Inseaming Awls

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
bdadamovicz
Full Name: blake dustin adams

Re: Inseaming Awls

#76 Post by bdadamovicz »

Good news fellows, the group buy came in today. I have most of it packaged with the exception of an error in my math. I added up 5 short somehow so unless I've packaged some extra to somebody I'll get those 5 from my package when it gets here.

I didn't get in tonight until almost 7:30 so I haven't had a chance to get to the post office to get weights so I can find out how much shipping is but I should be able to do that tomorrow evening.

These actually aren't in boxes but folded paper so I'll also double check and make sure there are 50 in the packs but I don't think there should be a problem.

That being said expect a total price in the next day or two and we can have this all wrapped up.

BDA
dmcharg
Full Name: Duncan McHarg
Been Liked: 21 times

#77 Post by dmcharg »

G'day Cody, Glad you liked it.
I've had one or two miss tempered and get too soft in the bend as well. You can, either, remove the awl from the haft, or rap a piece of wire around the haft (as a 'pan handle'), submerge the haft in a tub of cold water, and re-heat and re-temper.
Now for those who don't have lathes for making their hafts on, here's what I made for less than $10 and in around 4-5 hours. The hafts in my photo above were made on this, along with a lidded container for my wax, and lace bobbins for my mum. It's a large instructional picture I drew (hope admin doesn't mind. Heck, they can go away and make one too Image ).
15166.jpg

I mention 45# fishing line, but lighter stuff will probably work fine, and flex better. Olive oil on the line will not cause it to slip. In fact it will give it a very long life (verses about 2 hours dry).
And you don't need fancy woodturners chisels with loooong handles. Any length one will do.

Cheers
Duncan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
farmerfalconer
Full Name: Cody Howdy

#78 Post by farmerfalconer »

Fantastic! Actually I have been building one on and off for a year now. Still isnt perfect. tools are the big problem. I just havent gotten around to making them yet. This is new inspiration so Ill get back to work on it.

Thanks,
Cody
bdadamovicz
Full Name: blake dustin adams

#79 Post by bdadamovicz »

Alright all you that were on the group buy for the German awls that have paid I got your awls mailed out today so hopefully they'll get to you by the end of the week. Special thanks to those that rounded up as the USPS website didn't give me a true price but was only off by about 5-10 cents, that extra little bit covered where the website didn't give me the right price.

Alasdair I'm shooting you off an email after this.

BDA
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#80 Post by dw »

Blake,

Thank you for doing this. I have run several Buyer's Consortia for the Guild and the membership of the Colloquy and I know that it is not easy.

I guess that's why it doesn't happen very often.

Again, thank you for your time and your energy.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.[/center]
brooklyn_edie
Full Name: Brooklyn_edie

#81 Post by brooklyn_edie »

BDA,

Thanks for the German awls. I got mine.

I wish I was lerned enough to know quality just by looking at them, but they do seem to be made of very good metal. I look forward to using them.

Much appreciate your efforts.

Edie
athan_chilton
Full Name: Athan Chilton

#82 Post by athan_chilton »

BDA, I second Edie's thanks--looking forward to the luxury of knowing I have more than 2 inseaming awls!
anakim
Full Name: Kimberlee Callaghan
Been Liked: 2 times

#83 Post by anakim »

Hello:

I am wondering what size (length in inches) of inseaming awl, makes a hole size suitable for inseaming shoes. (Someone earlier said 2 mm, but I believe you are all making boots). I believe I will be using 3 strands of hemp. I am a beginner so I could be way off. My leather is around 4 ounces, I think. If there were some indication of the cross section each awl has at the widest point, I would have some idea without troubling you people, but I only see lengths.
I want to buy a box of 12 from Colin Barnsley and want to get a size that is at least in the right ballpark. Ordering individual ones from the US doesn't make economic sense, as I am on the other side of the ocean.

Thank you,

Ana Kim
dw
Seanchaidh

#84 Post by dw »

I don't know that it's so simple. I have inseaming and sewing awls (a less curves curved awl) in a number of sizes. From 3+ inches long to 1-1/4inch long.I use them nearly interchangeably. But when you're working with a thin insole you generally want an awl that is smaller.

I think that three strands of hemp is way too small for inseaming...which traditionally called for something more on the order of 8-10...but naturally, the idea is that the hole made with the awl will be small enough to make pulling both ends of your thread through somewhat difficult--maybe very difficult depending on your handwax and your technique. You want that resistance; you want the thread to fill the hole.

My best advice is to order a selection of awls maybe 2 or three of each length; or of each length in half inch increments. That way you'll not only be able to match the awl to your style, thread and medium but you'll have the flexibility to change up as needed.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
fclasse
Full Name: Francis Classe
Been Liked: 1 time

#85 Post by fclasse »

4oz seems quite lightweight for the insoles of shoes. Are you making light slippers? My insoles are routinely twice that thick, though my work is primarily historical.

