Lasts

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: Lasts

#101 Post by paul »

DW,

I haven't begun using a Pedograph, tho I am aware of it. I have begun to run a second pencil line around the back of the foot at an angle and can see how I might get a clue of what you are talking about with regard to how the last will fit within that outline.

Thank you for the reply. I'll be over here in the corner chewing on what you've explained to me here.

PK
paul

#102 Post by paul »

Pablo,

I didn't want to fail to acknowledge your input as well. Thank you for your information. I'll add it to my cogitations.

PK
Mike Strong

#103 Post by Mike Strong »

Hi All:
I'm in need of some cowboy boot lasts with 1 5/8 inch heel and med round toe. Can anyboady tell me how or where to get some without having to wait for months. Used or new Thanks for the help.

Mike
shane
Full Name: shane deeter
Been Liked: 2 times

#104 Post by shane »

Mike,
You can try Jim Blaine Kenny at Panhandle Leather.
He usually has some used lasts at 20.00 a pair.
800-537-3945.
Good luck
Shane
hidesmith
Full Name: Bruce Graham

#105 Post by hidesmith »

I have a strange run of cowboy lasts, maybe a bit less rounded than your talking about. Here's the inventory:
9-E 2 pair
10-E&B (one of each size) 1 pair
10 1/2-B 1 pair
11-B 2 pair
12-B 1 pair
12-E 1 pair
These lasts are J&V style #30. Sounds like they'd fit the bill with exception of my less rounded toe.

I also have 3 pairs of cowboy *square* toe J&V style #159X following sizes:
7 1/2-D
9-D
10 1/2-D

I am asking $25 a pair plus freight, and will not sell individual pairs. I need the money and the space!
Thanks,

Bruce
relferink

#106 Post by relferink »

To make orhopedic lasts I am looking for Polyurethane foam that has a density of aprox. 45 lb. per qubic foot. (H 700 for the rest of the world) I am used to working with degaplast by degusa but can not find it here.
I'm looking for a local (Boston / New Enland or continental US) supplier so I don't have to pay a fortune to have it shiped from Europe (flamable & toxic)

I did find the PU foam but it's only 15 lb, to light and not strong enough.If anyone knows who sells any of this or knows of any alternatives please let me know.

Thanks,

Rob
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#107 Post by das »

Robert.

Try Atlas International Orthopedic Supply in CA. I think their web site is www.atlasortho.com, or atlasortho anyway. I buy from them here in Virginia, and it's only a 4 day delivery usually.

Good luck.
relferink

#108 Post by relferink »

Thank you for the idea.
The web site is correct but there foam is 20 lb/ft3. Still looks like a good source for tools and materials, thanks.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Rob
relferink

#109 Post by relferink »

If anyone is interested. I found the Poly Urethane foam to make shoe lasts from. It's a H700 and I found it at Otto Bock, a prosthetic supply place. They have branches all over the world and seem to stock the Pedilen Foam localy. http://www.ottobockus.com They don't want to tell me how expensive it is until I open an account.

I also heard the name “PQ liquid last”. Does anybody remember that stuff is it still on the market?
Thanks

Rob
gaid
Full Name: Janne

#110 Post by gaid »

I have done some research lately on the internet regarding lasts. The reason is that the company I'm working for are thinking about to offer their clients a "made to measure" grade through a cad-cam system.

There are many companies "out there" who could provide the stuff but there was one I found more interesting then the rest of the gang, the copmany IDEAS from Belgium. They are making a full range of cad-cam system for last making such as;

1) Digitisers used for the measurement.
2) CAD/CAM software used for the modelling of lasts.
3) Numerical Command Milling Machines (NCMM) used for the manufacturing of lasts.

When they told me that a famous German lastfactory are using their stuff, I was kind of surprised. But when they mentioned that a coupple of the most respected shoe and boot maker shops in the world are using their stuff, well then I was eager to know more about them. It seems like this is a system that works.

Here is the web address to the company http://www.ideas.be

The bespoke shoemakers mentioned above used their
DigiTab which "is an A3 digitisation tablet, coupled to powerful software specially developed for the design of lasts, starting from 2D elements (soles, profiles, footprints and style lines). This system anables you to trace a 2D profile in order to construct a 3D image."

The company offers many sollutions, one is that the maker just have the DigiTab stuff and then send the 3D image by e-mail to IDEAS who will make the last. I have only talked with them once so I don't know much about the costs, other then that the cost for the turning of a pair, if a 3D image is sent to IDEAS, is about Euro 45-50.

