Shoe machines

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
artvanhecke
Full Name: Arthur Van Hecke

Re: Shoe machines

#451 Post by artvanhecke »

Hi Petra,

The 618 is a machine made by Highlead that is a flat bed needle feed walking foot machine in no way related to the 24618. The 618 is very popular as a medium duty machine for leatherwork and canvaswork. The Highlead 24618 aka Ankai AK-8810 is a very good post machine and around $2300 (maybe more now, they just had a 7-15 percent increase) and is the spitting image of the Pfaff 491. I think the Leather Machine Co. in Ontario California has one if you can get down there. Finding one to try out is the hard part.

Art
bluecarpenter
Full Name: Mark Tucker

#452 Post by bluecarpenter »

Ok I just got an american straight needle stitching machine for cheap. where do I get the liquid wax for it, or can I use prewaxed thread? thanks mark
artvanhecke

#453 Post by artvanhecke »

Hi Mark,

I have been using Campbell's Thread Lubricant in my Campbell using Barbour's linen thread. Works for me.

http://www.campbell-bosworth.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/3_59/products_id /1187?osCsid=6funrp8ns28q5o8mgjeut4ef76

Art
bluecarpenter
Full Name: Mark Tucker

#454 Post by bluecarpenter »

ok thanks. where are you getting the barbour's linen thread at. And will the thread lubricant work with synthetic thread. thanks mark
artvanhecke

#455 Post by artvanhecke »

Same place as the lube. It works fine with Eddington stranded poly. I don't lube the bobbin.

Art
d2don
Full Name: Don Lamson

#456 Post by d2don »

Hi All,
I make custom cycling shoes and have some extra machines to get rid of. Included is a last lathe suitable for samples and custom lasts. Check out the website for more info.
Thanks,
Don Lamson
www.d2shoe.com
www.d2shoe.com/home/equipment
last_maker

#457 Post by last_maker »

Don,

Small world, I just stumbled upon your site today while poking around, I was about to let everyone know about your stuff for sale when I scrolled down and low and behold there you were!

Marlietta
Lastmakingschool.com
kevin_l
Full Name: Kevin W. Leary

#458 Post by kevin_l »

Good Afternoon world!

I'm a fresh blood NEWBIE looking for a boot finisher.

You all know what I need better than I. Transportation of a Landis 400/450 could be a consideration. I'm smack dab in the middle of Illinois. Then of course the $10,000 home improvements to get it in the basement.LOL

I think a decent 1250 is about right, but will listen to advice. that's a new thing i'm trying.

OH and I need a 5/1. WELL... I WANT ONE.

Kevin
gshoes
Full Name: Geraldine Rabey

#459 Post by gshoes »

Welcome Kevin
artvanhecke

#460 Post by artvanhecke »

Oh Well, I've went and done it. I am the owner of 3 Auto-Soler machines. Don't ask me why, they were there, one is a boot nailer, one is a Speedmaster, and the third doesn't have a name on it. Numbers one and three are in the best condition. Mind you, I haven't put anything except brass clinchers in a shoe before, but mostly pegs.

So, can anyone tell me what all the adjustments and gizmos on these machines are for? Anyone know where to get a manual?

I am in the same boat with a United Shoe Repair Repco KcKay chain stitcher. Anyone know where to get a manual. Is it like anything else, maybe a Champion 77 or a McKay 88?

Helllllllllllp?

Art
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#461 Post by romango »

Arthur,

There are many manuals here: http://www.bootmaker.com/manuals.htm
artvanhecke

#462 Post by artvanhecke »

Thanks Rick, but nothing there.

Art
jim_b

#463 Post by jim_b »

I have some of these. Send me an email requesting which machines and help you need and I will send pdf's and info.
artvanhecke

#464 Post by artvanhecke »

Thanks Jim,

I'll send some photos of what I've got, the boot nailer is a lot like the one you have on your website, but has a few more controls. There seem to be three "anvils" for the other two machines and something that rotates into place below the nailer head for some reason or another, could this be a "fence". By the questions I am asking, it becomes pretty obvious that I haven't got a clue. And I don't have a shoe repair shop close by to pester with questions.

Thanks,
Art
producthaus
Full Name: Nick Hausman

#465 Post by producthaus »

I'd like to offer up sale of the following items:

Artisan 5110 post-bed machine (like new)
Artisan skiving machine (like new)
Complete set of shoemaking tools - mostly Barnsley, some C.S. Osborne, about 30 - 40 pieces total.

While maybe not the right forum, I also have a few hides of Horween (Latigo, Chromexcel), 1 each brown/black calfskin, 4 pieces of lining. 2 pieces of Burgandy Horween shell. Few pieces of Warkov insole/soling.

