the Shoemaker as Natural Philosopher

This off topic area is a place where, while you are visiting the Crispin Colloquy, you can talk about beer, whiskey, kilts, the latest WWII re-enactment, BBQ, grandsons, shoes in the media, and even the odd meandering essay on "why we make shoes."
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: the Shoemaker as Natural Philosopher

#26 Post by dearbone »

9062.jpg

I really had nothing to say to this deer as i came face to face with him, his brothers and sisters nearby in the bush,i was in their yard,he was checking me out while in i was in their spot birdwatching,i know his parents and probably his grand parents.

Nasser
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erickgeer

#27 Post by erickgeer »

Nasser,

Fun shots of the Hawk and the Deer. I never seem to have a camera nearby when I see interesting birds. The deer looks very curious about you.

Erick
dearbone

#28 Post by dearbone »

Erick

I am glad you enjoyed the pictures, the world is full of wonderful things and also bad things, One needs a soul like a bee,for he collects all the good of our opulent time and never touches poison.

A friend just call me today and mentioned a live camera is on a pair of bald eagles out of Sidney,BC. the female is sittings on eggs so that's a lot of time to observe and learn about these magnificent birds, here is the address.
Hancockwildlife.org click on live cam, new nest.

Nasser
larrym
Full Name: Larry M

#29 Post by larrym »

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Once I figure how to post pics, I'll share some typical Arizona wildlife and scenery.

(Message edited by LarryM on April 01, 2009)
dearbone

#30 Post by dearbone »

I hope some of you tuned in to see the eagles,especially the Hornby island nest, very rough weather,but they are holding on,Love to hear what some of you who tuned in have to say,after all they give us this thread to speak about nature.

Nasser vies
HCC-Member
dearbone

#31 Post by dearbone »

9093.jpg

This is the most common bird around the world,the house sparrow,lots said about it,but little known,it was brought to New york in 1850 it has taken over the continent all the way to the Canadians Tundra,it is an old time bird,just like me and the bald eagles and they signed a mutual and security pact together,the sparrows are allowed to build their nest directly beneath the bald eagle nest,they eat insects and caterpillars and they warn the eagles of any thing danger climbing the tree.

Nasser
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dearbone

#32 Post by dearbone »

I went for a walk this morning, it is bird watching, breathing exercise and whatever in between in my little forest,i have a chair under a crap apple tree,where i go to rest and bird watch,so when i was there today,i hear this load drumming on wood of the downy woodpecker,but hard to see,finally i found out where it was, load little fellow for it's size.
9101.jpg
btippit

#33 Post by btippit »

Hello to all. My wife turned me on to this great site a few weeks ago. For all of you who love to watch birds, particularly the larger predators, go to www.suttoncenter.org/eaglecam.html and scroll down. This group has set up a couple of webcams watching a nesting pair of eagles on the center's land. One overlooks the nest and the other is off at a distance so that you can see the mom and dad fly in and out. This pair of eagles has raised 25 young ones in the past 15 years. It's just fascinating to watch this young eaglet as he grows. I started watching in late March, a few days after the first egg hatched. Two other eggs were laid but they never hatched. One stuck to the mom and fell away as she flew out on day but the other one is still in the nest. I really wish it would get disposed of too but maybe they're saving it for some Halloween shenanigans. Sorry I didn't think to post this sooner. Enjoy.

Bill “The Last Man Standing” Tippit
www.globalfootwearsolutions.com
dearbone

#34 Post by dearbone »

If you can spare few moments, please visit this site, The State of the Birds, it is the 2009 report on birds in the US. (a short video)

Nasser
dearbone

#35 Post by dearbone »

After hours of bending down ,making uppers,i decided to take a walk this morning in the ravine near by where i usually go,not expecting i came across this very young white tail with a very pretty face,learnt from former encounters,i stop motionless, than carefully i reach for my camera in my pocket and as she was checking me out,i got few good shots and called it a day and back to the bench.
9476.jpg
dearbone

#36 Post by dearbone »

Here is a picture of a male cardinal from today's walk,rarely i can get that close,although my bird book says they will eat of hands, in fact they are not easily approachable,but today there were two males playing/fighting and somehow they cared less about me being close,so here is a picture of one of them with my point & shoot.
9478.jpg
j_johansen
Full Name: J Johansen
Been Liked: 2 times

#37 Post by j_johansen »

