The Screening Room

Videos of ordinary people demonstrating actual boot and shoemaking techniques without being controlled by a director.
marcell

Re: The Screening Room

#76 Post by marcell »

Ed,

As far as I know it is - but I use it only for this purpose. Needles: it is made for shoemakers, when you buy it, it is straight - you have to make a right form for yourself. I don't know the type, but I can put a photo here, if you need.
Sorry, I am afraid I don't understand the last question. Can you explain what you mean?
marcell

#77 Post by marcell »

My girlfriend helped me to translate. So, the distance between my stiches is approx 8-10 mm (0,3-0,4 inch) depends the part I sewn.
artzend
Full Name: Tim Skyrme
Been Liked: 2 times

#78 Post by artzend »

Marcell,

Do you heat the needles up until they turn blue before bending them? Are they saddler's needles like the old copper needles used to be?

Tim
marcell

#79 Post by marcell »

Yes I have to heat up before I make the right form. When it look OK, I heat up again, and put it to cold water.
Saddler's needle? I don't know.. maybe, but I don't have the original package, so I can't check. If you want to take a look, I can take a photo.
marcell

#80 Post by marcell »

I uploaded the 4. part of my "movie" to youtube. Hope you will like it.
artzend

#81 Post by artzend »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCzFCZkw8z8 is a video on youtube showing sewing the front of a moccassin held on a last. I was taught to sew them off the last and then force the last in, this method looks better but I reckon it would take a bit of practice.

Tim
relferink

#82 Post by relferink »

All,

As we were busy talking up a storm on the forum, our friend and HCC video librarian John Bailey has been hard at work creating a new home for the HCC video's. These are the videos of members presentations made at past gatherings of the company.

So from now on, if you find yourself at your computer at 4 am wearing nothing more than your pajamas you no longer have to call John and wake him to order a DVD. Just go to the “guild library” from the HCC home page and scroll down to the link for the video page.

These DVD's are a great source of information and support a worthy cause! John, a bit THANK YOU for all the work you put into them, both in the making and distribution so they are available to anyone interested.

Rob
marcell

#83 Post by marcell »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L0KXcgiRqaU

This is the 5th part of my video-serie. I had to realise that I want to show to much, so I still need to make one more. After this my harddrive will be full, so for a while you have to miss my videos Image Enjoy!
cwsaddler
Full Name: Jim Kladder

#84 Post by cwsaddler »

Marcell M what a joy a sharp knife is. I would love to hear how you sharpen your knives.

jimk
marcell

#85 Post by marcell »

Jim, my knives are not too sharp - not as they should be. Anyway you can see my sharpening method at the beginning of my first video.

Marcell
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#86 Post by dw »

Marcell,

Thanks for the videos. I think that's all of them?

All,

If anyone needs these in .mov format just holler and Admin will post the additional files. They have not been posted this time, because they are readily available on YouTube and being duplicate files, they just take up extra room on the server.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
marcell

#87 Post by marcell »

The whole collection contains 7 videos. Here is the link where you can reach them:

http://youtube.com/user/MarcellHUN
amuckart
Full Name: Alasdair Muckart
Been Liked: 5 times

#88 Post by amuckart »

Not so much a question about viewing videos, but about shooting them.

If I can't get someone to hold the camera and move it around/focus on the work etc, what is the best position/viewpoint for a tripod mounted camera to make for useful output?

Thanks
marcell

#89 Post by marcell »

I think Tim Skyrme also had this problem, but solved very well:

http://youtube.com/user/artzend01

On the other hand, you can save a lot of work if you get someone, anyway you will have to concentrate making your shoe.
dw
Seanchaidh

#90 Post by dw »

Alasdair,

I think that you were on the right track with your latest. Over the shoulder is the best perspective because it allows the viewer to identify with the subject and to immediately understand what is being done without having to mentally juxtapose everything from a second person perspective to first.

There is a well known and well respected theory that originated, I think, in the sports world...the idea is that if you can mentally "image" an action (or even just image yourself in that situation) you increase your chances of a successful performance immeasurably.

Seeing a techniques from the maker's POV helps to create that image in your mind.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
artzend

#91 Post by artzend »

Alasdair,

I just put the camera in front of me and then I could keep an eye on the viewfinder and make sure it showed what I wanted to convey. You can always move yourself around if you want a different angle, but if you are teaching, then the person is always in front of you.

A little bit of my video was done over shoulder but I think the best stuff was done from in front.

Tim
thomd

#92 Post by thomd »

I imagine many have seen this, or don't need to... It's a short piece on the Tom McCan factory. Interesting variety of machines on display. Some of which I recognize from the small shop, but most of which would be overkill.

http://www.archive.org/details/story_of_shoes_1
amuckart
Full Name: Alasdair Muckart
Been Liked: 5 times

#93 Post by amuckart »

DW, are WMV and MOV the only movie format you can use here, or can you handle mp4 as well?

It's possible to grab the 30Mbyte MOV of J Johansen's lasting video from vimeo if you know how. I have it and can put it somewhere easy for you to get to upload here, or convert it to WMV.
dw
Seanchaidh

#94 Post by dw »

Alasdair,

If you can attach it to an email...as wmv...I can post it. I'm guessing it will suffer in terms of quality...might not be so high def...but the info will still be there.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
tomo

#95 Post by tomo »

Tim,
You've done a great service by making and posting those videos. The information you convey is priceless.
I take my hat off to you man. Well done.

More power to y'awl
Tom.
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#96 Post by sorrell »

I have a YouTube channel and I've put up a video demonstrating how I make beading.

How to make beading

Lisa
holly
Full Name: Holly Embree

#97 Post by holly »

Lisa,
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. The video is fascinating, informative, and clear.
Much appreciated.
kemosabi
Full Name: Nat Ledbetter
Been Liked: 1 time

#98 Post by kemosabi »

Thank you Lisa.
I look forward to seeing this latest video, especially after enjoying and learning from your previous ones.

Regards,
-Nat
sorrell

#99 Post by sorrell »

Since I did a video demonstration of how to make beading, I thought I'd follow that with a demo of how I apply it.

Adding the beading to the boot

Lisa
sorrell

#100 Post by sorrell »

For the first two weeks of July I had the wonderful opportunity of taking a shoemaker's road trip through England. My friend Carina Eneroth, a shoemaker from Stockholm, planned the trip and invited me to go along. We visited several shoemakers in London (Foster and Son, Carreducker, James Taylor and John Lobb). We also spent four days with Bill Bird, a last and shoemaker. In this video he's made a last for the customer and is demonstrating how he cuts the lasts so he can remove it from the shoe.

cutting the last