Francis

http://www.raisedheels.com
dw
Seanchaidh

#86 Post by dw »

^+1

4oz isn't much more than 1/16 thick. 3 strands of hemp might make sense for that weight but you're in uncharted territory making an inseamed insole that thin. You almost need a cricket awl to inseam with.

Four ounce is more nearly a sockliner than an insole.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
anakim
Full Name: Kimberlee Callaghan
Been Liked: 2 times

#87 Post by anakim »

Thank you for your advice. I will order a range. Sorry to be confusing: the insole is about 6 ounces - though even that is probably thin. I meant that the leather of the upper was about 4 oz.
johnl
Full Name: John Lewis

#88 Post by johnl »

Just came across this on youtube. Never heard anyone say anything about such a tool. Can anyone tell me more? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwH5GPzNVyQ
salsa
Full Name: Richard Castellar

#89 Post by salsa »

johnl wrote:Just came across this on youtube. Never heard anyone say anything about such a tool. Can anyone tell me more? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwH5GPzNVyQ
I can't get the vid to play! Anyone else having problems with it?

From what I can see of the time snaps, it looks like a tool to drive a curved awl through the holdfast. Does it do more than that?

What I can't understand is why a tool like that is needed. Is it so hard to use a hand awl?
johnl
Full Name: John Lewis

#90 Post by johnl »

Its interesting to me to see the ways people come up with to do things.
dw
Seanchaidh

#91 Post by dw »

johnl wrote:Its interesting to me to see the ways people come up with to do things.
I finally got the vid to play. It's interesting alright but it must take twice as long or longer to make one hole with the plyer than to make a hole with a Traditional inseaming awl.

I admire ingenuity and innovation but like so many of these things if you resort to using such tools you cheat yourself of the fine motor control that you gain by learning to do it by hand. Control and skill that will serve you in good stead in every step of boot or shoemaking.

just my :2cents:
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
LarryPeterson
Full Name: Larry Peterson

#92 Post by LarryPeterson »

bdadamovicz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 pm wrote:Good news fellows, the group buy came in today. I have most of it packaged with the exception of an error in my math. I added up 5 short somehow so unless I've packaged some extra to somebody I'll get those 5 from my package when it gets here.

I didn't get in tonight until almost 7:30 so I haven't had a chance to get to the post office to get weights so I can find out how much shipping is but I should be able to do that tomorrow evening.

These actually aren't in boxes but folded paper so I'll also double check and make sure there are 50 in the packs but I don't think there should be a problem.

That being said expect a total price in the next day or two and we can have this all wrapped up.

BDA
Friend BLAKE.
I didn't get in on the awl purchase but I thought I would ask if there were any still available?. If not, is your source still selling inseamming awls?

Thank you, Larry Peterson
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#93 Post by lancepryor »

Larry:

FWIW, these awls were fairly small, not sure they are suitable for inseaming. I believe they are around 2.75" in length, definitely smaller than what I use for inseaming.

I bought 10 of these; I would be willing to part with a couple, if you're interested. Just let me know if you would like them.

Lance
dw
Seanchaidh

#94 Post by dw »

lancepryor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:38 am wrote:Larry:

FWIW, these awls were fairly small, not sure they are suitable for inseaming. I believe they are around 2.75" in length, definitely smaller than what I use for inseaming.

I bought 10 of these; I would be willing to part with a couple, if you're interested. Just let me know if you would like them.

Lance
I bought a few of these too. I thought they were a bit small, as well, but curiously enough the older I get the smaller an awl I like. I've taken to "sharpening" all my older, larger awls to reduce the diameter and make the tip less of a blade and more of a point...ala German inseaming awls.

The smaller the hole in the insole, the tighter the stitch. That's the theory anyway.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
LarryPeterson
Full Name: Larry Peterson

#95 Post by LarryPeterson »

Lance, I would be interested!! Please email me your mailing address and how much to send to cover cost and shipping. Thank you for your generous offer.
Best wishes, Larry Peterson
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#96 Post by lancepryor »

Larry:

I sent you a PM but haven't heard back from you.

Let me know if you didn't get the message, or if you've changed your mind about these.

Lance
Crack3r
Full Name: Graham Ebner

#97 Post by Crack3r »

Fellows,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this,

I'm looking for an inseaming awl, my first. I'll be working solely (solely, ha!) on men's boots. I believe I'm looking for something like a #2, but I'm also interested in a few lengths/sizes if anyone has some for sale.

I've been scouring eBay but no luck, thus far. I definitely know of Dick Anderson's awls but I'd like to find a used one or two before I treat myself to one of his.

Thanks!
New Era Leather
Full Name: Kiran Vallabh

#98 Post by New Era Leather »

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. :tiphat:
I have some German awl blades(Platt-Ahlen) and also (King of awls)
If anyone is interested please send me an email.
A leather company closed down in South Africa and I bought the lot.
dw
Seanchaidh

#99 Post by dw »

If you have photos and descriptions, by all means post them.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
New Era Leather
Full Name: Kiran Vallabh

#100 Post by New Era Leather »

Please see pictures as requested.
If there is a requirement for further pictures with different sizes please let know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.