The Gallery

This is a photo gallery for members of the forum. Here you can share photos of your latest work for members to view. Like an Art gallery, however, where the exhibits come and go, photos will be deleted on a regular basis to save room on the server. Beauty, like Art, is fleeting.
Manuel
Full Name: Manuel

Re: The Gallery

#1376 Post by Manuel »

Well, you can see here how they have been made the Chukkas boots,( sorry for my English).
Preparation of the molds as customer's foot, preparation and recess cuts....and more . it's me working for you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN3DFS-qpx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g_PKMkXyU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ-q9tsnktM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXgOeWCUSJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Yd13k8LjI

Tomorrow more.....
goatman
Full Name: Jim Knott

#1377 Post by goatman »

marc » Sun May 15, 2005 5:02 am wrote:As long as I'm at it, here's the display I had at last week's conference:
3560.jpg

It's more cluttered than I wanted, but I was trying to show as much as I could of the whole medieval technology thing.

Marc
Isn't using 'medieval' and 'technology' in the same sentence some kind of an oxymoron? :rofl: :rofl:
martin
Full Name: Martin Moser
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 17 times

#1378 Post by martin »

Isn't using 'medieval' and 'technology' in the same sentence some kind of an oxymoron?
No.
:-)
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Been Liked: 8 times

#1379 Post by tjburr »

Martin,

I like your tudor shoes. I've been busy with other things, so I am a little behind on asking questions. I was curious what weight of leather you used on the tudor shoes. Is all the leather used vegetable tanned? I had assumed it was but thought I would ask.

Did you make the last yourself, modify a modern last or have one made?

I've had a project laying around for some considerable time to make a similar pair but with slashing in the toe based on a reproduction I seen in the Nederlands Leder Schoenen Museum in the Netherlands.

Thanks
Terry
martin

#1380 Post by martin »

Hi Terry,
tjburr » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:08 pm wrote:I like your tudor shoes.
I was curious what weight of leather you used on the tudor shoes. Is all the leather used vegetable tanned?
I used ca. 3mm (7-8 ounce) cow for the upper. All leathers used are veg tanned.
Did you make the last yourself, modify a modern last or have one made?
I made the last myself, though it is a very simple one. I felt that with as little of an upper as there is, I wouldn't need a proper last but a flat board cut to shape and rounded as necessary. It worked ok, but in retrospective a bit more of a heel would help I guess. You can see it in one of the pics at http://sutor.jimdo.com/16th-century-ad/alpirsbach-shoe/
I've had a project laying around for some considerable time to make a similar pair but with slashing in the toe based on a reproduction I seen in the Nederlands Leder Schoenen Museum in the Netherlands.
Interesting - do you happen to have a picture of that shoe or a bibliographical reference perhaps? I did one from the Mary Rose with vamp slashing a few years ago, see below and at http://sutor.jimdo.com/16th-century-ad/ ... -type-2-4/
(for this one I built a proper last)

Cheers,
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin

#1381 Post by martin »

Today's sunny afternoon made me pull out the wood turning lathe and make 18th cent. style awls for myself. One is already finished, and a 2nd one coming up. Styles are roughly after 2 originals in Al Saguto's "M. de Garsault's 1767 Art of the shoemaker". Handles are boxwood, tip strengthened with brass, awl is a modern, bought one.

Cheers,
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#1382 Post by dw »

Martin,

Good looking work.

I know what you mean about sunny weather. . I used to own a lathe (until the dust started getting to me) and turned almost every weekend--bowls, hollow-forms, and handles for awls.

Couple of mine--bocote on top and persimmon on the bottom.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
martin

#1383 Post by martin »

Very nicely done! And an interesting shape with the upper one, like that.

Did you make your own ferrules or is there a place you can buy those? I looked but couldn't find anything ...
dw
Seanchaidh

#1384 Post by dw »

Thank you,

The upper one is a copy of a very old (probably not 18th.c but ?) awl i picked up at a tool sale years ago.

The ferrules are made by Dick Anderson of Thornapple Machine Works. The top one is brass, IIRC, and the bottom one is bronze (he also makes them out of steel). They are seamless...he turns them on a lathe and reams them out so that the interior is conical and the ferrule walls an even thickness top to bottom.

Here are a couple more, I made...

