The Registry

Introducing...
damocles
Full Name: Paul Gilbert Baswell

Re: The Registry

#451 Post by damocles »

hi every one just joined looking forward to seeing and learning shoe's I'm a professional artist iv wanted to make shoe's sins i was 5 years old when my mom took me to a local Cobblers to have some high heals repaired but i never new were to start until i found Marcells video's on YouTube and the rest as they say is history i wont post my first couple of shoes they are not worth the leather they are mad from but i hope to post a new pare of Chukkas I'm working on later this month
gordon_crighton

#452 Post by gordon_crighton »

Hi All, I am Gordon Crighton Living in South Australia, Australia. i make Bespoke semi Trailer for a Job. Which give me money to spend on Shoe Making ( the money i have spent on shoe stuff would have had a life time of shoe)But that not what it about. i have meet some interresting peole so far.

I Been trying to make shoe for the past 2 years with a shoe teacher cenment constrution.

I have brought DW. Cowboy boot making book and have made 1 right boot which has turn out RUFF. I will make another boot , and then make a pair.
I was thinking of coming over in Octerber for your boot weekend and do a week coarse with Lisa Sorrell, i got me passport an Visa All book then put the pin.

I keep on buying shoe machines my lastest is a Landis 12 L stitcher, getting some part from Pilgrim Shoe so in about 3 week time there mite be some Hammer and spanner FLYING around the shed (i hope not)

Thanking you all for your time in reading HCC Topics
Cheers Gordon.
cknight

#453 Post by cknight »

Hello Everone!

I'm very happy to have found this community. I've been looking for exactly this for a couple of years. I am from southern California and do 3d modeling for dc shoes. Look forward to exploring all the invaluable information everyone so graciously shares on here!!

Chad
brooklyn_edie
Full Name: Brooklyn_edie

#454 Post by brooklyn_edie »

Everyone, Hello again
I am reintroducing myself as my first post needed to be deleted and adjusted.

Like some of you, I am on the East Coast, in NYC. Still consider myself a beginner in footwear, my preference is the cowboy boot these days, but I enjoy working on shoes, other boots, and anything that falls in my lap.

I look forward to taking part in this community as I've been following various discussions for some time now. Thanks to all of you for putting in the time to share your knowledge.

Edie
Old Bitchin Cat Boots
Brooklyn, NY
don_overton

#455 Post by don_overton »

Hi All,

My name is Don Overton and I live in northwest Michigan. I am a college graduate with an MBA, therefore, I have no employable skills! I should also mention that I have never developed any craft skills. So, I would call myself the ultimate challenge to any teacher should I attend a shoe making course.

I'm simply amazed by what I have seen here and developed a case of "wannabe-cordwainer-envy." Since I have no skills, would it be suggested to learn basic leather craft techniques before attempting a moccasin or a sandal? If so, what techniques would apply to move towards something that could resemble a shoe?

I am, and have been, a stay-at-home father for the past five years. My interest in making shoes actually emerged as I searched for, and studied, shoes for my kids. This interest in making shoes later included shoes for myself given that I have some "fit" issues. I can only hope that assembling a shoe is easier than raising kids!

Does anyone know of a cordwainer in northwest Michigan over whose shoulder I can look?

Any advice would be of great help,
Don
dlskidmore
Full Name: Denise Skidmore

#456 Post by dlskidmore »

Don,

I'm only a moccasin/sandal maker, and there are a lot of huge differences between moccasin making and formal shoe and boot making. If you just want minimalist shoes that fit well, start with moccasin and sandal making, if you want to make fancy shoes that fit in at the office, go straight to a shoe making class and learn the right way the first time.

Basic sewing skills may be helpful, you should find basic sewing classes at your local craft stores. The physical stitching is done differently with leather, but you can learn skills like working with patterns, getting right side/wrong sides going the right ways, turning seams, etc... with material that's cheaper to make mistakes on.

Denise Skidmore
don_overton

#457 Post by don_overton »

Thank you, Denise. I was thinking there may be a hierachical way of learning this craft.

