Insoles and inseaming

Share secrets, compare techniques, discuss the merits of materials--eg. veg vs. chrome--and above all, seek knowledge.
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: Insoles and inseaming

#401 Post by dearbone »

Janne,Joe, Thanks.

Joe,my stitches can be a little smaller in comparison to the shoemaker that showed me how to do it,The stitch length on the top row(insole+upper sewing)determines the length of sole stitching and that stitch has to be small enough to pull the welt in place,right below the top one and in the middle of it for a tight water resisting welt,i might get myself in trouble saying this here,but this welt is the best water resisting welt,take it from one who lives in a very wet country and likes to go to the bush bird watching.

Nasser
kevin_l
Full Name: Kevin W. Leary

#402 Post by kevin_l »

Interesting learning experience. Ordered an insole shoulder from Warkov-Safeer. Also got some pig liner. Got a call from a boarder agent that because the order was over $200 American I needed a broker. It all added up W/duties to be ~$45.00. And the country of origan is listed as ..Mexico... Tanned leather from Mexico..to Canada.. to the US has a duty. Mexico to US, not same. So much for FREE TRADE agreements! EH?
dearbone

#403 Post by dearbone »

Kevin,

I go through the same treatment when I buy supplies from the US,I realized some time ago that free trade was not intended for small operations like yours and mine but for big corporations, the soles and insoles from warkov are Canadian and American skins shipped to Mexico to get tanned and back to us again as finished work,enough of that,the good news is warkov shoulders are good,i hoard them when I can,I also cut my heel stiffeners and welts form them,for the welts I sometimes hammer down the mellow strips to condense the fibres a little,they also carry good belly strips for low price.
courtney
Full Name: courtney schamach

#404 Post by courtney »

Nasser or anyone who knows, Do you skive or cut a groove in the welt for alpine?
I am going to try this can you give me any pointers or a link to previous posts, sometimes its hard to find old posts on here.

Thanks,
Courtney
dearbone

#405 Post by dearbone »

Courtney,

No groove on this one,but I skive the top part of the welt where your top stitch or where you sew the upper and insole,if let say 6 oz welt is used, skive one side of it half way,make your welt a little wider than for English welt, Make your channel on the insole and pre-hole it to make it a little easier for you for the first time,if you are stitching all around,skive the overlapping ends of the welt, a welt knife is used to trim the top of the welt when you are done.
Let me know if you have a question.

Nasser
courtney

#406 Post by courtney »

Thanks, I just cut out the uppers, so it might take me some time to get to the welt. I might have some more questions when I get closer.

Courtney
kemosabi
Full Name: Nat Ledbetter
Been Liked: 1 time

#407 Post by kemosabi »

Courtney, Try this (cut and paste into a google search bar):

site:thehcc.org norwegian

Also; There used to be a great youtube vid of Anthony Delos stitching a Norwegian welt, but unfortunately it's been removed... Too bad.

Cheers,
-Nat

(Message edited by Kemosabi on December 03, 2012)
courtney

#408 Post by courtney »

Thanks Nat, that shows more of the text so you can wade through alittle easier maybe.

Courtney
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray

#409 Post by jon_g »

It's a different way than I've seen before, totally genius, I could watch this guy for hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOR_-S3yYnQ
dearbone

#410 Post by dearbone »

I just recently posted a photo tutorial of the alpine welt as i know it,it has been a long time and this welt is tough,sewn with 7 strands of #10 linen thread courtesy Jake Dobbins,thank you Jake.
http://nasserviesshoes.wordpress.com/

Nasser
homeboy
Full Name: Jake Dobbins
Has Liked: 111 times
Been Liked: 30 times

#411 Post by homeboy »

Nasser,

Looks great! Nice job!
Glad I could help.
dearbone

#412 Post by dearbone »

Jake, the thread was a treat, The bad side was the near freezing temperature which hampered the waxing,the cold temperature was making the wax crumble of the thread when i hole them,but hold well going all around the shoe without re-waxing or a break of a strand and that i have not seen in a long time,I need a wood stove in the shop to do this well in Canadian winters.

A word or two about the two totally different bottoming techniques shown above,The alpine welt i am referring to is what HMSFM refer to as the "Double stitched shoe",p-157 except in the book a mid sole is used and a third stitching row for the outer sole which is recommended instead of using one thick sole which requires some hard pulling to bring the welt in place.
courtney

#413 Post by courtney »

Nasser, where did the tutorial go?

When sewing the alpine welt, do you need to worry about flattening and making the counter and upper, & lining nice or can you sort of disregard all that since it gets trimmed back so far?

Courtney
dearbone

#414 Post by dearbone »

The Tutorial went to trash bin,nothing stays there for ever,I can send you the photos you if you like.