Howdy,
For any of you that love the natural environment, and have a facination with the cowboy life, there is a great new book out that details where those two roads meet and travel into the future, "Gardeners of Eden" by Dan Dagget. I really enjoyed it.
Cheers, J.
dearbone

#38 Post by dearbone »

9750.jpg
9751.jpg
9752.jpg

Here is pair of cedar waxwings i saw today,beautiful colors,they must be recent arrival from the US,their food is ready here,i heard these birds get so intoxicated on over-ripe fruits,they can't fly,these two were passing fruit to each other,peak to beak, and i tell you watching this is as good sermon as any sermon.
athan_chilton
Full Name: Athan Chilton

#39 Post by athan_chilton »

I just discovered this part of the forum, and want to comment on something I just ran across in the archives on a different topic altogether.

DW & some others were talking about having read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin seafaring novels. I want to chime in and say that these are some of the very best & most engrossing novels I have ever read--and I read a lotImage The historical accuracy is wonderful, of course, but what's far greater is how POB makes the Napoleonic era really come alive through his remarkable characters & their adventures. Jack, Stephen & the rest sometimes seem more 'real' to me than people whom I actually know.

My old van had an Aubrey-Maturin bumper sticker on it--w/the image of Stephen dragging Jack-in-the-bear's-skin along, from the episode in which they are escaping into Spain...the only people who 'got' that bumper sticker, of course, were people who had read the book!!
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#40 Post by dw »

You know of course that there's a cookbook? It was written by a mother daughter combination and well researched. It's called "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog" by Anne Chotzinoff Grossman and Lisa Grossman Thomas.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#41 Post by dw »

Couple photos of my favourite photographic subject--from the garden spot of the high desert
10105.jpg

10106.jpg

10107.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
dearbone

#42 Post by dearbone »

11708.jpg
11709.jpg
11710.jpg

Toronto is most beautiful in the fall,I was wondering by the Don river this morning,The closest wilderness close to where i live,So as i was walking a path under the cover of the trees i saw this red tail hawk with long wing span flying through the trees/branches with such a mastery, I froze in awe,Hard to share the real experience with my bad Camera, the hawk Sits on a dead tree chewed by the beaver who lives near by,The hawk over looking a sand beach where ducks and other birds gather,so it is a good spot for the hawk to be if it is thinking about lunch.

Cheers
Nasser
athan_chilton

#43 Post by athan_chilton »

Beautiful! Oddly enough I spotted a quite large redtail yesterday while driving through the Illinois countryside. Wish I had had my camera and that I was not driving when I saw him!!
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#44 Post by romango »

Ok, well here are some wild turkeys on my neighbors roof here in Eugene, Oregon.
11712.jpg

11713.jpg
dearbone

#45 Post by dearbone »

Rick,Athan,

That's awesome,I am so thrilled,Wild turkeys in Oregon! red tails in Illinois,I love those sightings/reporting so much, I study birds of north America and love people who keep an eye open to the sky and picture them birds in their areas,Birds are the canaries in the mine shaft,sad to say, they save us and they are forewarns.

Nasser
dearbone

#46 Post by dearbone »

It is bird watching season folks,if you can't get out of your shop much like i am,Here is this year live stream cam from "Hornby Island Eagles", a pair of eagles with their brand new few days old chicks. just go to, Hornby Island Eagles. enjoy.

Nasser
athan_chilton

#47 Post by athan_chilton »

In the spirit of 'time out to be refreshed by Nature' I am going to post this photo, taken last summer, at the St. Louis Botanical Garden. A little judicious use of Photoshop brought out the amazing colors of dragonfly wings (colors which scientists have apparently just discovered!)
/image{lilypad & dragonfly}
athan_chilton

#48 Post by athan_chilton »

Sorry, all - I evidently didn't format the photo code properly...
dearbone

#49 Post by dearbone »

13679.jpg
13680.jpg

Timing is everything, the green salad is as old as the chicks,two weeks old and eating a lot of the new grass/plants,They have to get as big as their parents if they have to fly back south in the fall,I got trapped between two families with babies and had to retreat and make no mistake these birds will attack humans when with chicks and can do some damage to your shine by using their wing.

Nasser
athan_chilton

#50 Post by athan_chilton »

I'll try this again, having re-read the bit on 'formatting'... lilypads & dragonflies, St. Louis Botanical Gardens, during Japan Festival 2010. A little bit of Photoshop went a long way to revealing these transient beauties Image
13682.jpg