HCC meeting in Oct.

Do you know of a boot or shoe related event that might be of interest? Hear Ye, Hear Ye...
danfreeman
Full Name: Dan Freeman

Re: HCC meeting in Oct.

#376 Post by danfreeman »

I certainly enjoyed seeing you all who made it up to Middlebury, Vermont for the Annual General Meeting this St. Crispin's weekend past, hurricane or no. It is always a pleasure to see the old friends, some of whom have been showing up for decades, still devoted to to our craft. What pleasantly surprised me, however, was the number of new, younger members, and I hope, participants, interested in shoemaking and in the Company.

I was grateful for the pleasant weather, and a little remaining fall foliage; Vermont is pleasant, if a little pricey. Several members saw more of it than planned, however--the last two left this morning, a result of the travel delays that caused trouble for many of you.

Thanks to the Speakers Committee, Al Saguto and Marc Carlson, for putting the whole program together. It was a very good variety of viewpoints. Nobody expected brain tanning to be fascinating, for example. Thanks to Bill & Julie Shanor, and Dick Anderson, for a lot of set-up work and general organization, and my wife Sue for the real help.

I think almost everybody found the weekend profitable and enjoyable. I expect next years' meeting at Lisa Sorrell's to be bigger and better.

Thank you all for coming,

Dan Freeman
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#377 Post by das »

HCC AGM 27 Breaks All Records!

Tally so far was 83 adults, and 3 freshly-minted "future shoemakers". Who says East Coast venues don't draw shoemakers? Despite "Frankenstorm" Sandy, all we got up in VT weather-wise was a little blustery wind and spotty showers, though being the only HCCers trying to fly south through Philly, we couldn't get a flight out until yesterday at O-Dark-Thirty, but we're home (to leaf clogged gutters, the only damage in Williamsburg).

A big THANK YOU to Dan and Sue, the "advance crew" of roadies, Bill Shanor and Dick Anderson who helped get Dan's shop and our meeting rooms set up. Thanks to all our speakers:

Edward Maeder – Embroidered Shoes 1700-1950
Al Saguto – Shoemakers' Guilds in the Modern Age: The Positive Utility of History
Joel Anderson -- A Genteel Trade: Starting an Interpretive and Production Shoe Program at Fort Ticonderoga
Lisa Sorrell – In the field: Teaching at Penland Crafts School
Paul Soares, Kearsarge Peg Co. – History of Peg Making
Brett Walker – The Years of the Life of Samuel Lane: 1718-1806
Dan Freeman – Custom Shoemaking Tips and Techniques
Frank Jones – Hands-on Pattern-making Workshop
Georgene McKim – Sneaky Tricks for Women’s Shoes, Part IV
Sharon Raymond – Bruce Said "Patterns" and My Life Hasn't Been the Same Since
Lynn McNab – From Brains to Boots

I know Larry took group photos to post, and I'm sure others will do likewise once everybody gets home and settled. What a fantastic AGM! As has been noted, so many excited young faces and new members... I think the HCC is vigorous and growing, and I look forward to next year's program and line-up of speakers (Lisa, that'll be BBQ for 80+).
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 8 times

#378 Post by tjburr »

I took a few pictures. I will download them this weekend, shrink them and post them. I however did not get much in the way of group pictures and would love to see a group picture.

Terry
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#379 Post by walrus »

Terry
I took pictures ,and the group picture I will put them up over the week end as well.
eric_e

#380 Post by eric_e »

I'd like to voice my objection to the public posting of pictures without the permission of the people in the images, and suggest that a separate area accessible only to members be set up for candid pictures.

Thank you.
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Been Liked: 5 times

#381 Post by admin »

Objection noted.

However, everything about your suggestion runs contrary to the spirit of camaraderie, fraternity and sharing that characterizes this Guild.

You might contact Terry or Larry and see if they can cut you out of the photos they are intending to post or at least forego naming you in a group photo. That will be up to them and their judgement.

Beyond that, the only suggestion I have is to stay out of the camera when attending Guild functions.

Emmett
walrus

#382 Post by walrus »

Eric
In all the years that this guild has existed no one has ever made that request. But there's always a first and I would be happy to take any pictures of you out, or take you out of the picture, but I don't know what you look like.I will not modify the group picture because it was very stated before we took the picture what we were doing and I would not want to wreck the shot for every one else. Sorry.I will blur your head on any that you are in if you private email me a picture of you.so that I would know who you are, or what you look like .I will await your email providing you let me know before I post them this weekend .
Respectfully
Larry Waller
eric_e

#383 Post by eric_e »

Larry

Thanks for your offer. Posed group shots are fine; no objection. Maybe I could have been clearer.

