Looking for...

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
dw
Seanachaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 39 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: Looking for...

#1226 Post by dw » Wed May 06, 2015 9:08 am

The Chinese lasting pincers in your original post on this subject would be far, far, better than all the make-shift alternatives you have mentioned. If it were me, I'd buy a narrow jawed version and a wide jawed version. (I actually have 14 pairs of pincers in three different styles, distributed between two work stations...don't get me started on hammers :) ).

The Swedish/German/Berg style pincers are good but not cheap ordinarily. Even those coming out of Eastern Europe are going to be more than you're looking at in the original post.

My feeling is...and I apologize if this seems confrontational (I'm just trying to give the best advice I can from over 45 years experience)...is that if you're not ready to commit to the physical, mental and monetary investment necessary to acquire proper shoemaking tools, you should probably be looking at another trade.

Just my personal opinion...take it for what it's worth.
DWFII--HCC Member
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.

dub
Full Name: John Deyali

#1227 Post by dub » Wed May 06, 2015 9:38 am

Meh, I know that is the proper advice. It's just that I'm poor, and I've been lucky enough to be able to gather most of the other things I'll need for shoemaking for very cheap. Maybe I'll just have to shell out for proper $100 pliers (which likely means ~$40 Chinese pliers with a European brand name tacked on + $60 other costs), though I think just about half the posts on any diy forum is that very reply, "pay up". And yet when somebody tries doing it for cheap, it is often a celebrated success.

You probably outbid me on all those 14 eBay pliers - that's why they are so expensive :rofl:

I know there was another member who welded himself a combination hammer+pliers from regular pliers. They seemed to work fine.

I still don't understand the purpose of curved jaws. Is it just a way to get a ~45 degree angle but keeping the structure strong?

dw
Seanachaidh

#1228 Post by dw » Wed May 06, 2015 10:16 am

dub » Wed May 06, 2015 9:38 am wrote:
I still don't understand the purpose of curved jaws. Is it just a way to get a ~45 degree angle but keeping the structure strong?
The curved jaws pull the leather without risking the leather ripping on the leading edge of the jaws. It's a "line of force" thing...even if you carefully sand and polish the edge of the jaws on a regular pair of pliers, the chances that the leather being pulled will rip are far greater than with a curved jawed pincer.

When the pincer pulls straight upward, as it does with curved jaws, there is less resistance of the leather on the side of the last, less friction and the leather slides/moves easier.

Also the hammer on the pincers is...can be...used to lever the leather...generating more movement/pull/tension than a straight pull can create.
DWFII--HCC Member
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.

grumpyguy
Full Name: John I B Dugaw

#1229 Post by grumpyguy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:51 pm

Last nails, anyone have a good place to try? I am looking for round headless 1 in (2,5cm) with 1/20th in (1,2 to 1,4mm) in diameter.

And I would appreciate some advice on metal. Brassed steel seem to be what I look at in Laszlo Vass & Magda Molnar's book "Handmade Shoes for Men" though videos Marcel Mrsan posts appear to be steel. I found a supplier in France who has blued nails, steel, brass, copper, and brassed steel.

Specifically I am looking for a stateside supplier with nails that match what I am looking to find. I have tried lasting with wrought triangular and four sided nails of proper length, but they don't "feel right". As I was playing with some finishing brads on a beater last I have it "felt right" but I noticed that they had a tendency to impart color to the leather I was using.

Phew, that was harder to post than you might think as a newbie.

Regards,

John
Covington WA

dw
Seanachaidh

#1230 Post by dw » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:57 pm

I'm not sure what you want or what you're going to use them for but I have a source for lasting brads--1.25", 18guage, round shank steel brads with a small head. They look like fine finish nails. I use them for lasting shoes esp. around the heel and toe. I drive them in, particularly in the center of pipes and bend them towards center of the insole.

Email me.
DWFII--HCC Member

LarryPeterson
Full Name: Larry Peterson

#1231 Post by LarryPeterson » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:42 pm

I am trying to find a place to order some "Champion #3 needles. My search engines and old sources have dried up. If any one could assist me, "Much Gratitude"

Best wishes.....LP

petra
Full Name: Petra Wright

#1232 Post by petra » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:34 pm

hello,
does anyone have a copy of Tm Skryme's Bespoke Shoemaking they would consider selling? I am in the Bellingham WA.
thanks, Petra

walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#1233 Post by walrus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:12 am

Hi Petra we carry all of Tim's books in stock you can Private message me at larry@walrusshoe.com or go to our website www.walrusshoe.com

dw
Seanachaidh

#1234 Post by dw » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:05 am

Anyone looking for really high quality shoe laces in variety of colours...look no further:

Strupai Laces
DWFII--HCC Member