Awl Haft

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

Awl Haft

#1 Post by admin »

I have moved fifty plus posts(everything prior to 25 February 2002) to the CD archive.

Admin
jake
Full Name: Jake

Re: Awl Haft

#2 Post by jake »

Lookie here what Dick Anderson has come up with....it's a different design for an awl haft. It's made to a customer's specific request. I'm confident he can make one to suit your needs.
2682.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
j1a2g3

#3 Post by j1a2g3 »

I justed recieved this beauty!!! I just love the curve of this awl. Thank you Dick Anderson!!!!
4644.jpg

(Message edited by j1a2g3 on January 03, 2007)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#4 Post by dw »

Joel,

I love that old style haft...it may interest you to know that these are patterned after a haft that was discovered in a dig in Virginia (Jamestown I think it was and I think the original was circa 1600's)

When they fit your hand I think they are the most comfortable style to use. The base (the "mushroom" ) should fit in the palm of your hand and the thumb and first two fingers should comfortably nestle around the ferrule.

Push with the palm and never "lever" the awl...you'll break the blade.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
jkrichard
Full Name: Jeffrey K Richard

#5 Post by jkrichard »

I was on the phone earlier tonight with Mr. Dick Anderson--- I have my square awl and haft, and curve awl and haft ordered. I am ridiculously excited!
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#6 Post by romango »

Jeffrey,

Did your square awl come from Dick? Can you post a picture of it?
jkrichard
Full Name: Jeffrey K Richard

#7 Post by jkrichard »

Not yet Rick. He said he had to make the awls and hafts ( I requested cocobo (sp?) after seeing one here in the archives (I believe it was DW's?). They should be in my hands in about a week or so.

I will gladly post pictures once I get them.
johnl
Full Name: John Lewis

#8 Post by johnl »

Well, I have not made any shoes or boots, but I have been knocking out a few awl hafts. Here are some that I made over the last week. There is no finish applied on them yet. That will be up to the end user. The first 7 left to right on the top are beech. The next 2 on the top are zebra wood. The two on the bottom are osage orange.
John Lewis
10734.jpg
producthaus
Full Name: Nick Hausman

#9 Post by producthaus »

Could anyone provide additional guidance for making a haft and ferrule? I have access to lathes and wanted to give this a go. What does the ID (inside diameter) of the brass ferrule need to be? I read posts about friction fitting – the pilot hole is a bit smaller than the diameter of the awl, and you hammer the haft onto the awl which is secured in a vice.

Is it up to the maker as to how the ferrule should secure into the haft?

This is a longer term project, Dick Anderson and Hale & Co will support my mid and near term haft needs.
11558.jpg
johnl

#10 Post by johnl »

I have probably made as many bad hafts as anyone.
Things I do, and things I have learned so far.
Overall length of the haft from top to end of the ferrule 3 1//4 to 3/12" in length. Mushroom, or head of haft from 3/4" to 1 1/8" Dia. About 1" is good. Body of haft no larger in dia. than "top or mushroom". Any larger, and you run the risk of not being able to lay the haft down far enough when using it.
Entire top and edges should be well rounded with no sharp edges that will dig into your hand while using it.
Wood, Beech best from user standpoint. Other close grain hardwoods can be used, but you can run into problems putting the awl in and replacing it if the wood is too hard.
Ferrules, Mine are brass, 1/2" OD with a 5/16" ID
Taper on the ferrule is about 4 degrees. Length 1" or slightly less. Brass is hard to drill unless you have modified the tip or your drill bit, use a special straight flute bit, or an end cutting endmill as a drill bit. A wooden "nub" is on the end of the haft and fits the entire length of the ferrule.
I counter bore just a little on the haft end of the ferrule in case a little wood gets shoved up there when fitting the ferrule on the haft. Friction fit is good if you are precise in your sizing the wood nub. Else "liquid Steel" is your friend. Have had luck getting the wood nub slightly oversize, heating the ferrule and then driving it on to shrink fit when it cools.

John
courtney
Full Name: courtney schamach

#11 Post by courtney »

I just tried to post this, guess it didnt take.

I found a cool website called
www.cordwainertools.com
they sell skiving knives, feathering knives, inseaming awls, etc.
I think its the guy that made tools for Koronya.

Courtney
farmerfalconer
Full Name: Cody Howdy

#12 Post by farmerfalconer »

So do you put the ferrule into the haft and then the blade into the ferrule? So from the drawing it looks like the ferrule is ground into a taper instead of the ferrule being a truncated cone of brass that is put on the out side of the all to prevent it from splitting. Is that right? were ddo you all get the steel for your blades? Also do you turn the wood green or seasoned?
Thanks,
Cody
johnl

#13 Post by johnl »

Cody, I make my own awl handles as well as the ferrule. On mine, the awl handle has a 5/16" X 1" long wood stub coming out from the handle. The ferrule is turned from a piece of 1/2" brass round bar. It is bored all the way through with a 5/16" hole. The outside is tapered mainly to look good. The purpose of the ferrule is to help prevent splitting, (at least on mine). Once the ferrule is mounted on the handle, I bore a tiny hole in the center of the wood stub. The awl blade is put in a vise with the back end facing up. The end of the awl is placed into the tiny hole I drilled in the handle and then I use a plastic or rubber mallet to drive the handle onto the blade. Wood can be turned either green or seasoned, but I would turn only seasoned, as cracks can happen as the wood dries. I have not heard of anyone making their own blades, but get them from Edwin Hale, or Thornapple River boots or a few other places. If I was going to try to make them, I believe that I would try music wire in the correct size. You would have to aneal it, work it, and then reharden and temper which can prove to be tricky.
John L
chuck_deats

#14 Post by chuck_deats »

John,
Sounds like a good plan. Just one auggestion. Music wire is generally severely cold worked mild steel. Once it is annealed, cannot be rehardened. Would recommend O-1 drill rod which is readily available, annealed when you buy it, and can be hardened and tempered.
Chuck
farmerfalconer
Full Name: Cody Howdy

#15 Post by farmerfalconer »

John, Chuck,
Thanks!
Thats interesting that music wire is just work hardened.