But sometimes people have really poor images of other people that aren't flattering at all. And before posting some ugly picture of someone, it seems like common courtesy to let them approve or not, especially if it's going to be permanently broadcast around the world, no?

But if the Admins overrule me, then I guess I'm overruled.

Thank you both for responding.

Eric
walrus

#384 Post by walrus »

Eric thank you for your response. We care less about what you look like and more about where your passion for the craft is . We all carry that common bond the love of the craft and those that practice it. That's the Juice that we all get from coming to the convention, it lasts till we get the chance to get together again. We make new friends have wonderful conversations and share our experiences. Hope to see you next year. Thanks for being part of our Guild.
Respectfully
Larry Waller
Walrus Shoe & Leather Co.LLC
admin
Site Admin

#385 Post by admin »

Eric,

Actually, admin is neutral as to whether you allow your photo to be posted. It was Admin, after all, that suggested you contact Larry and Terry.

Admin simply doesn't see the need or the utility of creating a new and separate thread that, if past experience is any indication, will seldom or ever be used.

If nothing else it creates a burden for the software and the server.

Yr. Hmb. Svt.
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#386 Post by paul »

Admin and Larry,

Thank you for your example, in your handling such a request. It has been respectful, reasonable and compassionate.
I hope you feel so too Eric.

With Regards,
Paul
eric_e

#387 Post by eric_e »

Admins and all:

I appreciate your responses. My point, though - in case it's been missed - is that once an image gets posted, it can't be taken back, at least from the long arm of Google. So party A (an extroverted publicity hound) may genuinely think it's fine to post a picture of party B (who values his privacy) spilling his drink or eating some slippery food or sneezing or whatever. And that can cause some tensions between members that might not happen if the distribution were limited to HCC members instead of 6+ billion people on planet Earth. So it was kind of proactive thought that might apply to other people as well.

On the other hand, I appreciate that admins do a great job administering the site as volunteers, people enjoy seeing and sharing pictures, folks here seem to have good judgment, and we all have other more important stuff to do.

Regards
Eric
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Been Liked: 8 times

#388 Post by tjburr »

Everyone,

Sorry I have not posted, I ended up getting really busy and have not been able to find time for using the computer.

Eric; Like Larry, if you send me a picture I have no problem making sure that you are not in the picture through blurring or just picking the correct pictures. I believe I have a face connected with you but would hate to make a mistake. I can also send you the pictures you are in through email.

Most of my pictures were of the speakers, but I do have a few of people roaming around Dan's shop.

Terry
eric_e

#389 Post by eric_e »

I've been overly cautious about the picture thing and am withdrawing my objection to posting images of me.

Dan and Larry--thanks for your offers, but it isn't necessary to blur my face or selectively edit. Apologies for the miscues and thanks to all for your consideration.

Eric
admin
Site Admin

#390 Post by admin »

On another subject...regarding the 2013 AGM in Guthrie, OK...I am going to propose that we have a "Medal of Distinction" struck for "quick thinking, acts of kindness, and constructive behaviours."

And this years recipient....

Jake Dobbins.

Jake saved a woman's life at AGM. He and Paul Krause were picking up ice at a convenience store before going over to Lisa's and the clerk collapsed right in front of them. Her colleagues and/or acquaintances mentioned she was diabetic. Everyone was standing around picking their noses and Jake stepped in and shoo'ed them away. Then he grabbed a bottle of apple juice that was on sale on nearby counter and poured it down her throat. She was "back" by the time the ambulance arrived.

Good on you, Jake. :tiphat:
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray

#391 Post by jon_g »

Good job Jake! People are often afraid to step in and instead do nothing. Glad to know there's people who jump in to help a stranger.
homeboy
Full Name: Jake Dobbins
Has Liked: 111 times
Been Liked: 30 times

#392 Post by homeboy »

Thanks Dee-Dubb & Jon!

After 34 years of training........I should know something besides looking up at the sky. I was glad to be "where" I "was" at the time.

After the incident, I headed back to the line at a register. The manager came up to me and ask what I was doing. I said, "I need a couple of bags of ice." He said, "Get'em." I started to pull some money out of my pocket and he stopped me. He said, "Get what you want and don't look back!"

Nice of you to mention it Dee-Dubb!

