Tools to Make

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
tomo

Re: Tools to Make

#26 Post by tomo »

Al, the Aluminium won't take a tack, so did you tack hold the upper leather to the buildups you'd cemented on, while they dried?

Did you buy a pair of Mallory's or do you just do one at a time? If you wanted a left and right calf, you'd need to redo the buildups each time, or are they made symetrical?

I was thinking about the cost as our exchange rate is heading south, and I'd need to double the cost to cover the exchange rate and freight etc.

More power to y'awl.
T.
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#27 Post by das »

Tom,

I used a pair of Mallory's--in fact I think they only come in pairs--two symmetrical trees. I used Barge all-purpose cement to stick on each successive layer, and no tacks needed. I happened to have fleshings saved, split off in 6" strips from ranges of sole bend I've reduced, so I used those, one at a time. Any firm 5-6oz. veg-leather (bellies?) ought to do ya. Built both up to an anatomical "bulge", then stood at the sander and sculpted them as left and rights to the Peal shape.

The nice thing about the Mallory adjuster, you can crank it out just at the top (calf), or shove the handle in and crank out just the bottom (ankle)--very convenient. They aren't cheap, new, but still cheaper and far more versatile than old fashioned wooden ones. Opps, did I--the old traditionalist--just say that? *Ahem* Well, nothing quite beats the old wooden ones of course, if you can get them, but you'd need three or four pairs in 3 or 4 sizes just to cover what one Mallory will crank out to Image
tomo

#28 Post by tomo »

Al,
I'll take your advice and go with the mallory's even if it's flying in the face of tradition. I could justify it by thinking about all the trees that won't be cut down, - sorry it's the best I can do.

I found some Mallory's at this place,
http://www.peasandcornco.com/index.htm
and they seem more user friendly. do you know anything about these guys?

I think you only buy one, if you need two you have to order two, ie they don't come in pairs, same with heeling touch I think.Image

DW, I try to use the emoticons to lessen the chance someone might misunderstand my meaning, usually I try to be funny, but sometimes it can come up short, especially if you're working across cultures. I think your earlier post was very apropriate.

More power to y'awl

T.
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#29 Post by das »

Tom,

I think you'll like the Mallory stretchers for that purpose. I bought directly from Malloy, so check and see if they have a website someplace.

I just lost a pair of no-name English riding boot trees I was bidding on on Ebay for $50, so the old ones are out there, you just have to hunt for them. If you can get a reply to your email, try asking Horace Batten http://www.horacebatten.co.uk/ about "fitting trees" in the "Peal shape", but save your pennies lad Image
tomo

#30 Post by tomo »

Al,

I had a look at the Batten website, very interesting (wish there were more picturesImage). It was interesting to see the guy closing in the back of the boot, he was holding the work in a saddler's clam, we use that type here, while in the US most people seem to prefer the sit on type. I would say that the backstay will be sewn on a machine though.

More power to y'awl.

T.
j1a2g3

#31 Post by j1a2g3 »

Dw
I am trying to make a WELT TICKLER as discribed in "Western Bootmaking". I just don't see what you mean or how the tool is suppose to look in the end. I've bent the bolt and put a handle on the one end. But, here is were I'm lost. Is the bolt's threads suppose to mark the little grooves in the welt? If not how is it used then? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Joel
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#32 Post by dw »

Joel,

The link below should take you to a post on April 4, 2004 that shows two welt ticklers (technically called "stitch pricks" ). One is an old manufactured tool and the other is one I made--just as described in the book.

Hope this helps...

welt tickler/stitch prick

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
chuck_deats

#33 Post by chuck_deats »

Joel,

For what it is worth, a big old blade screwdriver, ground to shape, makes a fine welt tickler. This is probably the screwdriver that you or your kids tried to use as a cold chisel or a pry bar. If it is too long, cut it off (abrasive wheel) and stick it in a file handle or something similar. It is amazing how often you will reach for this thing. Guess it is my version of a creaser.

Chuck
j1a2g3

#34 Post by j1a2g3 »

Since nothing is going on right now (waiting for my teklon thread and waxes)I thought, I'd post a picture of my LAPJACK I made.

I used a old handle I had and some reducing values and couplings and a 1/2' by 2" pipe which I filed down so the last would slide in and out easier.
4660.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
relferink

#35 Post by relferink »

Overdue but here are some pictures of the home build foot impression box.
It's in response to a question posted in the looking for.... thread but I thought it would be better in the tools section. Admin feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
It's just a box with 2 shelfs inside if you will and a rubber bladder over the top. (Sorry, no good picture of that, forgot that part. Image )
4683.jpg

The view inside the box, see the track and shelf for the boards.
4684.jpg

This picture shows the layers, on the bottom I keep my paper. On top of that a board with sponge rubber impregnated with ink.
4685.jpg

The next board has a roller at the end. When it's inserted the roller “picks up” the ink from the sponge rubber and rubs it against the top rubber bladder (the back side of course.)
4686.jpg

and a better view of the roller.
4687.jpg

Next you slide a paper in the top slot, put the customers foot on the imprint box, trace with the build in stylus and your done.

Rob

(Message edited by relferink on January 18, 2007)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tomo

#36 Post by tomo »

Rob,

That's pretty darn sophisticated for a country job, I think you've got way too much time on your hands, but I'm liking it. Image

How do you hold the rubber membrane to the frame without it tearing?
When the customer steps on the rubber then paper is their weight bourne on the ply with the roller on it?

More power to y'awl.
T.
shoestring

#37 Post by shoestring »

Robert,
That's a bit high tech for my wood working skills it would serve me best to save for a purchase.It's a mighty fine job you did an thanks for the post.

