Announcements

Do you know of a boot or shoe related event that might be of interest? Hear Ye, Hear Ye...
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Announcements

#1 Post by dw »

Over a span of time things change...new people, new ideas come along and the old ideas and techniques tend to get lost and forgotten. One of the main reasons The Crispin Colloquy was created was to preserve the techniques and the skills of boot and shoemaking. To become an archive of techniques and philosophies from many different people in many different parts of the world. The Colloquy has always been intended as a record...and, admittedly, it is a record only made possible by emerging technologies such as the Internet. Nothing of its scope or vision could have been done before. The people who post here, encouraging and advising and just as importantly asking, give of themselves generously and voluntarily. As a result, the Crispin Colloquy may be the most extensive, single source, repository of boot and shoemaking information in the world. And it keeps getting better.

And bigger....

Eventually I am going to have to delete all or most of the messages on the board, and we will have to start over with a fresh slate.. We have already exceeded our "bandwidth" (server space)--or at least, the bandwidth that we are paying for--and although our ISP hosts have been most generous and tolerant, we cannot reasonably expect that to go on indefinitely.

Then too, the vagaries of the internet and the mischief that it is subject to, make the Colloquy particularly vulnerable. I have had to completely restore the forum...**by hand**...at least once, and relocate it several times. "Once burned..." I am always nervous about losing all that has gone before from a power outage, a server crash or a DOS.

At the HCC AGM this past fall, several of us discussed ways to preserve the archive in a more permanent (?) form.To that end, after some months of research and tweaking...

The Honourable Corwainers' Company is proud to present: The Crispin Colloquy--on CD!

For those who are interested, The entire message base of The Crispin Colloquy's "Open Forum", "The Gallery" and the Registry" are now available on a cd in a format that allows offline viewing with a browser such as Netscape or Internet Explorer. There is even a Java based search engine that will allow you to zero in on specific subjects and keywords.

Over the course of time, there may be a series of these cds and they may become as valuable for the aspiring boot or shoemaker as any of the literature extant.

The Honourable Cordwainers' Company will offer these for sale...the proceeds go to support the Guild. For more information, drop me an email.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
fjones

Re: Announcements

#2 Post by fjones »

DW

Colloquy on CD

I am aware that because of the charitable status of the HCC and therefore the Colloquy, you probably could not post the price of the CD but subject to the price not being excessive, can I suggest that everybody should have one each year as part of their membership of the HCC.

I personally would be happy to an appropriate rise in the subscription to cover this. Also, it would enable the HCC to have the CD’s commercially re-produced because there would be a sensible order size. It goes without saying that non-members interested could still buy one at a non-member price.

Comments or other suggestions ?

Frank Jones
frank.jones@shoemaking.com
dw
Seanchaidh

#3 Post by dw »

Frank,

This may be a suggestion you would want to submit to the board as it is one that would require fundamental changes in policy. It is not, in any sense, a decision I can make.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#4 Post by admin »

All messages posted in this topic prior to 25 February 2002 have been moved to the first Crispin Colloquy CD Archive.

Admin--06 May 2002
admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by admin »

All,

As many are aware, I have just completed archiving The Gallery and Open Forum (these two only) to the first Crispin Colloquy CD Archive. This represents nearly four years of posts...much valuable information and the contributions of many individuals.

The CD is available through me at admin@thehcc.org. It is searchable and looks and feels very much like the Forum itself.

It should also be noted that I have pared down on the number of topics available to post to...and I have limited the ability of members to start new topics. This will bother some people but it was necessary...and if it is any consolation I didn't want to do it. I apologize for any inconvenience it may cause. If anyone feels that they have a topic for discussion that simply will not fit in the available subtopics they may contact me and if I agree I will quickly and readily set up a new topic. But I urge members to try to utilize the topics available and to choose wisely when they do. It really makes managing and maintaining the Forum so much easier.

This is also the last time that I will double post a system message. If you have not enabled email notification for "System Announcements" I urge you to do so immediately. This is the only way that I can inform members of changes made to the Forum. And information is the key element in avoiding misunderstandings. So please....

Yr. Hmb. Svt....
D.A. Saguto--HCC

#6 Post by D.A. Saguto--HCC »

NEWS FLASH:

Check out the September 2002 issue of 'GQ', page 364. Current prices and delivery times for hand-sewn shoes from Lobb, Berluti, Vogel, etc.

