the Shoemaker as Natural Philosopher

This off topic area is a place where, while you are visiting the Crispin Colloquy, you can talk about beer, whiskey, kilts, the latest WWII re-enactment, BBQ, grandsons, shoes in the media, and even the odd meandering essay on "why we make shoes."
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Re: the Shoemaker as Natural Philosopher

#51 Post by dw »

^Beautiful!!

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

(Message edited by dw on May 20, 2011)
athan_chilton
Full Name: Athan Chilton

#52 Post by athan_chilton »

Thanks! It was actually a lucky shot, not even taken close-up...(Digital cameras are amazing!)
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#53 Post by dearbone »

13719.jpg
13720.jpg
13721.jpg
13722.jpg

I came cross this young and very trusting deer very early this morning on my walk,I took some nice pictures with my other new EOS camara,but don't know how to post pictures with it yet,but anyway as i was watching this deer eat for good 20 minutes or more and as she was moving away from me and into the thick,i saw a little black bird jumped on the deer back and head and was picking something which i don't know what? insects? maybe,All and all it was a good morning,It is as good as coming face to face with god in a cave Image.

Athan,

Those transient beauties and a host of other insects are now being farmed in Holland for human food and not cheap either and i am not joking.

Nasser
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
athan_chilton
Full Name: Athan Chilton

#54 Post by athan_chilton »

No, it is no joke; I've read about how much protein for their size insects contain, and it wouldn't surprise me to hear of them farmed as food. Would I want to include them in my diet out of anything save absolute necessity? That's another story entirely.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#55 Post by dw »

My wife (who planted it) calls this an "Orchid Gladiola".

I've never been able to capture this flower before...it seems to bloom one day and wither the next.

Whatever, it is one of my favourites.
13735.jpg

13736.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dearbone

#56 Post by dearbone »

/image{red tail w baby duck}
/image{red tail}
/image{red tail w breakfast}

Red tail caught a baby duck under the mulberry tree, which the chicks go to every year when the fruits are ripe to eat them. This morning this unfortunate baby duck ended up in the claws of this red rail hawk.
dearbone

#57 Post by dearbone »

13829.jpg
13830.jpg
13831.jpg
dearbone

#58 Post by dearbone »

Some more birds form the my local Don valley,I like the smell of the valley after a night of rain and this is a good time to watch migrating bird making a pit stop at this old bird area,but this morning i was not expecting to see this travelling hawk,i know my local hawks you might say but i think this rare Ferruginous hawk is on route to the US,my field book tells me they winter to the states bordered by the Mississippi river,As i was trying to get a little closer for my point and shoot,it flew low to the water from branch to branch and it looked royal as the name suggest.
15020.jpg
15021.jpg

The Hairy wood pecker is common here,tiny bird and hard to see but the loud whinny song gives him away, in group they produce a nice melody by tapping on wood.
15022.jpg
15023.jpg