Tools and equipment for sale

Looking for a particular tool? Got tools or goods you want to exchange? Maybe you want to set up a consortium for an order to Barnsley or Bakers...there's a booth at the Faire. One caveat applies...pricing and price negotiations must take place in private email.
Anonymous

Tools and equipment for sale

#1 Post by Anonymous »

Oh,what pope or president was a shoemaker?
Anonymous

Re: Tools and equipment for sale

#2 Post by Anonymous »

And what glorious history? It’s all anecdotal stories isn’t it?
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#3 Post by das »

Anonymous,

==============
"Oh,what pope or president was a shoemaker? And what glorious history? It's all anecdotal stories isn't it?"
==============

Are you genuinely interested in what might be cited, or are you just trying to be depreciatory?

If it's the former, start with 'Lives of Illustrious Shoemakers' by W. E., Winks (NY,1882), and 'The Romance of the Shoe' by Thomas Wright (London, 1922) on ILL from your local library. There's some apocryphal fluff in these works, true, but the basics have proved pretty reliable. It's not "all anecdotal". If you really want more citations, I'll dig out additional. Or, you can see if the shoe-related bibliography from Northamptonshire County Library,UK is on-line, and ferret for yourself.

Perhaps I was thinking of the shoemakers: Annaniaus (AD 62-86), Bishop of Alexandria, and Alexander, Bishop of Comona (2nd. c. AD), but I recall there was one Pope in there too. John Quincy Adams' father was a "cordwainer" and "cordwainer/farmer" (Note: not shoemaker)--I've held and read his papers signed thusly. So, okay a president's *father*--but U.S. Grant (a tanner), had Henry Wilson for VP in 1872. Wilson was a shoe manufacturer from Natick, MA.

Then there are other shoemaker-cum-luminaries, such as Hans Sachs, and even US poet John Greenleaf Whittier, et al. Point is, with a trade as old and numerous as ours, it only goes to figure we'd have more of everybody--notables and scoundrels alike. But, there're enough role-models right there to inspire anybody who might be suffering from the delusion that shoemaking has never produced anybody of any notoriety to contemplate. Even in more recent times, think of the founder of Nike, who started making shoes out in his garage.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#4 Post by dw »

Anon,

I'm no historian (as I've said many, many times) so I'm doubly glad that my esteemed colleague offered you a fairly complete synopsis.

To add my two cents worth, I might point out that shoemaking, as a Trade--a pursuit/endeavour engaged in by skilled and dedicated individuals--goes back reliably over 9000 years (the Fort Rock artifacts) and I think I heard something on the radio or read something on the Science Daily site to the effect that that has now been pushed back to 11,000 years.

Up until about 1860, the shoemaking industry--shoemakers and allied trades--employed more skilled workers than any other industry in the United States and was second only to agriculture for overall employment. And that predominence, in one form or another, continued right up to the turn of the 20th century.

Assuming your questions were asked in good faith, I would suggest that you start with Wright's Romance of the Shoe. It is an easy read, sometimes humourous, and encompasses a broad swath of history...which gives you an overview.

In passing, I might point out that there are few Trades in our modern world that have as long and illustrious a history as shoemaking (a great deal of it recorded and verifiable)...how many insurance salesmen, or computer geeks...factory workers, taxi drivers,etc....do you know who can trace the roots of their careers/lives back 9,000 years and claim not one but two (maybe even more ) patron saints as benefactors? Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC

http://www.bootmaker.com
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#5 Post by dw »

Al,

You remembered correctly (I thought I remembered that fact, too, so I check in Wright)...in 1261, Jacques Pantaleon, son of a shoemakr became Pope Urban IV and in 1316 Pope John XXII ascended to the Holy chair after beginnign his life as a shoemaker in a shop in Cahors.

