Looking for...

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
shoestring

Re: Looking for...

#251 Post by shoestring »

Can any one tell me where to find the wooden base that's all in one heel and sole used to make "Clogs" .Thanks.

Ed
dai
Full Name: David Kilgour

#252 Post by dai »

Edward

To see who supplies what to whom among British traditional clogmakers see http://www.morrisdancing.org/clog2004.html

Is it traditional clogs you want to make?
shoestring

#253 Post by shoestring »

David,
Thanks I did contact a couple of people with hopes that they may use a supplier in the USA as well.There was one guy with a web site that uses just what I am looking for.Again thanks.

Ed
shoestring

#254 Post by shoestring »

Have anyone used "Paisano's"for any findings they are located in El Paso,TX.I ran across their adverstisement in the New Big Book 2004 put out by Shop Talk.

Ed
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#255 Post by sorrell »

Ed,
I ordered a wheel for my finisher from them a few years ago. If I remember correctly, I ordered at a show and paid in advance. I had to call them AT LEAST once a week for almost a year to get it. I'm convinced that if I hadn't bugged the life out of them I'd never have gotten it. They told me they'd ship it "next Tuesday" for months.

Lisa
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#256 Post by walrus »

Hi for all of you out there that don't have fume hoods for your shop,and are still breathing those toxic fumes from your adhesives . Here is a link where you can buy Bench top SS/Fume hoods with floresent lights at a price cheaper than you could buy the materials. They have 49 of them in stock and built properly for the job check it out. I have no connection to them just thought I would pass it on. A nice way to save your lungs and stomach.Click here http://www.labextreme.com/detail.cfm?autonumber=39693
Larry Waller
Denise Lomus

#257 Post by Denise Lomus »

Hi everyone. I'm finally getting around to actually finishing a pair of shoes. Can anyone suggest a quality finishing ink/dye for soles? Would like to have in a several colors. Is there a brand or supplier that is a "trade staple"?

Thanks,
Denise
sharon

#258 Post by sharon »

Greetings, I am wondering if brass clinching nails can be obtained in a length less than 1/2" - say 3/8". I would like to make sandals that are nailed, w/ two thin layers of leather and rubber outer sole, but would like the look of brass nails on the top rather than steel (iron?) Or, any other ideas on how to create attractive nailing on a sandal? Thanks, Sharon
Lisa Cresson

#259 Post by Lisa Cresson »

Yes, Sharon,
Me too on brass clinching nails. And where can I get those square long thin brass nails bootmakers use?

Anyone have some sandal lasts with toe cuts?

And thumbs or thimbles for the top of the last.

Regards,
Lisa
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#260 Post by walrus »

Hi Lisa
I have new last thimbles and last hinges, in stock give me a call 1.262.882.6006
Larry Waller
larry@walrusshoe.com
Walrus Shoe & Leather Co.LLC
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 136 times

#261 Post by das »

Lisa,

The maker of the brass clinch tacks for soling is D.B. Gurney, Whitman, MA. Try directory assistance--they have no e-mail that I know of. They sell direct.

Don't know about the long "square" brass nails for bootmakers, but the long round ones for heel nailing (in brass) come from Brockton Nail & Tack Co., or Tack & Nail????
P.WINTHROP

#262 Post by P.WINTHROP »

TO ALL.

THE OTHER DAY I HAD A VISIT FROM A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE WHO WAS THE FORMAN FOR EVANS SLIPPER IN WAKEFIELD MASS. FOR MANY YEARS.
HE CLAIMS THAT UNITED SHOE MACHINERY HAS FILED FOR CHAPTER 11. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THAT?
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF CORFAM HAS ANY VALUE IN BOOTMAKING ?
THANKS.
PAUL W.
Lisa Cresson

#263 Post by Lisa Cresson »

As far as I know, USMC is a UK corporation now BUSMC. The ThomasB2B directory lists it here:
http://www.thomasb2b.com/ENUS/shoe-parts-accessories/lasts-boot-shoe/index.html

Seano, Sterling, Vulcan and Clark Metal Lasts are also listed. But not J&V, as they are in another section, under shoe parts and accessories at:
http://www.thomasb2b.com/ENUS/shoe-parts-accessories/soles-boot-shoe/index_4.htm l

I did find a run of sandal lasts with toe cuts and in whole sizes only.

