The Registry

Introducing...
dave
Full Name: David Brown

Re: The Registry

#176 Post by dave »

Hi Everyone,

My name is Dave and I live in Santa Cruz,CA. I've been reading posts for almost a year but sent my first message out last night. I have been very impressed with the generous sharing of knowledge that occurs on this list as well as the professionalism of the participants. Your work and comraderie is inspiring.

I'm just a guy in search of a craft and have always been interested in footwear in some way or form. I am entirely unskilled in these arts but really enjoy reading the old technical manuals and searching out the tools at my local flea market. I think my garage is starting to feel like a hand tool museum but it probably looks like a starter kit to most of you! I could read a shoe manual all day and never fall asleep (if I had the time) but I'm really tentative when it comes to the practical application. There is so much to learn and so many steps that it is hard to even know where to begin.

That said, I think this is why I've decided to learn about cordwaining. I'm intrigued by the idea that I could spend decades learning this craft and never know it all. And for me that's the idea. Finding a trade or craft that I can enjoy for the process as much as the outcome.

As for my life stats: Married 11 years, two kids in grade school, local government analyst by trade, background is in Political Science and Public Administration. I'm originally from Endicott NY, home of Endicott Johnson shoes. They made Chuck Taylor-Converse All Stars. Perhaps someday I'll study up on the labor history side of shoemaking. This field has such a rich history.

Thanks for everything to date!

Dave
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#177 Post by admin »

David,

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy. There's definitely a lot of information here. I don't think I exaggerate when I say that a person could almost learn to make shoes from reading CC posts alone. There may even be a few folks here who have done. Of course it may take a bit of reading since there are close to if not in excess of 15,000 posts that have been made here since we began...lo, all those many years ago.

Again, welcome and enjoy...don't be a stranger.

Emmett
large_shoemaker_at_large
Full Name: Brendan Balon
Been Liked: 1 time

#178 Post by large_shoemaker_at_large »

Hi Dave
Welcome to this little bit of heaven. The CC is about the best site I have seen. Period> we work in relative isolation but this venue is a technological world shrinker. Espcially with digital cams

If you ever want a good excuse to come up to Canada and learn to Cobble in the Qu'Appelle Valley in SK. I shall share what I know.
even fishing!
Regards
Brendan
jesselee
Full Name: Jesse Lee Cantrell

#179 Post by jesselee »

hey Dave, welcome aboard, so much here to learn, even for an old timer like me. These days we share information so the Trade don't die out on us. So get them hand tools out and find a set of lasts and find what style ya want to make and get to it. More than enough advice here to start you off.

JesseLee
aaronhirsch

#180 Post by aaronhirsch »

Hi All,

My name is Aaron and I'm in Washington, DC. I've been interested in men's shoes for as long as I can remember. A shoe purchase has always been an important one for me.

I've felt an itch for a long time to make things with my hands. I feel that learning the art of cordwaining is right up my alley. There's something appealing about a craft that can take years to learn how to do right. I am interested in learning the craft as a hobby and not as a source of income. I'm interested in contemporary European shoe styles for men and women (like Berluti). I am an absolute beginner with a knack for working with my hands.

I've done some research and I haven't found much. I'm in Washington, DC and I have not found any cordwaining schools in my area. I'm also a bit confused as to where to start. I'd guess that besides going to a school, the next best thing is to get a book and/or videos. I was thinking that Tim Skyrme's book might be right. Any opinions? Also, it would be helpful if someone could direct me to a list of tools, materials and supplies that every beginner should have. It would also be helpful to get an idea about how much this will cost.

Thanks for any advice that you can provide.

Aaron
relferink

#181 Post by relferink »

Aaron,

Welcome to the Colloquy. You are not alone in wanting to pursuit the gentle craft. It's not as easy as it may seem from the outside looking in, not for the faint of hart but once you master some of the skills it is very rewarding.

Tim's book is a good place to start picking up some of the basic skills. You'll need some hand tools, a set of lasts, preferable in your size and probably a sewing machine to begin with. If you know what to look for it can be found on E-bay for a couple hundred dollars. Tim's book has a comprehensive list of tools in the book. It can guide you through what you need to start.

Hope this answers some of your questions and know that you can always ask the good folks here for help and advise.

Rob
admin
Site Admin

#182 Post by admin »

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy, Aaron.

I second Rob's praise of Tim's book. It is a good place to start. there are, however, any number of books available...from the historical stuff (which is still very valid) like Golding's series, to Koleff and Sharpe and Patrick. Some are strictly pattern books but patterning is at least half the battle and the more guidance you can get on the various styles the deeper your knowledge becomes.