If I remember right there where some talk before about a kind of lastmaking-consortium. This system might be something for a consortium like that.
JEM
Anonymous

#111 Post by Anonymous »

Be very careful Janne. Talk is cheap. Real systems that work are usually not. I am pretty sure the "large German last maker" is now using another system and a large operation in Brazil has lamented the well over $1million investment they made in this system for some time now. Turns out it was a bad "idea".

Be sure you have proof before buying ANY system. Always run a benchmark and give the vendor a real project that you would work on and see how they perform. Demos and trade show presentations can be very deceiving.
norwegian
Full Name: Jan P.

#112 Post by norwegian »

Janne,
IDEAS is a realible company. I visited them in Bruxelles three years ago. In my opinion the software and DigiTab is brilliant, but at the time it was very much more expencive than other products. Do some research on "Rhino" for software. It is not spesially designed to do lasts, but you get the same result with some insight knowledge about how to prepare the files correctly for milling. To mill the lasts you only need a 3D drawing containing adjustable key-frames and there is several companies who offers that kind of option today. Be patient!

Until next time
JPM
gaid
Full Name: Janne

#113 Post by gaid »

Anon
-------
Talk is cheap. Real systems that work are usually not
-------
IDEAS never said they where selling cheap stuff. However, they said they where selling a system that works, and that is what my client is interested in.
Btw, I talked with the German last factory yesterday. They are using IDEAS system for their made to measurement lasts. You will find their addres on IDEAS web page, click on the link button.

Jan P,
It was interesting to hear you find IDEAS as a realible company. My brother who is working as a cad-cam designer agree on that one too. Also, he have worked with "Rhino"(which he like very much) on a daily basis the last 6-7 years and he think that it would be to complicated to use "Rhino". As you said, it is not speacially designed for last making.

I did not mention yesterday about the Otto Bock workshop in Norrköping. They have been making cad-cam lasts during the last 20-25 years. I have used them many times over the years regarding orthopedic lasts with a good result. The price for a pair of lasts is about $200. The good thing with their system is that no expensive investment is needed. The only thing needed is the footscanner which they have a leasing system for. One bad thing with it is that the user will never learn to make lasts by them selfs, because the 3D modelling will be made by Otto Bock.

JEM
btippit

#114 Post by btippit »

To all. The 9/11 discussion just about wore me out and I've been waiting for a good last discussion to brew. My comments on this current subject:

As IDEAS is somewhat of a competitor of Lectra, whom I work for, I will make no comments other than to say that our software for desiging, developing, and grading lasts is being used by major last makers around the world as well as many production shoe companies that develop their own lasts. It can be used for any type of last development...conventional or orthopedic and the tools are in the common language of the last model maker because it was developed with the assistance of last makers around the world, including myself. While there are always going to be some tasks that will be just as easy to do on the bench as opposed to on the screen, our RCS software is capable of performing literally every procedure that a last model maker goes through and is saving time and money in every facility where it is installed. We can also output to any CNC last lathe on the open market (Newlast, TRL, Compu-Last, etc.) as well as directly to CNC milling machines and rapid prototyping machinery such as STL and 3D printing devices. If you would like more information about this, please contact me at my business email address (b.tippit@lectra.com) or you can visit our website at www.lectra.com.

About Rhino, I agree on both points. It IS a great software and the products I've seen developed on it are quite nice, with extremely realistic onscreen rendering. Unfortunately (or perhaps in my case, fortunately) it is not designed for footwear and can only scale, not grade. It has no specific functions for last making and would be very time consuming as a tool for this.

"Anon" is correct on his/her final point. The best proof is always some sort of benchmark test where you give a vendor a project and the parameters within to work (always as you would work) and then see the results and the time/efficiency report. We feel quite comfortable with these types of tests on RCS.

I would like to point out that, while I had RCS software when I owned The Last Word, I had neither the time nor need to get properly trained on it as I wasn't making true "custom" lasts. Instead I gave my customers the right toe style in the right heel height of a last made to produce a specific type of shoe or boot and you guys did the "dirty work". I was more of a beta site, testing RCS for the developers. The software I used at the time was just the Compu-Last CAM and grading system for 3D and RCS-2D (for patterns and templates). All of you custom and bespoke guys kept me too busy making lasts to go any further with the use of a new 3D system. No regrets though. I enjoyed every minute of it and miss it a great deal at times.