Don
raving_raven

#458 Post by raving_raven »

Hi Don,

For a simple, low tech way to make healthy functional foot coverings, I can recommend the 5 DVD set from http://www.healthyhandmadeshoes.com/. I bought this even though I had made 3 pair of shoes by then, and still got a lot out of viewing it. This has a lot of good basic, easy to understand info and does not require either a lot of tools or a lot of materials and provides basic patterns.

I expanded on this outsewn technique by making my own lasts and patterns for more of a moccasin toe to get a higher toe box for my toes which curl up.

The problem with today's shoe designs is that they really destroy the functionality of the foot. Look at how the shape of your childrens' feet change as they start wearing shoes.

Shoes that distort the natural gait result in problems with hips and knees in later life. The Vibram five finger movement is an expression of this knowledge. However, they do not serve well in all situations and climates.

I am trying to design and make shoes that are faster to put on than the 5 fingers and better in rainy weather than they are.

I think making shoes is a lot easier than raising kids, but it does help to have good manual dexterity.

I would say to go to a Tandy store if you have one nearby and get a small project kit that requires sewing to see how you do with it. The one in Seattle is very helpful with answering questions and providing help. You can even buy a moccasin kit from them, just to get a feel for moccasins.

It is important I believe that you enjoy what you are doing. Otherwise, better to do what you enjoy and buy shoes, if you can find ones that fit!

Rosemary
don_overton

#459 Post by don_overton »

Thank you, Rosemary!
eric_e

#460 Post by eric_e »

Hello all,

I'm changing occupations and discovered shoemaking by way of a class offered by Bill Shanor. I'm amazed by the depth and breadth of knowledge, skill and experience that people here have. Really humbling. Thanks to all, and I look forward to having something to contribute!

Eric
powell2g

#461 Post by powell2g »

Hello to all,

I am doing research on late 18th Century Military boot construction of Colonial America. I would like to ask anybody with some knowledge of sole attachment of this period to please share any insight with me. For example, is a fully double row pegged sole more true than a fully welted sole? Also, if they were fully pegged and prior to when the boot was lasted was it a common practice to stitch the vamps/counters to the insole priot to pegging the outsole? Thank you to anybody in advance for any insight. Gil
kswildflower
Full Name: Katherine Ramsey

#462 Post by kswildflower »

Hello,
I'm here in the Kansas City suburbs and have recently caught the bug to really buckle down and learn everything I can about boot making, in particular cowboy boots.
Right now I am a part time server and a full time artist/seamstress/ milliner making historically accurate clothing. But I am really missing my ties to the equestrian world as I no longer have horses.
Pulling on my old boots the other day I thought "hey that's something I could really love making!"
So the journey has begun to find the right people to fill my head with all the right stuff :-) I'm a quick study, hard worker and love the tradition found in cowboy boots.
I'm starting to collect tools, materials and knowlage so any and all feed back/resources are very much appreciated.
Always- Katherine
delormea

#463 Post by delormea »

Hello,
I'm Aaron, from British Columbia, Canada. I've been reading endlessly, following blogs, reading threads on this forum and collecting books for the past 2 years, give or take. I'm slowly collecting the tools and materials I need to make a shoe, and have just gotten all I need to close a shoe by hand. More or less...
I've followed the plans in Golding I for a derby pattern, and am currently working on closing it. Looking forward to all I have to learn by asking questions on this board, and learning from the professionals. The people who make a living doing what we love!
It sure is addiciting...
Off to sharpen my knives more. That's the first lesson I learnt.
mcneffad

#464 Post by mcneffad »

Hello All,
I have also been following for about two years and reading as much as I could. I have made some progress but finally decided to register in order to get some more direct help on questions that are popping up. I look forward to reading and contributing.
-Ammon
jpx2
Full Name: Jim Perricone

#465 Post by jpx2 »