Then too there are some real bona fide experts on this forum and although they don't always agree (heaven forbid that they should...I'm serious) they are all pretty forthcoming and all bring something new and uniquely tasty to the table. So just keep reading. It has been said that a determined student can learn all they need to know to make a shoe or boot right here on this forum. I think it is probably true, although it surely takes some patience, some engagement and some digging. With close to 10,000 posts in this iteration you've got a lot of reading to draw from.

But don't hesitate to ask questions. The questions are what bring out the experts--in truth there are no answers without questions.

Enjoy...

Emmett
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#183 Post by paul »

Aaron,

I'll repeat the welcome and Rob's words that learning shoe making is not for the faint of heart. But there's character developement in that.

I concur about Tim's book. And I believe there will be lots of good stuff in Frank Jones' book as well. I just haven't seen the revised version yet. Looking at the videos posted will give you an idea of just how to hold your mouth. Furthermore, learning to use the search feature will bring up answers to those questions you don't want to wait for.

Good luck and persevere!

Paul
j_johansen
Full Name: J Johansen
Been Liked: 2 times

#184 Post by j_johansen »

Aaron,
If you get to the point of feeling motivated enough, consider a class from someone who is a maker, or even just a road trip to see someone making shoes or boots. There is no substitute for seeing someone practice the craft firsthand. A bit cliche, but true "monkey see, monkey do!".....J.
dibadiba

#185 Post by dibadiba »

Hey everyone.
I'm Andrew, I'm 19 years old and a university student in BC canada. I've been into leathercrafting for the better part of this year and have been selling some of my stuff online. I've been wanting to venture into making shoes for a while and have done some reading, but the task still seems pretty daunting. It doesn't look like there's any shoecrafting 'schools' around here that would teach how to begin, nor do I even know of any local bespoke shoemakers, so I think at this point I'm just going to be trying to find some instructional videos to get me going in the right direction!
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#186 Post by romango »

Andrew,

Welcome. Alan Zerobnicks Shoe School is in Port Townsend Washington. Not too far from you. www.shoeschool.com. This is where I started out and I'm still making shoes 3 years later.
dibadiba

#187 Post by dibadiba »

Thanks Rick. It really isn't practical for me at this point since life is very busy now, but I'll bookmark that and will hopefully take a trip down there when I have some free time! Thanks for the link
marcell

#188 Post by marcell »

gshoes
Full Name: Geraldine Rabey

#189 Post by gshoes »

Andrew,

I can tell you that life just keeps getting busier. I attended the Shoeschool in Washington State along with Rick. In my opinion, there is no substitute for the hands on training that you receive in the one week class with Allen. It will give you a great start. Without a real person in front of you, making shoes, it is like reading in the dark.

Geri
admin
Site Admin

#190 Post by admin »

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy, Andrew.

This is a pretty good spot to start, end, and everything in between.

There are a number of videos on the Crispin Colloquy, most of them in "Open Forum" > "Techninques, Crans and Visualizations" > "Videos" but there's also quite a few scattered about in other threads which demonstrate a particular technique.

I have even been informed of a person or two who learned enough and began making shoes just from reading the forum. But no matter what you do, or where you go, it has been my experience that almost none of it will be enough.

Any really good start will...ought to...leave you with the realization that what you have learned...what you know...is incomplete.

Emmett
paul

#191 Post by paul »

Welcome Andrew! I concurr with Emmett.

In addition to being a long time
reader/participant on this forum, and even with all my years of shoe repair experience, study of four instructiuon books on boot making and a three week seminar, all added to the past nine years or so of steady makin', I still feel like there is still an ocean of info waiting to learn and be incorporated.

But man, what a journey! This is how you build a life.

Paul
bill_t
Full Name: William Tuttle

#192 Post by bill_t »

Hi everyone. I’m entirely new to all of this, and not quite sure where to start. My interest in shoemaking grows from strangely shaped feet that I am still unable to fit into any mass produced shoes by age 51. I’ve reached the point where I’m getting desperate for a pair of simple, solid walking shoes that fit. In addition to filling my own footwear needs, I’d like to learn a new craft to work at if I ever get a chance to retire.

I don’t have any leather working experience at all. I am good with my hands, and have a good ability to design and think three dimensionally. I happened upon the Colloquy only recently, and have seen a couple of books and CD sets mentioned, particularly Tim Skyrme's book. How do I get a copy? I looked on-line and was unable to find it.

Like others, I would love to start by watching and learning in person from someone with some experience. Does anyone know of any place or anyone around Boston, or somewhere in New England where I can either take a class, or just hang out and watch for a while?

