Around the shop

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: Around the shop

#51 Post by lancepryor »

I don't know if the following would be of any interest to anyone else, but DW's recent discussion of the importance of sharpening has led me to spend some time attempting to improve my skills -- or lack thereof -- in this area.

In any event, the on-line retailer Sierra Trading Post has 8 inch translucent Arkansas whetstones/benchstones on sale very inexpensively (below $20 each), as well as some smaller sizes and different stones. These are cosmetic seconds but I have a couple and they seem very good to me, with perhaps a small crack in them that wouldn't seem to affect their performance.

Go to www.sierratradingpost.com and do a search for "dan" which will generate the appropriate listings.

Sierra has a VERY accomodating return policy, and return shipping is only $5, so there is little risk in ordering.

[Just to be clear, I have no commercial interest in the Sierra business.]
marcell

#52 Post by marcell »

I remake my web page in the recent few days. I decided not to make a shoe from every model, as I am not sure that I can sell them. ON the other hand I can't say to all my customers that "we can do whatever you want", as they don't know what they want.. old problem..

So I made drawing from all the models I found out (still wokring on it) and this way they can take a look, but there are still place to imagine with different leathers, colours, technlogies..

I am interested to hear your opinions too, so please...
marcell

#53 Post by marcell »

(Message edited by Marcell on January 16, 2008)
marcell

#54 Post by marcell »

6677.jpg
6678.jpg
6679.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
relferink

#55 Post by relferink »

Marcell,

I like the drawings. With my customers I find that they find it hard to "translate" a drawing into a shoe and are sometimes very surprised when the shoe is ready. As time goes by and you make the models it may be helpful for your customers to see a picture as well but I agree that it is not always a good investment to make a sample for every model you offer.
It may be helpful to show them at least a few pictures of shoes and the matching drawing to give them an idea on how to interpret the drawings.

Just my Image

Rob

PS is the watermark in the paper your company logo? Nice touch.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#56 Post by dw »

Marcell,

I read in another forum (Style Forum) that you don't use a computer to generate theses drawing. I'm amazed...very clean work.

That said...and just a thought...if you could take a photo of one shoe in a particular style, say a capped oxford and could then bring it into a program such as Photoshop or PhotoPaint or PaintShopPro or even the Gimp (free)...and you took the time to learn the technique, you could use that shoe over and over again just changing the colours. You could even change just the cap and leave the rest original. And one step beyond that is to photograph exotic skins such as alligator or snake and with a little effort you could take the photograph of a calf derby and convert it into an alligator derby.

You could even take your drawings and scan them into a drawing program such as Illustrator or CorelDraw or Inkscape (free) and change the colours...just to show your customers what the shoe would look like in a green, for instance. It's not as realistic as the photo techniques but instructive all the same.

Just a thought...

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#57 Post by romango »

I came across this knife in my local hardware store. Looks like a national brand. It makes light work of cutting the thickest of leather. Very nice for trimming the insole feather to the last.

It has snap off blades but I suspect they could be sharpened, if one were clever.
6768.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mac
Full Name: Sean MacMillan

#58 Post by mac »

Rick,

I use one of these knives all of the time in my shop... I've never used the hook blade though... Darn it, why didn't I think of that??? I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow morning! BTW the straight olfa blades come in a harder steel variety ( I think it's called contactor grade or some such thing) Perhaps this blade comes in the same?

Sean
guy_shannon

#59 Post by guy_shannon »

I use that knife all the time as well but with the black blades they are very sharp. I filited my thumb doing repairs to Redwing work boots with that knife. 7 stitches Thanksgiving Day 2003. Be very careful and if the blade is dry it drags oil it before use and you can cut through anything.

Guy Shannon
mac
Full Name: Sean MacMillan

#60 Post by mac »

Yep,

It's the black blades I was talking about.

