sharpening knives

Share secrets, compare techniques, discuss the merits of materials--eg. veg vs. chrome--and above all, seek knowledge.
tomo

Re: sharpening knives

#26 Post by tomo »

Nick,
Are those knives of Marcell's for a lefty to use?
Cheers,
Tomo.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#27 Post by dw »

Tom,

All used with the right hand in a pulling motion towards the body. Usually against glass or marble held against the chest. Marcel has a skiving tutorial posted on his blog that shows this clearly.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
tomo

#28 Post by tomo »

DW thanks for that. Don't know how I missed that one!

I loved the part wher he talks about prefering old tools. I've always told anyone that would listen, that the 'ol boys tools have magic in them, and this magic goes into your work. Some people think I've forgot my meds but it's true.

The more a tool is handled the more magic that goes into it. The same is true with your work. The more you handle it the more magic that goes into it.

If I couldn't find an old tool and I chose to make one then magic would go into that too.

How philosophical is that for a Monday morning!
T.
dw
Seanchaidh

#29 Post by dw »

Tom,

I agree...I think--I haven't got as far as Monday morning.Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#30 Post by dearbone »

TOM,

This must the result of living too close to the oceans,the waters there effect man's thinking,we have here in Canada our west coasters, usually high on the stuff emanating from the ocean which makes them light headed and easy goingImage,i asked my 70 years old Canadian mechanic friend about this,He still uses some of his fathers tools and i possess tools of few dead and living shoe makers, it must be Monday on Mars.
tomo

#31 Post by tomo »

Hey Nasser,
Hahaha. Yup they're called positive ions Image and that mechanic friend of yours is really 102 years old.

T.
dearbone

#32 Post by dearbone »

Tom,

I like your sense of humour.

Nasser
danfreeman
Full Name: Dan Freeman

#33 Post by danfreeman »

I used Tina Skiving knives for years, but found the similarly-shaped Hyde knives better. Gerry Christianson at MacPherson Leather found them for me--I had to buy ten, but they weren't as expensive as German-made tools. Main difference: the blades are thinner. I've found no better knife--will skive the softest leather when sharpened on #400 emery, then stropped. I think that in knives, thinner is better, as long as the blade is stiff enough.
dw
Seanchaidh

#34 Post by dw »

Dan,

How about posting a photo of one of these...or send/sell me one and I'll post the photo.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#35 Post by paul »

I'm interested too Dan.
dw
Seanchaidh

#36 Post by dw »

Paul,

Supposedly MacPhersons's has these in stock and will sell them individually now.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
danfreeman

#37 Post by danfreeman »

Gerry (see above) has been very helpful with some esoteric stuff, but cheaper sources may exist. Going direct to Hyde knives, for example, might work: they have made a lot of good, inexpensive leather-working knives, in the USA for many years. But MacPherson had them at least, and I'm sure they do so can again Ask for the Hyde handle-less curved skiving knife, about 10.5" long . I sold a few at the '09 AGM in Sturbridge, as attending HCC members will recall--Al and Georgene, among others, took one home, and can perhaps offer opinions of the knives' virtues.

It may just be my personal preference, or related to the way I cut leather, or sharpen knives. Some won't like them, some will cut better with different knives. They're best--by far--for me.

I'm sorry I only bought 10, and sold too many already, but call MacPherson Leather.
tomo

#38 Post by tomo »

Thank you Nasser,
How sad would the world be without laughter?

Dan, DW, it's interesting that you like the Hyde knife, I can't get them to hold an edge. The ones I bought here were a general purpose Knife, straight blade with a polished wooden handle. I get them seriously sharp and a bit later the girls are coming to borrow mine because theirs 'won't cut'.

like I mentioned earlier my best knife was a cheap knife with a plain unvarnished boxwood handle. the blade is more flexable then the Hyde and is great for all sorts of work including skiving. Because the blade flexes (it is slightly thinner then the Hyde) you can lower your hand, flex the blade and get a great skive.

