Looking for...

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
kevin_l
Full Name: Kevin W. Leary

Re: Looking for...

#1101 Post by kevin_l »

I know this is over simplistic, butttt. Where can I buy 24 inch cloth measuring tapes with a metal loop end? I tried Google and got a zillion hits and no real answer.
Thanks
1947redhed
Full Name: Georgene Mckim
Been Liked: 1 time

#1102 Post by 1947redhed »

Try manhattan wardrobe supply.
http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/cgi-wardrobesupplies/sb/productsearch.cgi?storei d=*1cc07fe5913d80a041a846ab8cdea0e4

The 24 inch tapes specifically designed for shoemaking are very hard to find. The retractable sewing models have inches on one side and cm on the other and usually have a metal end with a hole in it. Also try a JoAnnes
yardage store or Michaels craft store. Dritz makes a retractable model that works well for shoemaking.
Georgene
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#1103 Post by dw »

You'd have to purchase shoemaking tapes from Goetz or some other European supply house.

As far as a metal ring on the end...who knows? As Georgene says try stores that sell sewing notions.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Little Jack Dandiprat in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives, the shorter he grows.[/center]
djulan
Full Name: David Ulan

#1104 Post by djulan »

I now have available the non-stretch yellow shoemaker's measuring tapes by "hoechtmass", Germany. These are new in the package and are 70cm long with a metal eyelet in one end. One side has graduations of cm and mm up to 60cm. The second side has both English size and Stitch. ("Stitch" corresponds to Paris Point, or Euro sizing) If you are interested, please private email me. david@cobcord.com
kemosabi
Full Name: Nat Ledbetter

#1105 Post by kemosabi »

Anyone have a roller-feed post machine they want to sell, or know of one for sale, besides from a dealer?
A vintage foot powered machine would really be great, but Beggers can't be choosers; eh! so I'll take even a modern one at this point.

Thx,
-Nat
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#1106 Post by dearbone »

I am looking for French calf in reddish brown to be specific, any referral is very appreciated.

Nasser
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray

#1107 Post by jon_g »

Nasser, Have you tried Hardke or GH Leather. Their French calf leathers are very different, but both are excellent for the right job.
courtney
Full Name: courtney schamach

#1108 Post by courtney »

Whats the story with Garlin Nueman calf? It is Way cheaper than the others.

Courtney
dw
Seanchaidh

#1109 Post by dw »

Courtney,

It's not french calf.

I haven't bought anything but burnishable buffalo calf from them in a while so I can't speak to the quality. But if you try it out, be sure to let us know what you think.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Little Jack Dandiprat in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives, the shorter he grows.[/center]
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#1110 Post by romango »

GN has burnishable calf but only in one color (last time I checked). This is a great product, if you like burgundy and want to add color from there. Remember, burnishable means not completely finished.

Their other calf products are a bit overly stretchy.
dearbone

#1111 Post by dearbone »

Thank you all for your guidance,

Jon, I will contact Hardke for the leather, to be frank,i don't like ordering leather without a swatch or seeing and feeling it first, what do you mean, "Their French calf leathers are very different", Is it the big sizes of the skins or something else? Thanks.

Nasser
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#1112 Post by paul »

If I may jump in...
The GH FC isn't the least expensive I'll say that! Seems like a huge leap in price in the last year. But it's soo nice!

I've probably bought a half dozen or more FC skins from them, and it works out great most of the time, by far. And it's so soft as it wears, it just improves in tactile delight.

However it also seems like it must be a hard skin to get perfect in every way.
DW has mentioned problems he's had in the past with the finish, tho Greg has always addressed it honorably. I've had checking on toes and near screws while crimping full cut blockers, and Greg has always been approachable to me with issues also.
But this last skin, the most expensive one, tore beyond the margins, and ruined a front blocker. I was very disappointed. I recognize I may have been partialy to blame, but there I acknowledged it. It also didn't rub out as well at the break on the last pair.

But again I'll say it has always produced a fine looking boot, whenever I've worked it.