Sean
jesselee
Full Name: Jesse Lee Cantrell

#61 Post by jesselee »

All. Anyone use the old style 'hook' knives made by Hyde (?). I still have one that I used 25 years ago. They can be ground down and shaped as you please.

Guy- You are so right about using a little oil for a slick cut (such as sole or inner sole leather). I use Neetsfoot oil for this.

JesseLee
guy_shannon

#62 Post by guy_shannon »

Hi JesseLee.

You can still get Hyde knives or at least a reasonable representation of them. I have an old Hyde lip knife that I could shave my head with....I'll keep useing my razor.

I'll be at Labelle during the first week in Febuary if you want me to check for you. I can send one down to you if you want.

Guy
homeboy
Full Name: Jake Dobbins
Has Liked: 111 times
Been Liked: 30 times

#63 Post by homeboy »

I got a chance to work with Renia's new cement...Ortec. The great thing about this cement is it's Toluene-free! Suppose to stick to anything, AND it dries clear!

Bottomed out a pair of boots this afternoon. I was impressed! You can work pretty darn fast with it, and it sticks good! By the way, I was working with leather.

Good luck!
homeboy

#64 Post by homeboy »

I'm sorry....upon further research, I noticed it won't bond on plastified PVC.
big_larry
Full Name: Larry A. Peterson

#65 Post by big_larry »

Jake,

Does this new Ortec stick as good as all purpose for heels? I use A.P. for everything instead of managing two glue bottles.

Thanx, Larry Peterson
homeboy

#66 Post by homeboy »

Hey Larry,

Funny you should ask. I'll be stacking some heels tomorrow. My guess is...yes, it will stick as good as A.P. Like I said, it looks very promising. Will give you a complete report tomorrow night.

Adios, Jake
homeboy

#67 Post by homeboy »

Larry,

Stacked a few lifts today. The jury is still out on the Ortec. As you probably know, I "hammer-jack" all my lifts. During the process, I sometimes "cup" the lifts. This makes them really hard to glue down since they are truly hard as a board.

I had to work pretty hard to get a few of the lifts to stay down. Don't know if I was working too fast, or the cement wasn't up to snuff.

Give me some time. I'll have ya an answer one of these days. Just don't want to speak too soon.

Take care!
marcell

#68 Post by marcell »

7278.jpg

New stuff in my workshop. Originally it has been used for a special type of press glue. I will show you soon how I use it..
marcell

#69 Post by marcell »

And a crimping board - I asked an old shoe technician guy to make it for me. He made a perfect job.
7308.jpg
mack
Full Name: Jim McCormack

#70 Post by mack »

7337.jpg

Just received these from the U.S. My interest was in the awl handles and blades, the other bits and bobs were thrown in gratis. They are good quality awl blades, the names stamped on them are unknown to me but I guess they are no longer made,a shame as quality tools are hard to find these days.
Regards Mack.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#71 Post by dw »

Mack,

Looks like you got a "find." Might be several stitch pricks in the lot. Any doubles?

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#72 Post by dearbone »

7388.jpg

I made two of these boards recently from an old Oak table top than a shoe diaplay and now I make tool handles and boards like this out of it,(not fine finish yet) my old one was breaking after many years of service, This holy Oak was born before me and it probably will out live me.
romango

#73 Post by romango »

I had this sign made for my garage shop. It's mostly so people know they are in the right place when they come to see me. A guy in Ashland, Oregon makes these type of vintage signs. This cost me $158. delivered. A great bargain. http://www.tomsvintagesigns.com/storefront1.html

The shoe on the sign was inspired by one of the shoes that Marcell posted in the gallery. (Thanks Marcell).
7600.jpg

(Message edited by romango on June 03, 2008)
relferink

#74 Post by relferink »

Rick,

That is a very nice sign. Is it carved? In the picture it seems to have "depth" to it.
Never mind it doesn't feature your shoe, gives you inspiration every time you open up the shop.

Rob
romango

#75 Post by romango »

It's only carved around the edges of the banner, a bit. The guy does nice work.