The Screening Room

Videos of ordinary people demonstrating actual boot and shoemaking techniques without being controlled by a director.
firefly

Re: The Screening Room

#26 Post by firefly »

Hey Chuck,

Isn't that the truth. These guys make it look so easy.

Mark
artzend
Full Name: Tim Skyrme
Been Liked: 2 times

#27 Post by artzend »

Mark and Paul etc,

I will start part two today or tomorrow. It shouldn't take me as long as the first one did.

Chuck, you don't need to wrestle with the pliers. I used to and after a couple of years it suddenly got easier. When I started teaching I was forced to figure out what I actually was doing with them that was different from before when I struggled.

Glad you guys liked it.

Tim
shoestring

#28 Post by shoestring »

Tim,

I will most certainly use that method ,thanks for the lesson.That's one problem solved now I have 99 million more to go.

Ed
artzend

#29 Post by artzend »

Ed,

This was the simplest method I found/was taught. I have modified it a bit to make sense of it, but if the forepart is set right, and right on the mark of your lasting allowance, then when you pull the back down, it is sort of like using a machine to last in that everything is fixed in place. This means that you are not so likely to have to work hard at getting vamps to look the same, or mudguards to sit right. I also means that you don't need to guess at how much to pull forward, which is something I always had a problem with too.

If you then leave that shoe and go on to do the other one, it gets time for the leather to stretch and settle into place.

Tim
j1a2g3

#30 Post by j1a2g3 »

Tim

Just got your book. I am excited to read it now that I saw you at work.

Barefeet!!! Made me smile. Joel
artzend

#31 Post by artzend »

Joel,

I wondered if anyone would notice that. I always work barefeet and some people think it's a gimmick but I never liked wearing shoes much.

Hope you like the book.

Tim
shoestring

#32 Post by shoestring »

DW,

Very instructional another method to employ in this never ending but yet enjoyable craft.I continue to look forward to each one thanks.

Ed
djulan
Full Name: David Ulan

#33 Post by djulan »

Tim, DW and all contributers. You must have imagined that if we could each look over the other's (shoe/bootmakers) shoulders for 5, 10, 15 minutes, the wealth of "lost" technique that would be recovered (or reconstituted and documented) in our trades. My hat's off to you for your efforts and more importantly what you've shared with us and future hand shoemakers. THANKS! I hope I can contribute as much sometime - if I can figure out and marry the technologies of yesterday (shoemaking) with today's (computers).

Thankfully and sincerely,

David

P.S. Tim, barefoot is meritorious, but I drop too many tacks to let you do that in my shop, and you have a warm invitation to visit anytime.
artzend

#34 Post by artzend »

David,

I got into doing video when writing my book (Bespoke Shoemaking) and utilised the way it could allow me to show what I was doing. That led me in lots of new directions, and as I have documented all the stages in the book, will probably only have to add the next two little videos for you to understand how I teach and maybe gain a bit more from my book.

Like DW and others, I don't want to let the skills I have accumulated just fade away with me. Not everyone is going to spend as much time on a computer as I do so the written word, hopefully will allow everyone to follow the lessons.

As to tacks, I used to tack last all the time and they are not a problem, I have very hard feet. It is only the ones stuck in carpet that I had problems with.

At this stage you are a bit too far away to have to put up with a visit from me, but who knows...

Tim
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#35 Post by paul »

DW,

I just wanted to acknowledge the effort you and Rick put into these last videos. Thank you.

I just did a set of waxed ends last week without refering to my instructions and it all came out well.

I have yet to take a hand at the wrapped method, but I will. And I'll see if my fingers can do the rolling.

PK
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#36 Post by dw »

Tim,

Another Oscar for you!

It just doesn't get any better than this folks...when I think of the resources that the Crispin Colloquy has made available to people wanting to learn; when I think of all the ways generous members like Tim and Robert and Jake have pioneered to make information and knowledge and methods available--knowledge that for generations has been kept covered up or kept secret--I am just flabbergasted. It takes time, it takes energy, it takes planning and resources...it takes life-energy...nowhere else will you find the depth, the range, the fine detail.

Thank you Tim, Thanks to all.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
firefly

#37 Post by firefly »

Guys that was impressive. Ya'll better watch out because soon enough I'm going to have the full length feature film and me and Mr. Scorsese are going to relaese it. Brad Pitt, Anthony Hopkins and I'll even figure a way to get Angelina in there.

Seriously...You guys don't have to do this and that's what makes it so special. The footprints that you guys are leaving will fossilize forever to be unearthed by those who seek to find what is so great about this craft.