Also, a reliable source close to the industry wrote yesterday that JV may be "struggling", and going entirely to Chinese operations sooner, rather than later. No confirmations yet, but if you need lasts, better save up and buy 'em sooner, rather than later.
dmcharg
Full Name: Duncan McHarg
Been Liked: 21 times

#7 Post by dmcharg »

Al,
Some of us don't get 'GQ' (whatever that is), so what are we looking at (or isn't that kosher on the Forum).
Cheers Duncan
D.A. Saguto--HCC

#8 Post by D.A. Saguto--HCC »

Duncan,

Sorry. 'Gentleman's Quarterly' fashion magazine. For informational purposes only, the starting prices for shoes were given for: Jason Amesbury-$2,050; Stefano Bemer--$1,750; Berluti--$2,600; John Lobb--$2,800, and E. Vogel--$850. All are London I think, except Vogel, in NYC, USA.

Delivery times varied from 3 [Vogel] to 18 months [Berluti].
dmcharg
Full Name: Duncan McHarg
Been Liked: 21 times

#9 Post by dmcharg »

Thanks Al,
Cheers
Duncan
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#10 Post by walrus »

I am posting this here in case any of you missed it .By Larry Waller on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 08:27 pm:

Subject: HCC Meeting

Notice to all HCC Members : We are pleased to announce that
the HCC AGM will be held on October 25th – 27th 2002 at
Walrus Shoe & Leather CO, LLC, W8295 State Hwy 11, Delavan
WI 53115 (Located in beautiful southern Wisconsin in the
town of Delavan wonderful shopping areas, antique stores and
lakes abound).

Your hosts will again be Larry, Cindy and Crispin Waller.
Walrus Shoe & Leather Co is 45 miles SW from Milwaukee
Mitchell International Airport and 65 miles NW of Chicago
O'Hare Airport, with easy access from either airport. If
you need more transportation information (i.e. map, limo
service) we will have a packet available via email or fax.

We are holding a block of 10 rooms at the Super 8 Motel, 518
Borg Rd, Delavan WI 53115, under the name "Cordwainers" Call
Dawn at 262-728-1700 to reserve your room with the rate of
$58.39 per night with double occupancy, by Sept 30, 2002.
Please register early so if we need more rooms we can get
them as they have limited space and the next hotel is 3
miles further away.

Please RSVP to Larry and Cindy at 262-882-6006 or email
walrus@walrusshoe.com (Please put HCCAGM in the subject
line)and let us know you are coming so we will have proper
meeting rooms and food accommodations available. We do have
a couple of speakers lined up already but have more space
available. Let us know if you are interested in doing a
presentation, or talk about a special skill you would like
to share or demonstrate. If you are doing a presentation
requiring any AV aids please advise us of your needs. Time
and space limited, so contact us early.

The itinerary so far is Register/meet at Super 8 from 3-5pm
on Friday afternoon, feasting and drinking Friday evening at
Millies pancake House, Saturday am- business meeting and
presentations, feasting and swapping in the evening at the
Waller Barn (weather permitting). Sunday Breakfast at the
conveniently located Perkins, with tours of Walrus Shoe &
Leather Co. to continue. More info as it becomes available.

Also we will be celebrating our 25th anniversary of Walrus
Shoe & Leather Co, LLC. Come help us celebrate and get the
grand tour. For those of you that were here last year and
to those of you coming this year, we hope this will be a
great gathering.

Any questions please call Larry or Cindy 1.262.882.6006. We
look forward to seeing you.

Larry Waller HCC Member
Walrus Shoe & Leather Co. LLC

......Let us know if we forgot something important.
liton board
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#11 Post by paul »

Not one to be too easily deterred, I ask again, in this section...

Can someone please tell me where the HCC gathering is this year('03)?
It's the weekend of October 25th and 26th, right?
But whose shop, or whatever?
PK
dw
Seanchaidh

#12 Post by dw »

Paul,

I can't answer for HQ or the members who make the decisions--I'm just the Membership Coordinator and webmaster. I know how frustrating it is to post a question and not even get an acknowledgement much less an answer. Soo....

It is my understanding that the AGM will be held somewhere new this year.Where? I haven't heard. And, of course, AGM is always held the weekend closest to St. Crispin's Day.

If I were to guess, I would say that the anwers to that always difficult poser is being formulated even now. Hopefully one of the board members will jump in here...soon...