I last the shoe for the alpine welt as for other welts/construction,The most important thing for this welt is the preparation for it,The insole need to be soaked in water for few hours,placed in paper and left over night until the next day to put on the last and make channel and holes,The welt and the soles need to be mellow when stitched,The inseaming and the sole stitching needs to be done in one long sitting,So the old teacher advise to me was to stay away from the wife the night before weltingImage your thread needs to be strong for both top and bottom(sole stitch, make the sole thread one strand more if you can,the reason for that is the fact that thread is pulled hard for every stitch and i do worry whenever i take on to make a pair of shoes and i stay worried until the last task is finished,nothing is taken for granted here.

Nasser

(Message edited by dearbone on January 13, 2013)
courtney

#415 Post by courtney »

Sure, I would love to have the photos!

Thanks
dearbone

#416 Post by dearbone »

Will do soon, let me know if you need more clarification and good luck.

Nasser
courtney

#417 Post by courtney »

So, I Sewed one alpine welt, and it not easy to get it to lay flat now, any tips on geting it to bend below the stitches and lay flat?

Its pulled in under the counter and flipped up at the toe.

In other words, HELP!!!! Arggghh

Courtney
dearbone

#418 Post by dearbone »

First of all "easy" is not one of the words i use when talking about this welt,Image Few things I already mentioned can cause or to help the welt stay flat to feather after inseamed, Skiving on side and being mellow at the time of sewing and stitching, not to mention the welt leather quality itself,by nature the curves in the toe and back of last will cause the welt shooting upward but this is a small issue and it will be easily overcome by the use of wood stick when the soles are placed and whatever is left will be pulled down with thread and muscles, The access upper/lining can be glued down to the insole instead of triming it.
send us a picture of your sewing if possible.
Nasser
15107.jpg
15108.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
courtney

#419 Post by courtney »

thanks Nasser, I think it's going to be o.k., things seem better after a good night sleep. I think it took 4 or 5 hours just to sew one welt all the way around. I trimmed back the welt above the stitches and can tell I should have skived more.

thanks,
Courtney
courtney

#420 Post by courtney »

thanks Nasser, I think it's going to be o.k., things seem better after a good night sleep. I think it took 4 or 5 hours just to sew one welt all the way around. I trimmed back the welt above the stitches and can tell I should have skived more.

thanks,
Courtney
dearbone

#421 Post by dearbone »

It takes few attempts to get the feel for it and in years of doing it one gets a thumb mark(deformed thumb), the trophy of all hand stitchers.
The day before begining to stitch the soles,cut them,put cement on the flesh side,allow the glue to dry and then soak them for few hours in water,take them out and place the wetted soles grain to grain and wrap them in paper and put them in a dark spot overnight to be used the next day or the day after,gluing the soles before soaking them will prevent moisture penetration on the grain side which need to stick well to the shoe before stitching.

Nasser
kemosabi

#422 Post by kemosabi »

In the very dry climate of Colorado, they must be used the next day or they're too dry even wrapped in two layers of paper. If not used within 24 hours, placing them in a plastic bag will keep for another day or two. Welts have to be re-wetted while sewing or it's too dry by the time it's finished. A cheap squirt bottle within arm's reach comes in handy.

Nasser,
Nice trick; gluing before soaking.
Think I'll try to avoid the trophy thumb as long as possible!

Cheers,
-Nat
dearbone

#423 Post by dearbone »

Nat,

My shoe mentor was 86 years old when i first sat cross the bench from him to make piece work shoes and boots,He has been stitching since he was 12, his fingers were a size of small bananas,his stitching hand thumb was almost twice as big as his other and me being young and new,used to laugh at it quietly with our shop master who was our upper maker,Now some later years i was doing a talk and a demo on shoe making at Bata, Mrs Bata was hosting the event and i never met her to that day,my talk was mainly about hand stitching shoes and it was inside the HQ of the biggest mass producing shoe factory, when my talk was over and i returned to my showcase table of hand made shoes at the other end of the room talking to interested people and answering questions and shaking hands, when i saw Mrs Bata approaching,I stood tall and extended my hand to shake hers,but she pulled my right hand up and was looking at my thumb, when i realized what she was looking for, I told her i carry the awl with the left and she grabbed the left hand and looked, than i smiled remembering my mentor thumb.
kemosabi

#424 Post by kemosabi »

Great story Nasser.
It figures most full-time makers have strong fingers and iron grip. Amazing how the body builds up to compensate for constant pressure.
licere
Full Name: Peter Mikulecky
Been Liked: 6 times

#425 Post by licere »

Hello Colloquians!

What should one consider when deciding between inseaming a 360 degree welt to a shoe versus applying a 270 degree welt with a pegged heel rand?

With Gratitude,

PJM