News and announcements

This off topic area is a place where, while you are visiting the Crispin Colloquy, you can talk about beer, whiskey, kilts, the latest WWII re-enactment, BBQ, grandsons, shoes in the media, and even the odd meandering essay on "why we make shoes."
1947redhed
Full Name: Georgene Mckim
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: News and announcements

#51 Post by 1947redhed »

Didn't know Rosie the Racing Greyhound (DW's dog)
had her own emoticon. Where do you find these things?
Georgene
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#52 Post by dw »

Georgene,

I knew you'd like that. I don't know where I got it. I know it's silly but I'm always on the lookout for these kinds of things--emoticons of a certain style.

Feel free to copy it off the page here...that's almost certainly what I did.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
btippit

#53 Post by btippit »

Happy (one day late) Birthday DW from your soon-to-be cross state neighbor. Hope you enjoyed your day and have great success and happiness in the coming year!

Bill Tippit, Sr.
relferink

#54 Post by relferink »

At 64 a day late doesn't matter much or does it......
DW, hope you had a wonderful birthday with many more to come.
When you start collecting Social Security next year you may consider taking up traveling the world to visit fellow boot and shoemakers to collect those single malts promisedImage.
Just a thought.

To all other who just had a birthday or are about to become a year wiser also best wishes.

Rob

PS, do call ahead and I'll make sure to have a nice single malt ready for you as well
danfreeman
Full Name: Dan Freeman

#55 Post by danfreeman »

Happy Birthday, DW. Many more good ones to you.

Dan
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#56 Post by lancepryor »

DW:

Belated happy birthday wishes.

I just crossed the half-century line 2 weeks ago, so I am now getting AARP solicitations. You know, they are saying (okay, I am saying) '50 is the new 30', so I imagine you must feel like you're 44, not 64!

Here's hoping you have many happy returns of the day.

Lance
john_woodward
Full Name: john woodward

#57 Post by john_woodward »

Happy Birthday DW, You don't look a day over 60...did you have some work done? Could I get a referal?
dw
Seanchaidh

#58 Post by dw »

Jeeze! Thanksto all of you. I think we'll have to take Thomas' suggestion and extend this party past midnight.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
jkrichard
Full Name: Jeffrey K Richard

#59 Post by jkrichard »

Late to the party... but Happy Birthday DW. While there may be some argument to the fabled 64 stitches per inch...we can't argue 64 years to the DW. Many more!

-Jeff
cwsaddler
Full Name: Jim Kladder

#60 Post by cwsaddler »

Happy Birthday DW. I am sorry to tell you this but they changed the law. You have to be as old as I am (66) to get SS.

JimK
dw
Seanchaidh

#61 Post by dw »

Jim,

Thanks for the B'day wishes.

According to some flyer/info we got last year, I could actually be collecting SS now...not the max that I would collect at 66 but over 50% I think. And at 65 it comes to a bit over 75%, if I recall correctly.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray

#62 Post by jon_g »

Here's a very interesting video about the shoemaker that Daniel Day Lewis supposedly studied with, nice work.

I'm sure this should go under a different thread, but couldn't find the right one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHoWzcXbF_Q
corvin
Full Name: Craig Corvin

#63 Post by corvin »

Thanks for posting this Jon! Were those shoes for DDL or made by DDL?

On a side note, and speaking of studying with, Marcell will be in New York in June teaching. Any plans to head down to be a teacher's assistant?

Marcell's classes in NYC in June
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#64 Post by sorrell »

I'd like to let everyone know that Janne Melkersonn has been diagnosed with leukemia. I received this email a couple of weeks ago from my friend Carina in Stockholm and she and Janne gave me permission to post it here.

"I was so happy that he moved to Stockholm with his wonderful family, giving me the opportunity to work closer with him again.
They got an old house , located 10 minutes from us and they just started to renovate the house.
He´s been at the hospital for the first treatment since last Friday and now he´s feeling a little better.
Cancer treatment is like a war in your body and he has been really sick.
I´m spending as much time as possible with his wife and kids and I´m trying to help out in all ways I can.
He´s going to be at the hospital for at least 4 weeks this first treatment and the doctors don´t say anything yet about the out coming of the treatment.
We will know in about 8 mount if he will recover. We pray and wish with all of our hearts that he is one of the 90% that will get.

