Great Leather!

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
texrobinboots

Re: Great Leather!

#76 Post by texrobinboots »

CW,
Really, never heard of bitters. What is it exactly?...TR
cmw
Full Name: Chris
Been Liked: 1 time

#77 Post by cmw »

Tex

I'm not sure how to tell you. The truth of the matter is the first shot taste really bad. The second not soo bad, the third and forth taste good. By this time you start to forget about the breakfast in front of you and wish you didn't like the stuff. Some of the more common are GAMMEL DANSK and NORD SØ OILIE. Thereare other brands and taste, try a google search.

One last thing before i go to bed. Ask the Swedes about Nyhavn i København and why they like swimming so muuuuuuuuuuch!!!

Janne

Det er ment i det bedste og som sjov.

CW
gaid
Full Name: Janne

#78 Post by gaid »

CW
Jag förstod det. Btw. Gammel Dansk taste like cough mixture and should be used like medicine.
Janne
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#79 Post by dw »

All,

I have a great fondness for the French calf that GH Leather carries. Yesterday, Greg sent me some swatches of some new colours that he's got options on. A very nice wine and a beautiful, clear, bright, fire engine red. Anyone looking for a red or a wine--less brown and less dark than burgundy--might want to give Greg a call and take a look at a sample swatch. I just wish I had a pair of red full cuts to make right now.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
Lisa Sorrell

#80 Post by Lisa Sorrell »

I received the swatches also, and the wine (color: #117, Merlot) is just lovely. I'm going to have to try some of it.

DW, you're always making red boots so you must love the color. Be brave and make yourself a pair! I want to see you in Texas this year in a pair of red full wellingtons!

Lisa
Sharon Raymond

#81 Post by Sharon Raymond »

I'm wondering if there's any source for purple calf. thanks, Sharon
dw
Seanchaidh

#82 Post by dw »

Sharon,

Probably not...not that I know of anyway. But there is a good source of purple kangaroo...which is a better leather all around...if you can use 2-3 ounce weights.

Sheridan Leather Outfitters,1-888-803-3030

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
mnewberry
Full Name: Matt Newberry

#83 Post by mnewberry »

Sharon-

Stevenson-Paxton sent me a sample book of colored calf that included purple. These were limited lots, as is common with those guys, and this was a little while back. But I'd try them, at (800) 648-1622. (Although you *will* like their kangaroo, too.)

Matt
Michael Anthony

#84 Post by Michael Anthony »

To All,

Is there any interest in putting together another buyer's consortium of Rendenbach leather?

The only foreseeable trouble is the strength of the Euro.

Comments please...

Michael
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 136 times

#85 Post by das »

Michael,

How's the deal on *not* having the logo stamped onto the grain this time?
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#86 Post by sorrell »

Michael,
I'm ready for some more soles, so I would add to your order if you make one. Do you only order soles, or are there other products we could order like insoles or top leather?

Lisa
Michael Anthony

#87 Post by Michael Anthony »

Not much interest...

Al, the tannery assured me that the stamp will be on the flesh side.

Lisa, no top leather. Insole shoulders, 4mm + are available.

We will not have enough of an order to make our consortium float. It is probably better because the Euro is so strong that the leather would cost to much anyway.

I will place a small order for myself, to be sent air-mail, which gets really expensive.

Broke in California...

Michael
Sharon Raymond

#88 Post by Sharon Raymond »

Greetings all, Well, you've got me hooked! I can't believe all the beautiful colors in kangaroo from Sheridan leathers - I've never had such a rainbow to work with before. And I've ordered some lilac calf from them also. Thanks so much for the accurate advice available on the colloquy. Any idea why kangaroo lace cannot be sold in certain states? I gather kangaroo is not eaten - aare the animals killed for their hides - or because they are pests?
dw
Seanchaidh

#89 Post by dw »

Sharon,

Kangaroos *are* eaten, are killed for their hides, and are killed because they are pests. Kangaroo is banned in some states because of misguided environmental laws. Believing that 'roos are endangered or just too cute to kill, states have taken it upon themselves to ban their import. And sometimes the sale of articles made with roo. Same with alligator...even though it's been many years since the gator population was threatened, gator is still on the California banned list, as far as I know.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
dw
Seanchaidh

#90 Post by dw »

All,

I have contacted Horween and have received some samples of their (ahem) "dress" leathers. Among these are the Beaumont and certain types of latigo. They are all vegetable retanned and most are struck through and have a semi-glazed(they call it "hand glazed) surface.

