Seeking knowledge or survey

Share secrets, compare techniques, discuss the merits of materials--eg. veg vs. chrome--and above all, seek knowledge.
SharonKudrle
Full Name: Sharon Kudrle
Been Liked: 16 times

Re: Seeking knowledge or survey

#851 Post by SharonKudrle »

Tight welted, with lots of coad and rosin. Waterproofing is an extra step that isn't a seam.
I suspect thats what DAS was talking about in his post on his Sorrells with rubber feet.
nickb1
Full Name: Nick Bardsley
Has Liked: 44 times
Been Liked: 55 times

#852 Post by nickb1 »

+1 My partner walked through a flooded field in her welted boots and they didn't let in water. Threadwax really can be that effective. Of course if she had stood around for any length of time water would start to slowly seep in somehow. Traditional walking boots try to minimise or eliminate seams on the uppper that go under the insole too as that can be an a weakness so far as water ingress is concerned. Apparently some makers will put dubbin on the insides of uppers when lasting to get extra waterproofing.
To each foot its own shoe.
Instagram
carsten
Full Name: Carsten Metz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 48 times

#853 Post by carsten »

Well I have to admit I am kind of traumatized in this respect. I made my last deliberate experiment to show that my boots are waterproof about 20 years ago with my brand new Meindl "Perfekt" hiking boots (yes they are really marketed with that name).
Since they are "perfekt", it goes without saying that they are also waterproof.

So I took the first opportunity to test it and proudly jumped into the next creek I could find.
Turned out that the water depth -which I wrongly estimated- also seems to play a role, because the water flooded the boots from the top - like it would have happened with any other rubber boot.

Call me coward, but ever since then I try to avoid wading through water like a cat... I still love the boots though.... :crackup:
Last edited by carsten on Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickb1
Full Name: Nick Bardsley
Has Liked: 44 times
Been Liked: 55 times

#854 Post by nickb1 »

AFAIK no boot is waterproof over the top! Some people wear "waterproof socks" inside their hiking boots though. I wonder what this does in terms of a leather insole being able to absorb sweat.
To each foot its own shoe.
Instagram
carsten
Full Name: Carsten Metz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 48 times

#855 Post by carsten »

"AFAIK no boot is waterproof over the top!" Yes I was just kidding of course ... :-)