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
walrus

#13 Post by walrus »

To Paul DW All
The Meeting for the AGM is October 24,25,26 2003.
Place will be Old Sturbridge Village Thanks to Peter Oakley. A block of rooms is being reserved at the Holiday Inn Express ($79.99+ tax each room has two double beds. Phone 508.347.5141 for reservations.and the confirmation # is 62705816 call and reserve early . All the members Should have gotten your news letter by now.
Paul if this posting does go through,I did respond to your email. My Computer has crashed and my emails have been hit and miss at best, and please do come to the meeting its the best.Hope to see you all there.
Larry Waller HCC Board Member
dw
Seanchaidh

#14 Post by dw »

Larry,

Thanks for the update. As a member of the board, you are one of the folks who have access to post in The HCC Bulletin Board Area. If this info is "official" why don't you post an announcement there? I, for one, have not gotten a newsletter (was it something I said?) and wonder if there are others who have also not received it.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#15 Post by paul »

DW and Larry,

Thank you for the acknowledgement and answer to my 'poser'.

Larry, I guess I'll never have to ask this question again, 'cause I get it like it's a place that means something to American Cordwainers, but, where is Old Sturbrige Village? (I'm sure it's no place close to ArizonaImage).

And BTW, I've never received a newsletter since joining HCC. Have there been others?

PK
gcunning
Full Name: Gary

#16 Post by gcunning »

I got my newsletter about a week ago.
jake
Full Name: Jake

#17 Post by jake »

Paul,

I believe it's in Sturbridge, MA.

D.W.,

I got my issue day before yesterday.
admin
Site Admin

#18 Post by admin »

NewsFlash!!

In a happy turn of events, Al and Miriam Saguto have apparently survived Isabel, riding out the worst of it in the ruins of what civilization there was to be found on the Eastern Seaboard. Saguto said that his wood lot in the back 40 had blown down and he had lots of free fire wood for sale. He was calling from an unspecified location and didn't expect to be back online or "communicado" for a couple of days. Efforts to trace the call or get emergency relief into the area have failed. All we can do now is pray.

Yr.Hmb.Svt.
jake

#19 Post by jake »

Glad to hear Al & Miriam made it through that old heifer's wrath. Too many wasn't so lucky. Sad....

Tell Al to buy himself a wood stove and a chainsaw. Propane is $1.19/gal now!
John Bedford Leno

#20 Post by John Bedford Leno »

Actually, as of 3:13 this afternoon some emergency relief was trickling into the area. A convoy of military half tons filled with 1350 cases of Tums and thirty-three bottles of Phillip's Milk of Magnesia was spotted on the outskirts of Tappahannock. Things are definately looking up.

Old John
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#21 Post by das »

One and all, we're back on-line at Old Colonial Williamsburg, but out at the house, no... Yup, that is now >52 trees down on my property, ranging up to 100' oaks with 10' root balls. Nothing hit the house, trucks, deck, sheds, or us, but we lost 350' of fence along the back of the property, and I think the building site for my shoe shop has "opened up".

We're still living comfortably "Amish"--no power or phone, hand-washing clothes. And MREs aren't half-bad. Kinda nice especially now that yesterday's storm passed [had a tornado up in Henrico Co.]. Only complaint is neighbors' noisy generators--sounds like an army of lawn mowers out our way24/7.

Best guess, might be next week before our power's back. We hain't seen devistation like this since them "Blue Bellies" paid us a visit back in 1863.
jake

#22 Post by jake »

Big Al,

Good to see you've still got a sense of humor. Glad to hear you're still kicking too.

Looks like you are gonna need a chainsaw and a woodburning stove. Propane is $1.19/gal anyway.

Every once in awhile, we're out of power here in the Ozarks. Sure makes you appreciate the conveniences of modern life, huh?

Take care and hang in there Ol'Buddy!
admin

#23 Post by admin »

Tex Robin was not asked to resign. He was not threatened with suspension. He was not asked to apologize to DW. He was not even asked to quit disagreeing with DW

He *was* asked to apologize to the Forum for "pulling rank" (his own words).

Admin
jake

#24 Post by jake »

It's Veteran's Day! I would like to sincerely thank all the men and women who fought for our country and are continuing to do so now.

GOD BLESS THEM, and GOD BLESS AMERICA!
jake

#25 Post by jake »

Wishing all my "Online Family" a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving! Image

God Bless our Men and Women in uniform. We Thank You!