Looking for...

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
tmattimore

Re: Looking for...

#51 Post by tmattimore »

Southern leather of denver and memphis sell cork in caulking gun tubes. Manufactured by Cork Technologies. I prefer the product in the can as the caulk guns are difficult to seal after use. The product should be ironed to smooth out. I would not recomend for occasinal use as scraps from the floor will often due just as well. Southern leather in denver 800 525 9302
Tom Mattimore
jake
Full Name: Jake

#52 Post by jake »

Gary,

Go to http://www.acor.com/Foot%20Force%20Imprinter.htm

Acor calls it a "Foot Force Imprinter". I think they sell for $100.

Adios
gcunning
Full Name: Gary

#53 Post by gcunning »

Neat site Jake.
Thanks.
Tex Robin

#54 Post by Tex Robin »

All,

I know this is off the subject of bootmaking, at least the kind we make but:

I need some good warm snowproof boots to go to Sweden with. I know they will be uncomfortable and all that. I have looked and haven't been pleased with what I have found. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I need and where to get them. I can wait till I get to there, but they will be twice the price. Any help would be appreciated. But I am not sure about the POM POM hat yet..Image DW, are you sure you don't want to go with me and try out the hat there or see if a handle bar keeps the top lip warm? Janne says it is starting to snow in Stockholm....TR
Dick Anderson

#55 Post by Dick Anderson »

Tex

Check out cabelas.com for winter boots and other cold weather clothing. I wear a LaCrosse pak with liners and even at 40 below they will keep your feet warm if you don't stand still for to long. You may not believe it but cold weather can be enjoyable if you are dressed right. I envy you being in northern Sweden in the middle of winter. Of course just being in Sweden any time is being on the good side of life.

Dick
davidw

#56 Post by davidw »

Tex,

You're a traditional kind of guy. Why don't you try some traditional northern footwear? Mukluks are reported to be half the weight and twice as warm as pac-boots. They are regularly used on arctic and antarctic expeditions. Plus they'll keep you looking like someone who knows quality footwear instead of someone who buys their shoes at Walmart. Check out the moosehide beauties at
Steger Mukluks

David
Mike Strong

#57 Post by Mike Strong »

All,

Just got my 136W110 post machine together. It runs really smooth. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get a inst. book on this machine. Also can the stitch lenght be changed. Any help in these areas would be great. Thanks Mike
rosynay

#58 Post by rosynay »

David:
I can assure you Tex's feet never looks as if his footware came from WalMart.
I would imagine Tex would crawl in a hole before that happened.
RL
shane
Full Name: shane deeter
Been Liked: 2 times

#59 Post by shane »

Mike,
Try " CUTTERSEXCHANGE.COM " You can down load manuals for most singers.
Shane
Richard

#60 Post by Richard »

I tried to contact Arensberg & Son about ordering some supplies but could not get them on the phone. Does anyone know if they are still in business? Also does anyone know of a good supplier for getting general supplies? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard
rileycraig
Full Name: Riley G.

#61 Post by rileycraig »

Richard,

Yes, they are still in business. The phone number is 1-800-537-5495, and e-mail address is RARENSBERG@aol.com. Don't know what type of supplies you are looking for, or where you are located, but there are many reputable dealers across the country.

Southern Leather has several locations, but I only know of two, right off the top of my head...Dallas and Atlanta. Panhandle Leather in Amarillo, Texas is a fairly good source for boot and shoe leathers and other findings.

Hope this helps.

Good Bootmaking,

Riley
Terry Young

#62 Post by Terry Young »

My salesman from panhandle leather tells me that barge has stopped the production of press cement does anybody else manufacture press? where can i find celluloid to make it?
Richard

#63 Post by Richard »

Riley do you know what the contact number is for Panhandle Leather Co. and Southern Leather Co.? Thanks for responding to my inquiry.

Richard
shane
Full Name: shane deeter
Been Liked: 2 times

#64 Post by shane »

Richard,
I am not Riley, but I do have the numbers. Southern leather 214-637-4960. Panhandle leather 800-537-3945. I have never ordered from southern, but I have from panhandle. They are nice and good to deal with.
Shane
Tex Robin

#65 Post by Tex Robin »

All,

Both Southern Leather and Panhandle Leather co are reputable suppliers and I recommend both of them. Been dealing with both for many years...TR
rileycraig

#66 Post by rileycraig »

Richard,

I fully intended to bring that information home from the shop and get it to you, but it was a busy day (flimsy excuse, I know), and I forgot it. I was wrong about Southern Leather having a location in Atlanta...they don't, but I have all their 800 numbers, which I promise to send tomorrow. Since Shane was kind enough to provide you with Panhandle Leather, that's one less thing I'll have to remember (thanks Shane). As Tex and Shane both said, they are good to deal with.

