAA to EEEE and 4.5 to 13.5 or thereabouts. If you are referring to the men's and women's individual shoe size charts from commercial companies that would create confusion cause is splits the sizing by gender, and incomplete for the range of feet all adult people have.

Regards,
Lisa
btippit

#285 Post by btippit »

Testing one, two

is this thing on?

Haven't seen a post in 5 days so I'm assuming I won't see this one but my curiosity got the better of me.

Bill
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#286 Post by walrus »

Bill
Its Spring all good Shoe & Bootmakers are out rakeing and mowing the lawn. LOL.Or airing out the shop.
Larry Waller
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#287 Post by walrus »

I forgot to add, for all of you who have been waiting I am sorting all my wooden lasts.its finally warm enough should have an inventory and Pic's up on our site soon.
Larry Waller
Walrus Shoe & Leather Co.LLC
www.walrusshoe.com
tomo

#288 Post by tomo »

Hey ya Bill.
I was thinking someone might've triped over a lead or something and pulled the plug too.
But no, you're coming through loud and clear down the back here. Image Hey, have they dimmed the lights already?
more power to y'awl
T.
btippit

#289 Post by btippit »

Larry & Tom,

Thanks for the reassurance. I was just worried that I had warped into another dimension again and could not communicate with the outside world. I hate it when that happens. And Tom, there are those who would say that my "lights" have been dim for quite some time.

Bill
danfreeman
Full Name: Dan Freeman

#290 Post by danfreeman »

Larry--
Glad to hear you're organizing your lasts; wood is good,though I like polyethelene as much. If you had lists and prices (a Herculean task, I admit), I bet you'd sell them steadily.
djulan
Full Name: David Ulan

#291 Post by djulan »

Larry
I'll agree with Dan on lists ( and Herculean tasks), and selling steadily.
Many of us wish for such a list/catalogue, even if only length and widths, and other details via a phone call.
David
Lisa Cresson

#292 Post by Lisa Cresson »

Hello everyone,
I am still working on getting all I need together to do the work I would like to do: but wondered if anyone had seen any old last design/construction/modification/measuring tools out there?

That would be a trap? last measure stick? toe spring caliper and some nice small curved lasting pinscers [sp?] too tired to respell.

I have the usual Osborne and HomeDepot substitutions for checking/measuring recording, and some excellent Schaedler Prescision rulers. But think of me if you see them.

Thanks in advance! send direct email anytime.
Lisa Cresson

#293 Post by Lisa Cresson »

Hello all,
The last time Larry and I spoke before the new year, the plastic lasts were $15 and the wood lasts were possibly $20. But you had to buy the entire run; but the runs were getting smaller on the lasts that had been selling for a while.

I hope that helps. I am looking for thimbels and an old Hobart meat cutting 18" band saw for a low price.

Thanks!
Lisa
Lisa Cresson

#294 Post by Lisa Cresson »

oops. . . I put a price on the posting... am I going to get hit with flying tomatos?

Well it was an answer and not advertizing for myself.

Humble apologies in advance if I broke the rules accidentally...
rohitjain22

#295 Post by rohitjain22 »

We are manufacturers of plastic shoe lasts in india.We have a capacity of 500 pairs a day.We are looking for a model maker or some guy who can help us develop latest models and sell our lasts in US.
anonymous

#296 Post by anonymous »

I drove up to the Hanover shoe factory in West Virginia on Saturday this weekend to see what JJ had for sale and there is still alot of machinery and shoemaking equipment. You can contact him directly to ask about whatever you want at a deep discount. He seems able to arrange some discounted shipping as well if you need it and can take a digital photo.

The buiding is an acre in size and there are large quantities stitching machines, shoe findings, quality nylon thread and prewould bobbins in neutral colors, soles, laces, etc.

Please call Jack directly (423) 571-1364. He will be at the factory this coming Saturday.
tomo

#297 Post by tomo »

Anon,

If you're going to have the courage of your convictions use your name before you slag another man off.
I judge a man as I find him not by someone elses mealy mouthed prattle.

More backbone to y'awl.
T.Image

(Message edited by Tomo on March 13, 2006)
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#298 Post by admin »

I know Bill Tippet. I am proud to know him.

I would be ashamed to even make the acquaintance of anyone who would slander another person anonymously and behind their back.

I have deleted the offending post.
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#299 Post by admin »

[deleted] admin
paul_k

#300 Post by paul_k »

Admin,

Good Grief!
Thank you for deleting that.

To everyone else,

I have spent face time and many hours on the phone with Bill, and I value him as one of the door keepers to this world of bespoke boot and shoe making, certainly for myself.

I've been educated and supported in every transaction with Bill Tippet. I was going to call him with excitment on a current coolaboration, and it'll be hard to get past this attack.

This is a good guy with a good heart.

Back off "anon".

Paul Krause
BootMaker
Prescott, Arizona