I´m going to call him now to find out if he is strong enough to have visitors today so I can see him again.

I didn´t ever think that I would say that shoes are unimportant, but right now Jannes health and the wellbeing of his family is my only priority.
I´m putting a group of shoemakers together to help Janne and Maria fixing the house. Right now the kids still sleeps at the floor in one small room since there is a lot of stuff that need to be done at the basement floor were the kids were suppose to have there bedrooms."

If anyone would like to send a card to Janne, his address is:
Jan-Erik Melkersson
Timmervägen 66
SE-14252 Skogås
Sweden
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#65 Post by paul »

Thank you for posting this Lisa.

Janne I wish you to be blessed with power and strength as you journey through this.

Paul
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#66 Post by dearbone »

Lisa, Thank you.

Janne,I wish and pray you find the strength in you to fight this,My thoughts are with you at this very difficult period.

Nasser
dw
Seanchaidh

#67 Post by dw »

Lisa,

Thank you for posting that. I had heard about this "through the grapevine" some short time ago but was hesitant to contact Janne because I was not sure that he would want this to be known...some people don't.

When I read your posting this morning I felt free to email him with our best wishes and support.

I hope everyone will do the same...his email address is: janne.melkersson@melkershoes.com

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
janne_melkersson
Full Name: Jan-Erik Melkersson

#68 Post by janne_melkersson »

Lisa at all,
thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I am glad to tell you that the treatment is going as good as it can and that I am in good hands at the hospital. I have been home over the weekend and will be back at the hospital tomorrow for a second run of kemoterapy. If all goes well then I don't have to stay at the hospital much more because they can take care of me during daytime. That said there will be some time left for hobby shoemaking and I have some new stuff on the bench which I will post a photo of later on :-)

Unfortunately I can not come to the HCC meeting but there will be another year and I hope to see you there then.
dw
Seanchaidh

#69 Post by dw »

All,

Well, I've been busy trying to arrange things for AGM in 2011 recently--on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor; taking part my Landis curved needle and washing it down, piece by piece, in solvent, etc.; hanging crepe paper garlands and ordering in flowers--it's never too early.

But I've not been so busy I would forget that another Christmas is upon us and with it the blessing of the season and the promise of a new year where the possibility, at least, exists that all will be made right or that what's right will keep getting better.

This has been a good year for the Colloquy...we've grown almost exponentially...and
we've seen a lot off good information and some really useful and intelligent conversation.

Thank you all...every one...for that.

I want to wish each of you a very

[center]
12593.png
[/center]

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
homeboy
Full Name: Jake Dobbins
Has Liked: 111 times
Been Liked: 30 times

#70 Post by homeboy »

Dee-Dubb,

Thank You for all your hard work behind the scenes!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years!

P.S. Can hardly wait for the AGM!

Jake
tomo

#71 Post by tomo »

Christmas morning here now and it's fantastic. I had my father's funeral two days ago, he was 88. Early this morning I took my little Jack Russell for a walk along the beach, and as the sun came up over the Tararuas the whole beach came alive with magic. I hope your days are all filled with magic, joy and love too.

Merry Christmas to y'awl
Tomo.
salsa
Full Name: Richard Castellar

#72 Post by salsa »

Sunday, 1 May 2011

Spring has come. The sun is out. Flowers are blooming. Bin Laden is dead. The world is a better place.
djulan
Full Name: David Ulan

#73 Post by djulan »

Below is a link to an interview with a trade center business man rebuilding his shoe repair business after 9/11. Minas is well known by most everyone in the shoe business here in NYC.

http://news.yahoo.com/shop-owner-battles-back-after-9-11-destroys-business-bring s-400-000-debt.html

You may need to paste the address in your browser's address window if it does not function as a link.

Peace,
David
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 8 times

#74 Post by tjburr »

I was not sure where to put this.

3D printing has come a long way, and this is becoming less costly. I have not looked into the cost yet, but did see a video on CNN. In the video they even showed a shoe that was 3D "printed".

I wonder how much it would cost to make a last. Use Rick's last reader for and old last an use that design to print the last. Maybe somewhere in the near future this will be cost effective.

http://www.deelip.com/?p=7448

Terry
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#75 Post by romango »

Most of the 'cheap' 3D printers do not have a large enough stage to make a shoe last (yet). It certainly might be in our future though.

I keep one eye one developments in that area.