Osage Orange pegging awl. I robbed a broken pegging awl for the hardware.
DSC00674.JPG
Tulipwood (Mexican rosewood) (again I robbed a broken awl for the ferrule)
DSC00720.JPG
This one is mesquite I think, with one of Dick's bronze ferrules...
DSC00747.JPG
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
martin

#1385 Post by martin »

Nice ones as well!
Thanks for the feedback on the ferrules - I made mine from sheet brass that I formed and brazed.
martin

#1386 Post by martin »

Kind of productive at the moment - I finished the 2nd of 2 pairs of a reproduction of the shoes found in the late 1800s in the so-called Tomb D of the Martres De Veyre burials. This burial of a young women is special in that it produced a more or less full set of Gallic clothing including shoes, dated to the late 2nd century AD. The shoes are of the type also found in several variations in Welzheim, Germany, although not as much decorated apparently. Nailing pattern and density follows the original.

Cheers,
Martin
dw
Seanchaidh

#1387 Post by dw »

:thumb:
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
BorgVT
Full Name: Jaron Borg

#1388 Post by BorgVT »

My first pair. Plenty of mistakes, but I think they are an acceptable start. Making the lasts was by far the most difficult part; they seem to have worked.
dw
Seanchaidh

#1389 Post by dw »

BorgVT » Fri May 27, 2016 12:41 pm wrote:My first pair. Plenty of mistakes, but I think they are an acceptable start. Making the lasts was by far the most difficult part; they seem to have worked.
Good on you, mate! :thumb:
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
martin

#1390 Post by martin »

Good start!
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Been Liked: 8 times

#1391 Post by tjburr »

Here is a new pair of shoes made on a munson last. The munson did seem to take a little more skill at getting the leather to lie tight against the wood over the joint due to the last shape.
dw
Seanchaidh

#1392 Post by dw »

Fine looking shoes Terry...did you make them for yourself? If so, how do you like the fit of the Munson?

What is the leather? It's almost pumpkin colour--they should be very thing next month. :)
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Herr_Leeb
Full Name: Alexander Leeb
Been Liked: 1 time

#1393 Post by Herr_Leeb »

Just finished my latest project. Cap toe Derbys in black calf skin, Rendenbach soles,made on a customized vintage factory last from the 30's.
Derby.jpg
dw
Seanchaidh

#1394 Post by dw »

Herr_Leeb » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:04 am wrote:Just finished my latest project. Cap toe Derbys in black calf skin, Rendenbach soles,made on a customized vintage factory last from the 30's.
Derby.jpg
Really nice. Did you do a spade sole as well?
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Herr_Leeb
Full Name: Alexander Leeb
Been Liked: 1 time

#1395 Post by Herr_Leeb »

dw » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:55 am wrote:
Herr_Leeb » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:04 am wrote:Just finished my latest project. Cap toe Derbys in black calf skin, Rendenbach soles,made on a customized vintage factory last from the 30's.
Derby.jpg
Really nice. Did you do a spade sole as well?
You are right, spaded soles would have worked nicely with this last. But no, I made them just plain and simple. Even though I like the look of spades, I'm not sure if I personally would wear them. I like it more if everything in my wardrobe rather blends in than stands out. And I don't own a Zoot Suit yet :)
martin

#1396 Post by martin »

Finished another pair of Damendorf style shoes, an Iron Age bog find of the body of a man, C14 dated to between 135 and 335 AD. The lace is integral with the shoe, the only piece that is seperate is the high upper part of the heel.
Once they're cut and the holes for the heel seems have been prepared, sewing goes reasonably fast. The trick with these is to get the lower heel seam off the ground so it doesn't get worn through right away. After that all they need is some shaping on the wearer's foot, or, if not available, on a last.
IMG_5279.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_5300.JPG
dmcharg
Full Name: Duncan McHarg
Been Liked: 21 times

#1397 Post by dmcharg »

Very nice, Martin. I have pictures of those in my shoe history books, but it's nice to see them being created. Some of those early Centuries shoes were beautiful, and their use of a single piece of leather , ingenious.
Cheers
Duncan
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#1398 Post by das »

Martin,

Great job on those Danish bog shoes! I think I first saw them in a book (P.V. Glob's 'The Bog People') at the library when I was maybe 13. What boy could resist browsing a book by "P. V. Glob" with a mummified corpse on the cover :rofl:
martin

#1399 Post by martin »

das wrote:What boy could resist browsing a book by "P. V. Glob" with a mummified corpse on the cover :rofl:
Then I think you will also like the shoes' German nickname - "exploded squirrel" (no, not my invention)
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#1400 Post by paul »

Here is a very recent pair of boots which I have wanted to make for years. I did them with a stitched in counter vs. a pocket counter, which I have yet to wrap my head around. FYI, there are more than three things which I would work on for the next pair, too numerous and visible to mention. Alas...