The Gallery

This is a photo gallery for members of the forum. Here you can share photos of your latest work for members to view. Like an Art gallery, however, where the exhibits come and go, photos will be deleted on a regular basis to save room on the server. Beauty, like Art, is fleeting.
SteveBarrus
Full Name: Steve Barrus

Re: The Gallery

#1426 Post by SteveBarrus »

After spend a few hours reading through a portion of this I have to say that I am humbled to have access to all of this treasure. I know that I will be spend many more enjoyable hours working my way through this.

I wanted to post some of my work. Each piece comes with a story.
armadillo1.jpg
A young Mexican laborer came into my shop and browsed around. I greeted and welcomed him in and spent some time with him as he looked around then he left with a warm thank you. I thought nothing of the visit as he was JUST a laborer wanting to look around. Much to my surprise he came back two days later with two large tanned armadillo that he had brought with him from Mexico.

Will you make me a pair of boots? I gave him the price, the needed deposit and the time it would take to complete and he accepted. Each Friday for eight weeks he returned with a payment and was paid in full before the boots were complete. This is before the invent of the cell phone so a weekly visit was the way it went. I finally finished and the boots were ready. The excitement was thick when he returned for the last time. He tried on the boots and walked around the shop, took them off and gave me a hug and left. I did not see him again but learned that no one is JUST anything, everyone is a customer.
lizard.jpg
First packer a gift for my wife.
elephant0.jpg
A young man came into the shop. His grandfather had just passed and left him an old beat up pair of elephant boots. The vamps and counters were in elephant shape but everything else was worn out, sweat rotted, insoles cracked, holes in the soled and insoles and warn down heals. They were a stitch down custom made boot that were many many years old. His heart was broken and he wanted to wear his grandfathers boots what ever the price.

Because I am a softy was very inexperienced I said I could make him a pair of boots from what grandpa had left. I measured him and built up a last, tore the old boots apart salvaging only the vamp and counter and built up a new pair of boots. I got to the point of lasting and could not finish the boots. They sat for weeks as I would try and give up, try and give up. Finally one night I decided I would not go home until the boots were lasted. I had prayed all day for help and that night angels came down from heaven and guided the pliers and my fingers and I was able to get them lasted, they got leather toe boxes and I was able to complete the pair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveBarrus

#1427 Post by SteveBarrus »

A few more pair.
PJ.JPG
for my father
sharksmall.jpg
stovetop.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveBarrus

#1428 Post by SteveBarrus »

Photos are not to good but a previous pair completed with mule ears
PJ2.JPG
dmcharg
Full Name: Duncan McHarg
Been Liked: 21 times

#1429 Post by dmcharg »

Wow Steve, Some really nice work there, and great stories to go with them.
Cheers
Duncan
martin
Full Name: Martin Moser
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 17 times

#1430 Post by martin »

Nice work, Steve!
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#1431 Post by paul »

Excellent Steve!
It's stories like that that keep me going.
I'm sure you will find such motivational customers and requests once again, as you are making room for it.
Blessing to you back on the path,
Paul
paul

#1432 Post by paul »

Excellent Steve!
It's stories like that that keep me going.
I'm sure you will find such motivational customers and requests once again, as you are making room for it.
Blessing to you back on the path,
Paul
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#1433 Post by dw »

Steve,

I saw your posts over in The Registry and all I could do was shake my head. You've been through a lot.

It's interesting to see your work. It's good...and getting better (which is all anyone of us can wish for). I think I see some of my influence, here and there, in your work--a stitch pattern, a line. And it's gratifying to know those "echos" played a small in helping you along and maybe even sustaining you through your travails.

To quote a very minor poet:
Every trail a man rides down is changed forever by his passing;
The twig is bent, the stone is turned--each adding, in a fashion,
To the markers that define the path and guide those who come after...
Who share the skill, the lore and even common laughter.
:beers:
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
SteveBarrus

#1434 Post by SteveBarrus »

Thank you all. I am excited to get started. DW so far most of all i have learned bootmaking came from your books.

I purchase a set of edge trimmers and edge irons along with heal shaves and many different wheels. I also got a set of wooden slickers. Attached is a photo. Can you share what they are for.
IMG_0158.JPG
dw
Seanchaidh

#1435 Post by dw »

SteveBarrus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:05 pm wrote:Thank you all. I am excited to get started. DW so far most of all i have learned bootmaking came from your books.

