The Screening Room

Videos of ordinary people demonstrating actual boot and shoemaking techniques without being controlled by a director.
amuckart
Full Name: Alasdair Muckart
Been Liked: 5 times

The Screening Room

#1 Post by amuckart »

DW,

Thank you! There really is no substitute for seeing someone who knows what they're doing in action. This is a huge help, especially the trick about getting the twist into the stitch.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Re: The Screening Room

#2 Post by dw »

Alasdair,

Great! I'm glad it was helpful. I worried because it is shot head-on...usually I try for a first person perspective but in this case, I didn't think to do it that way--I was breaking in a new camera person. Image

At some point in time I will do one on channeling the insole and another on holing the insole to compliment this one. But I was ready to inseam (all the channeling and holing done) so I thought I would go ahead and do this out of sequence, so to speak.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#3 Post by paul »

DW,

That was really super! Image

It was as if I was still in your shop standing there watching you demonstrate, before I took my turn, that is. Image But I've been practicin'. I was glad of the reminder to take the corners off the "bristles". The time or two that I've not done so, were a hassel until I remembered.

This is really a generous thing on your part to produce these and post them. I know it must take a considerable amount of time, and you give it away. I know the challenge of the technology is part of the appeal to you too.

Your committment to teaching is appreciated greatly.

And our thanks to your camera person.

PK
dw
Seanchaidh

#4 Post by dw »

Paul,

Thanks...

The technological challenge is a factor, for sure. But when you consider how limited the technology is, in fact, it's quite remarkable how useful these short clips can be.

I can't "stage" a shot like I can with a tripod and a still camera...athough I did shoot the last couple of minutes with the camera mounted at a fixed distance. But that limited me to a wide shot so that I didn't accidentally move out of the frame. With experience the camera person learns to zoom in and out and focus on the work not the person.

Anyway..I'm just glad someone can use it--everytime I post a 52mb clip, I worry folks will be reluctant to download such a big file. Guess that's because when I started a 96k modem was cutting edge technology. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
j1a2g3

#5 Post by j1a2g3 »

I can't believe this!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the process of moving and my high speed internet service is temporarily out.

This is a video I can't wait to see. If it's anything like the other videos it's got to be great. Thanks DW for posting those Videos they are a great help, Joel
shoestring

#6 Post by shoestring »

DW,
All I can say is thanks.Ihave learned much such as locking your stitch and the saving of my hands also rounding your bristle ends and that will help change my vocabulary. What type of wax were you dipping your awl blade in.With the use of technology you have put a new twist on shoe/boot building.Again thanks for your lessions and effort.

Ed
dw
Seanchaidh

#7 Post by dw »

Ed,

Great!! Glad to help. Image

It's just beeswax. I acquired an old brass bowl/urn some years ago. It had little round knobs for legs. It is attached to my bench and filled with about ten cakes of beeswax. I keep all my awls stuck, point first, in the wax--handy and ready lubricated.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
shoestring

#8 Post by shoestring »

DW,
I just finished viewing the new(video) lessions again THANKS,something learned at each viewing.With out watching E bay what's a source can a American Channel Knife be gotten,that was very cleaver leveling the feather.Those are some of the things that make a custom shoe/boot stand out and brings enjoyment to a maker.
I noticed at the end of your holing you marked the spots,I am working on a second welted pair that I used an ink pen to do the same an thought I was cheating should have done it with the 1st pair. Another learning was the 3 to the inch.And again thanks ........... .

Ed
dw
Seanchaidh

#9 Post by dw »

Thanks Ed.

I don't think that American channel knives are being made anywhere. I think you almost have to get them off of Ebay.

There is no such thing as cheating. Think about it. Any technique that helps you do the job well--achieve the best quality you are capable of--is exactly what this whole business is all about. Anytime someone sets an arbitrary standard...of time (how fast you can do it), of efficiency (how cheap you can do it), or even how much strength it takes to do a job...it's just posturing. None of that makes a whit of difference. You can't see speed, except as it leads to poor quality work.

If I live to be 150, I will always use whatever means is at my disposal to ensure that the work I do is accurate, and clean, and of the highest quality that I can make it.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
paul

#10 Post by paul »

DW,

I just stole a few minutes away from the bench to watch the two vidoes. They're great!

I didn't remember your suggestion to use a shallower curverd awl for the length of the hole at the toe. Thanks for that.

Did I miss the trimming the feather step with the welt knife? Suddenly it was accomplished.

Your staging was really good for these two. You're gettin' pretty good at this, pardner.

Thank you for the work you put into these.

PK
dw
Seanchaidh

#11 Post by dw »

Paul,

Doh!! Image Yes, I missed a clip. I have corrected this and uploaded a new version, changed the links, etc..