In 1445, Sir Simon Eyre , a shoemaker from Brandon, Suffolk, became Lord Mayor of London...so many, so many...makes me want to read The Romance of the Shoe again.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
das
Seanchaidh

#6 Post by das »

DW,

Thanks! I was in a hurry out the door to work this AM.
Anonymous

#7 Post by Anonymous »

Sorry, I didn’t mean to come off as depreciatory but I had my doubts. I’ve read the Lives of Illustrious Shoemakers and Romance of the Shoe by Wright; course it has been some time back since I read them but they were included in the books I had in mind when I questioned the idea that any so-called history written were only anecdotal stories. When I pick up a book on the history of the U. S. there is an unbroken succession of people and events that leads up to the present day. In my readings of shoemaking and shoemakers nothing even approaches what I’d call a bona-fide history, it’s all scattered around in bits and pieces, here a little and there a little.

I admit that there were famous people or at least marginally famous people that were shoemakers. You forgot to mention Roger Sherman who was one of the signers of the U.S. Constitution as a shoemaker. Also Count Leo Tolstoy the author of Peace and War was an avocational shoemaker, etc. But a U.S. president, I didn’t think so. And Pope John XXII I doubt very much. I just did a quick search on him in a search engine and this is what came up in one of those electronic encyclopedias.

“JOHN XXII., pope from 1316 to 1334, was born at Cahors, France, in 1249. His original name was Jacques Duse, and he came either of a family of petty nobility or else of well-to-do middle-class parents, and was not, as has been popularly supposed, the son of a shoemaker.” http://81.1911encyclopedia.org/J/JO/JOHN_XXII_.htm

I also thought a Cordwainer can be either a shoemaker or boot maker. Are you saying they are only boot makers? Good day.
tomo

#8 Post by tomo »

The Big Book's tool sale is on now if anyone's interested, mostly saddlery equipment, but there are some footwear tools there as well.

http://www.proleptic.net

I wasn't sure how it worked, but after you've ordered a tool with your creditcard you recieve an email to comfirm details, then a marker goes on the website in yellow as 'pending' to let people know an item has potentially been sold. And I think once your details have been varified the goods are on their way. Once the tool has been sold its details are removed but the picture still remains.
Have a look. You may see something you'd like.

More power to y'awl.
Tom.
das
Seanchaidh

#9 Post by das »

Anonymous,

The current March 6-7, 2004 Northeast Auctions catalogue just happens to include US VP Henry Wilson's 2 shoe benches, shop sign, and some tools. According to the text, Wilson was apprenticed and apparently making shoes before his political career began in 1840, and before he ran the factory at Natick, MA.

The benches are pretty cool--DW, weren't you looking to buy an old one? Here you go... Image.

They are item #424, on page 70 of the on-line auction catalogue. Here's the link to page 70 with good color photo [it's PDF, so I couldn't figure out how to cut and paste the image itself, but maybe some more computer savvy member can?].

http://www.northeastauctions.com/auctions/2004/march/pdf/March67_T05.pdf
marc
Full Name: Marc Carlson
Been Liked: 2 times

#10 Post by marc »

In response to a request from Al, I am reposting the material from the pdf that he just linked to.
----------------------------------------
424 THE WILSON FAMILY SHOEMAKING
BENCHES AND TOOLS. Including a cobbler's bench
with traces of old green paint, standing workbench in old green paint, sign reading "Henry Wilson," shoe lasts and assorted tools. Height of standing workbench 41 3/4 inches, width 42 1/2 inches, depth 21 1/2 inches.
Henry Wilson (1812-1875), Vice President of the United States from 1873-1875 under Ulysses S. Grant, began his career as a young boy apprenticed to a cobbler. He eventually opened a shop of his own in Natick, Massachusetts and then a factory. Wilson became involved in local politics, was elected to the lower house of the Massachusetts
legislature in 1840 and served in the U.S. Senate from 1855-1873. Provenance: The Wilson family.
2777.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
das
Seanchaidh

#11 Post by das »

Marc,

Thanks!
Scott

#12 Post by Scott »

I have several machines for sale to be used in the leather and shoe Repair shoe making Industries. Landis L curve needle stitcher, American Straight Needle Stitcher,Sutton 296A Mckay, Sutton/Adler H/L Hercules Cylinder arm with Sutton Power Stand ( will sew up to 3/4 inch Leather. I'm in Tennessee and machines can be picked up at my place or personal delivery can be arranged depending on your location. Please email me with Questions and for prices.
relferink

#13 Post by relferink »

Medford, MA (5 miles north of Boston) Shoe repair shop needs to be closed by March 31st. Has for sale: Landis Turbojet RH
2822.jpg
and Landis 12L Aristocrat
2823.jpg
. Seem to be in good condition but I have not worked on any of these machines. I am just posting this, have no financial interest in this sale but hate to see it go for scrap metal. No price set, best offer but have to be picked up by 3-31-04. Contact the owner Larry @ 781-396-5910 or email me and I will forward message. Great deal if you can work out the short timing.

