Great Leather!

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
texrobinboots

Re: Great Leather!

#51 Post by texrobinboots »

Michael,

Planning on being at Janne's to straighten up his bootmaking by New Years day. Sent off our passports today. Hey, I'm going, brrrr....TR
Michael Anthony

#52 Post by Michael Anthony »

To All,

Anyone that is interested in taking a virtual tour of the Rendenbach tannery can do so by linking onto the following:

Rendenbach Virtual Tour

You can also e-mail your comments about their leather directly to the tannery.

Enjoy the tour...

Michael
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#53 Post by dw »

Michael,

No, I don't quote European shoemakers at all. Occasionally I quote from books that are part of our heritage...they happen to be British but I quote them because I see truth there and not because I am entranced by everything European. I respect Janne and Jan Peter because I've seen their work and not because they're European or because someone else tells me I should.

But perhaps one observation deserves another...you seem awfully defensive about this. What did you do, buy stock in Rendenbach while you were over there? As far as I can tell, even *re-reading* your posts, you asked for an opinion about Rendenbach leather soles...not about Michael Anthony. I would think if you really wanted an opinion you would respect it.

Having said all that, if you've truly got the business with the brand resolved, I'll commit to at least two dozen. And more as I need them. I'm still working on finishing them to my satisfaction and need time and experience. Like I said when they're good they're very, very good...
2283.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Anthony

#54 Post by Michael Anthony »

Tex,

Great news about you going to Sweden, you will have a lot of fun. Although, I wonder how you will get by without your gun? A Texan in the Stockholm winter, now that's a pretty picture.

All kidding aside, you will enjoy Janne and his family's hospitality immensely. Ask Janne to show you the newest building in stockholm, it is only 100 years old.

Please don't mess up Janne's mind about bootmaking, it took me a long time to undo the damage you did when he was in Coleman. Now he can finally say that he knows how to make real boots,
the way we do it on the west coast.

Anyway, if you want any tips on traveling to Sweden, I am happy to help. If you buy me a ticket, I'll be your guide and carry your wife's bags for her.

Talk to you on a landline soon...

Michael
Michael Anthony

#55 Post by Michael Anthony »

DW,

Rendenbach is not a public company, but if they were, I would by stock.

Defensive, who me? Have you ever known me to be defensive? Come on now...

Anyway, I did ask for opinions, but then again, when have I ever had to ask for yours? I do believe that opinions fly freely around the Crispin.

By the way, I know that you like the leather and if we can find enough interest here, I am happy to help us get it.

DW, you are old and should be in bed by now...

Goodnight...

Michael
texrobinboots

#56 Post by texrobinboots »

Michael,

I guess I will just have to get me a big Swede bodyguard and trade him a pair of boots.

I guess Janne told you one of the shoemakers he knew there has turned out to be my 3rd cousin. Janne is probably kin to me somewhere down the line.

I will survive the cold Swedish winter but I will know why my GGrandfather left there!

I will bring you back some Swedish Caviar. You will love it. Talk to you soon....TR
D.A. Saguto--HCC

#57 Post by D.A. Saguto--HCC »

Michael,

I'm still up for 2 doz. pairs only *if* you can get that stamp off of the grain-side.

BTW, reading the chatter here, let me add these opinions:

1) If one doesn't like the smell, they *never* knew good sole leather. The more it smells like beer-vomit, the "better" it's tanned--that rule of thumb has been around for more years than any of us have been at this. And anything tanned with genuine oak-bark, or valona [acorn caps] as Rendenbach is, is going to smell like a lumberyard of freshly cut green oak times 10--pee-uuuu Image

2) I noticed a bit of burning like Tex did, and I have always been under the impression this is caused by too much sugar-loading in the leather. Tanners add sugar [or glycerin] to absorb ambient moisture from the air, to increase the weight of their hides, because they sell it by weight. Too much moisture in the leather, however, and it'll burn baby burn when sanding.

3) Durability: I've been using Rendenbach soles [for 10 years], along with Bakers and Croggans [for 20 years], and domestic [for 30 years] off and on. Results: Rendenbach outlasts the best domestic soling--it wears twice as long. Bakers, [and old Croggans] soling comes in second on durability, but if you beat it out, or roll it to compress and harden it, it almost approaches the durability of Rendenbach. All US soling made in our lifetimes, I'm certain, was/is drum-tanned quickly only with oak, hemlock, and/or Qurebacho *extracts*, not slowly pit-tanned for 12-plus months in the ground with the real ground bark. This makes a huge difference. Also, the "Dead Guys" discussed and compared valona-tanned soles [like the Rendenbach], to pit-tanned oak-bark soles. Valona produces a "harder" more utilitarian leather just because of the chemistry somehow. Add the hard-rolling they do, and you've got something almost too hard in my opinion. It's hell to cut [which means it's long-wearing], and it's almost too hard to hand-stitch. I only use it for machine-stitched bottoms, and rarely for "dress" shoes or boots because of its hardness/stiffness.

