Looking for...

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
jonathon

Looking for...

#1 Post by jonathon »

Hi Mary Ann.
My source for Dextrin will be of no use to you I would presume as I'm posting to you from South Australia.(Ace Chemicals in Adelaide, for anyone closer to home)
I would say however that I've not heard of it being used to glue linings to vamps, and would not recommend it either.
As you mentioned it comes in a powder form and when mixed with water makes a slow drying adhesive. (about the consistancy of wall paper paste.)
I use it for gluing in toe puffs and heel stiffeners.It works really well in as much as because it is slow drying it gives you more than ample time for lasting. Also when dry it helps in hardening the leather, hence my recommendation regarding lining.The last thing you may want is stiff leather right where you want the shoe to flex.
Hope this helps and that someone can tell you of a supplier close by.

Cheers.
Jon.
Tex Robin

Re: Looking for...

#2 Post by Tex Robin »

Mary Ann,

A little advice about dextrine paste. It went out with the advent of rubber cement and all-purpose. Rubber cement is what you use for sticking you linings in your shoe. It is flexible and doesn't stiffen the leather. All purpose is used to attach uour soles, shanks or anything else on the bottoms.
You can probably get the rubber cement at wal-mart in the craft dept. in a small 4 0r 6 oz container.

The last thing I saw dextrine paste used for was stacking leather heels on boots. It is very messy and sticky and something to be avoided
in my opinion. My Father and I used it in the fifties for the toe boxes but press cements have replaced it for that even.

I sometimes wonder how they would stick their boot tops together before the modern cements. I suppose some sort of paste or other yucky concoction. But I am only curious, not interested.

I don't know if Jonathan can get the cements I described in Australia, but we can still get them in the US. Using Dextrine would be returning to the dark ages as far as I am concerned. TR
Tex Robin

#3 Post by Tex Robin »

All,
These last three postings are in the wrong topic. I suppose that the janitor, or one of the moderators will clean it up or move it...ImageTR
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#4 Post by admin »

Tex...and all,

You're right, these posts were misplaced right from the beginning. I should have moved the first one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Emmett
Driftwood Custom Boots

#5 Post by Driftwood Custom Boots »

Mary ann The cement your searching for is still available from Midwest Chemical in St. Louis Mo. as well as any shoe or bootmaking related chemicals, such as over a dozen types of rubber cements a variety of contact adhesives solvents flash cements etc. If it's shoe industry related they carry it. They have been supplying this industry for over 70 years. They will generally send you samples so you can get just the right product for your particular application. 1 314 781 5831. Hope this helps.
mnewberry
Full Name: Matt Newberry

#6 Post by mnewberry »

I'd like to find a double peg wheel/marker for pegging about 10/inch. I'm also looking for a good rhan file. I've tried the regional Goetz dealers, but they aren't available right now. I have a 12/inch double peg wheel that I'd trade (too tight for me!) Let me know.

Matt
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#7 Post by dw »

Matt,

Just a quick note (I gotta run)...I have a double peg wheel at 10 to the inch. I'd hate to part with it but for you...

Well, I'm off to Santa Fe for the weekend so get in touch with me Sunday or Monday.

I also have an extra rhan file or two.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
Lisa Sorrell

#8 Post by Lisa Sorrell »

I have a bootmaker friend who's looking for a source for a light-colored bone or cream bullhide. I suggested he try Hardtke, and he said he already has with no luck. Does anyone elso have any suggestions?

Lisa
tex robin

#9 Post by tex robin »

Lisa,

Try GArlin Neumann...TR
Riley Craig

#10 Post by Riley Craig »

Lisa,

You might try E-C Leather in Oklahoma City...they aren't that far from you.

Riley
Lisa Sorrell

#11 Post by Lisa Sorrell »

Thanks for the suggestions, Tex and Riley.

A friend called and suggested I look up www.hidehouse.com They do have bullhide in cream, and it's a very interesting and well-done site, by the way.

Lisa
bultsad

#12 Post by bultsad »

All,
Is anyone using sewn in cotton or fabric labels? If so, from where are you ordering? I am looking for someone who can use my logo and I will not have to order 10,000 peices.
Grateful as always.
Jim
Tex Robin

#13 Post by Tex Robin »

Jim,
Minnewawa mfg co in Tenn has been making my labels for 30 or more yrs. At my last order they would make you 1000 labels. They have the woven and printed . The printed being the cheapest.
They are at: office@minnewawa.com
TR
bultsad

#14 Post by bultsad »

Tex,
Thank you that is what I am looking for.
Jim
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#15 Post by admin »

On 06 May 2002, everything in this topic posted prior to 25 February 2002) was moved to the first CD archive.

Admin
mebaltezore

#16 Post by mebaltezore »

Does any one know the mailing address or an e-mail address for a shoe company in New Zealand called "The Last Shoe Factory"????

Thanks,
Mike
jhtait

#17 Post by jhtait »

Bootmaking Equipment to sell...

I have a whole shop-full of bootmaking equipment to sell. I hope this forum is an appropriate place to get the word out.

boot shop for sale

beer@pennswoods.net
afranklin

#18 Post by afranklin »

I have a question? Press cement is used to put over buildups on lasts. What kind of cement is press cement exactly? The reason I am asking is I havent been able to find it here in Germany. Does anyone know if Goetz carries it and what they would call it? Thanks, AL Franklin

p.s. And the best I can tell it aint called press cement over here!!
dw
Seanchaidh

#19 Post by dw »

Al,

Press cement is also known as celluloid cement. It is acetone and celluloid(?)...which, as I understand it, is one of the earliest forms of engineered materials. It was made from cellulose and they made cue balls out of it as early as the late 19th century. Problem was, the cue balls sometimes exploded! I've never had that happen with build-ups on lasts or on toe boxes, either one--it would be a hoot though. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
lenboden

#20 Post by lenboden »

Some old timers used to call press cement Kaon (?sp) kay-ahn
Tex Robin

#21 Post by Tex Robin »

Len,
You are not that old are you? Well, I guess you are!Image Yeah, you are right and I don't know how to spell it either and the bootmakers that called that probably didn't, but that is what it was called. My Father made his when we lived in Throckmorton from the old movie film they tossed out at the indoor movie theatre. So his was "black Kayon". And guess who had to disolve itImage...TR
Tex Robin

#22 Post by Tex Robin »

PS on the Celluloid Cement,

We used it for lasting in toe boxes and it didn't take too kindly to Lizzard, Shark, or Alligator. If you tried to dry the toes with heat it would burn the leather like super glue does turning it black and cooking it...TR
dw
Seanchaidh

#23 Post by dw »

Tex,

Wow! That is so interesting about making celluloid cement out of old movie film. I never would have thought it. Of course, they used to call film "celluloid"...or at least I think I remember it being called that...so it makes sense. Your dad was smart, though--that's one thing I like about the old timers...they always seemed to find a way to "make it themselves."

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
mnewberry
Full Name: Matt Newberry

#24 Post by mnewberry »

I have been using water based varnish for sealing my build ups with good success. It dries very fast and doesn't have near the toxic odor of the press cement. The product I use is called something like "Diamond floor finish" from Varathane brand. I am really trying to take the toxicity from my workplace, and this has helped a lot.

Matt
Anonymous

#25 Post by Anonymous »

I am looking for the text book that was used in the State of Texas Technology Institute bootmaking program. The program was stopped about 10 years ago and the text book is no longer in print. Someone out there must have gone to this program and may still have this book. I would be willing to purchase it at a reasonable price or may you would let me borrow it ????? Please Help ! cdwil@msn.com