Around the shop

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

Re: Around the shop

#151 Post by sorrell »

Jon,
What a beautiful shop...congratulations!

Lisa
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray
Been Liked: 1 time

#152 Post by jon_g »

Thanks Lisa,

I saw in a picture of your shop what looks like a great way to store thread, hopefully it won't be too long before I see a system like that at my place. Also I enjoy seeing your daughter learn the craft. It's something I hope my own daughters will do, whether or not they become shoemakers for their careers, it seems like a good way to share something with them as they grow up.

Jesse, the stove is also a great way to heat up lunch, and I've even been known to cook kebabs in it when the conditions are right.

Now...the ubiquitous facebook page, look up "Jon Gray Handmade Shoes" I hope lots of you facebook users will join.
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#153 Post by romango »

My antique shoemakers nail holder off eBay. Nice!
13724.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
michael_nash

#154 Post by michael_nash »

Here are some pictures of the shop I've put together over the past year. This first one is of my 31-15 I had all tricked out..
13902.jpg

(Message edited by Michael_nash on August 22, 2011)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
michael_nash

#155 Post by michael_nash »

13904.jpg
michael_nash

#156 Post by michael_nash »

13906.jpg
michael_nash

#157 Post by michael_nash »

13908.jpg
michael_nash

#158 Post by michael_nash »

13910.jpg
michael_nash

#159 Post by michael_nash »

13912.jpg
michael_nash

#160 Post by michael_nash »

13914.jpg
michael_nash

#161 Post by michael_nash »

Sorry Admin..I forgot to resize this one. Please delete

(Message edited by Michael_nash on August 22, 2011)
michael_nash

#162 Post by michael_nash »

The next three pics are of what was my bedroom.. I recently moved the shop in here for more room and ventilation. Better isolation from the neighbors as well..
13918.jpg
michael_nash

#163 Post by michael_nash »

13920.jpg
michael_nash

#164 Post by michael_nash »

michael_nash

#165 Post by michael_nash »

Now I have room for a finisher, solepress and McKay Image
13923.jpg
courtney
Full Name: courtney schamach

#166 Post by courtney »

Michael, that looks beautiful! I cant possibly imagine it staying that clean though if one pair of shoes in my garage is any indicator, maybe you have a more high tech extraction system than the grocery bag taped to my belt sander.

Courtney
michael_nash

#167 Post by michael_nash »

Thanks Courtney! I get plenty of use from my shop vac when its not catching my sander dust Image The shop is still a wreck from yesterdays heel building!
romango

#168 Post by romango »

My improved gluing station. With this setup I can not smell any glue at all.

It's built on a standard "Gorrilla Rack" with mostly scrap wood. There is a cheap bathroom fan inside the lower portion that is vented outside.
14206.jpg

Looking from the top, slots in the front and the back draw the fumes down and generally create a positive airflow into the front of the hood. A switch on the side turns on both the fan and lights.

The glass panel has an unexpected advantage that I now will lean in over my work for a better view. Whereas before I had the hood I would sort of pull my head back and breath sideways to avoid fumes.
14207.jpg
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#169 Post by dw »

Rick,

I like it! I wish I had one. (I wish I had room for one.)

Can you do spray dying under there, as well?

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Little Jack Dandiprat in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives, the shorter he grows.[/center]
romango

#170 Post by romango »

I would think so, other tan any concern about getting dye all over the inside of the hood that might cause problems later.
large_shoemaker_at_large
Full Name: Brendan Balon
Been Liked: 1 time

#171 Post by large_shoemaker_at_large »

Rick.

I have made a few glueing tables.

Caution!! make sure your fan does not have a motor in the duct line. It is potential source of a fire/explosion.

And depending were the fan located is were the type of motor needed. Totally Enclosed Fan Motor, or a squirrel cage.

It is a good brain cell saving device to have. Just some info. you need about 150 CFM per SQ foot of opening. So if you can enclose 5 sides of the hood it keeps fan size down.
also suck the fumes down. Solvents of this type are mostly heavier than air so they want to fall.

I would not try a lot of spraying. your insurance company may take a dim view.

Regards

Brendan
romango

#172 Post by romango »

Brendan,

Thanks for the tips. My table does suck the fumes down but my fan motor is exposed to fumes. I've used it this way for many years and never had any explosion problems. I suspect the amount of solvent coming off my brush and work never reaches the lower explosion limits.

But, you are correct. This is not a good situation. My next step will be to get a safe fan situation and up the CFM. Although I'm happy just to not smell the fumes. Most makers I know are just using the glue out in the open in their shops.
rosesj

#173 Post by rosesj »

I thought of something like this, using Peg Board as the base... I've been hesitant thought because I wonder if having TOO MANY holes would actually impede its effectiveness. Maybe block some of the wholes with strips of tape on the backside or something. Given the relative rarity I glue... I was just going to duct it to a window and use my 'shop vac' when necessary.

Anyone ever tried this?
romango

#174 Post by romango »

My original setup was using a fluorescent lighting fixture grill from Home Depot on top of a piece of wood that kept the grill raised above the surface.
Suction was greatest where the large square hole is. I'd say this got 85% of the fumes, which is sure better than nothing.
14209.jpg

14210.jpg
rosesj

#175 Post by rosesj »

Why did you switch?