Thanks for the kind words. I thought these turned out especially good. I managed to find a satisfactory position for the tripod that allows a somewhat close to first person perspective. And I was able to flip the LCD so that I could make sure that the task was always in the frame. Plus, this way the work is the focus and the camera never really gets a chance to dwell on me. Plus, I found that with this arrangement and the way that I could pause at the end of each segment, I could slow down and think about what I needed to say next. [I mention all this so that anyone thinking about doing videos can pick up where I left off and not make the same mistakes I made. 'Course that opens it up to copying...but hey, the whole forum--the concept itself; the methods for presenting techniques; even right down to the underlying software--has already been "borrowed." I guess imitation really is the best form of flattery. Image]

I love this camera! It does tend to drop out words or sounds...or maybe it's me...but the picture is great and that sure makes a difference. I am thinking about getting a clip-on microphone, in hope that it will clear up the sound issue.

I keep thinking that in the next ten years the net and the equipment we use to access it will speed up to the point where a feller could really get into a technique in some depth. The limiting factor, right now, is file size. Because that not only determines how much space on the server is used up, it also determines the size of the display (I could make these videos smaller but then the picture would be half the size they are now), and how fast they can be uploaded and downloaded. I have 1.5mps broadband but it still takes 9 minutes to upload a 9 minute video. I worry about those folks who have slower connections or even (shudder) dial-up. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC

(Message edited by dw on June 11, 2007)
dw
Seanchaidh

#12 Post by dw »

BTW, there is a clip that I deliberately eliminated. In the channeling video, at the end, I mention that I have edged the grain surface of the insole. I originally video'd the use of the edger but for some reason (old age, a brain short, damage from cement fumes...) I kept calling it a "groover." I never realized my mistake and kept using that word throughout the clip. So...I deleted it. You all know what a #3 edger is...straight from Tandy or Osborne. And anyway, you have to leave something for the imagination.Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
kaspar
Full Name: Kaspar
Been Liked: 2 times

#13 Post by kaspar »

DW, Thank You for the videos!
K.
dw
Seanchaidh

#14 Post by dw »

Kaspar,

You're most welcome.Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
kaspar

#15 Post by kaspar »

Just for the talk.
I have dipped awl`s to the ooze made of soap and water, like in the video, in beeswax.
Looking forward new tutorials.
K.
dw
Seanchaidh

#16 Post by dw »

Kaspar,

That's very interesting! The one thing about the bees wax is that I can store my awls, stuck point first in the beeswax all the time. But I suppose a solid bar of soap would work the same way.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
chuck_deats

#17 Post by chuck_deats »

DW,

Thank you for the Videos. I can imagine the work and trial and error it took to produce such excellent quality. Cannot count the number of better ways to do the job compared to what I had been doing.

Chuck
kaspar

#18 Post by kaspar »

DW,
I think too, It should work same way with the soap. Have never seen such way to store the awls before. I have used just small tube for dipping.

K.
j1a2g3

#19 Post by j1a2g3 »

DW,
I just saw your two new videos. They will help me a lot. Thanks for always sharing your knowledge
dw
Seanchaidh

#20 Post by dw »

Chuck,

I appreciate the comments and kind words. If it makes things easier for you and anyone else who sees them...well, that's the reason I do them. So, I'm getting more than sufficient payback for the work, never fear. ...but keep your cards and letters coming, boys and girls. Image

Of course there may be other, even better ways...at least in someone's book. I've tried a number of methods--from the traditional to the technique du jour--but I have been settled on these procedures for quite a long time now. They just afford me a measure of control that I like, as well as a certain confidence that I'm not building in obsolescence--which I would define as "even the remotest possiblity that the technique will weaken or be the focal point for eventual breakdown." The latter point is why I abandoned using a knife to cut the inside channel, for instance.

Joel,

Glad to help...as ever.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
dw
Seanchaidh

#21 Post by dw »

Tim,

Very, very good! Thank you! I learned a lot...not the least of which is how clumsy my own videos are. [sigh]

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
artzend
Full Name: Tim Skyrme

#22 Post by artzend »

DW,

Thanks for that. I would have liked more footage to play with but eventually used the footage I shot when writing the book. I don't have many tools with me and cannot do any more footage until next year when I go back to my old workshop.

I thought your video was good. The only criteria with this sort of video is that you show the important stuff as well as you can. I think.

Tim
firefly

#23 Post by firefly »

Tim,

Great illustration. I love to see talent at work. I can't wait for part two.

Thanks,

Mark
paul

#24 Post by paul »

Tim,

I enjoyed looking over your shoulder. There were times in the past when this video would have been just what I needed to have confidence to do the task at hand.

This is a great contribution to our trade.
Thank you. I too look forward to more.

PK
chuck_deats

#25 Post by chuck_deats »

Tim,

Thank you for the Video. It is great to see that using lasting pliers does not have to be a wrestling match like I do it.

Chuck