Although not really what I was hoping for or expecting, I can see how this leather might very well make a nice pair of boots. I can even see crimping full cuts from the Beaumont, in particular.

My question is threefold...has anyone used any of these leathers for boots or shoes? How well does it wear? And how does it finish up?

And the bonus question: Has anyone tried to crimp a full wellington from it?

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 136 times

#91 Post by das »

DW,

Glad you caught up with Horween on their "dress" leathers. "Beaumont" doesn't ring a bell--it's been maybe 5 years since I've ordered anything from them but horse. So, sorry, no "field report" on "Beaumont" here.

Like most everything else, I've noted a decline in quality/consistency in Horween's stuff [wax-calf, horse fronts, and Cordovan shells], as I've ordered stuff from them for maybe 20 years. They are still highly regarded.
tmattimore

#92 Post by tmattimore »

D.W. the last I tried from horween was some horse front linings both ripped out at the throat crimping screw long before they lay down to the board. I saved them both but it was the longest crimp I have had in a while. I have never used the Beaumont so let me know how it works if you give it a try. I have been getting a few calls for a dress wellie in fancier colors then my henry ford black.
Tmattimore
Michael Anthony

#93 Post by Michael Anthony »

To All,

Hopping in on the Kangaroo issue:

Red and Grey Kangaroo from the genus Macropodidae, are a "protected species" under international law and require CITES (convention for international trade in endangered species) certification for import into the United States.

Wallaby, which are related to and resemble kangaroo but are smaller, from the genus Wallabia, are the species whose herds are culled because of over-population. Fifty million Wallabies are killed every year. This species does not require CITES certifiction for import.

The CITES regulations change every year. The most current information that i could find in my files is approximately three years old.

Hopping along...

Michael
Tex Robin

#94 Post by Tex Robin »

Michael hopalong,

Just how do they know which kangaroo the hide came from? I am sure I have seen some of the larger ones passed off as wallabys......TR
Michael Anthony

#95 Post by Michael Anthony »

Tex,

To tell you the truth, i don't know how they distinguish the Kangaroo from the Wallaby? I can imagine that they are regulated much in the same way that wild game is in this country?

Or, perhaps the Kangaroo are required to carry "proof of origin" indentification cards in their glove boxes (pouches). Ha Ha...

Michael
gcunning
Full Name: Gary

#96 Post by gcunning »

Michael,
I'm not trying to be a smart alec but maybe this will help with any confusion.

Family
Macropodidae (-idae- denotes a family name).

Genus Species
Macropus giganteus - grey kangaroo
Macropus rufogriseus - red necked wallaby
Tex Robin

#97 Post by Tex Robin »

Michael,

Actually a Wallaby is just as much a Kangaroo as a Red or a Grey, just smaller. There are 47 different species of Kangaroos. Can you use it in Cal?.....TR
Sharon Raymond

#98 Post by Sharon Raymond »

Greetings, I appreciate the information on kangaroo/wallaby leather. Another leather question: there is a shoe company on the web advertising that the leather they use has "extra oils and waxes hot-stuffed into the leather to make it water repellant". I am wondering what type of leather this is, and if anyone knows where it might be available in 4-5 oz. Thanks!
tmattimore

#99 Post by tmattimore »

In my experience true hot stuffed leather is difficult to last unless it is also milled soft. If you want to try Wickett and Craig they have made some one off leathers for me before. The range of colors may be very limited as they will have to mix a piece in with a load of other product. Of course it will be a veg tan. Ask if they can make what you want out of a heifer side as steer may be split to thin to have any strength left in 4-5 oz.. At the shows they are trying to impress on every one their versitility. Once you come to the dark side and try veg tan you may not want to go back.
tom
dw
Seanchaidh

#100 Post by dw »

tom,

How are you defining "true hot stuffed?" Surely some of Horween's latigo is hot stuffed...??

But truth to tell, I'm not sure I know what true hot stuffed is...I've used leathers that I thought were hot stuffed and never had the lasting problem that you refer to. Getting it wet is another matter.

I agree with you about veg tans but the selection is so limited. You can't make everything out of lightweight skirting leather that you've dyed yourself (nevermind the finish). Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC