Looking for...

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
luckyduck

Re: Looking for...

#1126 Post by luckyduck »

Hey,

Does anyone know if and where I can buy 1/8" poron with a suede or other top layer so I can use it like a sock liner without gluing a layer on top?

Thanks.
Paul
donrwalker
Full Name: Donald Ross Walker

#1127 Post by donrwalker »

Paul try JMS plastics. New Jersey I think. If you can't find them I'll get you their address when I get out in the shop this morning.
courtney
Full Name: courtney schamach

#1128 Post by courtney »

Paul, I'm sure there is a a more legit source, but last time I was at beverlys crafts they had a big role that looked just like spenco insoles.
I guess it was neoprene wetsuit stuff with a green fabric top I think.

Courtney
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 8 times

#1129 Post by tjburr »

Paul,

I do not know if they have poron with a top layer, but I have ordered a number of such products including poron from http://www.atlasortho.com.

They have an on-line catalog if you wish to look and have been very helpful in the past.

Terry
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#1130 Post by sorrell »

I've been contacted by a man here in the States who wants to take a class to learn to build chukkas. Is there anyone offering such a class?

Lisa
bootmkr
Full Name: Lonnie Smith

#1131 Post by bootmkr »

Does anyone know where to find steel toe boxes for work boots.
donrwalker
Full Name: Donald Ross Walker

#1132 Post by donrwalker »

Lonnie

I have maybe a half dozen pair. Different shapes and sizes.

Don
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#1133 Post by walrus »

Lonnie
Do you have steel toe lasts ? They require a last that is carved out so the toe cap is inset into the line of the last, otherwise the cap will be very prominent.You really need the cap to fit the toe character of your last.The insole must be cut to the outside of the steel toe to be effective,and protect your toes/feet. If you are making them for your self its one thing you still want them to be constructed right, if you are making them for others you must have them tested by the safety toe people ( I don't have the name of the organization that will certify their worthiness)the people that make the caps will have that information. You will need. that certification in order for your insurance to cover you .It is a very expensive and lengthy process .To be certified . Been there done that Bought the tee shirt LOL. Not trying to dissuade you from making them,Just educate you as to the liability involved. You can give me a call and I will share what information I have.262.882.6006
Hope this helps.
Respectfully

Larry Waller
Walrus Shoe & Leather Co LLC
www.walrusshoe.com
bootmkr
Full Name: Lonnie Smith

#1134 Post by bootmkr »

Hey Larry , thanks for the info I'll give you a call on Monday. Sundays are our day off...
danfreeman
Full Name: Dan Freeman

#1135 Post by danfreeman »

Larry's right on about the steel-toed shoes. I've looked into it, and the problem is less one of protecting the feet than of meeting all the requirements to have your shoes certified, for insurance purposes. I offer almost-as-good protection to those who ask for it: 2 or even 3 layers of 1/8 inch thick celastic (acetone-softened plastic), which makes an ugly, but very strong toebox. But it is not steel, nor as strong, nor will it satisfy litigation-wary medical insurance providers.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#1136 Post by dw »

If a steel toe is not mounted correctly...and sometimes even if it is...a large weight hitting the shoe just right can cause the toe to tip backwards and cut off a person's toes.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Little Jack Dandiprat in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives, the shorter he grows.[/center]
hidesmith
Full Name: Bruce Graham

#1137 Post by hidesmith »

The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) will want to test the shoes you put steel toes in - they will want to test every style of shoe that you make with steel toes.

DW is correct - even if the steel toe is correctly fitted, it can still dislodge and cut off the toes it's supposed to protect.

Consider - the ANSI standard for steel toe protection is 75 lb. If an item heavier than 75 lb is dropped on a steel toed shoe, you're on your own.

I work with granite and have worked in a quarry in the past, and while steel toed shoes are required in larger quarries, the small one I worked in didn't require them (small family run quarry) because flattened toes are more easily repaired than removed toes. When the item weighing six tons lands on your toes, they're more than likely gone whether or not the toe is reinforced.

Also, make darned sure the shoe fits, asstretching the toe gets a bit difficult with a steel toed shoe. It might be possible if a cutting torch, or forge is used, but . . .
Sorry!
johnw
Full Name: John Warr

#1138 Post by johnw »

Anyone know where I can source a few (5?) meters of 45 cm wide elastic in the UK ? My supplier appears to be out of stock.
johnw
Full Name: John Warr

#1139 Post by johnw »

I could probably get away with 12" elastic as it happens...
xenon

#1140 Post by xenon »

Anyone know where I can find a 12 line per inch fudge wheel. It looks like Osbourne currently ends at 7 lpi and all I could find in 12 lpi was older expensive Gomph and Osbourne overstitch wheels.