Bill
admin
Site Admin

#193 Post by admin »

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy Bill!

As you may have noticed thee are well over 10,000 posts currently on the CC. We've been up and running for over ten years...which is a very long time on the 'Net.

So, the forum may be the best place to start. I have heard rumors that several folks who are members and in much the same frame of mind as yourself...and for much the same reasons...actually learned and made satisfactory shoes simply by combing through the archives and asking questions.

There are books online, as well as videos both here on the forum and through the HCC library, and someone will, I'm sure contact you about where to get a copy of Tim Skyme's book or the newly re-written Pattern Cutting, Step-by-Step Patterns for Footwear” by Michael Sharpe.

That said, the two (and soon to be three) volumes of Golding's eight volume set on the HCC homepage are available for free download and are quite comprehensive, when you come right down to it.

It's a journey, but you can always ask directions at the crossroads of "Techniques..." and "Sources..." Image

Emmett
marcell

#194 Post by marcell »

or contact directly to TIm, who is a very nice guy, and you can easily buy a book from him.

Have a nice journey in the world of shoes!

Marcell
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#195 Post by lancepryor »

Bill:

Welcome to the HCC.

I live in Providence and would more than happy to have you visit, chat about shoemaking and various shoemaking resources, and show you what I do. Please note, however, that I am far from an expert, just someone trying to learn and improve with every pair that I make. There are a couple of people somewhat near Boston who are true shoemakers and who might be able to help as well; Rob Elferink lives near Boston, and Dan Freeman is in Middlebury, Vermont.

If you're interested, you can send me an e-mail.

Also, if you start reading the Colloquy and find it valuable, I would also advise you to get a copy of the Colloquy Archive CD that has older posts that are no longer available on-line.

Lance
relferink

#196 Post by relferink »

HI Bill,

Welcome to the Colloquy. As Emmett suggested this website is all you need, lots of information in the archive and plenty of people to help if you still have questions. It can be overwhelming at first when you may not be sure where to get started. There are some good books to help you with that as well. Sounds like you're interested in making shoes over boots, Tim Skyrme's Bespoke Shoemaking Book is a good starting point covering all the elements of shoemaking. Walrus Shoe sells it in the US. The Patten Cutters Handbook is, as the title suggests more focused on pattern cutting but also very useful. It's recently been re-written by Frank Jones. The authors of both books participate on the Colloquy. Contact them for details on how to obtain a copy. I believe that Tim is currently on holiday in case you don't hear back right away.

As Lance has already mentioned I'm in the Boston area. I don't offer any type of classes but be happy to assist to get you started in the right direction. Send me a private email if you are interested (just click on the link to my name in top of this post). Sharon Raymond is in MA and she offers classes. Find her website at simpleshoemaking.com. She also has a book out on handmade shoes. It's on her website as well. I don't know of anyone else in New England who offers classes but there may well be others I'm not familiar with.

Hopes this helps you getting started. Keep us posted on your progress. I'm always intrigued how people get started and learn the gentle craft.

Rob
paul

#197 Post by paul »

Welcome Bill,

Great advice here. And it sounds like there's a lot more or less local to you.

I'd like to offer a perspective. Rather than look for someone to teach you how to make, rather, look for help in how to learn.

We have so much available to us online, and now much more for us in books/tutorials, that we are much more able to be "self taught".

Good luck and enjoy the journey.
Like anything, the more you participate the more you'll receive.

Paul
bill_t
Full Name: William Tuttle

#198 Post by bill_t »

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement. Now it's time for some reading, watching of videos, and getting together with Rob, who is very close by. I can't wait to get started.

Bill
ken_hamilton

#199 Post by ken_hamilton »

Hi Everyone.
my name is kenneth hamilton from London england i've been at it all my life apart from a small spell with the colours, i am one of Frank Joneses boys from the Rawtenstall college days(hi frank if your reading this please make contact)or if anyone knows Frank Jones please ask him to say hello
this is my first message as i am just registered and i am looking f/ward to speaking with you all in due course. but for now i have a couple of things to put 'out there'. i seek manual for a Jupiter outsole machine,a Pederson, any sugestions?
does anyone know a lady shoemaker named anthea who used to make stage shoes and traded as 'Theacadabra' thanks Kenneth
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#200 Post by dearbone »

Hi Kenneth,

Welcome to the colloquy, we know Frank really well, some of us just spent the Crispin weekend with him in Guthrie OK, you are lucky to know such a man, he indeed knows a lot about the the industry.

Nasser