I have also been using a blade from a cloth cutter - these things are wickedly sharp!. In light of the pictures of Marcells knives - No.3, I'm going to sharpen one on a curve and see how that works.

For skiving by either pushing, slicing or pulling I also get good results from my round knife, especially when I use it on flat glass. The curved blade/flat surface mimicks a Bell knife skiving machine. The same is true for your straight knife and the curved glass.
It was interesting to see one under the shoe making section in what's his names book on leather tools. I thought they were initially or particular to saddlers. They called them a half moon knife.

Thanks again for your compliment Nasser Image
T.

P.S One thing I came across was a buffing wheel made from discs of light weight leather side by side on a mandrel, they were about 6-8" in diameter and the combined width was about the same as a polishing wheel, maybe 1 1/4". They hone a knife like Sweeny Todd!

(Message edited by Tomo on April 19, 2011)
dw
Seanchaidh

#39 Post by dw »

An update

I called Hyde Tool this morning and talked to them about the knife that Dan mentioned.

It is called a French Curved Blade. It is 10-1/2" long, 1" wide and it is in stock. In fact, it is a regular item although not listed in their catalogue. The item number is S56000.

[Tom, I've never tried this Hyde knife...although I tend to agree with you about most of their knives.]

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
dw
Seanchaidh

#40 Post by dw »

And here's a photo direct from Hyde tools:

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

(Message edited by dw on April 19, 2011)
dw
Seanchaidh

#41 Post by dw »

oops too large...try again:
13591.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dearbone

#42 Post by dearbone »

Tom,Anyone,

I received this knife(one on tile) as gift from a friend many year ago,I hardly use is but it is real sharp on both side,any idea what trade uses a knife like this?

Tom, I am glad you were not offended with my ion commentImage
13598.jpg

Nasser
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cwsaddler
Full Name: Jim Kladder

#43 Post by cwsaddler »

The knife is called a bridle cutters knife. Used in saddle and harness work.
JimK
bjohnsonleather
Full Name: Bruce Johnson

#44 Post by bjohnsonleather »

Nasser, I have dealt on a few of them and the ones I have had are all French made. Some call them a French head knife, Enchacree knife, French bridle knife, or French rein knife.I have had one for a few years that had an "M" and "F" marking with a hammer silhouette between them. Nobody I knew could come up with a maker. Today I bought a French plough gauge marked "Mayer-Flamery" and Paris, so I am thinking I found my knife maker.
dearbone

#45 Post by dearbone »

Jim,Bruce,

Thank you for shedding some light on this knife,the couple that gave it to me bought it while traveling in France,this has one marking and it says,EXTRA and it is embossed in the middle of the knife. thanks again.

Nasser
tomo

#46 Post by tomo »

Hi Nasser yeah the guys are right. The ones I've seen were made by Don Carlos from memory they had Don Carlos and Solingin (steel) stamped on the blade. The handles were very nice, they were black wood (ebony?) with a brass 'spade' set in it.
They also make skiving knives too. I think Abbey have them.

Bruce, nice web site.

T.
danfreeman

#47 Post by danfreeman »

Thanks for the pic, and research, DW. That's the knife. Not fancy, nor everyone's favorite, but mine.
dearbone

#48 Post by dearbone »

Tom,

Now this "Don Carlos",where are they from/made?I remember buying some skiving knives which i still have from them out of Minnesota,USA in the eighties.

Nasser
dearbone

#49 Post by dearbone »

Bruce,

Just took a look through your site,very nice,clean,professional work/Power to your hands.

Nasser
tomo

#50 Post by tomo »

Nasser,
Here is a link to the company profile

http://www.herder-solingen.de/e/profile/inhalt.htm

I notice that the trade mark is registered in the US too but I think they are made in Germany. I seem to remember an Austrian friend of mine saying Solingen is in Austria??? He said the ore comes from this one place. It's a huge mountain that they mine for the ore that goes into the steel. I think Solingen is the town here.
T.