The Gallery

This is a photo gallery for members of the forum. Here you can share photos of your latest work for members to view. Like an Art gallery, however, where the exhibits come and go, photos will be deleted on a regular basis to save room on the server. Beauty, like Art, is fleeting.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Re: The Gallery

#726 Post by dw »

My latest...

Some of you who are going to be in Delavan over the Saint Crispin Day holiday will get to see and critique these. And there's plenty wrong with them. A lot right, too, of course. Just another pit stop along the way.

Alligator and Waterhouse veg calf, one inch heel
11684.jpg

11685.jpg

11686.jpg

11687.jpg

See you all in cheese country.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#727 Post by admin »

May I gently remind everyone that The Gallery is for photos only.

Comments, critiques and observations about those photos belong in Gallery Gossip.

The reason for this is simple...we would like to preserve the photos so that people can see them and learn from them and even admire the work within. If The Gallery gets filled up with commentary, it makes it very difficult to keep photos visible for any length of time and it takes up valuable bandwidth.

Comments tend to be complimentary but perhaps (in the nicest way) a bit spurious and, really, of little archival value. So we purge Gallery Gossip on a regular basis. No harm, no foul.

But it makes extra work for the janitor to have to move commentary out of The Gallery and into Gallery Gossip.

Please help! Image

Emmett
janne_melkersson
Full Name: Jan-Erik Melkersson
Been Liked: 1 time

#728 Post by janne_melkersson »

(Message edited by janne melkersson on October 17, 2010)
janne_melkersson

#729 Post by janne_melkersson »

(Message edited by janne melkersson on October 17, 2010)
janne_melkersson

#730 Post by janne_melkersson »

I am glad to show you the work of one of my students Mr Brian Lowery California. He was with us for four weeks this summer and before that he had made one pair of welted shoes at Carre & Ducker in London and they gave him as you can see a good start into the trade.
11706.jpg

He finnished two pairs and four uppers, copyied most of my patterns and tested lastmaking and pattern making within for weeks. Man, these young Americans where do they get the go from?

Janne
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#731 Post by romango »

more tango shoes ...
11715.jpg

11716.jpg

11717.jpg
dmcharg
Full Name: Duncan McHarg
Been Liked: 21 times

#732 Post by dmcharg »

G'day All,
Finished, a couple of weeks ago, one of the most complicated pairs I have done for about 10 years, for a lady who lives in the district. Took weeks to complete Image
11723.jpg

11724.jpg

2mm veg. cow.

Cheers and all the best for the AGM.
Duncan
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#733 Post by lancepryor »

Here is my most recent finished pair. I brought one of the almost finished shoes to the AGM.

I did a slight beveled waist and fiddelback sole on these, but I have alot of improvement possible on that front.

The outsoles were hand-stitched at 11 SPI.

The last's I made myself in a narrow round toe. This was the first time I've used my gimping attachment -- lots of fun, but improvement is definitely possible there as well.

The leather is a brownish-red (mahogany?) calfskin.
11839.jpg
11840.jpg
11841.jpg
11842.jpg

Lance
j_johansen
Full Name: J Johansen
Been Liked: 2 times

#734 Post by j_johansen »

j_johansen
Full Name: J Johansen
Been Liked: 2 times

#735 Post by j_johansen »

11860.jpg
11861.jpg
romango

#736 Post by romango »

Some tango shoes for a customer with very short wide feet and bunions. Still, I'm very pleased with how they look.

Black leather is veg-tan calf from Waterhouse (no longer available). Green suede is from Brettuns Village. It wasn't advertised as a split but it clearly is. I'm happy with it in this application, never-the-less.
11887.jpg
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time

#737 Post by tjburr »

My wife and I decided to go to a rennaisance festival tomorrow. So last night I decided to make this pair of boots for my son; I couldn't see him wearing tennis shoes Image
11926.jpg

11927.jpg

Terry
ana_santana
Full Name: Ana Luisa Santana

#738 Post by ana_santana »

It's my second time here in Budapest, as a Koronya apprentice.
This is SO hardcore! Not for sensitive souls, but I think I can manage this hungarian monster wearing my very best poker face (my especiality), and a brazilian smile... Image Keeping it up.