4) All of the new Horween horse shell cordovan I've used in the past two years has been "burnt" chemically, or half dry-rotten, or something evil. One shell piece I tore in half easily by hand! Ya'all do a rip-test on your uppers leathers before you click it, right? If not you best start.

5) BTW Tex, England has *never* been part of Europe... well up to now anyway Image
dw
Seanchaidh

#58 Post by dw »

Michael,

Lest it go unsaid...you do us all a great service handling Rendenbach. Let no one doubt it. It is work and no one else is quite as qualified to do it...to deal with them ( your "fervor" works in your favor, here)...as you are.

As I get moved into the new shop, I would like to switch to Rendenbach soles exclusively.

BTW, I work here...all day, everyday. One of the perks to having this job is that I get to read and see every post made to the forum and I get to express my opinion on any subject I want. But it's realy an illusory benefit because in truth anyone who cares to can do the same. I don't express my opinion on every issue but when expressly invited, I take a certain pleasure in engaging subjects that I think important.

You'll be happy to know that when you posted your last comment to me I *was*, indeed, safely in bed and sleeping blissfully. While the *decades* of bootmaking (of living) have taken their toll, I credit my eternal good looks and even temper to getting a good night's sleep. It may be too late for you...but it's worth a shot. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
dw
Seanchaidh

#59 Post by dw »

All,

Speaking of Sources...I just got some swatches from Raddatz Leather Company of their *American* Bison. The leather is tanned firm and heavy, and hot stuffed, and has a slight pebble. I think it will make great work boots. Anyone looking for a work leather might consider calling Raddatz and asking for swatches.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
texrobinboots

#60 Post by texrobinboots »

Al,
I think Michael said that. I don't remember...TR
texrobinboots

#61 Post by texrobinboots »

Al,

But I am getting old...Image...TR
dw
Seanchaidh

#62 Post by dw »

Al,

1) I wanted to ask you about hand stitching the Rendenbach. You say it's almost too hard but have you ever tried it? I'm sure you must have. Seems to me that if it's wet or tempered before you start out, and you cut a fairly deep channel in from the edge at an angle (as I think you do), that it might be do-able. You only have half or two-thirds of the sole to go through and the tempering ought to make it a bit easier. I'm seriously considering hand stitching a pair sooner or later, so the question is relevant.

2) Also, I had trouble with the Horween shell cordovan...exactly the same trouble, as you had...as far back as 15 years ago. I've never trusted it since then.

3) I kind of agree with you about England and the rest of Europe. I say "kind of" because I'm not that knowledgable about the subject and would defer to anyone who was more conversant about the way the Brits and the Continentals view themselves. But I'm pretty sure that historically and politically a case can be made. In my mind I make a distinction...right or wrong.

That said, in the context of European goods, I'm pretty open...as I know you are...I use kangaroo from Australia, sole leather from Germany, lining from the US, pegs from Germany, insole leather from England and the US. Calf from France, welting from the US, ostrich from South Africa, tools from Germany, Sweden and England...and hopefully, soon from Switzerland. I've never been one to fall into that trap of using a tool or a leather simply because it was European or Made in the US. There's no special cache in either, as far as I'm concerned.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
texrobinboots

#63 Post by texrobinboots »

DW,Al,

I had the same experience with Shell Cordovan a couple of times back to 30 yrs ago. It ripped when crimping. I contend that it is very good for making shoes and lots of shoes have been made from it but if you try to crimp, it's over. Rip City! It's NOT in my inventory....TR
tmattimore

#64 Post by tmattimore »

I recently recived a sample of sole leather from portugal. Chestnut tanned and well compressed. If any one would like the samples I will be happy to send them to you. I can not use them as they have a 500KG minimum on bends and the freight would be prohibitive. They sell cut soles in smaller quantities. E-mail me if interested tom@civilwarboots.com
Tom Mattimore
texrobinboots

#65 Post by texrobinboots »

Michael,

I am not sure what I have gotten myself into. They said it was 9 degrees there last night and it is not even cold yet. And hey, there is no sun there now. It is dark for 24 hours. I may need some of DWs Peat Juice to keep from freezing. I may even see Santa Claus there! 80 miles from the North Pole!... My moustache may even freeze and fall off....TR
Michael Anthony

#66 Post by Michael Anthony »

Tex,

Like I said before, it will be a pretty picture. I hope that you post the photos on the forum. I think that a good idea would be for you to attach some ear muffs to your cowboy hat and get some battery heated underwear. Make sure that you don't use a battery that is too strong though.