Merry Christmas One and All!
What one man has done....another can do.
admin
Site Admin

#393 Post by admin »

[center]The Honourable Cordwainers’ Company
31st Annual General Meeting

October 23-25, 2015

In cooperation with the
Savannah College of Art and Design
Savannah, Georgia
[/center]

Friday, October 23

11:00 p.m. & 2:00PM
Savannah College of Art and Design – HCC tour of SCAD campus / Tour begins and ends at SCAD Poetter Hall, 342 Bull Street – visits to fashion, accessory, industrial design, jewelry, and fibers facilities
3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Registration – Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Midtown, 5711 Abercorn Street
4:00 – 6:30pm
Open studios of Accessory Design faculty:
145 Bull St - Damion Le Cappelain
2201 Bull St - Marcell Mrsan, Michelle Quick
7:00 p.m.
Annual “Feasting & Drinking” Welcome Dinner at Johnny Harris Restaurant, 1651 E Victory Drive

Saturday, October 24

Programs at the Telfair Museum’s Jepson Center, 207 W. York Street

8:15 a.m.
AGM for dues paid members

8:45 – 9:00 a.m.
Coffee and Donuts

HCC Keynote Presentations – Jepson Center Auditorium

9:00 a.m.
Michelle Quick, Accessory Design Professor, Savannah College of Art & Design
Lecture - The Benefits of Traditional Shoemaking Skills in Footwear Design Education
9:40 a.m.
Brett Walker, Journeyman Shoemaker, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Reinventing the Shoe? The Historical DNA of Modern Shoemaking
10:20 a.m. Break

10:30 a.m.
Anne Marika Verploegh Chasse, Kika Bespoke, Instructor at FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) in the Accessories Department and Instructor at RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) in Apparel and Industrial Design for Footwear and Special Topic Courses - Collaboration in the workshop - a practical approach: Ideas, Materials, Techniques - Exploring past and current projects in the collaboration pipeline at Brooklyn Bespoke - a closer look
11:10 a.m.
D.A. Saguto, Master Boot & Shoemaker, Department of Historic Trades, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, Consulting Curator, Archaeological Footwear, Jamestown Rediscovery Project/Historic Jamestowne - Vanishing Footprints on the Past: The Archeological Footwear of Jamestown Island, Virginia 1607-1665
11:50 – 1:00 Lunch Boxes to Go on Telfair Square

1:00 p.m.
Sarah Woodyard, Apprentice, Milliner and Mantuamaker, Margaret Hunter Millinery Shop, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation - Martha Washington: The First Lady of Fashionable Footwear
1:40 p.m.
Marcell Mrsan, Master Shoemaker, Accessory Design Professor, Savannah College of Art & Design
2:20 p.m.
Edward Maeder, Costume & Textile Consultant, former Curator of Costumes and Textiles at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, former director of the Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto - Asleep on your feet – A sheep on your feet: The Use of Wool for Fashionable Footwear 1700-2000
3:00 p.m. Break

3:20 p.m.
Dan Freeman, Freeman’s Leatherworks - Last Fitting: Art or Science?
4:00 p.m.
Zoe Rios, BOCPD, Prescription for Shoes - Pedorthics and Traditional Shoemaking
5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
Footwear Exhibition and Meet and Greet with SCAD Accessory Students
SCAD Eckburg Hall, 115 W Henry St
7:30 p.m
Dinner – Florence Restaurant, 1 B West Victory Drive
TBD p.m.
Show, Tool Swap and Trade – Members’ work on show – Hilton Garden Midtown
Sunday, October 25

8:00 a.m. Breakfast – Foxy Loxy Café, 1919 Bull Street

9:00–12:00 p.m. Hands on Workshops and Lectures in Accessory Design Studios, SCAD Eckburg Hall, 115 West Henry Street
Michelle Quick, Accessory Design Professor, Savannah College of Art & Design
Demonstration - Tassels and Kilties: Pattern, Cutting, and Assembly

Marcell Mrsan – Master Shoemaker, Accessory Design Professor, Savannah College of Art & Design - Footwear Patterning

Candance Parton – Accessory Design Professor, Savannah College of Art & Design -
Leather Rendering Techniques

Michelle Quick
– Accessory Design Professor, Savannah College of Art & Design
Tassel and Kiltie Design and Execution

Damion Le Cappelain – Accessory Design Professor, Savannah College of Art & Design
Upper Making Techniques

Grad student presentations TBA
12:30 p.m. Lunch – Crystal Beer Parlor, 301 West Jones Street

2:00 p.m.. SCAD Museum Tour – TBD

6:00 p.m. Late-Owl Dinner – Blue Moon Brewery, 21 W. Bay Street

HOTEL AND TRAVEL
The nearest airport is the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport, eight miles from Savannah’s downtown.