Try Deacon in New Jersey for Redenbacher. I think they have precuts. I did find a place in Canada who was a shoe repair and orthopedic shop which had precuts and bends, but cannot find the link as I am on a different computer.

www.newbigbook.com has Deacon's address if you search under supplier category and poke around.

Regards,
LIsa
tom mattimore

#264 Post by tom mattimore »

USM, hudson, and International are now a conglomerate having merged last year. If you need parts for a USM machine try Pamco as the new group is outrageous on pricing.
salsa
Full Name: Richard Castellar

#265 Post by salsa »

Tom,

Correct me if I'm wrong but USMC was never a part of BUSMC, was it? Two seperate entities, I'm sure.
tmattimore

#266 Post by tmattimore »

Busm, International, American shoe machinery were all set up by the Supreme Court when they ordered the break up of USM in 1955. The Main Citation used by the states and the DOJ against Microsoft was USM v U.S. 1916, 1955. If they had succeded our children and grand children would be writing on clay tablets about the good old days when we made computers and software in the U.S. and the shoe industry or shoemaking will be long forgotten.
tom mattimore
ragnar
Full Name: Paul Ragnar Roos

#267 Post by ragnar »

Looking for a source of outsole sheet material is natural crepe, and the old "red rubber" for "Desert boots"

thanks,

Ragnar
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#268 Post by dw »

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy, Paul.

If you are looking for natural rubber soling material, it is more commonly known as "Plantation crepe." Or sometimes as "gum rubber crepe." Most finders still carry this. Do a keyword search for "McPherson's" here on the forum and you'll find the contact info. They are a "finder" in Seattle.

Red rubber soling may be harder. I would guess that you'd have to look overseas. Did you try a Google search?

There are folks on this Forum that are into re-enacting and re-inventing older styles of footwear...right down to the correct eyelets...so maybe one of them will chime in here.

DWFII
In the High Desert of Central Oregon
sharon Raymond

#269 Post by sharon Raymond »

gREETINGS,Plantation crepe can be ordered from Shreiner Co., 800-722-9915, PO Box 347, Killbuck, OH 44637. And thanks for the New Yorker article reference, Dan, I'll pick the magazine up on my way to work! (I now am a sales clerk at a little "funky" shop in Amherst, bartering for being able to sell my shoes there. It's a great arrangement!) Best, Sharon
ragnar

#270 Post by ragnar »

Thanks for the swift reply re: crepe outsole material. I appreciate it.

Ragnar
roy_najecki
Full Name: Roy Najecki

#271 Post by roy_najecki »

Lisa,

I was at D.B. Gurney's last Monday scrounging around for old hobnails, but I didn't read your posting until a few minutes ago, otherwise I would have asked for what you wanted. While looking around I noticed bins of brass tacks, brass trunk tacks, etc... Dave Gurney owns the company and you can reach him at 781-447-4411.

Regards,
Roy Najecki
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 136 times

#272 Post by das »

Paul,

On that red neoprene crepe, like the old saddle shoes, my local finder has some: AGS-Cudas

AGS Inc.
P.O. Box 6444
11234 Air Park Road
Ashland, VA 23005
Tel: 804-798-1891
Fax: 804-798-1897
ragnar

#273 Post by ragnar »

Mr. Saguto,

You folks are sure helpful, thanks again!

Ragnar
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#274 Post by dw »

Paul Winthrop,

As far as this bootmaker is concerned corfam has no place in bespoke making of any kind. But that's just one man's opinion.

I received your HCC dues yesterday. Dues no longer go to me as I am no longer membership contact. I will forward your check but FYI, dues go to:

The H.C.C.
c/o Hoover, Daughtrey & Haag, P.C.
147 Penniman Road
Williamsburg, VA 23185

With regard to your other questions, either ask them here on the forum (in the appropriate discussions) or include an email address on your next post (this can be accomplished permanently by registering as a member of the forum) and I will do my best. I regret to say that I don't seem to have time to do a paper "email" anymore. (Didn't they used to call those "letters?") Image I have a student here now and there just isn't enough time in the day. Besides when a question is asked on the forum (as opposed to private email)...everyone benefits from the answer...mostly. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
Lisa Cresson

#275 Post by Lisa Cresson »

Dear Roy Najecki,

Thanks for the 'tack tip' and I wondered if you knew where I could get thimbles for the last tops?

Regards,
Lisa