Hello to all,
I'm Jim from Washington (state).
I am returning here after a long time away. I had only begun learning when other things called me away, and so am still a novice's novice with only one pair of boots to my credit (thanks DW!).
Now I'm trying to catch up on what I've missed here (glad to see that all so well , even the ancient discussions), re-gathering info sources, tools, patterns, and even old leather that had been poised for boot construction.
Next I'll be looking forward to be able to ask some pertinent questions (after I sharpen my tools).
rhbootmaker

#466 Post by rhbootmaker »

Hi,
My name is Raphael I'm 22 years old and I am a third generation Bootmaker here in San Jose California. My Father has been working since he was 12 in Santiago Chile he has been passing me all his knowledge of bootmaking for the past 4 years very intensively. Im very interested to get to know you all and discuss the methods of making and finishing etc etc. And DW I think my father knows you Image.
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#467 Post by paul »

Welcome Raphael.

I wish you success there in San Jose.

I had a repair shop in San Mateo for 10 yrs or so. In fact, I met your father in the early '90's when I was just beginning to see myself as a boot maker.

You should find a lot of info here, and plenty of willing support.

Best Wishes,
Paul
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#468 Post by dw »

Welcome indeed, Raphael.

I'm sure that you will find friends and all the information that you might want here.

I'm ashamed to admit that I am terrible at remembering people, esp. if I have no face to associate. That said, say hola to your dad.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.[/center]
Nathan
Full Name: Nathan Baxter-Black
Been Liked: 1 time

#469 Post by Nathan »

As an introduction my name is Nathan Baxter-Black and I live far afield in Sydney, Australia.
Having had a long term fascination for shoes and boots I left my chair bound job and went into the craft of shoe/boot repair. I have been exceedingly fortunate that I have been able to twist the arms of many people to help gain the host of great experiences and meager learning that I have.

Recently, for my 40th, my very understanding wife managed to wangle a one on one shoe making course with those wonderful chaps/chappettes at Carreducker. It was a bit of a bus man's holiday but I loved the level of process involved and was hooked anew.

Now I split my time working full-time as a shoe repairer and making. The making has certainly opened my eyes a new to that exciting gulf of knowledge and most nights are spent stitching, researching, ebaying for tools and sharpening my leather knife...my wife gets a look in every so often.

I joined the board to reach out and say hello to other people of similar interest. And to employ a bit of a safety net when I have that late night "Have I just done that completely wrong" question.

Regards

Nathan
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#470 Post by admin »

Welcome Nathan! We have three or four other members from Down Under.

I have corresponded with James and follow his blog religiously but I believe I'm closer to you than to Britain.

I hope you will be active and I trust you will find many friends here.

Emmett
caleb
Full Name: Caleb Cluff

#471 Post by caleb »

Hey Nathan...Caleb here in central Vic... love to chat some time.
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray
Been Liked: 1 time

#472 Post by jon_g »

Welcome Nathan, sounds like you're in the right place.
bootmkr
Full Name: Lonnie Smith

#473 Post by bootmkr »

Hello to you all. i thought I would try this out since I haven't post in a while, Last year was not so good I had 2 cancel surgery so I been out of the shop for a while But I'm back and caught up on my orders and doing good, fingers cross. Sure like the new site... Lonnie
k'abel
Full Name: alana lacroix

#474 Post by k'abel »

hi all,
my name's alana and i'm from winnipeg, manitoba. i've been lurking for a while now gaining knowledge and making my eyes bug out of my head :doh:
i've made a couple of pair of medieval turnshoes, and while i really enjoyed it, i'd like to eventually expand to not having to turn my shoes right-side-out. my current project isn't shoes, but rather a messenger bag for a friend to keep his camera and lenses in.
islandpiper
Full Name: Keith Davis

#475 Post by islandpiper »

Greetings from the far S.E. part of Louisiana, USA, land of shrimp and sunshine. Thanks for letting me be a part of this historic and educational group. I am a hobby leatherworker, a traditional sort of fellow, working full time as a violinmaker. Looking forward to learning, then practicing, and eventually making historic but useable shoes. Thanks again! piper