Hotel:
There are plenty of hotel options in Savannah: http://www.savannah.com/accommodation-options-savannah/
For your convenience, here are a few additional options:

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Savannah Gateway
866-790-9629
16 Gateway Boulevard East, Savannah, GA 31419
http://www.countryinns.com/savannah-hot ... 19/usasgga

Oglethorpe Inn & Suites
7110 Hodgson Memorial Drive, Savannah, GA 31406-2532
http://www.oglethorpeinn.com/

Wingate by Wyndham Savannah Airport
50 Sylvester C. Formey Drive, Savannah, GA 31408
http://www.wingatehotels.com/hotels/geo ... l-overview

PRE-EVENT REGISTRATION

Please fill out the Pre-Event Registration Form available on the Our Annual Meeting page at http://www.thehcc.org For those pre-registering, registration fees are $30.00 for members and $15.00 for spouses, $10 for students. Registration at the door, for those who have not RSVP'd, will be $40/$20 for spouses.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#394 Post by dw »

Here are some photos taken at the 2105 AGM in Savannah, Georgia...courtesy of Marcel Mrsan.

(I don't know everybody at the AGM...where appropriate I will fill in names. For those I don't know, or get wrong, a quick note to admin will result in an edit or correction.)

Early arrivees--a select group in a large auditorium. Al Saguto in front row. Michelle Quick, SCAD host sitting next to him. El Jefe, Dan Freeman, in aisle next to her. Brett Walker (presenter) behind Dan. John Roberts sitting at top and Marika (Anne Marika Verploegh Chasse) in aisle next to him. Edward Meader (HCC board) sitting just below John and with open laptop.
select group large auditorium (1280 x 1024).jpg
Dan Freeman at the lectern, presumably, for his presentation Last Fitting: Art or Science?
dan at lectern (1280 x 1024).jpg
Al Saguto for his turn at the lectern...Vanishing Footprints on the Past: The Archeological Footwear of Jamestown Island, Virginia 1607-1665
Al at lectern (1280 x 1024).jpg
Michelle Quick, SCAD host at lectern presenting The Benefits of Traditional Shoemaking Skills in Footwear Design Education
Michelle Quick (1280 x 1024).jpg
Marcel Mrsan presenting Footwear Patterning (Georgene McKim with the flaming red hair and John Roberts with the snow white hair, Bruce Graham red shirt and black braces; Terry Burris (foreground, back of head with pony tail); to his right Edward Meader (green sports coat w/ black strap)
)
Marcel's presentation (1280 x 1024).jpg
another view of Marcel's presentation...(Anne Marika Verploegh Chasse in pink sweater, Terry Burgess in brown shirt and Edward Maeder, bearded guy in green sports coat dead center of photo)
Marcel's presentation_2 (1280 x 1024).jpg
Georgene McKim, Edward Maeder and John Roberts.
georgene & john (1280 x 1024).jpg
A tasty display of work presumably done by Savannah College of Art and Design students
student designs (1280 x 1024).jpg
Again, if I got anything wrong here, please forgive. The photos did not come with an accompanying narrative, so I had to guess to some extent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
paul

#395 Post by paul »

Thank you for putting these up DW.
Wish I could have made it this year.
And Thank You for helping me get "back in".
With Regards,
Paul
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#396 Post by dw »

[chuckle]...The cordwainer's application to join the Honourable Cordwainers' Company was accepted.

:wink_smile:
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
paul

#397 Post by paul »

:crackup:
roy_najecki
Full Name: Roy Najecki

#398 Post by roy_najecki »

For the upcoming 2017 AGM in Doylestown PA, are the presentations to be held at the Mercer Museum or in a room at the conference hotel: Hampton Inn & Suites? Also for the various meals, can someone explain the "On the Economy" phrase as found on the AGM registration sheet.
Saint-Crepin
Full Name: Brett Ray Walker

#399 Post by Saint-Crepin »

Dear Roy,

I cannot say where the presentations will be held, exactly, but I do know that "on the economy" simply means every person pays for their own meal.

See you there, and I remain,

Yrs., &c.,
Brett Walker, Boot & Shoemaker
Bt.W.&Co.

“Can the past be taught, can it even be known, by people who have no respect for it? If you believe in the absolute superiority of the new, can you learn and teach anything identifiable as old?” ~ Wendell Berry