I purchase a set of edge trimmers and edge irons along with heal shaves and many different wheels. I also got a set of wooden slickers. Attached is a photo. Can you share what they are for.
IMG_0158.JPG
Edge work, bottom work...finishing naturally. Al Saguto would be able to tell you more I think these are either original or modeled after 18th century tools. I have one...a boxwood reproduction from Al that is associated with Colonial Williamsburg.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
dmcharg

#1436 Post by dmcharg »

Wow Steve, those wooden slickers look great. Where did you come across them?
Al, some professional input on these?
Cheers
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#1437 Post by das »

The 2 darker ones on the left are "shoulder sticks" for burnishing sole/heel edges before heated "edge irons" came into use ("first" evidence is 1824 France), and later for traditionalists who wanted to avoid accidentally scorching the uppers with hot irons. BTW, 1864 US Quartermaster's Manual forbid contractors from using hot edge irons on military footwear--shoulder sticks and elbow grease only were allowed. Many of the lighter colored ones look like mass-produced harnessmaker's strap burnishing sticks to me, some making the crease lines along edge. There may be a few shoe "shoulder sticks" mixed in there too, for thin turnshoe(?) sole edges, hard to tell from the photo.

There's a good selection of older 18thc-styled wood shoulder and other shoe edge finishing sticks shown on pages 222-223 of my book.

Cheers,
Al
dw
Seanchaidh

#1438 Post by dw »

das » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:42 am wrote:The 2 darker ones on the left are "shoulder sticks" for burnishing sole/heel edges before heated "edge irons" came into use ("first" evidence is 1824 France), and later for traditionalists who wanted to avoid accidentally scorching the uppers with hot irons. BTW, 1864 US Quartermaster's Manual forbid contractors from using hot edge irons on military footwear--shoulder sticks and elbow grease only were allowed. Many of the lighter colored ones look like mass-produced harnessmaker's strap burnishing sticks to me, some making the crease lines along edge. There may be a few shoe "shoulder sticks" mixed in there too, for thin turnshoe(?) sole edges, hard to tell from the photo.

There's a good selection of older 18thc-styled wood shoulder and other shoe edge finishing sticks shown on pages 222-223 of my book.

Cheers,
Al
Is that Art of the Shoemaker you're referring to? Plate I of Cordonnier et Bottier? Figures 4, 5 and 8?
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
dw
Seanchaidh

#1439 Post by dw »

FWIW...here are a few of my "bones" including the aforementioned boxwood shoulder stick and some miscellaneous treen:
20170119_084624.jpg
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
das
Seanchaidh

#1440 Post by das »

Yup, AotS', but pages 222-223 are photos of a variety of antiques, forms more common in England/US at the time, additional to Garsault/Diderot, et al.
SteveBarrus

#1441 Post by SteveBarrus »

Here is the batch of tools I was able to purchase which included the finishing sticks. This set looks very old to me.
tools.JPG
and a view of the finishing sticks from other side.
tools3.JPG
Steve B
dw
Seanchaidh

#1442 Post by dw »

das » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:58 am wrote:Yup, AotS', but pages 222-223 are photos of a variety of antiques, forms more common in England/US at the time, additional to Garsault/Diderot, et al.
Al,

I think you mean pages 232-233. At least that's where they are in my copy.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
das
Seanchaidh

#1443 Post by das »

DW,

Yup 232-233. My mistake.

Steve,

Without looking at any makers' marks/checking their dates of operation, or patent dates that may be on the tools, just from the types and forms in the photo I'd guess c.1875-1900+(?). That's a nice haul, old tools always seem to know how to do their job well already, and can help you better than new ones.

There seems to be a bit of revival of interest in the edge irons, used by lots of modern bespoke folks, so if you chose to stay with old school wood shoulder sticks, you should have no trouble "flipping" the irons. If you chose to use the irons, be sure the working surface is mirror polished and all rust/pitting buffed off.
dw
Seanchaidh

#1444 Post by dw »

das » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:12 am wrote:DW,

old tools always seem to know how to do their job well already, and can help you better than new ones.
Wow! There's a great sentiment. A nice little bit of wisdom. I love that.

:tiphat:
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
dmcharg

#1445 Post by dmcharg »

^^^ I second that ^^^ :)
proxy_posting
Full Name: proxy posting
Been Liked: 5 times

#1446 Post by proxy_posting »

By Natalya Makarova
paul'_boots (1024 x 768).jpg
pauls_boots2 (1024 x 768).jpg
paul

#1447 Post by paul »

:clap:
Knowing how very difficult it can be to get a result like this, all I can say is my hat is off to you Natalya!
Very cleanly done!
:tiphat:
With respectful regards,
Paul
homeboy
Full Name: Jake Dobbins
Has Liked: 111 times
Been Liked: 30 times

#1448 Post by homeboy »

Very nicely done! Stay with it! :clap:
What one man has done....another can do.
dw
Seanchaidh

#1449 Post by dw »

Just a couple to indicate I still have my hand in.
20170412_131806.jpg
20170412_131725.jpg
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
paul

#1450 Post by paul »

And both are better than mundane!