Looking for...

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Re: Looking for...

#1251 Post by dw »

The quickest way would be to call Whites and see if they will either sell you a mid range last or allow you to adopt the model. In the latter case you'd have to contact the same people who turn Whites lasts And see if they will turn a pair or 100 for you...with permission from Whites, of course.

You could call J&V and ask them if they carry a model that is similar to the Whites #55 or another last that would come close to the specifications (heel height, toe spring, bottom profile, etc.).

You could also buy a #55 from someone else, if you know someone who has a pair, and commission J&V or another lastmaker to make a model off of it.

You could also commission J&V to design and create a model to your spec and needs.

To get my shoe lasts, I studied pairs of shoe lasts I liked and then modified a pair of boot lasts to incorporate the features I needed in a shoe last. I then sent that off to a lastmaker for critiquing and ultimately scanning and branding. It cost me and further modifications cost me more but I am pretty happy with the results.

Good luck.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
SharonKudrle
Full Name: Sharon Kudrle
Been Liked: 16 times

#1252 Post by SharonKudrle »

Thank you for the information above.
What is branding? Is it like a copyright?
dw
Seanchaidh

#1253 Post by dw »

Yes, the lastmaker assigns a model number to the prototype and vows to never sell that model to anyone else. It is mine. I can share it but, theoretically, the lastmaker needs my permission to turn lasts from that model for anyone else but me.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
SharonKudrle
Full Name: Sharon Kudrle
Been Liked: 16 times

#1254 Post by SharonKudrle »

Thank you very much DW!
Does that cost extra or is it the norm when you commission a lastmaker to make a model from a modified/antique last? I have lasts that I would like to share, and some that I would rather not.
dw
Seanchaidh

#1255 Post by dw »

It all costs extra although such costs have come down substantially with the advent of digitalizing techniques. I think the default is that when you have a last scanned and a digital model made, the model is yours exclusively unless otherwise stated.

That said, lasts that are already in existence already have a model number that is more or less public, as who should say. Others who know the model number can ask for it.

And all too often...and shamefully, in some instances...it is all too easy to have a last turned from a model number that is not yours and send it off to another lastmaker (Mexico, China, etc.) to duplicate. In a very real sense, as practical as that may be, it could be considered stealing. It is theft of my intellectual property and it is theft of the resources of the lastmaker. If the "bespoke" division of J&V ever goes out of business it will be because people steal model numbers and J&V can no longer sell or make a profit from models that they have invested in creating.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
john_ralston
Full Name: John Ralston

#1256 Post by john_ralston »

Thanks for the info DW
MichaelB
Full Name: Michael Buck
Been Liked: 2 times

#1257 Post by MichaelB »

Hello all. I’m seeking a source for a metal toe/heel guard called EXTENSOR. My bosses sources have dried up and so I thought reach out to y’all.
037D00A2-624C-420D-B261-57590DC076F3.jpeg
Thanks
Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.