Paul
jon_g

#1113 Post by jon_g »

Paul, I have similar feelings about the price of GH French calf, although I haven't had any problems with it. The main thing for me is the weight and body, the GH is much softer and suppler than Hardke. Both are good for different applications, and both companies sent me swatches, Hardke is especially generous with theirs.
dw
Seanchaidh

#1114 Post by dw »

Several weeks ago, there was a discussion on the Forum about lasting nails or wire brads...

I have located a source for inch and a quarter (1-1/4" ), 18 gauge wire brads at a very reasonable price (under $6.00 lb., $25.00 minimum or pay small order fee).

It is Freeman Manufacturing. Phone: 1.800.321.8511. Ask for Linda and tell her I sent you.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
bj_goodman

#1115 Post by bj_goodman »

I am looking for a pair of lasting pincers which I think are of European design. (I have seen a photo of the ones I want on this site but can't recall where.) They have much straighter jaws and a hammer on both sides of the jaws. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,
Brian
artvanhecke
Full Name: Arthur Van Hecke

#1116 Post by artvanhecke »

Hi Brian,

I have a pair of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170837601859&fromMakeTrack=tr ue&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

they are a bit pricey, but work ok. I would like to get a pair a little thinner too, but can't find out where they come from in Italy.

If anyone knows who sells them in Europe (or the US for that matter) give a shout.

Art
tibthebear
Full Name: Tibere Benoist d'Anthenay

#1117 Post by tibthebear »

Brian, Arthur

have a look in there, looks similar, I'm not sure about sizes though.

https://www.minke.de/downloads/pdf/e_werkzeuge.pdf
bj_goodman

#1118 Post by bj_goodman »

That is the design I am looking for. Thanks for the photo. I am hoping for a bit narrower jaw and longer handles but It is mostly the straighter jaws I am looking for.
Thanks again.
Brian
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor

#1119 Post by lancepryor »

You can order similar pincers (maybe even the exact same ones?) made by Schein from UCO International. The number is 1-800-541-4030. Ask for Jim Stoga, who does all the ordering. The narrow size is #062490-200.

I got a pair of these via a group buy from Goetz and find them quite nice, particularly for lasting the toe and the heel.

Lance
dearbone

#1120 Post by dearbone »

Greetings,

I am looking for a source(supplier) for women high heels, plastic or wood. Thank you for your help.

Nasser
jon_g

#1121 Post by jon_g »

Nasser,

There was a company in Massachusetts that made plastic heels, I'm going to try and dig up this information for you.

I am trying to find a peg rasp, ideally I'd find one for the forefoot of a shoe and also the round one for getting in the heel area. Does anyone have a lead?
dearbone

#1122 Post by dearbone »

Jon,

Were you thinking of soletech.com in Salem MA,Jim kindly sent me their address and they seem to carry a large selection of plastic heels.
I will keep my eyes open for peg rasps.

Thank you Tom.

Nasser
jesselee
Full Name: Jesse Lee Cantrell

#1123 Post by jesselee »

Jon,

For peg rasps y'all might want to try dental rasps for horses.

Cheers,

JesseLee
bj_goodman

#1124 Post by bj_goodman »

If you are looking for a tooth rasp used on horses, look for a "float" rasp. These guys tend to have about a 4" slightly curved rasp mounted on a metal shaft that comes out the center of the back for about an inch then turns 90 degrees and ends about a foot away. Usually you mount your own handle. Pieh tool may have some-they are a farrier supply house. I think a horse float may be too big to slip inside a toe space. It is worth a try though. There is a Japanese rasp made of hacksaw blades woven together on an ofset handle-I saw it on one of the tool sites online but don't recall where. Might be worth a look at also.
I just saw some peg rasps in the Schein catalogue mentioned a couple of posts ago. UCO in Chicago was the contact.
Brian
kemosabi
Full Name: Nat Ledbetter

#1125 Post by kemosabi »

Or just make your own:
14656.jpg

A bit of aluminum strap and some 100 grit glued to the end. This one is no good for the heel, but works great for digging way up inside the toe. Nice thing is, you can bend it around to fit just like you want, but it's still stiff enough to get the job done.

-Nat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.