Thanks...that's all I can say...Thanks

Mark
j1a2g3

#38 Post by j1a2g3 »

I feel likes it's Christmas in July.

6 videos, two books, leather from Horween and beautiful tools from Minke.

But the videos are the best presents of all.

Great stuff, going to go see if I can split that bristle easier now that I saw DW do it.

Thanks DW and Tim for sharing your knowledge, Joel
dw
Seanchaidh

#39 Post by dw »

Tim,

A question, please...What are you using for your "puff?" Leather obviously, but is it a veg tan and what is the weight?

And a follow-up if I may...Image...What is the cement/glue you are using on the underside of the puff?

I watched it again, just now. Dern! It really is good. Image Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
artzend

#40 Post by artzend »

DW,

The leather is belly and is veg tanned. The paste is a mixture of wallpaper paste with PVA woodworking glue added for extra bonding.

I only use contact adhesive to bond the upper/lining and insole together.

The next and last one should be done later today or tomorrow.

Tim
amuckart
Full Name: Alasdair Muckart
Been Liked: 5 times

#41 Post by amuckart »

Thank you so much DW and Tim for those videos, they're a huge help.

DW, I don't know if this was my player being weird of if it's something in the video but the segment where you anchor and wax the thread is repeated.

I'd really like to point some people who won't read the colloquy at the moment to these videos because they are so much better than I can get the techniques across remotely. I haven't yet because I'm conscious of the bandwith this could use up. Have you thought of putting these up on google video?
artzend

#42 Post by artzend »

Alasdair,

I probably will put mine up on youtube a bit later but still have one to go and want to make them all into mp4 files too so they can go on a player that you wouldn't mind taking into the workshop.

Tim
dw
Seanchaidh

#43 Post by dw »

Alasdair,

Which of the videos was the repeat in?

As far as Youtube is concerned, we had a Youtube account before Youtube got really popular and I posted several messages that videos could be viewed there. But as far as I know, no one bothered because there was a "join this group" option and the only person who ever tried was a foot fetishist or some other kinky individual who wasn't really interested in making shoes.

Bandwidth on this end is no problem now (it was before the CC moved) but it might be on your end.

The real problem with Youtube and Google Video, etc., is that their bandwidth is limited and the picture size is very small (not good for seeing those critcal details) and there are filesize limits, as well. We have size limits too but we can be more flexible than Youtube if the material warrants it.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#44 Post by paul »

Tim,

I just spent a few moments watching your lasting video. Wow! What a demonstration of your style and technique.

And I really like the production of it. Lighting and music are wonderful. Your delivery is easy and your volume is just right.

What a privledge we all have to be here to receive your gifts.

Thank you, I can't wait for more.

Paul
shoestring

#45 Post by shoestring »

I have always understood the mind is a terrbile thing to waste,these vidoes are proof and to add to the addage the sharing of knowledge is power of wisdom. These lessons are priceless.And just to think a shoe maker told me I could and never would learn this craft.Reason being he held his knowledge locked in his heart.A big hardy thank you for everything that you have given and every an anything to come.

Ed
amuckart
Full Name: Alasdair Muckart
Been Liked: 5 times

#46 Post by amuckart »

DW, I downloaded the "waxing the taw and thread" video again, and it had no repeat, it must have been an oddity of my player or download manager doing wierd things the first time 'round.

Thanks.
dw
Seanchaidh

#47 Post by dw »

Alasdair,

Phew! Thanks for getting back to me on that. I just got my new camera and am just beginning to dig into the manual so I wasn't looking forward to going in and searching out an errant section.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
relferink

#48 Post by relferink »

Bill, I feel kind of stupid but I can't find that program on your site. Am I just not seeing it or what? Looks like a great selection tool. Wish the video had some sound. Are the numbers you plug in metric?

Thanks
Rob
dw
Seanchaidh

#49 Post by dw »

Robert,

Glad to see you back!

Bill will have a little longer version with audio sometime in the near (?) future. Why the method is not up on his site I cannot answer. The video was posted based on the idea that users would be able to take advantage immediately. At least that was the understanding. Perhaps some technical glitch has delayed implementation.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
relferink

#50 Post by relferink »

Thanks DW, I never really left, just got busy trying to make a living. Don't you hate it when that gets in the way of life?Image
I'm looking forward to checking out the tool. How nice to find a way to see the differentials from the measurements for each measurement and be able to go through all off Bill's virtual lasts.
DW, you're doing really well in your new position as assistant resident lastmaker.Image

Rob