All jokes set aside, you might as well forget about wearing cowboy boots, you'll freeze your toes off. Tex Robin with no toes and no mustache, hmmm? And make sure you use an indoor bathroom because you don't want to lose that.

Talk to you later...

Michael
texrobinboots

#67 Post by texrobinboots »

Michael,
I will probably have to get me one of those caps with the pom pom on top. I wonder if DW would let me borrow his. I think I should have waited till summer! It's 49 degrees here in Coleman and I am freezing in my den. Well, at least there won't be any mosquitoes. I imagine the Cowboy boots will be used for a conversation piece. Have to get me a pair of Cabellas hunting boots. I will have some tales to tell when I get back. Maybe I will bring back some Lapps to help make boots...TR
cmw
Full Name: Chris
Been Liked: 1 time

#68 Post by cmw »

all

I've been away from the computer for a while because of school and tourn.I've read most of whats on the disc.-board.
From what i understand from my boss and teacher in othopedic construction/adj. the standard of hand built shoesher has fallen alot in the last few years. That includes the quality of rubber products leather prod. and the manner of construction. The last has to do with agreement between the larger othepedic companies like "sahva." Because of the last fact, I am working hard at learning what i can before the older fellow retire.
About the brand on the leather, its mostly for the customers use. That way they can make sure that a cobler or shoe maker is using good material.
At work we have a higher class of custumer and they have learned that the Loyds heel is not as good as they tend to think. You get the gist of it.
In short I agree don't be tricked by the word "European"

Tex

Write me before you go to sweden. Denmark is close and we( our martial arts group) has a lot of contacts.

CW
D.A. Saguto--HCC

#69 Post by D.A. Saguto--HCC »

Tex,

I'm sure the Swedes have developed some sort of exotic local anti-freeze to drink to ward off the cold there. I think the Scottish bog-water only works in temperate climates, but you could try it. How do you get shoemakers wax to work in 9 degree weather, and how do you sew in the dark? If you see Santa, tell him my wife needs a new GMC truck for Christmas. Her '86 Volvo is about dead, except the seat-heaters still work.

Burning questions from Virginia, where it's just about 40 degrees, and the leaves are at peak color.

Have fun and best to Janne.
rileycraig
Full Name: Riley G.

#70 Post by rileycraig »

Tex,

Well, not only are you going to freeze your ears, nose and toes, now you have the martial arts experts waiting on you. I'd be very careful if I were you! LOL!

Seriously, have a good trip and take lots of pictures.

Good Bootmaking,

Riley
dw
Seanchaidh

#71 Post by dw »

Tex,

Don't listen to these "foos" it isn't that bad! Hey, wear your straw hat...with pride! And your kangaroo pee wees. And be sure to smear lots of water on your mustache and lips just before you go outside--it keeps your skin nice and moist. Image

BTW...and of of greater importance...did I read that you were related to Janne in some distant fashion? Man, what's with these Swedes? Janne's related to Peter Forsberg and now you're related to Janne...it's worse than the Arkansas Ozarks (sorry, Jake). I guess it's hard to find a mate (who's not your cousin) when you're fumbling around in the dark ten months of the year. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
dw
Seanchaidh

#72 Post by dw »

Ooops!! Have a good trip. Take photos (You'll wish you had a digital---no fumbling with film in the cold wind) And say hi to Janne from all of us.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
texrobinboots

#73 Post by texrobinboots »

Al,

Hopefully I won't have to do any inseaming while there, but with the Black Pine Tar wax with enough beeswax mixed in there should be no trouble with the temp. Or the strings could be used with the Parafin wax as is.

DW,
I have a list of 87 different names that are related to me in some way. One of my ancestors in the 16th century was a soldier for 27 yrs marching up and down the coast Image There could be more bergs, ströms, ssons, than one could imagine.

Riley,
Since there are no guns there, maybe martial arts would be handy. I don't have a black belt. I only have a tan kangaroo one with a brass buckle.

I am not leaving until the last of Dec. There is plenty of time for more suggestions!......TR
cmw
Full Name: Chris
Been Liked: 1 time

#74 Post by cmw »

Tex

Forget the blackbelt and take your long underwear with you. If that is not enough, the drinks called bitters are more than enough to keep you warm. People sometimes start the day with a "morning-beer" or a bitter with thier coffee.
Be warned, if you start the day with that type of Swede you'll have a looooong day.

CW
texrobinboots

#75 Post by texrobinboots »

CW,

Smaka god min kaffe i morgon. Öl inte så bra. Min svenska är inte så bra men skriver inte dansk...TR