OK, that's my two cents worth. Now I need to get back to work.

Bill
paul

#115 Post by paul »

OK, I've got another one for you guys, in particular, you who make custom orthopedic shoes.

This lady was in a couple of days ago bemoaning that she can only wear Birkenstock Sandals.
2479.jpg

As you can see, she has a challenge just wearing closed shoes, and she wants a boot!, even greater challenge. She has arthritus with little pain, and little else wrong with her feet. She's got strong arches and good alignment. From my point of view, from what I can see, she just needs a style she can get into. It'll be a very low heel, of course. She'd prefer a slip on but would settle for a lace up. But she needs something to wear in the winter around here.

So here's my question. Since there is an inch difference from ball to waist, which style would be best? And would it be better to make a last from a cast, or use a last and just build and build until I got the forepart where it needs to be? Is there anything else I should know in advance for this job?

Thank you for your advise.

PK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jake
Full Name: Jake

#116 Post by jake »

To All,

Just got to let everyone know I've very impressed with my recent order with Jones & Vining. Ordered a pair of last one day, and received them 10 days later! Lasts were very smooth and exactly what I ordered.

Their number is 870-886-6621. Ask for April Allison.
sidetrack
Full Name: andreas josef

#117 Post by sidetrack »

Geetings All,

Has anyone out there purchased last's from the Mexican Co. Hormas El Arbol? If so how long a wait for them puppies to clear customs. Going on a three week wait for three pair. Marcela told me that it was a three to four day production time and another two days for shipping? Appreciate any input.

THANKS!

A.J.
jake

#118 Post by jake »

Andreas,

I have never bought last from El Arbol, but I have talked to them over the phone a couple of times. I don't want to get into specifics, but I would be leary of them. Didn't sound like I was talking with a knowledgeable person.

I would recommend Jones & Vining. They are higher, but good people to work with. Look at the previous posts just above yours. It contains the needed information if you're interested.
Russell Shimomura

#119 Post by Russell Shimomura »

Hello all,
I am making a set of custom lasts for my odd shaped feet. I had planned on solid hardwood but noticed George Koleff mentions "Custom board" as a good material...what is this? What we call MDF or medium density fiber board here in the States?
Thank you!
jake

#120 Post by jake »

To All,

I just had to post another message concerning Jones & Vining. These people are busting their butts, in my humble opinion. I actually ordered 4 different model numbers on Sept 9. That's the day I sent the check and order off. I received them today---Sept 22! Not a bad turn-around, and I thought they did a darn good job on turning them.

So if you're having trouble with finding lasts, give them a holler! (870-886-6621) Ask for April Allison.
rileycraig
Full Name: Riley G.

#121 Post by rileycraig »

Jake,

I have to put in my two cents worth on your last post concerning Jones & Vining and April Allison. I usually receive my order within two weeks, after they receive the check...that's fast! As far as April... that young woman is A #1 in my book. She has gone above and beyond to assist me, and I'm certain many others. She calls back when she says she will, if necessary, never complains about looking up something for a boot maker who doesn't always cross t's and dot i's... I appreciate them.

Good Bootmaking,

Riley
jake

#122 Post by jake »

Riley,

I HEAR Ya! The whole dern bunch are trying to help the "Mom & Pop" shops. I for one sure do appreciate them. Just wanted to let people know. Thanks for the reply!
Jim Bowman

#123 Post by Jim Bowman »

I have promised to let my old friends know if I ever decided to sell my lastmaking shop... and I have started to do this many, many times (ask Dan Freeman!). It is time. I have a Gilman last lathe, a Linham (Albeko) pattern grader, and various other lastmaking related equipment and supplies. I would prefer to sell as a complete shop. I have it stored in a tractor trailer, so it is not set up. If you are serious , please email at jbowmanlasts@yahoo.com Thanks. Jim Bowman
jake

#124 Post by jake »

Jim,

You ol'codger! Hope life is treating ya good. We miss ya.

Just need to tell ya that quoting prices and such is off limits to the Forum. Has to do with our non-profit "do-ma-hicky". I'll have to modify your post and take that out. Sorry! I hope you understand. They can still use your email address to get in touch with ya.

By the way, are you still able, and willing, to make crimp boards?

Once again, it was sure good to hear from you. Take care and don't be a stranger!
tmattimore

#125 Post by tmattimore »

Looking for used munson style lasts. J.V. makes new ones but I am looking to save a few bucks.
Thanks
Tom Mattimore