Ed
dw
Seanchaidh

#38 Post by dw »

Robert,

I've been known to turn a little wood now and again, but I'd be hard pressed to make something as nice as you have in your impression box. Very nice!

I'd be willing to buy something on that order, however. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
rocketman

#39 Post by rocketman »

Ok, Here it goes. These are photos of the copy machine that I have assembled. It was built using recycled junk from my garage and anywhere else I could scrounge. I did end up at Tractor Supply to get a couple of sprockets though. The first two photos show it configured for a one to one copy. I have a plaster cast of my wife's foot mounted and a block of junk pine to cut.
4702.jpg
4703.jpg

The second two are the machine configured for mirror image copy so that I can make a left from a right or vise versa.
4704.jpg
4705.jpg

It's not fancy and no computers were harmed in it's creation or use. I'll play with it this weekend and see what happens. It should be good humor. Lyle
dw
Seanchaidh

#40 Post by dw »

Lyle,

Very interesting. I will be eager to see the results of your ingenuity.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
djulan
Full Name: David Ulan

#41 Post by djulan »

Lyle,

Your pics and efforts are great to follow.

I almost bought a gunstock copying lathe a few years ago for copying lasts, but realized it was not quite the answer. But, your project is really interesting. Please post results of your experiments when available.

Thanks,

David Ulan
tomo

#42 Post by tomo »

Lyle you got me thinking about the Router Lathe down in the workshop.I've got to replace the tree in an old Stock saddle and I wasn't looking forward to doing it the old way with a Draw knife.
I came on this site for copying lasts and other footwear stuff for what it's worth. More grist to the mill I guess.

http://pullover.blogspot.com/2005/07/how-to-make-last-part-1.html

More power to y'awl.
T.
Ps I can't imagine ANYONE going to all that trouble just for a bit of humor. Good luckImage
rocketman

#43 Post by rocketman »

The First try at a copy. This is a one to one of my wife's platster cast. This came out better than I expected for a first try. The first photo is the top cut. I then rotate both the model and blank 90deg. I do this to all four sides. I then show the rough next to the model and last the sanded copy next to the real thing. My wife is being very patient!I think she thinks she is going to get a pair of boots out of this. Cutting out of pine is, well.. not optimum. I will try some recycled redwood next until I get better and then try something expensive like maple. I'll glue up another blank tonight and try the right to left tomorrow.
4707.jpg
4708.jpg
4709.jpg
4710.jpg
dw
Seanchaidh

#44 Post by dw »

Lyle,

Wow! That looks good! I'd guess that if you went to a hardwood, such as maple, your results would be even better.

Don't forget to add a "toe box" to your plaster model before you try to make a shoe. Image Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#45 Post by paul »

Lyle,

That does look good! I'm impressed.
And the finished product would make great bookends, between shoemakin' times.

You've got yourself quite a tool there friend.

PK
rocketman

#46 Post by rocketman »

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. By the way, why would you suck on a New Zealand sweet potato? (Kumara?) I unfortunatly will be down for a few days while I look for a new router motor. My 1984 Sears 15$ one was cutting through the redwood like butter when ..uh... the bearings stopped performing nominally. As soon as I get new appropriations passed through the house that is. (Power of the pocketbook) More to follow, Lyle
tomo

#47 Post by tomo »

Hey Lyle,
When you put it like that it doesn't seem to have the same effect. I think it was Plato who said that if you analised a joke it was no longer funny.Image
Sucking a Kumara's like, well, you wouldn't want to. It's a derivation of "It sucks" and here you'd apply it if you were saying something had died (as in your Router) or someone was upset at what you said, ie "He sucked a Kumara when I said I was quitting..." The Aussies would say "he spat the dummy."

Must be the Colonial boy coming out in meImage
More power to y'awl
T.
kaspar
Full Name: Kaspar
Been Liked: 2 times

#48 Post by kaspar »

Hi Lyle
That`s an impressive tool! And assembling such thing Yourself....well Image

How long does it copy and cut one last?

Cheers
Kaspar
rocketman

#49 Post by rocketman »

Privyet Kaspar,
Ve gavarish Parusskie? Ya gavarite milenkie y tosha ocheen ploka! But your English is better than my Russian and I don't know any Estonian. Don't be affended that I am assuming that you were forced to learn Russian, you may be young enough not to have suffered through that.
First your shoes are amazing that you posted. Don't stop experimenting. My wife and I especially like your find, were they Kasak, tall boots!
To answer your question, the first and only model was cut in 2 hours. Keep in mind, that was the first trial run and it was with pine. I started my second trial run with some redwood and I was cutting much faster and cleaner when my router motor's internal fan came apart and destroyed the motor. I thought it was the bearings but a postmortem proved much worse. I have a Milwalkee motor on order and will upgrade the machine this weekend. I estimate that the machining process will take less than two hours if I go to hardwood and take my time but we will see. Sanding will take as long as you want to spend. I spent maybe 5 minutes with a pnuematic drum sander on the one in the photos. The machine is set up to cut the last .030 inch (~0.8mm) oversize to give some sanding "meat" and to compensate for the runout(wobble) in the router motor. More to follow. Lyle
kaspar
Full Name: Kaspar
Been Liked: 2 times

#50 Post by kaspar »

Nu privjet Lyle.
Gde Tõ utšilis Russki jasõk? I am not offended. I am not in that generation who suffered from Soviet Russian regime and also most of the young people today don`t know not much about it.
Thank for Your kind words. The boots are folk(traditional) dancing boots from Belorussia...well at least that`s what the seller claimed.
Eagerly looking forward more results with that copying machine of Yours.
All the best
K.