Books, Manuals, Publications

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
artzend
Full Name: Tim Skyrme
Been Liked: 2 times

Re: Books, Manuals, Publications

#351 Post by artzend »

A site for old sewing machine manuals and identification. Some really good info on timing and tensions too.

Tim
www.shoemakingbook.com
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#352 Post by lancepryor »

Here is a book I happened across, "The Romance of the Shoe: Being the History of Shoemaking in All Ages, and Especially in England and Scotland" by Thomas Wright (1922).

Not alot of meat in there, but some amusing anecdotes about the history of the trade and some of the craftsmen who worked in England in the mid-19th century. Also mentions some work being done at 60 spi.

You can find it for download or viewing here:

http://archive.org/details/romanceofshoebei00wriguoft

Lance
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#353 Post by dw »

Lance,

I own that book. It's not an instructional book nor is it certain that everything contained in it is accurate but it's still a great book and well worth reading.

That's where the reference here to the Boughton Faire came from.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Little Jack Dandiprat in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives, the shorter he grows.[/center]
danfreeman
Full Name: Dan Freeman

#354 Post by danfreeman »

When the Guild was first started, there was little else out there besides "The Romance of the Shoe." My favorite part is the poem, "A Visit from St. Crispin," or "The Likely Bor." Worthwhile sentiments for shoemakers and others.
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#355 Post by paul »

Well now the curiosity is peaked, Dan.
Would you or one of our others be willing to share either with those of us who are without the aforementioned?

Paul
danfreeman

#356 Post by danfreeman »

Paul
I'm sure it's out of print, perhaps Amazon? Of course, if someone were to put it on line, we all could share--though it's true, there's little useful information about shoemaking.
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#357 Post by lancepryor »

Guys:

Look at my message above, with link to the book included.

You can either download the PDF or look at the book online.

Or am I mis-understanding something?

Lance
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#358 Post by walrus »

Lance
You are right you can download the entire 450 pages in PDF form .thinks for the link
Larry Waller
WWW.walrusshoe.com
danfreeman

#359 Post by danfreeman »

Thank you, Lance. Some of us need a little more computer expertise!

Dan
farmerfalconer
Full Name: Cody Howdy

#360 Post by farmerfalconer »

Just FYI.

Its seems Colin Barnlsey does have a catalog for woodenware repetitions. he sent me it and a copy of the barnsley 1980s catalog. The woodenwaare cat has lots of knives awls etc.

Cody
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 8 times

#361 Post by tjburr »

Al may have posted this years ago, but I just happened to have this wonderful document show up in a somewhat unrelated search.

hopefully the post will work ok, since this is my first url post on the new system.

http://www.jefpat.org/NEHWeb/Assets/Col ... otwear.pdf

Thanks Al
dw
Seanchaidh

#362 Post by dw »

Terry,

For some reason the link didn't work from the email notification but when I came to the forum here and clicked on the link inside your post, it worked fine.

:thumb:
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 8 times

#363 Post by tjburr »

DW,

I am guessing that is because the first time I posted the wrong link and I edited the post.

Terry
kps1ny
Full Name: Ken Stuart

#364 Post by kps1ny »

Hi; this is my first post here, so I hope this is the correct thread.

For my research, I'm seeking an elusive book and would appreciate any leads:

Title: Records of the York Cordwainers Company, from circa 1395
Author: York Cordwainers Company, compiled by F.C. Margetts
Publisher: William Sessions, Ebor Press, 1983
ISBN: 0900657812
Length: 171 pages

So far I've found exactly two copies, #1 and #34 of a limited edition, both in York, England, and they are not available via Interlibrary Loan.

One copy is held by the University of York and the other by York Minster. The Company of Cordwainers of the City of York does not have a copy (pers. comm.).

Anyone know of any other copies, especially here in the US? The HCC library itself does not appear to have one.

-Ken
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#365 Post by das »

Sadly I know of no copies in the US. Perhaps you might turn up a second-hand copy on-line for sale, or one of the UK holders might scan particular pages--all 171 pages might be asking a lot. Good luck.
kps1ny
Full Name: Ken Stuart

#366 Post by kps1ny »

Do you have any familiarity with the contents at all? I have no references to particular pages, so I'm not even sure what might be the most helpful parts if I did find someone to do some scanning. That could be my first request for scanning, of course, or the index if it has one.
SharonKudrle
Full Name: Sharon Kudrle
Been Liked: 16 times

#367 Post by SharonKudrle »

Al,
How soon can we get a copy of the Hartwig you are working on ? Isn't it going to the publisher soon?
I am very much looking forward to reading it !
Sharon
das
Seanchaidh

#368 Post by das »

It'll be a free download off of this site, not a paper "publication". The 46 page text is in final, and the intro will go to the editor this weekend, so stay tuned.
SharonKudrle

#369 Post by SharonKudrle »

Al,
Thank you for giving us the translation with explanatory notes from German of: The Shoemaker and Slippermaker--Hartwig, 1775, Saguto, 2018

http://www.thehcc.org/Hartwig.pdf

Why did Hartwig have so much praise for English shoemakers? Leather, heel rands (248) , 244 special english polish with mystery ingredients including spikenard oil. etc. and none for the French shoemakers.

