Shoe machines

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
tibthebear
Full Name: Tibere Benoist d'Anthenay

Re: Shoe machines

#501 Post by tibthebear »

Hello all,

I'v been looking to buy a sewing machine, in order to relief my hands and make some finer works. I have stumbled upon a Pfaff 491 (which I've read great things about on this forum) and it is being sold for 1000 dollars, is that a fair price?

please let me know,
I can't seem to find much pricing information about this machine on the web.

thank you,

Tibere
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#502 Post by dearbone »

Tibere,

price has nothing to do with how good this machine might be,the company is probably the best sewing machine makers,it is always good to try sewing with this machine first,if not seen,it is better to buy from someone you know and can trust their word for it.
kemosabi
Full Name: Nat Ledbetter
Been Liked: 1 time

#503 Post by kemosabi »

After searching for several months; I just recently bought a Pfaff 491 machine and I can tell you I paid a great deal more than $1000 for the one I got! If it's in good condition and a true German Pfaff, it's definitely worth this price.

Nasser's comment is wise and could save you from a bad surprise.

Regards,
-Nat
john_ralston
Full Name: John Ralston

#504 Post by john_ralston »

The new Pfaff Machines are made in China, so do your research on the machine. Follow the advise of Nasser and Nat.
tibthebear

#505 Post by tibthebear »

Okay, thanks very much guys =)
much appreciated
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#506 Post by dearbone »

Call Michel Simard Limited in Cambridge Ontario,An old shoe town before the "fall off the cliff" to use Al's anology, Ask for Jeff Simard,he knows sewing machines,Tell him what you are looking for. 519 622 0850
tibthebear

#507 Post by tibthebear »

I'll give him a call,
thanks Nasser
raving_raven

#508 Post by raving_raven »

Any opinions on landis 5 in 1 vs rodi 6 in 1
artvanhecke
Full Name: Arthur Van Hecke

#509 Post by artvanhecke »

Hi Rosemary,

I have used a Rodi at another shop, I don't know if it was a 6 in 1 or not as I have a hard time telling anyone what the 5 functions my Landis 5 in 1 does, I can get to 4 easily. The Rodi is a little more modern construction wise, and it has a longer arm like my Landis 4 in 1. It worked fine and if I had it in the shop, I would use it or the Landis. If I only had the Rodi, that would be OK too. I don't need all that cutting depth, when cutting big pieces of oak tanned sole leather, I use the bandsaw.

I'd pay $500 for a good 5 in 1, maybe a little more based on condition. How much is the Rodi?

Art
raving_raven

#510 Post by raving_raven »

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the info. There are some ancient landis on ebay with bids starting at $199 right now, but they do not seem to be a bargain. One seller has only one photo and wants $100 for shipping. The other has more photos but hard to tell condition from the photos.

I have been looking longingly at finding something that I can cut through leather that is glued to light weight soling material, ie both materials.

I have been making heeless, flatsole,outsewn shoes and it is hard on my hands to trim the soles after stitching, so started looking for a landis. Several companies have reconditioned or rebuilt ones for $1,295, either the landis or rodi. I had leaned toward Rodi just because it had a wider throat and one more function, which I think might be a guage to facilitate strap cutting, but don't really know.

Since we have a bandsaw, I guess I don't have to worry about cutting up big pieces of soling leather! Thanks for the tip!

According to Landis website, the 5 in 1 is a welt roller, sole cutter, heel trimmer, edge beveler and a skiver all in one. I wish someone had a video of all these parts being used so I could relate them to the machine, as I have never used one. Landis does have an engineering drawing and parts list for the 5 in one. It is an interesting machine but even with the drawing not clear how to use anything but the welt roller and the cutter.

Thanks again,
Rosemary
athan_chilton
Full Name: Athan Chilton

#511 Post by athan_chilton »

You might check with Melanie Machine in Los Angeles, or Pilgrim Shoe & Sewing Machine Co. in Quincy, MA. Neither will sell you something "cheap" like on ebay, but you will get a new or reconditioned machine that will work the way it's supposed to. I think Pilgrim might also have parts and info on various makes of 5 in 1 machines. I'm pretty sure I got mine from one or the other of these companies (it's a Champion, not a Landis) and it works well. It will cut out insole or outsole pieces and skive them (adjustable skive, even). Not sure if the 'welt roller' and sole press are the same thing, but possibly they are - a horizontal circular unit that you press down on the leather with a hand lever. This is a very useful machine! (I am not connected to either of the businesses named above but have dealt with them in the past, with good results).
jesselee
Full Name: Jesse Lee Cantrell

#512 Post by jesselee »

Rosemary,

I have a bandsaw. never used it to cut sole leather. Can you give me a few tips please.

Cheers,

JesseLee
artvanhecke
Full Name: Arthur Van Hecke

#513 Post by artvanhecke »

Hi JesseLee,

I use a band saw to cut sole leather a lot. I got it from my brother in law years ago and it had a whole box of saw blades with and another box or knife blades. The saw blades work ok and the knife blades work excellent. The only problem I have is changing the blades as I look like I had a fight with a tomcat after changing them.

The 5 in 1 is good for trimming soles, but I use the 4 in 1 (I call it a 4 in 1, because it doesn't have a welt press on it and has a longer throat) more because it has a table (not real big) on the cutter.

Try the band saw, it is pretty versatile, but it can be the most dangerous machine in the shop.
raving_raven

#514 Post by raving_raven »

My sincere thanks to all of you for the assorted info. This forum is really a great resource.

