Boot Leathers

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
casetradeboots
Full Name: Floyd E.
Been Liked: 1 time

Boot Leathers

#1 Post by casetradeboots »

DW,

Read the latest posting about the kangaroo at Stevenson-Paxton. Is there a phone number, address, or e-mail address for them? I am very interested in a new source for kangaroo. I am presently using the last skin of a light tan color I bought years ago.

Floyd Case
CASETRADEBOOTS@AOL.COM
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Re: Boot Leathers

#2 Post by dw »

Floyd,

Here ya go:

Stevenson-Paxton Sales
12-E Pamaron Way
Ignacio, CA 94949
voice (800) 648-1622
stevepax@marinmail.com
Attn: Dave Foster

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
lenboden

#3 Post by lenboden »

I just tried to email S-P and mail came back as user unknown. I just clicked on the link and sent mail and it came back. Can someone show me the error of my way?
LB
dw
Seanchaidh

#4 Post by dw »

Len,

You didn't do anything wrong. I just tried as well and got the same error message, so either they're just down for a bit or they've changed their email address. Try giving them a call on Monday...it's an 800 number.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
casetradeboots
Full Name: Floyd E.
Been Liked: 1 time

#5 Post by casetradeboots »

DW,

Belated thank you's for the information on S-P the new source for Kangaroo. I have samples coming....

Floyd
dw
Seanchaidh

#6 Post by dw »

All,

FYI...

Just a quick note regarding S-P's kangaroo. I talked to Dave Foster today and although I haven't seen any swatches yet, he told me that the kangaroo he's carrying is 2-2 1/2 ounce (perfect, in my opinion) with a soft, slightly glazed finish that approaches the kind of finish you'd find on a fine French calf. It's a smooth, aniline finish with some depth, not at all "draggy", and no oil. If the finish is too soft for some, he suggested putting an acrylic finish coat on it. That will bring it up to a high shine with plenty of depth and you'll end up with a real professional look.

The trouble with this, folks, is that you can't please everyone in this business. Some want an almost painted look, some want a more matte finish, some want that depth you only get with an aniline dye--the kind where you can virtually "look into" the leather. But Dave is listening and wants feedback. He wants to accommodate as many people as he can--that's why he's stocking colours...and more colours to come.

Anyway, that's it...Oh, they have a new email address too...

spsales@sbcglobal.net

Floyd,

Hey, no problem...that's what we're here for. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
bultsad

#7 Post by bultsad »

Has anyone else received an email from a company in Thailand advertising ostrich leg skins? I have never heard of them but the prices are good. The email said that the terms were half the money now and half on delivery. I do not think that I would want to send a few hundred dollars to Thailand with out knowing who I am dealing with over there.
The email is from M.P.L. (Thailand) no address no phone. I sent a reply asking for more info.
Jim
jake
Full Name: Jake

#8 Post by jake »

Jim,

I received the same message. I'm sure they retrieved our email addresses from the Forum.
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#9 Post by admin »

Jake,

I don't know how that's possible. I don't think it *is* possible. The Forum is set up to conceal email addresses unless someone manually goes through and clicks on the headers of each message. Heck, it's a laborious process to extract all email addresses from the Forum for the Administrator...which is why I haven't taken to doing mass mailings to all of you. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
jake

#10 Post by jake »

D.W.,

My apologies!

After some further thought, I agree with you. Don't know how they would do it, unless they manually retrieved addresses from individual postings.

Once again, OOPS!
RileyCraig

#11 Post by RileyCraig »

Jim,

I, too, received the e-mail regarding ostrich leg, but deleted it. I used to do a lot of ostrich work. I just wouldn't feel comfortable sending anything to Thailand!

Riley
dw
Seanchaidh

#12 Post by dw »

Jake,

Hey, no problem! No apologies necessary. What I would be interested in knowing...just for curiosity's sake...is how many of us that got the email from Thailand, also clicked on the link to the Shoe Trades site. A lot of these sites send you a self returning cookie when you enter the site, and then sell or distribute that information to other companies on the theory that if you're interested in Shoe Trades you'll also be interested in Thai ostrich.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
Tex Robin

#13 Post by Tex Robin »

DW,
I don't know about everyone else, but I delete every one of the leather marketers. I don't intend to even try to import leather. But I don't remember getting any about Ostrich Leg..TR
gcunning
Full Name: Gary

#14 Post by gcunning »

I received the message for ostrich. It had little pictures of the colors. It also had a stingray add.
Gary
dw
Seanchaidh

#15 Post by dw »

Tex,

I have a "junk mail filter" set up on my email program that automatically deletes any message that is not specifically addressed to me and /or that I have not expressly solicited. The Thai ostrich email was in the trash bin almost before I saw it.