Hartwig uses pitchbarm like duct tape, everywhere including finishing the edges of womens shoes and burnishing the pitchbarm in page 252.
What is it?

The pressed leather heels have me totally puzzled. Are there any left to examine, or did they all dissolve? Poor soldiers.

Overall, Hartwig explains so much about shoe and bootmaking in few pages.
das
Seanchaidh

#370 Post by das »

Thanks Sharon. Just typed most of the reply, then ventured away and the computer ate it all. Have been laid-up with a broken foot, so convalescence afforded me the needed down-time I doubt if I would have found otherwise to polish "Uncle Otto" (L. Hartwig).

If you think Hartwig had high praise for things English, please refer to "Herr Doktor" Daniel Gottfried Schreber's comments throughout my 2009 'Art of the Shoemaker', especially pp. 83, FN 31, and pp. 123, FN 43. As I wrote in the preface, you should cross reference Hatwig with 'AotS', which holds many answers. The Germans and English were allies, and a German prince sat on the English throne--they were "buds" as well as trading partners. But even the French M. de Garsault mentions English leathers, as well as several English techniques that were adopted by the French, though the two countries had been mortal enemies "forever" [that whole Protestant versus Catholic thing] and embroiled in war against each other for much of the 18thc. Remember, even though England's primary staple export was wool, and wool fells (things made of wool), second was leather and leather fells, which amounted to more GDP than all of England's metal and metal trades combined in the later 18thc.

Things like shoe polish were proprietary commercial products, the recipes were top secret. I'm sure the English were happy to sell various polishes and waxes abroad, but kept the exact formulas under lock and key. Rob Welch has done more research on 18thc boot blackings than anyone I've known, see here http://makinghistorynow.com/2016/01/mak ... lack-ball/ He presented a fascinating paper and hands-on demo of various products at last year's AGM. Apparently the French, like the Germans, were simply smitten with the superiority of English polishes, though German gloss is discussed 'AotS' pp. 140, with that "spike" (spikenard) oil.

I've only tried pitchbarm one season with no success. Today's wheat bears little genetic resemblance to "old" (pre GMO) wheat, so that may have accounted for my lack of success, or it may have been climate, or pure operator error. Since I've never read of the English using pitchbarm, I went right back to good bookbinders' paste and Hirschkleber (potato starch paste).

Yes, there're surviving Anglo-American examples with pressed heels, but they are commonly enclosed in a heel cover, and on men's dress shoes less likely to be worn outdoors in the wet weather to fall apart. I've had good luck pressing fleshings in an iron mold a la Hartwig, stuck with thinned-out Hirshkleber, but again only for covered heels, like slippers.

Hartwig is concise, but I feel like he ran out of steam for details after his boot section, and gets rather befuddled by the time he gets to women's shoes and slippers.

Great questions, feel free to follow-up.
dw
Seanchaidh

#371 Post by dw »

If I may...??

Following up on Sharon's question, what is pitchbarm?

And how was it used?
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
SharonKudrle

#372 Post by SharonKudrle »

Beer, Beer BEER ! (by-products)
das
Seanchaidh

#373 Post by das »

Hartwig tells you what it is. First viscous barm from wheat-beer brewing, mostly yeast.
dw
Seanchaidh

#374 Post by dw »

OK...sorry. I have a busy schedule this month and haven't DL'd or read it. :blush:

I thought pitchbarm might be one of those archaic terms / products that everyone in the 18th century knew about but didn't make the journey into the modern lexicon.

PS...wheat beer is not my thing. I hastily avert my eyes when I see it.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
das
Seanchaidh

#375 Post by das »

This is the only reference to pitchbarm, using it as an adhesive or burnishing aid, I've ever encountered anywhere. It might have been a Berlin thing? Even Schreber (1769) over in Saxony doesn't mention it in his shoemaking book, his excerpts contradicting or commenting on Garsault are salted all through 'AotS' BTW. When it comes to beer, if I can see through it, I don't drink it.