I wish I had a place to put that Landis 12 but can't build an addition to the shop that quickly Image

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mekhaus
Full Name: Mike

#14 Post by mekhaus »

A Landis stitcher has been posted to Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2390052962&category=28133

Their reserve has not yet been met at $295.

Mike
erickgeer

#15 Post by erickgeer »

This is a two part posting.

I have a friend who acquired a couple of footlockers with leftover shoe repair parts (mostly used outsoles, some with the pegs still sticking out, aparently unworn) I recall someone collecting used outsoles for another party. If they could contact me and let me know if these are still being collected, that would be great. There is also a couple of rolls of what looks like linen thread, possibly 4 and 7 cord. a couple of bundles of waxed cord - not in rolls. Plus some Welt and salvaged shoe pieces parts.

The second part is some mysterious leather pads, that would apear to be leftover from a sole press, here is a picture:
3016.jpg

They vary in degree of wear, this one is pretty well abused. If someone could let me know what they are, and if they are of some use, so I can pass the information on to my friend, it would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you
Erick
riotgeer@ameritech.net
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#16 Post by sorrell »

Erick,
I'm the one who was looking for used soles. A customer of mine claims he wants them. Let me check with him and make sure he wants more. I'll get back with you next week.

Lisa
erickgeer

#17 Post by erickgeer »

Lisa, Thank you,
I will let my friend know.

Erick
jimshoe
Full Name: James La Barba

#18 Post by jimshoe »

Since there are always postings searching for lasts, did you see these on EBAY?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8107609068

If the link doesn't show up properly, do a search on "shoe lasts" and you'll see it there--a set of 18 lasts sizes 3.5 to 13.5.
Brian C. Thomas

#19 Post by Brian C. Thomas »

For Sale
Landis K Sole stitcher
Landis Finisher 12 ft with numkeg
5 N 1 American
Shoe repair jack stand, feet set
Singer long arm patch machine (Mint)
Sutton McKay
Some hand tools and inventory from shoe repair shop

(Package Deal Only) Interested parties can email me for Art's price or call him directly

b17crewdog@aol.com

Art Reed
Abilene Tx
325 677-4572
bct

#20 Post by bct »

Please note that all the equipment I posted previously for indiviual on post listed below are now sold.

By Brian C. Thomas on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 05:44 pm: Edit Post
By Brian C. Thomas on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 03:01 pm: Edit Post
By Brian C. Thomas on Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 05:46 pm: Edit Post
By Brian C. Thomas on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 05:50 pm: Edit Post
By Brian C. Thomas on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit Post
By Brian C. Thomas on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit Post
Brian C. Thomas

#21 Post by Brian C. Thomas »

For Sale:

American 6 inch splitter (Mint)

Email me or call Art for price.

Art Reed Custom Saddles
361 E. S. 11th
Abilene, TX 79602
(325) 677-4572
shane
Full Name: shane deeter
Been Liked: 2 times

#22 Post by shane »

A friend of mine is selling a no. 9 harness stitcher. He has only used it a little. It was purchased new in 2002. It could be used for side seaming. Contact me if you need more info.
1-435-686-2268
deeter@citlink.net
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#23 Post by sorrell »

I have two auto solers and the table for a patch machine. Call or email me if you need either of those.

Lisa Sorrell
customboots@aol.com
405-282-5464
plugnickle
Full Name: Steve

#24 Post by plugnickle »

I am in the market for a pair of shank lasting pliers. Do you know of anyone traveling to Wichita Falls this year with a pair for sale?

Steve
Brian C. Thomas

#25 Post by Brian C. Thomas »

Please note that the equipment I posted previously for indiviual on post listed below is now sold.

By Brian C. Thomas on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 12:05 pm:

For Sale: American 6 inch splitter