sewing machines

Share secrets, compare techniques, discuss the merits of materials--eg. veg vs. chrome--and above all, seek knowledge.
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Re: sewing machines

#1001 Post by das »

@carsten Ah....The manual says to kiss the blade with the feed-stone to de-burr, which I tried but settled on sharpening rod like you as safer. No, just the one motor below the stand, and sewing machine clutch motor. The ratio of rpms of the feed-stone and the bell-knife seem "set", not independently adjustable. A smaller pulley on the clutch motor will simultaneously reduce the rpms of both feed and blade however. I think the gear box on mine takes pure grease, not oil. Double check your manual, after you find one, LOL.
carsten
Full Name: Carsten Metz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 48 times

#1002 Post by carsten »

@das well if the rpm´s are set I guess I will just have to live with it. I think its the same in my case. First I had imagined it would be like driving a shift stick car, where you can drive slowly by not engaging the clutch completely. Lowering the rpm of the whole system does not seem to be possible. Also there are no additional v-belt pulleys (? not sure if its call like that?) like you find sometimes on old sewing machines, with which one can change the speed ratio of the axles by moving the belt to another pulley. Your steel barrel experience sounds like a costly lesson learned. :doh:
Amasiah
Full Name: Amasiah bellemare
Been Liked: 1 time

#1003 Post by Amasiah »

i'm searching for a mckay machine for sale ideally in canada... anybody know about one?
slepsnys
Full Name: Andrius Knizikevicius

#1004 Post by slepsnys »

Hello,
I was a luker for some time. But now I can't find answer.
I am planing to buy post bed machine and would like to know what You prefer.
First option would be Pfaff 491 with bottom roller feed, top driven roller and witn needle feed.
Second option would be Pfaff 493 with bottom roller feed, top driven roller and no needle feed.
Thank You in advance for Your opinions.
Slepsnys
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#1005 Post by dw »

Welcome!

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, frankly. But that said, I don't think the needle feed is needed, not even sure that the upper roller feed is needed.

Problem is that if you get hung up...going up and over a seam, for instance... the upper roller can damage the leather.

I use a Singer 136-101 which is a post machine with a bottom roller feed. And I don't really have any problem with it. I had a Pfaff post machine that was considerably newer and more 'advanced' than the Singer and ended up getting rid of it.

All that said, credible shoes and boots can be made with a patcher.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.