Great Leather!

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
alexneviani
Full Name: alex rodriguez

Re: Great Leather!

#726 Post by alexneviani » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:59 pm

DW,

I had already looked at leatherandgrindery located in the UK, but I was unsure if the bends and pre cut soles they sell were the "real" stuff or if they were 1st grade quality from rendenbach. Also, do you or anyone know if Rendenbach has a minimum order? I heard Lisa Sorell received an unrolled shoulder a while back from rondenbach that she thought worked out good for insoles. Do you know what her final thoughts were on it and if she carries rendenbach?

dw
Seanachaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 39 times
Been Liked: 3 times

#727 Post by dw » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:38 pm

I didn't realize that leatherandgrindery was in the UK...although with the name it is obvious in retrospect, as no one in the US calls finders "grinderies". Sorry about that.

But a fair number of shoe repairs in the US use Rendenbach so the wholesalers are carrying it...some of them, at least. B. Nelson in New York uses Rendenbach and might be able to sell you a pair or perhaps even point you to their finder.

Try here

Or here

I don't use Rendenbach outsoling myself...I think it is too "flinty." I get Masur chestnut bends from Milton-Sokol. And the insole shoulder I've seen from Rendenbach was not only too flinty but a little thin for my tastes--I like a 10 iron insole (or even a little bit better).

The best insole shoulder in the world is, IMO, Baker (UK) but there again I like it a bit heavier than what is commonly available in the US. Baker will deal direct and ship to the US and can often supply cut insoles or insole shoulders that are heavier than they advertise. But it takes some perseverance and a wait.

I have used some insole shoulder from Warkov-Safeer in Winnipeg. It seems a little soft at first but firms up when it is wet-shaped to the insole. I generally buy it at 16 ounce and split it to my needs...which, from the margins, can also be toe and heel stiffeners. It makes a terrific footbed. Nassar Vries, a shoemaker in Toronto (?) introduced us/me to it.

All the really top notch, cachet stuff, however--Bakers, Rendenbach, Garat--comes from overseas.
DWFII--HCC Member
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.

Arttu
Full Name: Arttu Kuisma
Been Liked: 2 times

#728 Post by Arttu » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:53 am

I'm getting back into shoemaking (as a hobby), this time hopefully with proper tools and materials. I'm trying to source insole shoulders and sole bends in Europe and having a hard time. Most don't sell to private customers and the ones that do, take 2 weeks to answer a single simple question, while disregarding the rest of my questions (looking at you, Baker).

At the moment I have 2 choices. Baker in England and Fages&Aiglon in France, who supposedly sell Garat&fils insole shoulders (according to Janne Melkersson, they make fantastic insole leather). Again, it seems very hard to get replies to questions about the products from the sellers. I'm almost tempted to buy from Lisa Sorrell, but it would be silly to buy European materials from the U.S.

Does anyone know of any other tanneries/suppliers who will sell to private customers? I'm looking at buying one shoulder and one bend (or pre-cut insoles and soles) and maybe some welts.

I'm getting frustrated as I really want to make shoes, but getting quality materials seems to be ridiculously hard.

It feels good to be back on this forum, it's definitely one of the most interesting corners of the internet.

anakim
Full Name: Kimberlee Callaghan

#729 Post by anakim » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:52 pm

I ordered from Baker successfully. I am a beginner and individual customer. I say just give them another try or phone them - don't give up. It didn't take too long to deliver to Ireland.

lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 2 times

#730 Post by lancepryor » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:42 pm

I suggest phoning Bakers; speak with Andrew Parr, the co-owner who runs the tannery. I have found that to be far more successful than trying to email them.

You should also be able to find Rendenbach somewhere. I believe their ortho insole shoulders are softer and less flinty than the regular insole leather, which can be a challenge to hand-stitch.

Also, A&A Crack (Northampton leather merchants) list insole leather as a product they sell; I don't know whose leather they sell, but they are easier to do business with than Bakers.

But, I say give Bakers another try.

dw
Seanachaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 39 times
Been Liked: 3 times

#731 Post by dw » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:14 am

I thought I would share this resource with folks here: From what I can see this is a US base grindery that is trying to cater to high end shoe and bootmakers rather than shoe repair. Some beautiful European upper leathers (including vegs) and some unique tools and interesting adjuncts (cement, etc.). And while this may be old hat to some, it is new to me and I respect them for catering a bit upscale, as who should say. I hope they thrive.

Rocky Mountain Leather Supply
DWFII--HCC Member
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.

martin
Full Name: Martin Moser
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 4 times

#732 Post by martin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Interesting, thanks for sharing!