The Gentle Craft

dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: The Gentle Craft

#176 Post by dearbone »

Here is general pattern for the "Carbatina",from a shoes/sandals point of view it is indeed something one forgets wearing and as good as walking bare foot when no sole is added to them, the front centre strip has two holes,not very clear in the picture and you might need to know how to lace the back, I can send you a diagram on how to lace the back if you need it, let me know if you make a pair and happy walking in them in the hills of GenoaImageGood luck to you and welcome again.

1947redhed
Full Name: Georgene Mckim
Been Liked: 1 time

#177 Post by 1947redhed »

I have a set of clicker dies for ghillies. Once upon a time I clicked out a pair which were never constructed. (My feet just cannot function in such an unconstructed style due to too many "issues".) Perhaps the overhead view here will help your patternmaking. Mine are intended to have a sole and I suspect an insole due to the void in the shank area. This is common on commercial shoe dies intended to produce a moccasin constructed style. Sorry, it's in black, the least photo friendly color.
14514.jpg

Georgene
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dearbone

#178 Post by dearbone »

another try,
14516.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kemosabi
Full Name: Nat Ledbetter
Been Liked: 1 time

#179 Post by kemosabi »

It's hard not to admire this ingenious simplicity. Maybe I need to make some for my girls...

Nasser,
Couldn't help but notice the near perfect sole impression on your pattern!

Regards,
-Nat

(Message edited by Kemosabi on March 23, 2012)
dearbone

#180 Post by dearbone »

Nat,

Not a bad arch eh,years of running after a soccer ball could do it, those pressure points tells a lot to the shoe/boot maker, noticed how little contact the foot makes in the middle(waist).

Nasser
dlskidmore
Full Name: Denise Skidmore

#181 Post by dlskidmore »

I was encouraged to try my own pair. I used a geometric method from an SCA site (that I can't find now). I had to cut the tabs shorter around the toe to get them to lay flat. I think if I make these again I'd also make the tabs a bit wider.
14522.jpg

I was surprised how much lace I used. The four yards was supposed to be for two pairs, not one.
simon_brusa
Full Name: Simone Brusa

#182 Post by simon_brusa »

Nasser Thanks for the photo of the model, it is very clear now as it must.
I thought however, make some changes to make it like this photo I found.
14524.jpg

Where are the differences?
The back side of the sandal are two separate parts and then stitched together as in this model:
14525.jpg

The central part is a little different in design but should not be difficult to change.
On the front instead, the plates are only opposed to the overlapping model of your photos.

So I think being able to design the model. In any case, I'll see before I cut the leather.

I wanted to ask what thickness should I use.
I would not like the sandal is too thin then give up.
I wish it was pretty hard.
From the picture I would say it should be 2/2, 5 mm.
What do you think?

Thanks for your attention
Simon
dearbone

#183 Post by dearbone »

Simon,

you are very welcome, Feel free to make any changes you wish,Not much has been done to it since the Greeks, Celts and Romans times,The leather on my sandals above is an Italian tan very dense veg tan,3mm thick,Where you may like some support is on the soles which you can always stitch a sole to the bottom for some hard walking.

Nasser
dlskidmore
Full Name: Denise Skidmore

#184 Post by dlskidmore »

I used a very thin leather, and I think thicker would be better for the part where there were two adjacent holes in the same leather tab.

I like the thin sole with no support. It took me awhile to strengthen my feet for it, but now I would never go back.
simon_brusa
Full Name: Simone Brusa

#185 Post by simon_brusa »

Hello everyone.

I am writing to ask for help in creating the pattern for these sandals.
14582.jpg

I'm still a beginner and find it difficult to build pattern because it is difficult to imagine the shoe in two dimensions.

I do not have to ask people directly because I have learned so far by myself (and thanks to the books and the help of tym!).

So I wanted to ask if anyone had time to help in the construction of these sandals.

My problems arise in the symmetry and the back closure of sandal.

Thank you in advance for the help and hope to write in the appropriate section.
greetings
Simon
damocles
Full Name: Paul Gilbert Baswell

#186 Post by damocles »

this is not unnecessary but if one had a last you could tape it up and draw the pattern sort of on to the last. you would then cut it out and redraw in the exact with of the tabs. you would have all the lengths for all the straps already. it would greatly simplify the process of a good fit. you could use a vary heavy leather wet it then string it up on the last his would give you a more or less perment shaping that mite be more ergonomic in the long run. but really thees are vary simple shoes to make. you only need a knife and maybe a hole punch leather and some cored. if you wanted to add a sole then you will need an awe and a harness needled and some artificial sinu. personally i would add a stitching channel in the sole to make them last longer but that's up to your skill in cutting a sole channels. Simon just go for it whats the worst that could happen you mite have to do more then one but you will have the joy of learning how to make gillies they look complicated but really they are just basic tab constructions think of it as an origami project its the same principle
damocles

#187 Post by damocles »

ok here is my selousion all try to explain this. fist draw your foot stand on a piece of paper draw carefully then take drawing and add a 1/2" around the couture of the foot. this is so you have something on the side of your foot to stop stones from cutting you. then you want to take a measurements across the joint of the foot divide this number in half. this is the length of the tabs across that part of the foot. continue to take measurements at various points were ever there is a tab and dived that number in half. the second drawing in this thread is pretty good ues that as a guide for the placement of the tabs. you will have to just masure to the center point out at the front of the toe box don't forget to subtract just a bit off the ends so you have the openings that run at the top of the foot say about 1/4' on each tab up to the point were you get to the ankle. then i would make the spread wider as you need some bendy room up there. be careful not to get to much bulk were the tabs come together this could cut in to the foot make sure you sand and dress all the edges of the leather. you don't want sharp points rubbing an irritation in to your skin. and lastly use the right leather heavy is good but it needs to have a mellow hand and to be flexible id use some shoulder its vary strong as the fibers are the longest and yet its fairly supple use back for a sole if you decide to put one on. if you need help on cutting a sole channel for the stitches to set in there are many films on YouTube that show how to do this on a regular shoe but its the same thing. there hope that helps
bobcann
Full Name: Robert J. Cannell

#188 Post by bobcann »

Hello All,

This type of sandal has been around for centuries. It is shown in a book by Margrethe Held entitled "Primitive Shoes". The ones that she shows were found in peat bogs in Denmark and date from (if I remember correctly) about 500 a.d. Unfortunately only photos and sketches of the shoes are shown. However, one could enlarge them and adjust to personal preferences. With Paul's comments, I'm going to have to dust off my patterns and try again. Haven't looked at this project for a few years.

Best wishes to all, Robert
damocles

#189 Post by damocles »

good luck Robert. post some pictures when you get your pattern layed out. i think it would help some of the fokes here. this type of shoe is easy to make they could make them on the go or in the field as it were. some were i have a link to a vary extensive on line scan of a book on ancient shoes from prehistoric up threw the 20th century all try and find that i think Simone's pare look vary well constructed and quite authentic
damocles

#190 Post by damocles »

found it this site has every kind of book on shoes that you could ever want to read. many are quite old the English is some what hard to understand. they spoke in a much more artistic way back in those days but i digress. the book on ancient shoes in in the list its a Digital scan. good luck with your historic foot ware project and enjoy every one! its supposed to be fun!
http://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Footwear%22