Alternatively, I might try to build one myself using appropriate small gear wheels. Anyone ever tried this?
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#1141 Post by lancepryor »

Patrice:

Goetz (available through various companies here in the US) used to carry fudge wheels, though I don't know the spi. I believe that Barnsley/Woodware Repetitions is offering them, though they are quite pricey. Here in North America, you can order Barnsley stuff through Edwin Hale. There is also Arford Ltd in the UK who offer a variety of shoemaking tools. You can request a catalog at http://www.arfordenterprises.co.uk/ShoeTools.html.

Another option is this ebay vendor, whose fudge wheels include replaceable wheels and 3 pitches, though I don't know if any are 12 spi -- you could inquire, I am sure. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200811586088 He seems to list these quite frequently.

Of course, there is ebay more broadly; I have picked up many fudge wheels there, though condition can be hard to predict.

Finally, you can make a stitch marker from a screwdriver or other such item; these can be made for any stitch length. see here: http://www.thehcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28997#p28997

and here:

http://www.thehcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29023#p29023

Hope that helps.

Lance

ps I will look at my collection of fudge wheels. I may have duplicates of the 12 spi variety.
xenon

#1142 Post by xenon »

Wow, great info!

thank you very much Lance

Oh BTW, you gave me a recomendation to check with Raphael Sewing (in my area) regarding a used pfaff 491/591 post bed machine. They didn't have any but it turns they have some new clones of the 491 at a great price! I am going to pick one up in a weeks time.
dw
Seanchaidh

#1143 Post by dw »

Patrice,

What are the clones? What brandname and model number?

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

artvanhecke
Full Name: Arthur Van Hecke

#1144 Post by artvanhecke »

Patrice,

The Techsew 830-2 is the two needle clone of the Pfaff 491. It has two needles (you can sew with just one) and subsequently two bobbins. This makes the post bigger by 2x than the one needle version. This may or may not be a problem for you, I prefer the smaller post that drops off quickly on the left side of the needle. From observation of the Raphael website, it appears he only has the two needle.

There is currently only one (that I know of) manufacturer of that post bed in China, and if anyone else markets a 491, they get it from him, so it is pretty much the same animal wherever you buy. They do a very good job making that machine. Cowboy and Cobra both market the same machine in the US, they do have the single needle too, I have a Cobra single needle, works great.

Art
dw
Seanchaidh

#1145 Post by dw »

Arthur,

I have to agree...I don't see much use in a double needle machine for bespoke work and the post ends up being a major stumbling block for the very things you want a post to do.

Do you know of any other 491 clones? With a driven presser foot and roller feed?

I have a Pfaff 491 that I would sell in a heartbeat if I could find something comparable...with a better engineered stitch length adjusting mechanism.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

artvanhecke
Full Name: Arthur Van Hecke

#1146 Post by artvanhecke »

Hi DW,

http://www.leathermachineco.com/catalog.php?item=26

This is one that I have, it is very close to the 491. Stitch length is easily adjustable. Call Steve and see if he can bring one to the Wichita Falls show if you attend that.

Art
xenon

#1147 Post by xenon »

Arthur I knew the machine was a double needle but i didn't realize the bed would be thicker (though I should have obviously). (I guess I should have called it a 493 clone maybe?)

I was also looking at the single needle cobra 8810, but shipping to me (Quebec) would have to be pretty expensive!

DWFII, Keep in mind that I am a complete newb with such machines, but my local Mauser/Pfaff rep told me that the new 591 had improvements in tension and stitch length adjustments but was otherwise like the 491 (upper and lower roller feed mechanism, servo motor etc.) The 591 is a little more than double the price of the cobra 8810 though. Also many places told me Pfaff parts were tough to get. Is this really an issue?
kemosabi
Full Name: Nat Ledbetter
Been Liked: 1 time

#1148 Post by kemosabi »

DW, How is the stitch length adjusted on your 491?

On mine you push/hold a button to stop the mechanism, then dial the stitch length with the roller wheel. Curious if yours is different.

-Nat
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#1149 Post by romango »

That's how it works on my 491.
dw
Seanchaidh

#1150 Post by dw »

That's how it works on mine too. But it's not easy or simple.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member