Good Bootmaking,

Riley
rileycraig

#67 Post by rileycraig »

Richard,

Below are the locations and phone numbers of Southern Leather:

Birmingham, AL 1-800-467-2973
Cincinnati, OH 1-800-467-3716
Dallas, TX 1-800-737-2556
Denver, CO 1-800-525-9302
Houston, TX 1-800-467-7889
Memphis, TN 1-800-844-6767
New Orleans, LA 1-800-467-9031
St. Louis, MO 1-800-264-2053

Good Bootmaking,

Riley
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#68 Post by dw »

Terry,

It's been a while since you posted your query about celluloid cement. I rely on it...so I did some scouting around. The Ambroid Company still makes it and you can buy it in quanties ranging from pints to 55 gallon drums. As far as I can tell it is identical to Barge press cement (I've never used it but I described Barge to the company--celluloid in an acetone solvent--and they confirmed it was the same) and it runs $37.50 a gallon.

Contact August Baur at: baur@monad.net

or phone them at: 800-242-2794

I hope this works out and that you will let us all know if you purchase some. And what you think of it. I will probably have to buy a gallon or so after the first of the year, myownself.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
terry young

#69 Post by terry young »

DW, thanks im going to try some very soon and will let you all know if it is the same or a good substitute for barge press cement.Thanks again. Terry Young.
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#70 Post by paul »

Does anyone have, or maybe direct me to anyone who may have, 6" BROWN elastic? It seems to share rarity with hens teeth. I've been calling all over the country and haven't found it yet. I need at least 24", but I'd gladly take more if available.
PK
gaid
Full Name: Janne

#71 Post by gaid »

Paul,
I know of a source who have the elastic you are looking for. If you can't find it closer to you please contact me of list and I will help you with it. I'm afraid they don't ship overseas.
Janne Melkersson
paul

#72 Post by paul »

Thanks Janne,
I haven't looked in the orthopedic trades suppliers here in the US yet. I'll do that and if I'm unsuccessful I'll get back to you.
Thank you, PK
Mike Strong

#73 Post by Mike Strong »

Paul,
You might try Oregon Leather in Portland Ore. 1-800-634-8033 ask for Jim. They'll have what you need. I hope this helps.
Mike Strong
paul

#74 Post by paul »

Mike,
THANKS! That was the lead I was looking for. It's on it's way.
I'm also looking for a good tan rough out. Anybody got lead on that?
PK
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#75 Post by dw »

A quick update on the conversation regarding press cement. As I mentioned I was going to try a product called Ambroid that promised to be a good substitute for Barge press Cement. I finally got a quart and to tell the truth it made me sick Turns out Celluloid cement needs a "plasticizer." The Barge used an old formula in which camphor was the plasticizer. The Ambroid uses isobutyl acetate. Not good...at least not for my genetics.

Then I contacted Upaco Adhesives and today I received two pints of two different formulas of celluloid cement...neither of which use isobutyl acetate. Although neither uses camphor either. I'm not sure what the plasticizer actually is but both smell rather unobnoxious...a lot like the Barge in fact but to tell the truth not even as strong as the Barge. I am going to try them out and will report back but I am very confidant. That either of these will work just fine.

So, those who rely on celluloid cement for building up lasts or stiffening toe boxes need not worry...at least not for the foreseeable future. There are alternatives out there. The only real problem with the Upaco is that you have to buy five gallons at a time...although they will ship it in one gallon containers. But I always bought three gallons at a time anyway so two more won't bother me too much.

Anyway, I let you know how it goes.

BTW, Jake, Upaco also carries several different formulas of water based contact cement. They are both neoprene based so the "breathability" problem is still there to some extent but the the toxic fumes are not. They were designed for temp orary attachment of soles where stitching is intended and although they have a short "open" time they can be re-activated by heat. It's also supposed to stick to cased leather.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC