Tools to Make

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
bcFour
Full Name: Bob Bautista
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 47 times

Re: Tools to Make

#151 Post by bcFour »

Tried the diy pedograph today. About $35 invested. One thing noticed is that I’m not really getting much (any) resolution range. ie- everything is dark blue. Is this a ‘too much ink’ problem or ‘bad execution’ problem or do I have no contours to my foot?? Granted.. was my very first try with 5 minutes before I had to go cook dinner. Probably some more experiments this evening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#152 Post by dw »

Well, you don't have a fallen metatarsal arch. :)

Actually I think it looks real good.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
bcFour

#153 Post by bcFour »

Thanks DW! More stamping this morning with less ink has shown some better detail.

On a bit of a roll here - I recently broke my sheet of glass I used as a skiving surface. I was sure there was an easier/cheap way to replace it than the $$$ granite skiving-specific blocks sold at leather shops.

! …Home Depot is so often the solution. I learned you can buy single tiles. I got this puppy for $4! You could splurge and get marble for $6 but I didn’t want to push it :uhoh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nickb1
Full Name: Nick Bardsley
Has Liked: 44 times
Been Liked: 55 times

#154 Post by nickb1 »

I've been using a large porcelain tile, which I orginally bought as a cheap "pizza stone". Not sure if it dulls the blade more than marble does but it seems to be OK. Then again I suppose there are reasons people were generally using marble or lithography stones...?
To each foot its own shoe.
Instagram
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#155 Post by dw »

If you are worried about 'dulling' the knife on marble or pottery, try skiving on glass.

In fact a curved piece of glass is not only an ideal surface to skive on (it 'focuses' / narrows the point of contact between the knife and the leather) but the curve itself shunts the scraps down and away from the blade. A cider jug can be mounted on a work bench in a slightly undersized rectangular hole such that slightly more than half the bottle is proud of the bench.

Plus, it's cheap esp. in autumn... when you're done with your mulled or hot spiced cider.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
carsten
Full Name: Carsten Metz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 48 times

#156 Post by carsten »

bcFour wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:25 am I learned you can buy single tiles. I got this puppy for $4! You could splurge and get marble for $6 but I didn’t want to push it :uhoh:
Talking about expensive tools and inspired by your DIY pedograph I also made one today, which costs next to nothing :) . I simply stretched an old pair of nylon socks from my wife with two rods by means of two stapeled spacers and applied stamping ink onto her nylon socks. The spacers keep the rods appart and also separate the saturated socks from the ground. To avoid blue feed I put a piece of cling wrap over the sock. Here are the first results. The prints on the lower left are the first ones. Print after print they fade out a bit. A bit of cling wrap got accidentally under the sock at the second in the lower left (the one where the big toe is missing)
carsten

#157 Post by carsten »

Not sure how they are called, maybe crab pincers / crab clamps (?) for crimping.
If you, like me, have also been searching for them. They are available here:

nickb1

#158 Post by nickb1 »

@carsten
Hi Carsten,
Is he selling them? couldn't see any info about that on his feed ...
N
Instagram
carsten

#159 Post by carsten »

nickb1 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:06 pm @carsten
Hi Carsten,
Is he selling them? couldn't see any info about that on his feed ...
N
Hi Nick, yes I just asked him by writing him a direct IG message and have ordered some from him now. They were just shipped so I can say anything yet about the quality but judging by the images, to me they appear to be sound and prices seem to be reasonable. Looks like he has shipped to Germany and Spain before.
bcFour

#160 Post by bcFour »

Ok, throwing this out there: gun stock duplicating router to make lasted shoe trees. (Obviously will take a bit of post production work to reduce size and entry exit method etc etc)

https://www.carvermaster.com

Thoughts or other methods?
nickb1

#161 Post by nickb1 »

This looks smaller and cheaper than the last duplicators commonly in use, judging only by pictures I have seen. This could be a good thing, but makes me wonder if there is not some hidden problem with the set-up. Can you try before you buy?
Instagram
bcFour

#162 Post by bcFour »

No doubt it is dinkier than the real deal. I’ve been in contact with a gunsmith nearby who is going to work with me. He’d be using a commercial grade duplicator.

It is slim pickings and ‘find new ways’ in this side of the pond. We’ll see how it goes. Watch this space