I agree about the band saw, but we lower the blade guide way down when cutting thinner stuff.

I am fortunate that my hubby changes the blades, as they really are worse than any blackberry bush.

We use skip tooth bimetal blades that will cut copper or aluminum for most everything as hubby would rather not change the blade.

I did not know that knife blades were available for this beast, tho the thought of changing one of those is a lot more frightening than a toothed blade.

Rosemary
raving_raven

#515 Post by raving_raven »

My Landis 5 in 1 arrived today and I love it. I can now take a thick piece of veg tan and skive it down to nothing to fold over and make a folded hem. I used the disc thing which is called a beveler to flatten the fold and it is very easy to follow curves and make a tidy turn. I have not gotten as far as glueing it down but just working the leather dry was really easy! And it slices through multiple layers of leather and midsole and outsole like a dream. I am having way too much fun testing the options and adjustments, making lots of scrap. Thanks again for all the advice above which really helped me decide on the machine.

(Message edited by raving_raven on July 18, 2012)
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#516 Post by dw »

No biggie...but your "beveler" is actually called a "welt press", at least in my experience.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Little Jack Dandiprat in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives, the shorter he grows.[/center]
raving_raven

#517 Post by raving_raven »

So that is where the welt press is! I read the description of functions on the Landis site (According to Landis website, the 5 in 1 is a welt roller, sole cutter, heel trimmer, edge beveler and a skiver all in one)and made up my own assignments. Mind you I had never seen this machine used let alone tried one out.

I tried looking it up in the Leno and Salaman books but I could not find it. I have found a parts diagram on the web at Shoe Systems Plus, and yes indeed, that disc is labelled welt roller. I have not been able to find a manual on how to use the machine.

So is the "edge beveler" just the skiver set to a tiny corner off the leather, or is there another part used for that? Actually, what does edge beveler signify? A 45 degree skive? Sometimes English is just so imprecise!

All donations of knowledge gratefully accepted! Thanks to HCC for the wonderful books by Golding and Thornton that I just discovered. Wow!
frank_jones
Full Name: Frank Jones

#518 Post by frank_jones »

Rosemary Antel

You are right in saying that we are fortunate in having books by Golding and Thornton available on the HCC site but a major part of the thanks should, in my opinion, be targeted elsewhere.

All the work of scanning and cleaning up of text and illustrations was carried out by one individual on a totally volunteer basis. This true of all the HCC “officials” but this particular work load was of a much greater magnitude. If you need to know who, check the first few pages of each book.

Frank Jones
frank.jones@noblefootwear.com
kemosabi
Full Name: Nat Ledbetter

#519 Post by kemosabi »

+1
Many, Many thanks for the effort to make these resources available.
raving_raven

#520 Post by raving_raven »

Thank you Frank Jones for pointing out the work of the compiler.

A special THANK YOU to the compiler. What a huge task and very well done. The Golding and Thornton books look spotless! A real pleasure to read.

I will not name the compiler, as anyone who has not looked into these books really should and can make the discovery for themselves. A tremendous resource.

I bought a copy of the Art of Boot and Shoemaking by Leno from Amazon and the scan accidents/artifacts give an idea of what can happen.
salsa
Full Name: Richard Castellar

#521 Post by salsa »

It's worth remembering that the real work and the hard work was done by Golding and Thornton.
leech77
Full Name: Eric M. Forster

#522 Post by leech77 »

Hi folks,
Been a while since I've been here. A marriage, a move, a car accident, a kidney donation surgery, and a company change has put a bit of a cramp on things Image Anyway, all is well. I wanted to post, and please let me know the proper place to do this or if I'm not allowed to do this, to get rid of a shoe machine. I've just gotten too used to using my patcher for everything, that I don't need my singer post bed any longer. I'll leave it at that for now until I hear whether I'm in trouble or not Image Good day and tight stitches to you all.
-Eric-
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#523 Post by romango »

Eric,

Open Forum -> The Boughton Faire Memorial Bazaar is the place to post your machine.

Remember, no prices allowed. Interested parties may contact you directly to get that info.
Krobin21
Full Name: Robin Kosnas

#524 Post by Krobin21 »

Hi everyone,

I am a total newbie but an enthusiastic one :) (sorry if its not the right topic)
I want to make leather shoes and I figured out in order to achieve this I need a leather stitching machine.
I would like to make cup-soled (soft rubber) boots (or moccassins if you like) with a 4-5mm thick sole and leather upper. The sole is more like a crepe-sole but the edges curled up.

Can anyone suggest the best machine for this intended purpose?

I've been looking at a hand driven Frobana, its seems like an affordable and suitable candidate, but you probably know it better than me.

I'm also wondering if there are other Frobana models or only one? Because in the forums I saw some with a channel cuter knife and others with only teeth. Or it is only a question of changing parts?
Also a lot of people mentioned the size of the holes the needle makes. How big is it actually? And is it possible to feed the machine with anything else than waxed thread? Im thinking about wild colored artificial threads.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Happy Holidays:
Robin
bradharper@mac.com
Full Name: Brad Harper

Adler 30-1 Question

#525 Post by bradharper@mac.com »

Hello Forum

I have been using an Adler 30-1 Patch Machine in my business for over 20 years. I have never been able to find pre-wound bobbins for this machine. Hand winding these bobbins multiple times a day is very time consuming.

Have any of you seen or know where Pre-wound bobbins for this machine could be purchased?

Or is there a source where i could get a batch of custom bobbins made with size 69 nylon thread?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Brad Harper
www.riivo.com