Looking for...

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
amuckart
Full Name: Alasdair Muckart
Been Liked: 5 times

Re: Looking for...

#926 Post by amuckart »

JesseLee,

This is possibly a conversation for the Curved Needle thread (admin?)

What's the issue you're having with your Junker? Is it having difficulty piercing your sole leather? Are you pre-cutting the channel in the sole?
jesselee
Full Name: Jesse Lee Cantrell

#927 Post by jesselee »

Alasdair,

I have not cut a channel, just used 9oz oak tanned for the welt with about a 12 iron sole.

Cheers,

JesseLee
amuckart

#928 Post by amuckart »

What needle plate are you using? If it's the one with the upturned lip you'll need to precut a channel. If it's not the one with the upturned lip it might not be designed for outsoling.

Both Junker & Pedersen made a machine to do this but they're like hen's teeth to find.
jesselee

#929 Post by jesselee »

It does not have the upturned lip, its just flat. Great for boot side seams though. Bobbin winders are hard to find too. If I had a picture I could make one..
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#930 Post by lancepryor »

I have little to add to this conversation, except to say that if you watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uQE51-FuZg

you will see at about 2:44 what (based on the foregoing discussion) would appear to be a Gritzner in use by St Crispin's Shoes. They are an Austrian/Romanian company making high-end MTM and RTW shoes. Perhaps they could point people toward a supplier of parts?

Lance
amuckart

#931 Post by amuckart »

JesseLee,

The flat plate will work, but it's not the one designed for outsoling leather soled shoes.

What's the problem you're having with the machine?

I have a picture of a bobbin winder. I'll turn it into plans and put it in the "Curved Needle" thread. They're dead simple to make.
amuckart

#932 Post by amuckart »

Lance,

Thanks for that video link, it's fun to watch. That's not a Gritzner though, it looks like a Rafflenbeul MS55, which is a hand cranked needle and awl machine. The Gritzner is a threaded needle machine.

I direly want a Rafflenbeul for the collection but I've never seen one [img]http://www.thehcc.org/forum/images/old_smilies/sad.gif"%20ALT="sad[/img]

There's a picture of one here, from a chap in Germany whose collection of machines I'm terribly jealous of (even if my 29 is older than his)

http://sk-messer.de/ledernaemaschinen.htm
jesselee

#933 Post by jesselee »

Alasdair,

Much obliged for the plans for the bobbin winder. I guess the only problem is that I'm getting shorter stitch length with the out-soling and its hard to keep consistent. Perhaps it needs a guide???

Cheers,

JesseLee
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 8 times

#934 Post by tjburr »

JesseLee,

I built myself an upturned plate for my Junker. I posted a description at SD-28 Junker & Ruh Plate Construction

I created the pattern from my other plate. If you want to make one and have any problems do not hesitate to ask.

Terry
jesselee

#935 Post by jesselee »

Terry,

Thanks muchly. I'm right handy when it comes to making metal parts.

Cheers,

JesseLee
tomo

#936 Post by tomo »

Hey Alasdair,
Roydon Power at Footcom in Petone has needles and probably the knives to.
I can't post a pic until tomorrow as my camera is at the shop.
The needles are a size but the thread is heavy too - Barbour's 18/6 cord, although Mine is currently running a waxed poly braid about 1.5mm.

Jesse the shoe or boot is sewn right way up and the knife cuts the sole on the ground surface.

best regards
Tomo
jesselee

#937 Post by jesselee »

Thanks Tom, always interested in how these old gals work.

Cheers,

JesseLee
bluecarpenter
Full Name: Mark Tucker

#938 Post by bluecarpenter »

Is there a difference in the shoemaking hammers I keep seeing. I would like to get a good one but not sure what I'm looking at. I have one of the what I call a small claw hammers without the fork on the back. I've been looking at the what I've heard termed french style. Is it just personal preference?

thanks Mark
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies

#939 Post by dearbone »

Here are some shoe/boot hammers, the one on the left is what is refer to as "French patten", The 2 in the middle refer to as "London Patten", the one on the right is sole attaching hammer and it should never touches nails or tacks and to stay bruise free surface.
12683.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluecarpenter

#940 Post by bluecarpenter »

of the french or london pattern which would be better? The sole attaching hammer is the one I have.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#941 Post by dw »

Sorry but I've always known the one on the right as a "shoemakers" hammer and Salaman lists the two in the middle as German pattern hammers.
12685.jpg

The hammer on the right side of the pincer is a London pattern.

Between a French and German pattern there isn't much difference but London pattern has a very different and useful pane and the head is set at a different angle than the others.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dearbone

#942 Post by dearbone »

Now that's question i wish i didn't have to answer here lest i get the English coming after meImage,I like my little French hammer,I wish i had the bigger size too,it is my upper making hammer and also a good lasting hammer,both end of the hammers are useful,one side for tacking/nailing and the other side i use for lasting by pushing the wrinkles around the feather in using the chine of the hammer,having said that my big London hammer been with me for a long time and will stay in use to the end.

Nasser
tomo

#943 Post by tomo »

Thanks Jesse, Alasdair,
Here a some pics showing the stand, knife and wax pot. Alasdair I can't see a wax scraper but the pot still has liquid in it although I don't use it on the poly. It smells vaguely like disinfectant or something similar and has the viscosity of light oil, don't know it it's still good.
{my picture}
{my picture}
{my picture}
{my picture}
{my picture}

More power to y'awl
Tomo
Sorry guys, it's been a while, I'll have to try later.

(Message edited by Tomo on January 11, 2011)

artzend
Full Name: Tim Skyrme
Been Liked: 2 times

#944 Post by artzend »

Mark

the difference between the French and English pattern hammers is the angle of the striking head in relation to the handle. The one DW calls a German pattern seems to be the same as the English pattern to me.

The three on the left of Nasser's photo I have always known as French pattern.

The major difference between French and English patterns is that the French pattern hammer is designed to be used sitting down and the English is designed to be used standing, hence the different angles of striking surfaces.

Tim
www.shoemakingbook.com
dearbone

#945 Post by dearbone »

I think i opened a new can of worms by naming my hammers,from looking at Barnsley tool catalogue my two hammers in the middle resemble the German pattern than the London pattern,They came from a local boot/shoe maker of Ukrainian background who no longer has any use for them.

Nasser
bluecarpenter

#946 Post by bluecarpenter »

Ok thanks everyone. Now where can I buy one of each. The French and the London pattern. Used would be nice.

Most of the time I will be sitting, but I can already see some advantages to the London pattern DW mentioned.

mark
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray
Been Liked: 1 time

#947 Post by jon_g »

Mark,

I think you've stumbled upon a subject that many of us are passionate about.

In Nasser's photo, the middle right hammer, I think it's been called a German style, is similar to what I use as my work horse. I last sitting down and find the angle is very comfortable. I bought mine about ten years ago and it was new (actually it has a German word printed into it)

I have a French hammer that I use for soles, like Nasser's it doesn't touch nails. I must say it makes contact at an odd angle, and I think it might be uncomfortable to hit nails with.

Jon
bluecarpenter

#948 Post by bluecarpenter »

I understand. When I'm framing or doing construction. I have to have my 20oz. estwing hammer. No other will do. Its got balance and works good for me.

Now I just have to find a couple of these hammers.

I've found one one line looks like the french style but it has a tab that comes down part way on the handle with what looks like a pin thru it??
tomo

#949 Post by tomo »

What the! Try again...

Best,
Tomo
Dunno what's going on, I keep getting an 'internal server" message

amuckart

#950 Post by amuckart »

Tom,

Email 'em to me and I'll post them.

Which browser are you using?