12454.jpg
12455.jpg
12456.jpg
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray

#739 Post by jon_g »

Burnishable buffalo shoes. Again I really enjoy working with this leather.
12487.jpg
dw
Seanchaidh

#740 Post by dw »

I'm almost embarrassed to post this--I've posted similar boots too many times in the past. But this style seems to be one of my biggest hits. I think I have two more very like it in the next batch.

Nevertheless, it's the little things that might possibly be interesting...like the close-up of the detailing on the heel and the nails in the toe. Little things, little things.

French calf, 1-5/8" heel.
12502.jpg

12503.jpg

12504.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
dw
Seanchaidh

#741 Post by dw »

One more...
12506.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray

#742 Post by jon_g »

(Message edited by Jon G on December 04, 2010)
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#743 Post by sorrell »

My latest boots...
These are all Hardtke Italian tanned Chocolate kangaroo. The tops have 10 rows of stitching in five colors of brown, graduating from beige to dark chocolate.
12551.jpg
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#744 Post by sorrell »

The tops on these are Hardtke's Finesse kangaroo in Medium Brown. It's a traid construction with a Chocolate elephant foot.
12553.jpg
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#745 Post by dearbone »

A pair of zipper boots made to customer specific order in calf leather.
12561.jpg

Nasser
piper
Full Name: Diane

#746 Post by piper »

I am completely new to making shoes. I have used patterns and instructions from Sharon Raymond's site. After many trial and error attempts I have made two pairs of shoes I am very proud of. They feel great. I have worn them to parties. I have worn them and forgotten they were made by my own hand. They feel great. I am so happy. It is so exciting to make something by hand that seems so mysterious to make.

Rather than pollute your forum with my beginner attempts, here are two links to pictures. I took the pictures before sanding the sole edges with a belt sander. I'm a little afraid of power tools and like to wear them for a day or two before I take the sander to them. I get all my materials except for the soling materials from an industrial scrap store.
Closed-toe sandal moccasins
Moccasin shoes
romango

#747 Post by romango »

Here is a pair of Chelsea boots for my favorite customer (me!). I wanted to test a new pattern design on the upper that has a crimped vamp instead of the usual seam down the middle.

I also wanted to see how the Chelsea looks with welted construction.

I will definitely change the upper pattern so that the middle yoke section extends all the way to the bottom instead of stopping at the top of the heel foxing.

I'll see how I feel about the welt after wearing them a bit.
12573.jpg
romango

#748 Post by romango »

Here is something a little different. My customer came to me with his own design.
12601.jpg

These shoes were a challenge in many ways. After 1 pair of fitters and 2 more pull-overs, we finally settled on the design. All of the white stitching was done by hand. The white leather is off-white suede. Welted construction, hand stitched to a midsole and then glued on a final 1/8" Vibram (type) sole.
12602.jpg

12603.jpg

12604.jpg

12605.jpg

*note: there is very little toe spring, at the customer's request.

(Message edited by romango on December 29, 2010)
athan_chilton
Full Name: Athan Chilton

#749 Post by athan_chilton »

12608.jpg

(apologies for my post of yesterday - totally forgot to downsize my photos & then the computer for some reason posted it not once but twice!! grrrr!)

These are still practice only, hence, raw edges & funky sewing, but I derived the pattern from looking at uppers MM gave me last August. It's the first time I have figured out how derby patterns go together, as opposed to oxfords. It does seem that no matter how many mistakes I make, and there are plenty in these shoes, I still learn something every time. Mostly what I learn is that you can't have too sharp a knife, esp. when it comes to trimming heel pieces...
gshoes
Full Name: Geraldine Rabey

#750 Post by gshoes »

I really hate that these aren't shoesImage, but they are still an allied trade. I do want to share what I am making in leather. My 2 latest purses. A simple chrome tanned purse worn across your chest with a flap covered in reindeer fur. Lift up the flap to reveal the veg tanned carved fish picture. I am not crazing about hand sewing with fur. The 2nd is a hand sewn, lined hobo purse purse made with 4 ounce buffalo.
Geri
12610.jpg
12611.jpg
12612.jpg
12613.jpg
12614.jpg
12615.jpg
12616.jpg