I live in san francisco in terms of local pick up, or shipping as necessary. You can PM or email me to get pricing, pictures and a complete list of tools and leather.

All machines and tools were purchased over the past two years and have had light use.

Shoemaking has been a great hobby to get into over the past few years, but other time and cost commitments have persuaded me to exit the trade.
jules

#466 Post by jules »

Hey everyone, I am new here, as well as to the craft. I have been a leathersmith for years, but have just crossed in to the art of shoe making. I am keeping it simple for awhile by making boat shoes.
I picked up a few machines from an old shop and am now scratching my head trying to figure out how to use them... I got a Landis 12 G and a champion 77 mckay. I think I need to use the champion for the type of work I am doing. I have never used a chainstitch in all my years of sewing... it is frustrating me. anyone out there know of this machine and could answer some of my questions??????? please and thank you,
Jules
donrwalker
Full Name: Donald Ross Walker

#467 Post by donrwalker »

Jules

I don't want to sound discouraging but if the 77 is not in really good shape it can be a real pain.. I sold one for scrap last year after fighting it for a long time. I now have a Sutton/Landis lock stitch Mckay and I haven't had to kick my dog or my wife in quite a while.
Good Luck

Don
producthaus
Full Name: Nick Hausman

#468 Post by producthaus »

Skiving and post machine are gone, tools are still available.
13952.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mjb

#469 Post by mjb »

looking for a SOLE PRESS and a ductless charcoal FUME HOOD - any ideas appreciated

Meredith

Atlanta GA
770-491-1618
hidesmith
Full Name: Bruce Graham

#470 Post by hidesmith »

I have a downdraft charcoal table made by Airflow Systems Inc. It was relatively expensive, maybe $2500, but it keeps the fumes out of the house - even though I WORK in the house! I looked around for quite a long time before I bought it, the only other systems I could find were exorbitant or too large. Shoe Systems had a used one that I thought about, but freight would have been prohibitive.
I also put furnace filters on the top of the table and use it when sanding. That works well, too.
jules

#471 Post by jules »

Hey Don,
Thanks.... I guess. I am kinda wishing I had waited for a lockstitch, I just have a little more understanding of that type of mechanics... but I will not give up.
She sounds good, and it all seems to be working... I just have a problem with build up of the thread on the needle. Another member seems to think it could be my Cast off. Have you had any similar problems?
Jules
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#472 Post by das »

Julia,

While chain-stitching is inherently weaker than lock-stitching, at least more apt to "run" if one stitch breaks, do not be too hasty for a lock-stitch MacKay. Set-up well with a strong braided poly thread ("Kantstrand", etc.), chain-stitching is preferable because it's more flexible.

I've seen lots of very nice lock-stitch MacKay sewing, but it's often too tight, and prevents the soles from flexing. Keep the stitches long and the tension down or very stiff bottoms will result. Just my 2 cents.
donrwalker
Full Name: Donald Ross Walker

#473 Post by donrwalker »

I agree Mr. Saguto, but in my experience (limited to 2 Champion 77s)when the 77 has been worn out it is nearly impossible to sew with unless completely rebuilt which is prhibitivly expensive assuming you can find someone to rebuild it.

Yes, the cast off was one of the many problems I had.
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray
Been Liked: 1 time

#474 Post by jon_g »

I've made the decision to purchase a skiving machine for my shop. I'm looking at two options, a used Fortuna machine, or a new Artisan. They come out around the same price. I would like to know the opinions of this group. I'm not too familiar with skiving machines although I have tried a couple so if you can fill me in on the ins and outs I'd appreciate that too.

Jon
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#475 Post by dw »

Jon,

If the Artisan is a close enough knock-off of the Fortuna that the critical parts--the skiving bell, feed rolls and presserfeet--are interchangeable, then the Artisan will probably be more than acceptable. At least you won't be "borrowing trouble."

The Fortuna is a really, really well made machine, however. The engineering is precise and the workmanship clean. I can't speak to the Artisan. Fortuna parts are readily available and again, are of the highest quality.

Skiving machines are a bit touchy. Whoever invented the bell skiver was a genius but didn't make it easy for those of us of average wit.

That said, I have two--a Fortuna and a Pedersen--and, when they are properly adjusted, they make things easy.

And when you're done sweeping up the scraps there is literally no difference in the results relative to skiving by hand...no, I take that back--the skiving machine will skive more evenly and more consistently that any of us can by hand.

Having said that, I would never recommend purchasing a skiving machine until you know how to skive very, very well by hand (I am sure that you do). If only because there are leathers and situations when the machine won't answer. Always run a test piece through the machine.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Little Jack Dandiprat in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives, the shorter he grows.[/center]