Like I said, you may have not visited the ShoeTrades site when it was linked in a recent post here on the CC. But I did...out of curiousity. I think *that's* where they got my email address.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
jake

#16 Post by jake »

D.W.,

It's been a very long time since I've logged on to the Shoe Trades' site, but that may very well be where they obtained my address.
jonathon

#17 Post by jonathon »

A while back I purchased a couple of Ostrich legs from Marino leather exports in Queensland.
They look fantastic and I'm eager to use them for some western boots. I'm wondering If anyone has used it before and can tell me how well it crimps particularly. Im a bit tentative not having used it before. I'd hate to ruin such beautiful leather.

Cheers.
Jon.
Tex Robin

#18 Post by Tex Robin »

Jonathon,

I have used Ostrich legs several times and though it is not my favorite, it works up into a very nice boot.
I don't know the size of your legs but it generally takes 8 pieces to do them up right. I always use three for each boot and then two for the counter covers. You can put them together in a straight line or cut a design. And you can run the plates(or scales???)down each side and down the middle. But the very sharp ones should not be used. Use them to cover a belt buckle. You do need to use a backing before crimping and it should be attached with all-purpose cement. The very thin split cow or pigskin is the best for this. Just be careful and good luck..TR
RileyCraig

#19 Post by RileyCraig »

Jon,

I have made a couple of pair of boots using the ostrich leg shank. It has always been too narrow to use for the vamp, so I used a three piece pattern. I left as much of the leg leather as possible and used ostrich belly to complete the sides of the vamp. It was necessary to glue a lining to the belly (I used pigskin) to ensure enough strength for the pull when lasting. All of the leg I've seen, or dealt with, was very "fleshy", but once this was removed it crimped fine.

Good Bootmaking,

Riley
jonathon

#20 Post by jonathon »

Thanks for the tips fellas.
I'm looking forward to using it.

Cheers.
Jon.
Tex Robin

#21 Post by Tex Robin »

All,
I would like to be the first on this forum to offer a leather trading service. You all know that French Calf and Ostrich is very expensive when you are a small operator and need to keep inventories of each. I am in need now of some black French Calf vamps and I am referring to the genuine expensive item. I have some Chocolate and Orangey Tan that I could trade or I will even sell the vamps pre-cut. I do not usually make tops from the French Calf so a skin of french calf will be in my inventory for years. anyone have any they want to trade or sell or anyone want to buy some? I will also barter with ostrich. TR
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#22 Post by admin »

On 06 May 2002, 150 plus posts (everything prior to 25 February 2002) were moved to the first CD archive.

Admin
Tex Robin

#23 Post by Tex Robin »

All,
I will sell pre-cut blocked vamps and counters.
Genuine French Calf, Black, Choc, and Benedictine Tan. Tex Robin, 915-625-5556 or e-mail me
Frank English

#24 Post by Frank English »

To All
What are your sources for the high quality boot leathers? I have received swatches from companies but never any Italian calf-kangaroo, the truly nice French calf,etc..I want to be able to offer my clients these leathers. Just when I think I have figured out some things I talk with someone and am told some leathers should not be used for vamps. What is the criterium for this determination?
I am sure this subject has been addressed in the past but maybe there is new information?
I also know that some of you will sell some of the extra leather you have and I would like to know of you, my situation right now is I am currently starting my business and don't have the money to buy leathers and need swatches to show so that I can make purchases-------nothing new to anyone I guess. I enjoy reading all the post here and am learning many things.
Thanks to everyone.
Frank English
dw
Seanchaidh

#25 Post by dw »

Frank,

Most of the leather finders will supply you with swatches.

It's true some leathers should not be used for vamps...or tops either, for that matter. How do you tell? Well, it's a matter of experience to some extent and it's a matter of getting burned to some extent, and it's a matter of personal taste to some extent.

Jim Covington is/was a fine bootmaker. He should have given you a list of suppliers. But perhaps it just never came up...

In any case, between GH Leathers--fine French Calf, some linings, some "work leathers" and some top leathers--and Charles Hartke--the Italian kangaroo, some good calfskins, some water buffalo calf and a decent selection of linings--you should have a good place to start.

GH Leather Company
Greg Hochhauser
Houston, TX
main voice (713) 670.9800
E-Mail: ghleather@aol.com

Charles Hardtke, Inc.
11040 Argal Court
El Paso, Texas 79935
voice (915) 590-0088
Attn: Loy

Hope that helps...

BTW, welcome to The Crispin Colloquy